HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part II) - Brooks: Rangers after Radulov

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
We have a good shot at him. imo.

He wants out of Pittsburgh and wants to play with one of his brothers.

That's why I don't sign Parise. Save that money for next Summer and go after Jordan.
I don't see it, Jordan wants to play second line center. If you make that move, that means Stepan is going someplace else.

Also, acquiring Jordan Staal shouldn't stop you from signing Parise. Staal would be getting Callahan money at most.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Im a big fan of Stepan but if signing Jordan Staal meant we'd have to trade Stepan for a winger i'd be all over that.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Im a big fan of Stepan but if signing Jordan Staal meant we'd have to trade Stepan for a winger i'd be all over that.
Wouldn't be adverse to it completely. But, Stepan, in the long term, is being groomed to be our first line center man.

I don't think Jordan Staal has the same upside. Currently though, Jordan is a better all around player than Stepan.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Wouldn't be adverse to it completely. But, Stepan, in the long term, is being groomed to be our first line center man.

I don't think Jordan Staal has the same upside. Currently though, Jordan is a better all around player than Stepan.
There's no way Stepan is a first line center. Absolutely a tradeable asset. He's got some good skill, but if you aren't willing to trade him you aren't willing to trade anybody decent.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
There's no way Stepan is a first line center. Absolutely a tradeable asset. He's got some good skill, but if you aren't willing to trade him you aren't willing to trade anybody decent.
Not currently, but in the long term? Hell he already played first line center this season.

Stepan has to work on the athletic part of the game. But if he can improve his skating with a bit more strength, he can be a first line center.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Stepan reminds me a lot of a young Brad Richards.

A good playmaker with some goal scoring ability. I don't see him ever reaching the level that Richards reached in his prime but he is going to be a good player.

05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Lundsanity30

for the people who want Semin, despite his reputation of being a very lazy player (though he did play good 2 way hockey in the playoffs), he's also only 28 years old and already he has been declining each year. He went from 84 pts, to 56 pts, to 54 pts. Semin would be a huge risk

Old
05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Lundsanity30

So.. we don't do anything this year and HOPE that Staal, Malkin or Getzlaf actually hits FA next year? dont like that idea.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
REGULAR SEASON PRODUCTION means nothing. We had more goals than the Canucks, are we a better team offensively than them? We have far too many soft, small players who can't cut it in playoff hockey. I'll give the ELC guys like Stepan, Hags, Del Zotto a pass for now but what about Maryanne and Richards?
Did the NHL suddenly stop seeding the playoffs by regular season performance? I didn't think so. You play well in the regular season and it helps your team win. You win enough games and you make the playoffs. If you don't play well in the regular season, chances are you miss the playoffs. Pretty simple.

You see, when you're making ridiculous claims, it's easy to point out the holes in your stance. You just said the regular season doesn't matter, so by using your own logic, yes, we are a better offensive team than the Canucks. However, that is clearly not the case in reality, but it's pretty apparent that reality only suits you when it fits your agenda.

We had four players on the entire roster that are under 6' tall and appeared in the post-season. We led the playoffs in hits. Nobody outside of this delusional fan base would ever confuse this team as "soft."

Oh please. You've been harping about "Del Zaster" for weeks now. To say you're giving him a pass is about as genuine as me saying I take any of your sensationalism seriously.

Richards is a Conn Smythe winner. A Cup winner. He's nearly a point per game player in the post-season. He led our team in scoring in the playoffs. On what planet is he really a problem?

Gaborik had a mediocre showing, but he also had about half a dozen opportunities to add more points to the team. He also scored a huge goal for us in the Caps series. In his first playoff run with us, he was our only offensive weapon. Now he's one of two offensive weapons. As the rest of our roster grows, so will his space on the ice.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Not currently, but in the long term? Hell he already played first line center this season.

Stepan has to work on the athletic part of the game. But if he can improve his skating with a bit more strength, he can be a first line center.
I just don't agree on the level he can reach, but I think he is good for sure, that's why I would imagine the return for him would be good enough to warrant the trade.

His speed & size concern me, not the type of shot to really score 30+ goals consistently. But he's smart, good playmaker, and can work in the corners and throw some hits. I do like his attitude.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Lundsanity30

Stepan had 50 pts this season at only 23 years old with pretty much just Callahan this year. Kreider didn't come til the playoffs. I think thats pretty good no way would I give him up in a deal unless I was getting a very good scorer back.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
pwoz

Don't we already have a 1st line center for the next 9 years?

