HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Why trade hammer?

Old
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

vCash: 500
I will agree we do need a better more physical d-man, which is what brings us back to the point that Hammer will be traded to upgrade and get that good #4 we're missing.

Keith-Seabrook
X-Leddy
Oduya-Montador

X being whatever is available via trade market. Possibly Matt Carle, or if anyone from Jets, Canadiens, Panthers?

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:09 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
I will agree we do need a better more physical d-man, which is what brings us back to the point that Hammer will be traded to upgrade and get that good #4 we're missing.

Keith-Seabrook
X-Leddy
Oduya-Montador

X being whatever is available via trade market. Possibly Matt Carle, or if anyone from Jets, Canadiens, Panthers?
If you trade Hammer there is still a need for a defensive minded d man on this team who can PK, even if you bring in another defensive minded d man.

Matt Carle is the opposite of a defensive minded d man, he's awful there.

Also, Leddy on the second pairing is a recipe for disaster.

You have Oduya on the 3rd pairing which is exactly why that signing is a fail. 3rd pairing is where he belongs but you don't pay 3rd pairing guys 3.4 million.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:14 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
If you trade Hammer there is still a need for a defensive minded d man on this team who can PK, even if you bring in another defensive minded d man.

Matt Carle is the opposite of a defensive minded d man, he's awful there.

You have Oduya on the 3rd pairing which is exactly why that signing is a fail. 3rd pairing is where he belongs but you don't pay 3rd pairing guys 3.4 million.
The whole point of getting Oduya was to spread out the minutes with the pairings, not to make them staggered once again and have 2-7 shoulder the overwhelming majority of the minutes.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
The whole point of getting Oduya was to spread out the minutes with the pairings, not to make them staggered once again and have 2-7 shoulder the overwhelming majority of the minutes.
There are better minute eaters on the market this July who will cost less (and a few that will cost only slightly more) than Oduya and can also PK.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

The problem is, your proposed defensive make-up is relying on Q allowing for Hammer to be what you think he can be.. which, beside the fact that would likey never happen.. would risk having Hammer be the best puck-mover on a pairing. It could be very good or awful.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Hawksfly2gether

its hilarious how so many people in this thread write off Oduya for his bad playoff. If you write him off for his playoff play then you have to praise frolik for his playoff performance, hopefully that comparison helps shed light on the fact that you can't judge a player on such a small sample size (6 games, against a team we struggled with all year).
I think/hope that him being a part of this team from the beginning of the season allows him to feel more comfortable on our team and with his role, instead of having to adapt on the fly and learn his new teammates tendencies. Not to say that I think this was a great deal for us, I personally would have liked to see us go after schultz.. seems like he MAY LIKELY be the next Doughty/Keith. How could you not want that?

Its no coincidence we went 12-2-3 with him in our lineup, especially missing toews and keith for a bit of that period. Which poses the question.. where would we have finished if we had oduya/another pmd in the line up over SOD/Scott/Montador? if you do the math we won 70% of the reg season games with him in the line up. that translates to 57 wins or so.. not too shabby

Hawksfly2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:48 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

If we didn't have Leddy, I'd go after Schultz.. but having both in the NHL (Which is where Schultz is going to be next year) would be rough to watch. At times amazing, but there's already quite a bit of growing pains with Leddy, it'd be worse if you add another rookie, though dynamic he may be.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post

Having Leddy on the second pairing really isn't that bad, he got near 40pts last year. If they can find a solid partner for him he is OK on the 2nd pair. He is only going to get better defensively.

And yes, you can pay a 3rd pairing guy 3.4mil, that means the rest of your dmen are very solid..which would be the case if we find that perfect fit for Leddy.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Hawksfly2gether

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
If we didn't have Leddy, I'd go after Schultz.. but having both in the NHL (Which is where Schultz is going to be next year) would be rough to watch. At times amazing, but there's already quite a bit of growing pains with Leddy, it'd be worse if you add another rookie, though dynamic he may be.
I agree having both could at times be difficult, but from what I've read it seems like schultz is a bit better defensively than leddy, so I was pondering maybe bump nick down the 3rd pairing and sign a solid stay at home/crease clearer (assuming monty isn't ready) and for once roll all 3 d pairs and not play keith/seabs 30 mins every night. maybe rock keith and hammer, Seabs and Schultz ,and maybe something like Leddy and Allen (not sure why he gets so much flak I doubt anyone on here watches Allen play regularly).. this provides you with 4 dman who can pk and 4 who can run the pp.

Hawksfly2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I only saw one Wisconsin game this year and Schultz might as well of been a forward. From what I know about him (granted, it's not much) he seems like a high-risk, high-reward type of player. A dynamic offensive player who might try to do too much in the NHL, especially as a rookie.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:36 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
hoss and seabs, what do you think of hal gill? a cheap one year deal to play on the 3rd pairing
he can't do anything with the puck, is slow and I take 09/10 Sopel over 12/13 Gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post

Keith-Seabrook
X-Leddy
Oduya-Montador

The Problem with this... who will be available? Who would upgrade our D now and longterm and most importantly... say we trade Hjammer for Emelin + (he would fit our team, but only as 3rd Pairing D) do we want/see Oduya as a Top4 D?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

I put Oduya there over leddy because Leddy is great offensively, and will hopefully be complimented with a d-man through trade that is defensive and can be physical/pk.

Could easily switch Oduya and Leddy. Doesnt matter to me as long as Keith and Seabs can get a good restful (lol) 25 minutes a night.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
he can't do anything with the puck, is slow and I take 09/10 Sopel over 12/13 Gill

The Problem with this... who will be available? Who would upgrade our D now and longterm and most importantly... say we trade Hjammer for Emelin + (he would fit our team, but only as 3rd Pairing D) do we want/see Oduya as a Top4 D?
I think we could find a better option other than Emelin. There's probably d-men out there who are on the block we're not ever aware of. No names really come to mind, but I feel Bowman would go about a d-man for d-man trade.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Keep Hammer. Will likely catch hell for this, but 1-6 there aren't many defenses as good and deep as ours. Sign a physical #7, give Olsen the first call-up.

It's all about coaching.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:11 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Keep Hammer. Will likely catch hell for this, but 1-6 there aren't many defenses as good and deep as ours. Sign a physical #7, give Olsen the first call-up.

It's all about coaching.
I wouldnt mind that route either. Im not necessarily for trading Hammer, but im not against it. Hope coaching can make some serious changes for next season.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
H a w k s

Quote:

Except you are not asking him to be anything more than Sopel. You're pretty much asking him to block shots, kill penalties and play 10-15 minutes of effective non stupid hockey on the third pair for less than what sopel made.

Gill can do that besides he might not be a bad mentor for Olsen.

H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post

It's all about coaching.
100% right. I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H a w k s View Post
Except you are not asking him to be anything more than Sopel. You're pretty much asking him to block shots, kill penalties and play 10-15 minutes of effective non stupid hockey on the third pair for less than what sopel made.

Gill can do that besides he might not be a bad mentor for Olsen.
We need our #4/5 DMan to take minutes away from Keith & Seabrook. We also need to reduce the minutes Leddy is on the ice. Gill will not reduce the ice time for them, Oduya will.

Gill does NOTHING and is worse than Sopel was. Signing Gill over a player like Oduya would be STUPID and something to complain about.

We don't need a mentor for Olsen, we need a player that helps us win. Oduya will help us more than Gill.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Iridium128

The only thing I don't like about Hammer is his contract. But then again, I don't like Oduya and Montador's either.

Iridium128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium128 View Post
The only thing I don't like about Hammer is his contract. But then again, I don't like Oduya and Montador's either.
Blame Doug Wilson.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

No, blame Bowman for not being able to sign Hjammer earlier for about 1 million/year

Old
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
DontTazMeBro
LoveYouRyanNash

Leddy getting traded would be a BIG mistake, It would be a million times better to just let Hammer go, yes i know he's 24. Suter would be better tho.

DontTazMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why should we trade one of them? I still don't get the reason why we should do it. We won't get a better DMan this year

Old
06-03-2012, 06:35 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
why should we trade one of them? I still don't get the reason why we should do it. We won't get a better DMan this year
agreed. hawks should keep em both. at least for this season. and suter aint happening

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:10 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Did someone really suggest trading Hammer and replacing him with Matt Carle? Good lord man.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

the only UFA this year I take over Hjammer would be Wideman - who will get paid way more than Hjammer. A team desperate might sign him to 5+ million

Rather wait for next year or this TD (like we did it with Wiz). Next years UFA list looks great as of now.