HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Im sorry but why wouldnt we boo his sorry butt right out of the building???

this is sports, not kindergarten. We wont look "small" we will look like passionate fans who are pissed/scorned/frustrated which is exactly what I will be...

Suter could have left on reasonably good terms if he had just kept his yap shut or offered the standard platitudes that most athletes say in these situations... but he went out of his way to call out Poile and seemingly set conditions for his return, which by any reasonable account have beeen met... so if he still leaves, then he will be a lying sack of dog crap and deserves all the scorn we can heap on him...
Exactly. If he leaves, I probably would have had just the normal level of hate for him, just like I have for every other player on every other team. But Suter couldn't help himself and had to mouth off, say things he later had to clarify, lead the fanbase ( and the organization?) on about his desire to stay, blah, blah, blah. If he leaves after the way he mishandled this, then it's "Thanks for the memories, now get the **** out of here you bum". Everybody can handle it however they want, but for me, Suter has set off down a path that there's no coming back from.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Lidstrom retiring is official. Bye bye Suter.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Lidstrom retiring is official. Bye bye Suter.
Now that would be a good reason to boo him. Even though I would understand the move by him.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Legionnaire11

Suter going to Detroit would be STUPID. Not saying he won't do it, but he has to realize that at this point he would be viewed as Lidstrom's replacement... even as good as Suter is, there is no replacing Lidstrom and he will NEVER live up to expectations in Detroit. The only player that could replace Lidstrom would be a healthy Bobby Orr, anyone else is setting themselves up for failure (or at least perceived failure in the minds of Wings fans)

Old
05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

"I want to do what's best for my family... so we're moving to Detroit." Makes complete sense.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
glenngineer

I've read a lot of the posts regarding Suter and have a few questions about why everyone is so ticked off with him.

1. He is still our property until July 1. If before then and now he signs a contract with us, that's great, if not, he's earned the right to see what is out there in the land of unrestricted free agency. While he made a comment at the All-Star game that was not endearing to many of us fans, has any one of us lived a mistake free life when it comes to comments we make? I know I haven't so if anyone has never said anything that was wrong or has led the perfect oral lifestyle, feel free to kick Suter all you want. Yes, he should've picked a better way to handle what he said but the media has a funny way of twisting things out of proportion and looking for a hot angle to their story. At the end of the day, he has fulfilled his contractual obligations to us and has the right to do whatever he chooses to do.

2. Those saying he isn't worth upwards of $7 million a season are delusional. He is an elite defenseman entering his prime. If Kimmo was worth close to $7 million, Suter is easily worth $7 million. People don't realize how good he is because the guy rarely makes mistakes out there and that's exactly what you want from a defenseman. While people say he wants to be out from Weber's shadow, is that really true? Maybe he likes being there since he's a quiet guy and Weber has the spotlight on him. Other things to contemplate about how good he is, on the grand stage of the Olympics, he was arguably the best defenseman on the ice, in the entire tournament and he was paired with Rafalski who looked all-world, why, because he was playing with Suter. The similarities in Suter's play to what Lidstrom brought to Detroit was an easy switch for Rafalski to make. Weber played with Niedermayer so his transition was easy too. I dare say this though, you take away Suter and his puck handling from Weber and the drop off is going to be much greater than if you take Weber's physical play away from Suter. Suter is still going to mark guys like Nash and get the puck away from them pretty easily. Ever notice who had the job of skating around and finding the most skilled player on the ice? It was Suter while Weber took the front of the net to guard Rinne. You don't build a team like we have and remove one of the key pieces and not expect a drop off.

3. Drop off in the team. Sure, we've lost guys to free agency in the past and had the ability to replace them from within. Who do we have that can step in for Suter? I think Josi is ready for prime time but his injury history scares the heck out of me. If one thing is said, Suter doesn't have the durability issues Josi has had. I would even dare to say Josi has missed more games this past season and what he might have played last year than Suter has missed in his entire career here.

4. I'm not saying Suter is staying but if he really truly wanted out, why is even bothering with seeing Poile? There would be no point to seeing Poile if he was truly gone. Not saying he's coming back either but if he were out the door and was saying adios, he would just say to Poile, I'm going to free agency, thanks for the effort and great times here but I'm gone. Maybe he's meeting with Poile to say hey, I'm heading to free agency and maybe we can still work something out. The fact that it sounds like multiple meetings were set sounds better than worse to me.

5. For all the harsh talk people are throwing at Suter, why does he get the garbage treatment when a guy like Rads bolted on his contract, the team gives him an olive branch and says you can play 9 games to finish out your ELC and then he violates team policies during the playoffs. You want to talk about major character flaws, that's them. I love Rads and want him here but not if he's going to act like that. Suter made one bad comment but we're ready to run him out of town. Rads screwed the team over on multiple occasions and people are like, whatever. So we're mad at a guy for one stupid comment but played his butt off for us over the last 9 years and we're gonna give Rads the shrug of the shoulders? I fail to see the logic in any of that.

People can say what they want about Suter but I'm sure glad he was here and hope he's back because I think we're a better team with him then without him. If we fill his money slot with a forward of some sort, it's not going to make up for the loss we'll feel on the back end.

Suter wants to be on a consistent winner and while we've made the playoffs, have we done enough to say to him, stick with us, we're right there on the verge? That's up for debate and that's something Poile has to convince him of. Poile went out and made moves to better the club and I think Suter saw that, was it enough for him is the question.

I think there are a few things that bode well for us, Nashville is a great family place which he has stated is important for him and his family. He and Weber being tight is another positive. They have formed an elite pairing and going anywhere else isn't going to match what they have on the ice together. We have a young core that should only get better. Teams that may covet him are either aging, have a smaller window of opportunity or no cap space to really make the move.

Until I hear otherwise, I'll keep my opinion of what Suter does to myself but I'm certainly not going to lambast a guy who hasn't signed elsewhere at this point but even if he does, he has earned that right. Imagine us as professionals who have gone to college only to be told, you can only work in certain places. Would that be fair to us? No. The system is set up the way it is. He played by the rules. We took a chance and went all in and we decided to keep him at the deadline. These are the decisions our management made. Suter now has decisions he has to make. Why be mad at someone because he's earned the right to do something to possibly better his chance at winning and be in a place where he and his family feel at home?

Old
05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
NoNecksCurse

suter isn't even close to lidstrom. I honestly feel suter is best as a "1B" instead of being the man somewhere.. he could prove me wrong but I doubt it. I feel he is set up to succeed the most here behind weber and let him be the man or "1A"... if suter signs in detroit .... ha to both the wings and suter. they will both be disappointed.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:28 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
glenn I wont bother quoting your whole post I'll just explain that right now my Suter hate is all purely hypothetical. If he ends up signing an extension with us I will be as happy as anyone and might even get a #20 jersey next year

Old
05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
glenn I wont bother quoting your whole post I'll just explain that right now my Suter hate is all purely hypothetical. If he ends up signing an extension with us I will be as happy as anyone and might even get a #20 jersey next year
And if he doesn't, then what? Just curious. I get that people will be upset if he leaves but in 9 years he made one comment that he probably wishes he could take back, other than that, he served our team and community well. I can't fault a guy for testing the market.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:38 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And if he doesn't, then what? Just curious. I get that people will be upset if he leaves but in 9 years he made one comment that he probably wishes he could take back, other than that, he served our team and community well. I can't fault a guy for testing the market.
Personally, I don't like nor do I pull for anyone on any other team, former Pred or not. (Special exception made for a guy like Vokoun who was shipped off)

If Suter wants to be a Red Wing - well, thanks for the memories, but he's the enemy at that point.

Suter will sign with whomever throws the largest contract at him on July 1st. Might be Detroit, might be us, might be the KHL for all I know. IMHO, this is a money grab. Can't fault the guy, but I can sure as heck boo him.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:52 PM
predfan98

Quote:
I've read a lot of the posts regarding Suter and have a few questions about why everyone is so ticked off with him.

1. He is still our property until July 1. If before then and now he signs a contract with us, that's great, if not, he's earned the right to see what is out there in the land of unrestricted free agency. While he made a comment at the All-Star game that was not endearing to many of us fans, has any one of us lived a mistake free life when it comes to comments we make? I know I haven't so if anyone has never said anything that was wrong or has led the perfect oral lifestyle, feel free to kick Suter all you want. Yes, he should've picked a better way to handle what he said but the media has a funny way of twisting things out of proportion and looking for a hot angle to their story. At the end of the day, he has fulfilled his contractual obligations to us and has the right to do whatever he chooses to do.

?
All last fall, there were articles in the paper about Suter...In December he talked about how he wanted to get a deal done then and didn't understand. He talked over and over about how he needed a committment to winning.

It's not just the all star game comments....It's all the other comments together..... all last fall, and winter and spring..

No one is saying you have to be perfect.....

He didn't have to make 90% of the comments he did, and the fans wouldn't feel lied to.. but he did..

If he leaves, he leaves as a liar , in a lot of our eyes....that's kind of the point.

If he hadn't said 90% of it...... it would be sad, but there wouldn't be the "you're a lying piece of ..." feeling

Old
05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
All last fall, there were articles in the paper about Suter...In December he talked about how he wanted to get a deal done then and didn't understand. He talked over and over about how he needed a committment to winning.

It's not just the all star game comments....It's all the other comments together..... all last fall, and winter and spring..

No one is saying you have to be perfect.....

He didn't have to make 90% of the comments he did, and the fans wouldn't feel lied to.. but he did..

If he leaves, he leaves as a liar , in a lot of our eyes....that's kind of the point.

If he hadn't said 90% of it...... it would be sad, but there wouldn't be the "you're a lying piece of ..." feeling

So you are saying Poile bringing in Gill Gaus and AK are really moves to show a commitment to winning? I hope that isn't what you are saying cus that is not showing anything other than an overpayment for guys not wanted by their teams for various reasons and all UFA at the end of the year.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
So you are saying Poile bringing in Gill Gaus and AK are really moves to show a commitment to winning? I hope that isn't what you are saying cus that is not showing anything other than an overpayment for guys not wanted by their teams for various reasons and all UFA at the end of the year.
That's how I see it as well

Old
05-31-2012, 04:02 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
That's how I see it as well
Exactly I don't understand how some can think that was going to push you over the top and show the guys that asked for a commitment that you are serious as a GM/Organization.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:15 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Exactly I don't understand how some can think that was going to push you over the top and show the guys that asked for a commitment that you are serious as a GM/Organization.
name one player traded at the deadline who would have been better than our acquisitions... with no overpayment.

whether you can see it or not... ak and gill both were pretty solid for us. ak was great until the incident.. but we still don't know happened with that 100%

poile did everything he could in my mind to prove to suter we were in it to win it.. don't forget his offer for nash. he did what he could.. ak, gill, gaustad are not overpaid losers like you may think. deadline deals are generally always "overpayment".. doesn't mean they aren't a solid piece to winning.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 05-31-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I can fault him plenty, because that "one comment" cuts right to the heart of what many perceive to be the permanent problem with the preds, ie that we cant keep good players and we will never be a true contender due to money.

Now, if he leaves, people who dont know better will assume the preds cant keep players because they either wont spend money or arent seen as a good destination.

if he had just S T F Up and then on July 1 said "thanks but i have decided the best move for me is to sign with __________ " then he could have left with no hard feelings.... but when you imply that if certain conditions are met, you will stay, and then the team blows a considerable amount of assets to meet those demands, and then you still leave, then eff you in the ear...

Old
05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I can fault him plenty, because that "one comment" cuts right to the heart of what many perceive to be the permanent problem with the preds, ie that we cant keep good players and we will never be a true contender due to money.
I don't fault him for being honest. Did Poile really blow all those assets just to keep Suter? If so, it's desperation on Poile's part. He's pretty notorious for blowing assets at the trade deadline for short term rentals. We need long term fixes to improve our team, not shot in the dark rentals.

