Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Moving to Winnipeg

Old
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
veeps

vCash: 500
OT - Moving to Winnipeg

Hey just thought I'd check and see if anybody on your board has some advice to offer me. I'm moving to Winnipeg next month, and am in the process of trying to find a place to live. Looking at the possibility of both renting and/or buying a condo. What areas would you recommend for a single guy in their mid-20's? I'm going to be working downtown and trying to be reasonably close to work. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

veeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
GaryinPrague

Osbourne village/corydon area, thats where the nightlfe is,close to downtown. You really dont want to live downtown, its a ghost town at night and sometimes dangerous

GaryinPrague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeps View Post
Hey just thought I'd check and see if anybody on your board has some advice to offer me. I'm moving to Winnipeg next month, and am in the process of trying to find a place to live. Looking at the possibility of both renting and/or buying a condo. What areas would you recommend for a single guy in their mid-20's? I'm going to be working downtown and trying to be reasonably close to work. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Welcome to our city my friend......where are you moving from and what brings you to our town.

Lots of choice you are coming to the right city as far as affordable options with access to downtown. Do you mind giving us a price range and we can build out scenarios for you?

I use to have a condo on Wellington crescent (in another life) and loved the access sitting in the pocket between Osborne Village and Corydon ave. I walked to all my night spots and the cab ride to the MTS centre is cheap.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:17 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

I just moved to Winnipeg (from Selkirk mind you) and I live just off of Inkster/Arlington area. I'd consider it the "good" North End as there have been zero issues here and it's a pretty safe area. Garden City/Maples area is decent as well. I actually grew up in the Maples and loved it.

St Vital is a good area but the pricing will be way more out that way. I'd personally suggest Garden City, or if you can find a decently priced place off of Corydon/Osborne (like the last poster suggested) that should also work out.

If you'll be traveling often downtown, try to find a place off of Main St but make sure you're NORTH of Jefferson. Anything South, may not be the best area.

Good luck!

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:18 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryinPrague View Post
Osbourne village/corydon area, thats where the nightlfe is,close to downtown. You really dont want to live downtown, its a ghost town at night and sometimes dangerous
Yeah winnipwg downtown is no more dangerous than any other cities downtown. My girlfriend has lived downtown for years and loves that she can walk to work.

South broadway is the most densely populated area of the city if your looking to rent.

Besides the aforementioned Osborne village I'd suggest you look to the exchange district. Lots of cool loft condo conversions. Really up and coming.

Districtcondos.ca for one example of a conversion that's just finishing up the first phase with tenants moving in

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
veeps

Thank you for the feedback thus far!

I'm coming from Saskatoon (where real estate prices are excessive) for work as I'm getting transferred for work. I really know very little about the various neighbourhoods in Winnipeg so I appreciate the info, especially about not wanting to be downtown.

I'm trying to stay reasonably close to work as I'm used to a smaller city and a commute would drive me nuts I think. I think price range is fairly flexible, hopefully in the $250,000-$275,000 range or lower if possible.

veeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:27 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeps View Post
Thank you for the feedback thus far!

I'm coming from Saskatoon (where real estate prices are excessive) for work as I'm getting transferred for work. I really know very little about the various neighbourhoods in Winnipeg so I appreciate the info, especially about not wanting to be downtown.

I'm trying to stay reasonably close to work as I'm used to a smaller city and a commute would drive me nuts I think. I think price range is fairly flexible, hopefully in the $250,000-$275,000 range or lower if possible.
Osborne Village is nice.....it would be akin to Broadway in Saskatoon (as far as access to downtown) so you would be right there. It is not quite as clean and pretty as Broadway but it is busier and there is more to do.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:37 PM
jetsguy

Search for the waterfront condos. Near the river, the ball park, the forks.

jetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 900
With that budget you definitely wouldn't be limited to a bad area of town by any stretch of the imagination. Just to put it in perspective, you could even find a small house in a nice area like St. Vital for that budget (i.e. not a rich area but a standard middle to upper middle class neighbourhood). For something closer to downtown though (St. Vital isn't that close), the aforementioned suggestions of Corydon and Osborne Village are great. Osborne Village is just across the river from downtown but without the sketchiness that some areas of downtown have and with far better shopping/restaurants/bars/etc. The Exchange District seems to have more clubs than Osborne Village, which has more pubs, and is right downtown but is somewhat smaller and certainly closer to the bad areas but also closer to the Forks. Either one has a wide range of apartments and condos though.

Winnipeg's downtown really doesn't have much to do and many stores aren't open evenings. Again, I'd highly recommend Osborne Village. I can't think of a better area of the town for someone young and single.

There's a Wikipedia page on Osborne Village although it's somewhat lacking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Village
To get a better idea of what's in that area (list of stores, lots of photos) look at the website:
http://www.osbornevillage.com/
One of the nicest condo buildings in the area (from what I've heard) and 5th tallest building in Winnipeg (tallest residential):
http://www.55nassau.ca/
The coolest apartment building in Winnipeg, IMO, due to the crazy floorplan (available in the link) that looks like it was drug-induced, the solid soundproof construction and the overall rustic(?) appearance:
http://www.globegeneral.ca/globe_property.cfm?p_id=53

Ask us some more specific questions or give some more requirements and you'll get more tailored answers. I hope this is a start though.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Whoever tells you Downtown is dangerous doesn't know downtown. I have lived right across from the forks for over a year and it's been awesome! Don't be afraid to live downtown at all, it`s growing and becoming more populated by the month. There are great places to go, lots of clubs within walking distance, restaraunts galore and fantastic river paths and other amenities.