Old
05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Lundsanity30

For the people who are clamoring to trade Gaborik because he's "soft" or because of his playoff performance, did you ever think maybe Ottawa, Washington and New Jersey all made it a PRIORITY to shut Gaborik down because he was our ONLY offensive scoring threat? How about you put someone who can score 30-40 goals WITH Gaborik and see what happens? just an idea...

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Stepan had 50 pts this season at only 23 years old with pretty much just Callahan this year. Kreider didn't come til the playoffs. I think thats pretty good no way would I give him up in a deal unless I was getting a very good scorer back.
Well to be fair, he spent most of the season with Gaborik and Anismov. Course I only think he had chemistry with Gabs.

He had zero chemistry with Cally. Cally is brutal playing with Stepan.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Whats wrong with a very good 2nd line C as well?

Old
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
More like three years, then Richards will probably move down to second line duties. I really doubt he will remain for his full contract. Course if he wins a cup here, that goodwill could easily last that contract. Irregardless how he plays the rest of the way.

I mean look how much goodwill got extended to Messier.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 05-31-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
For the people who are clamoring to trade Gaborik because he's "soft" or because of his playoff performance, did you ever think maybe Ottawa, Washington and New Jersey all made it a PRIORITY to shut Gaborik down because he was our ONLY offensive scoring threat? How about you put someone who can score 30-40 goals WITH Gaborik and see what happens? just an idea...
Its a legit approach, if you bring a big power forward that can chip in 30 and can create space. Gabs would certainly benefit.

The question is will that be enough space for him in the playoffs. I saw Gabs actively avoid contact during the playoffs.

Remember, Richards(even though he tries and is willing)is not a great board player. So you would need that left wing who is dominant physically.

It makes more sense, in the style we play, that Richards should have two big power forwards to play with. Thus, those wings are creating space for Richards. I think that suits our team better.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
It's not about just stats with Gaborik, it's about effort as well! He doesn't have enough heart and grit. He's afraid of contact, never gets his hands dirty and doesn't put forth the effort needed to be successful in the playoffs.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
It's not about just stats with Gaborik, it's about effort as well! He doesn't have enough heart and grit. He's afraid of contact, never gets his hands dirty and doesn't put forth the effort needed to be successful in the playoffs.
I don't think its that. When he is willing to go into the corners, he sucks. He doesn't have natural ability on the boards nor can his body take a pounding.

I don't think its a character thing or lack of effort. When Gabs isn't playing well, its not because he is lacking physicality. Its because he is not moving his feet. I don't want him to be physical.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Cmox

I dunno what team some of you guys are watching. Gabby had a great season and has clearly changed his game to fit the mold of this team. If you think about last season vs this season. He definitely threw his body around more, sometimes even landing a pretty big hit.
From what I've witnessed I wouldn't question his heart one bit. He's not as gritty player but he's doing what he can do while scoring. The team just needs scoring support. I think Gab's 2 way game will improve and trading him now would be taking a step back. /2 cents

Old
05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
I dunno what team some of you guys are watching. Gabby had a great season and has clearly changed his game to fit the mold of this team. If you think about last season vs this season. He definitely threw his body around more, sometimes even landing a pretty big hit.
From what I've witnessed I wouldn't question his heart one bit. He's not as gritty player but he's doing what he can do while scoring. The team just needs scoring support. I think Gab's 2 way game will improve and trading him now would be taking a step back. /2 cents
He didn't really do that. He was more willing to dig for pucks in the corners(wasn't that great at it though).

The major difference was he was driving to the net more. Something he pretty much stopped doing during the playoffs.

With that said, I neither question his heart or character.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

How old is Stepan? 23? He's 21. Turns 22 in a few weeks.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:38 PM
UAGoalieGuy

See regular season production DOES matter. If Gaborik doesn't net some of his goals, the Rangers lose some games and may be some momentum moving from game to game. The instead og being a #1 or 2 seed you're a 5/6/7 seed and no home ice advantage. May be the Rangers don't win game 7 if they were not the home team against Ottawa or Washington.

Gaborik did have 7 GWG's in the regular season. Who knows how many game tying goals he had to send the game to OT.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
I'd swap Stepan for Staal without hesitation.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
GarretJoseph*

Islander fans wish they had our problems over here at the Ranger board.

Gaborik and his 40 goals suck. Trade for Nash. Throw a boat load of cash at Parise.

Really nice problems to have as suppose... "How's the Quebec arena coming along?"
"Does it get cold in Kansas?"
"I'm scared of Brooklyn"

Closed Thread