Part of the problem is money. The other part is Poile is one complacent dude. He's done very little to address our scoring woes the past 5 seasons. He rarely makes any movement in the offseason and he's hesitant to trade any person with an actual name (loyalty to a fault). He usually only deals in 1st and 2nd rd pics. We ride players out when we know they are going to hit UFA-- Hamhuis, (Suter), meanwhile missing a huge opportunity to address scoring-line issues. He waits until the trade deadline when prices are sky high and it's bandaid fix (at best) and players have little time to gel before the playoffs.

Poile's good but not great. And that's reflected in our good but not great last 5 years.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
name one player traded at the deadline who would have been better than our acquisitions... with no overpayment.

whether you can see it or not... ak and gill both were pretty solid for us. ak was great until the incident.. but we still don't know happened with that 100%

poile did everything he could in my mind to prove to suter we were in it to win it.. don't forget his offer for nash. he did what he could.. ak, gill, gaustad are not overpaid losers like you may think. deadline deals are generally always "overpayment".. doesn't mean they aren't a solid piece to winning.
So you really see AK a guy with 12 goals and 12 assists in 53 games as a solid piece? That in and of itself is sad.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 05-31-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Suter going to Detroit would be STUPID. Not saying he won't do it, but he has to realize that at this point he would be viewed as Lidstrom's replacement... even as good as Suter is, there is no replacing Lidstrom and he will NEVER live up to expectations in Detroit. The only player that could replace Lidstrom would be a healthy Bobby Orr, anyone else is setting themselves up for failure (or at least perceived failure in the minds of Wings fans)
Wings fan here, and I think most of us (at least those who post on HFBoards) realize there's no replacing Lidstrom.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
So you really see AK a guy with 12 goals and 12 assists in 53 games as a solid piece? That in and of itself is sad.
4 goals and 8 assists for 12 points in 19 games in the regular season, and 3 goals and 1 assist for 4 points in 8 games in the playoffs. How exactly is that "sad"? Actually, how would you argue that is anything other than a solid piece? No one claimed he was an elite piece, or even a great piece. A solid piece. To me a .50 PPG rate in the playoffs and a .63 PPG pace during the most important part of the regular season is the definition of "solid".

Often times we have our biases. We're all guilty of that. Sometimes we allow those biases to overrule our objectivity. We're all guilty of that, too.

This is about as far off-topic as this thread needs to go.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
"I want to do what's best for my family... so we're moving to Detroit." Makes complete sense.
All the Wings live outside of Detroit in lovely high end cities buddy.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:21 PM
NoNecksCurse

im curious as to when we will hear more suter news... can't wait for the "hopefully it all works out, but im gonna hit the market." ... oh well, just let us know.. so we can a pick for your rights. blah

Old
06-01-2012, 07:39 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
4 goals and 8 assists for 12 points in 19 games in the regular season, and 3 goals and 1 assist for 4 points in 8 games in the playoffs. How exactly is that "sad"? Actually, how would you argue that is anything other than a solid piece? No one claimed he was an elite piece, or even a great piece. A solid piece. To me a .50 PPG rate in the playoffs and a .63 PPG pace during the most important part of the regular season is the definition of "solid".

Often times we have our biases. We're all guilty of that. Sometimes we allow those biases to overrule our objectivity. We're all guilty of that, too.

This is about as far off-topic as this thread needs to go.
Plus, now that we can see in hind sight, it doesn't look like anyone better was available. Outside of the Hodgson/Kassian deal, it was one boring day.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post

Jeff Carter?

To me a committment to winnnig isn't going out and getting a 4th line center and 3rd pairing defenseman.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Jeff Carter?

To me a committment to winnnig isn't going out and getting a 4th line center and 3rd pairing defenseman.
Jeff Carter would have eaten alive here.

Poile also convinced Radulov to finally come back too.

Closed Thread