HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 09:40 AM
TUCKER 06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I love the guys that just HAVE TO carry the puck up ice, regardless of how far ahead and how open the other forwards are. Bonus points if you have to stop at the blue to stay onside and then they try and skate through you.
jeez, you must have been playing with the same guys I was last night.

This one jackass NEVER passes the puck and he's such a dusty son of a gun. Me and my buddy ended up rushing with him, 3 on 1, and the guy carries the puck behind the net and then just dishes it off without looking right to one of the other teams players. I wanted to scream! ...Actually, I think I did.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I hate it when players don't understand the concept of F1, F2, F3 responsibility or how to read/react to the play and switch. Always chaps me when my center, who's always behind the play, complains about me covering his position when he should have recognized the switch and covered the wing.

I was recently reading through a prominent program's coaches book and it said something I wanted to copy and tape to this guy's forehead. It said, whether you are the Center, Right Wing or Left Wing means nothing other than how you line up for the faceoff. After that, it is only read/react based on the order in which you enter either zone.
I tell people this all the time!
I would go so far as to say that C, LW, or RW is significant in the defensive zone as well as faceoff positions, but once the break-out begins the 3 forward positions then turn in to F1, F2, F3.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:55 AM
pelts35.com

As a goalie, I hate the dman who has all of the time in the world to skate the puck out of the zone but instead decides to telegraph a diagonal pass from beneath the faceoff circle that typically gets intercepted resulting in a mini-breakaway.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Joey Banana

I hate it when my forwards canŽt receive the easiest outlet pass and blame me. If that happens too often, iŽll do my Bobby Orr impression to just piss them off. Gladly that is not often the case, though.

Old
05-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I hate it when people flipping pass it back to me on D when a forward is 2 feet away from me. How dumb are you to do that.

Secondly, when nobody passes to you after you flubbed your first pass in a pick up.
Yep, I've been through that, since I started fairly late in life and played up quite a bit before I got more experience. The opposite is true though; it feels pretty good when you realize people are seeking you out for passes because they have confidence in you.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
OpenIceHit42

Goalies who think they can play the puck and usually either 1) Fall or 2) turn the puck over to the forecheckers.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

This is more of a rink frustration than a game situation frustration.
I hate bench and penalty box doors that are frozen/stuck shut and won't open and nobody cares to fix.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
This is more of a rink frustration than a game situation frustration.
I hate bench and penalty box doors that are frozen/stuck shut and won't open and nobody cares to fix.
You play at MSG???

Old
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I hate it when people keep using the doors and just leave them open. Just jump the boards.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
You play at MSG???
well played

Old
05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
goalie29

I play in a spring/ summer pick up game. It's a mixed ability co-ed bunch, not any sort of level, just a way to keep in shape and socialize in the "off"-season.

There's a new guy who has pretty good hands, but a shame about the head.

At one point this week the new guy had a 1 on 4, because his team just stopped playing when he got the puck. He's not going to pass, so why bother? Oblivious, he wound his way all over the ice while everyone watched him. Finally one of my D just stepped up and poke checked him, then the game went on...

I don't think he's going to last long, everyone's getting tired of his antics, especially the guys who are just as good or better than him, but aren't doofuses. He got taken out really good at the end of our ice time this week - and this bunch doesn't usually do that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I hate it when people keep using the doors and just leave them open. Just jump the boards.
I'm 5'2" and stopped growing, oh, about 30 years ago. That ain't happening... The person closest to the door closes it, easy peasy.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
qmechanic

I'm 5'2" and have no problem jumping the boards. I grab the rail with my gloves and boost my butt onto the rail. Then I hop down onto the ice. You need decent balance to drop a few inches onto the ice without falling.

And yes, I agree with Jarick. There are some people who just won't jump the boards and waste time on the changes because they insist on going through the door.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was going to describe the process but honestly I can't remember how I get over the boards. Push off the boards and swing the legs over I suppose. I've fallen...twice? In seven years? I'm 5'8 too and have jumped over tall NCAA and NHL ice boards.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
I was going to describe the process but honestly I can't remember how I get over the boards. Push off the boards and swing the legs over I suppose. I've fallen...twice? In seven years? I'm 5'8 too and have jumped over tall NCAA and NHL ice boards.
There's a rink in Toronto (Westwood) I played at two weeks ago and they had the tallest boards I've ever seen. I'm 6'1 off of skates and the boards literally came to below my nipples with skates on. I tried to hop it coming off and wasn't too successful.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:29 PM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
If I'm the guy closest to the door when a change is coming up, I'm flyin out that door full speed and I'll usually leave it open for the guy behind me to close. If he doesn't close it, I consider him to be the dumba$$. It's all about the quick changes!

If I'm down the bench a bit I'll hop the boards. One leg over the edge, kick off the bench with the other foot, swing yourself over, don't fall. easy peasy lol.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Im sure this has been vented already but in last nights game the team we played had the new A hole in the league. He has played 5 games and has 36 penalty minutes already. He was taking runs at guys last night and trying to start fights with everyone. The sad thing is that he is a decent player but he also a giant D bag.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
CunniJA

In my first game for this summer season, one of the dudes against us ended with 8, so he's on pace to top that!

Old
05-31-2012, 05:05 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Few of our issues this season

-We had 16 skaters when we were winning, we're lucky to get 9 now.
-One of our dmen can't skate backwards and pinches at the WORST times
-No backchecking, ever.
-Wingers standing around in the neutral zone and skating in straight lines up
-2 players that literally CANT MOVE.

Needless to say, we suck.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Few of our issues this season

-We had 16 skaters when we were winning, we're lucky to get 9 now.
-One of our dmen can't skate backwards and pinches at the WORST times
-No backchecking, ever.
-Wingers standing around in the neutral zone and skating in straight lines up
-2 players that literally CANT MOVE.

Needless to say, we suck.
Sounds like my 5th grade roller hockey team.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
jsykes

All the talk of using the boards, when I was a kid we were taught a simple procedure for line changes that keeps everyone out of the way of everyone else.

Off the bench over the boards and onto the bench through the doors.

It works if everyone does it. Its also a lot easier going over the boards from bench to ice than vice versa as most of the time its a bigger jump from the ice up. I hate when I'm trying to jump the boards onto the ice and running into the guy trying to jump coming off the ice.

I have really short legs for my height and going over from ice is possible, but not simple or elegant at all (I have to boost myself up like I'm getting out of a pool). I prefer to go in the doors, but always jump over to the ice if its an on the fly change.

Out over the boards, in through the doors, everyone is out of each others way.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:36 PM
windycity

my pet peeve is guys who always call center but only play it like it's an offensive position and don't feel the need to come back into the defensive zone or take their sweet @ss time about it

that and, not unrelated, cherry pickers

Old
05-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

You can still get over the boards if you're on the shorter side...
Step up on the bench with one skate and propel yourself over. Easy as that.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Frankie Spankie

Ugh, hate the skilled players who have no problem hacking and holding you but when you put a finger on them, all you hear is them *****ing about how it's a no-contact league.

I'm now suffering a stiff neck because I beat a skilled guy to the puck behind the net, then cut him off in a spinning motion while I wrapped the puck back to the point. It ended up being intercepted by an opposing player and sent out of the zone so I start skating down the ice. The guy I cut off elbows me in the face as he skates by and tries to play it off like it was an accident. I know I'm just an average player in this league, probably a little below average, I've played with plenty of people that suck and I've played with people who have played as high as the ECHL, and not once have I ever seen anybody elbowed in the face. This guy expects me to believe somebody as skilled as him did it by accident... I tried giving him a few shots cussing at him and he wanted absolutely no part of it. It's bad enough to elbow somebody in the face from behind, it's another to not even be able to man up to your own actions...

I think I may have a target on my head or now something. I got in a bit of a scrum a couple weeks ago with another guy too. I'm surprised we weren't kicked off the ice (just sent to the penalty box.) He was at least cool enough to do what almost every hockey player does in this situation though and meet up after the game to apologize and have some laughs. That's what hockey's all about!

Old
05-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Happy Fan
Not a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Ugh, hate the skilled players who have no problem hacking and holding you but when you put a finger on them, all you hear is them *****ing about how it's a no-contact league.

I'm now suffering a stiff neck because I beat a skilled guy to the puck behind the net, then cut him off in a spinning motion while I wrapped the puck back to the point. It ended up being intercepted by an opposing player and sent out of the zone so I start skating down the ice. The guy I cut off elbows me in the face as he skates by and tries to play it off like it was an accident. I know I'm just an average player in this league, probably a little below average, I've played with plenty of people that suck and I've played with people who have played as high as the ECHL, and not once have I ever seen anybody elbowed in the face. This guy expects me to believe somebody as skilled as him did it by accident... I tried giving him a few shots cussing at him and he wanted absolutely no part of it. It's bad enough to elbow somebody in the face from behind, it's another to not even be able to man up to your own actions...

I think I may have a target on my head or now something. I got in a bit of a scrum a couple weeks ago with another guy too. I'm surprised we weren't kicked off the ice (just sent to the penalty box.) He was at least cool enough to do what almost every hockey player does in this situation though and meet up after the game to apologize and have some laughs. That's what hockey's all about!
**** happens, either remember him for the next game or work on your own game.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Frankie Spankie

What does working on my own game have to do with anything? I don't think "**** happens" when a guy elbows you in the face...

Closed Thread