If you are zeroing in on a place and need some advice, feel free to PM me and I will be more than willing to tell you what I know about it.

Welcome to Winnipeg. Hope you love it as much as many of us do.

05-31-2012, 08:58 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I don't know if the East Exchange / Waterfront would be in your price range, but that is where the nicest condos in the city are IMO. It's also close to (part of?) downtown.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 850
http://www.downtownwinnipegbiz.com/h...ondo_listings/

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
lanky

Osborne village was just named the greatest neighborhood in Canada. It's a subjective title, but it says a lot about the neighborhood. The bridge between downtown and the village is a huge mess during rush hour though. Biking or even walking could be faster.

The east exchange is quiet but really nice.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Tdoe42

Transcona!! 20 min bus ride too downtown with a small town feel!

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:58 PM
GaryinPrague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Whoever tells you Downtown is dangerous doesn't know downtown. I have lived right across from the forks for over a year and it's been awesome! Don't be afraid to live downtown at all, it`s growing and becoming more populated by the month. There are great places to go, lots of clubs within walking distance, restaraunts galore and fantastic river paths and other amenities.

If you are zeroing in on a place and need some advice, feel free to PM me and I will be more than willing to tell you what I know about it.

Welcome to Winnipeg. Hope you love it as much as many of us do.
When the op comes to winnipeg, let him walk downtown by himself at say 10-11 pm and he can be the judge. Winnipeg easily has the worst downtown of any canadian hockey city. Why di yiu think there are so many parking lots, because business doesn't want to be there. What makes it bad is, not many stores, and they all close like at 6, not much walking traffic, so streets are bare, a d alot of undesirables,who would knife you for 5 bucks. By the way i used to live on donald years ago..if you dont work, or go to a jets game, i bet over 90% of the people never go downtown,excluding the forks, which is kind of a seperate area.or maybe the exchange friday/saturday night

Last edited by GaryinPrague: 05-31-2012 at 10:06 PM.
GaryinPrague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:30 PM
sully1410

Being a Stonewall boy, I spent the majority of my time in St. James. Love it there.

My parents really liked the Wolsley area, that's where they bought their first house. My sister and cousin both live in that area.

Neither is overalls far from downtown.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:33 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryinPrague View Post
When the op comes to winnipeg, let him walk downtown by himself at say 10-11 pm and he can be the judge. Winnipeg easily has the worst downtown of any canadian hockey city. Why di yiu think there are so many parking lots, because business doesn't want to be there. What makes it bad is, not many stores, and they all close like at 6, not much walking traffic, so streets are bare, a d alot of undesirables,who would knife you for 5 bucks. By the way i used to live on donald years ago..if you dont work, or go to a jets game, i bet over 90% of the people never go downtown,excluding the forks, which is kind of a seperate area.or maybe the exchange friday/saturday night
Wow. Nothing but the extremes in these responses. This makes the downtown sound deserted and dangerous, the others make it sound vibrant. The reality is there are good areas (Exchange, Waterfront, around the Forks, Wolseley) and bad areas (North End including China Town, West End).

The downtown isn't at all homogeneous and can't be painted with such broad strokes. It is dangerous in some areas and it's perfectly nice in others.

Having said that, I still think Osborne Village has far more to offer. It's likely more densely populated than much of downtown (although there are pockets of residential buildings downtown that'd be similar density), has more foot traffic during evenings/weekends and it has more amenities (bars, restaurants, shopping) available weeknights.

veeps has given us no indication of what type of neighbourhood he'd like to live in or what he'd consider a reasonable distance from downtown. There's no point bickering about downtown.

Last edited by vBurmi: 05-31-2012 at 10:41 PM.
vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
I grew up in st James as well and still live there and it's decent but I whole heartedly recommend osborne area. The ability to walk/cab to whatever bar you want instead of hitting the road ****tered is huge for a fellow mid 20's guy if your like me. The people in Osborne are just so much more interesting than everywhere else in the city

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Gabriel Landeskog

Don't listen to the guy about transcona.

Gabriel Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Mark Keane View Post
Don't listen to the guy about transcona.
Don't be a ******. Transcona is a vibrant community that is becoming a magnet for young families. There is even a mini condo boom targeting young single professionals. The older areas with streets lined with large graceful elm trees are gorgeous. I grew up in Transcona and if I ever moved back to Winnipeg, would definately consider moving there again.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:20 AM
allin4466

I'm mid-20s and living is Osbourne has worked very well for me. I work on Broadway so I can walk to work each day, or take a 2 mins bus ride if its cold.

Can walk for groceries, drinks, supper(very good restaurants) etc.

PM me if you want any more info.

allin4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:24 AM
edge7287
Cop Shoot Cop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
The people in Osborne are just so much more interesting than everywhere else in the city

I hope to move out to Osborne after I graduate. It's a whole different Winnipeg, imo. (Then again, I live in the North End...) Helps that there's a little of everything over there.

edge7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:20 AM
JetsHomer

I live in Fort Garry cause it's close to school, but I'd agree with people that are saying to check out Osbourne.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Wellington Cr has some ballin condos/lofts

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Wellington Cr has some ballin condos/lofts
Nothing against downtown, or Osborne Village, but if I had a friend or relative moving to Winnipeg, and they had that amount of money to invest in a condo and wanted to be "close" to downtown, that is where I would point them.

After you've been here, you can always decide for yourself if you wanted to move closer to downtown.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=-386270123

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...dKey=883124877

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ey=-1281815546

You could probably also look for a small house in that price range as well. But I'm guessing you are looking more at condo's because you don't necessarily know how long you might be here?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote