HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins Fan Sues Team For Texting Him Too Frequently

Old
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
a week in Jail for wasting everyone's time.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:03 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
The team is out of control.

Quote:
Told you they were arrogant! Ask them about the texts they send...it's ridiculous!

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Mostly I just break up marriages for a living.
Completely off topic, but I've believed for a long time that they should do everything they can to simplify the legal aspects of divorce and instead make it the marriage that requires the complex legal wrangling. The long, complicated divorce just makes both parties and their children more miserable.

Instead, getting married should require about six months of reviewing contracts, lawyer's visits and hearings. It would break couples who weren't committed enough before it got to the children and divorce stage of the relationship, and fire-harden the surviving relationships, reducing the number of divorces. And marriage lawyers would be agents of good rather than agents of greedy and vindictive husbands or wives.

Curious what you think of the idea.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
This moron deserves an early morning visit from Gary Roberts.

Gary will pound some sense into him.

Seriously though...how embarassing.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Completely off topic, but I've believed for a long time that they should do everything they can to simplify the legal aspects of divorce and instead make it the marriage that requires the complex legal wrangling. The long, complicated divorce just makes both parties and their children more miserable.

Instead, getting married should require about six months of reviewing contracts, lawyer's visits and hearings. It would break couples who weren't committed enough before it got to the children and divorce stage of the relationship, and fire-harden the surviving relationships, reducing the number of divorces. And marriage lawyers would be agents of good rather than agents of greedy and vindictive husbands or wives.

Curious what you think of the idea.
I can count on one hand the truly nasty and idiotic cases I have handled. They are the rarity. In most cases the clients did not have enough to need more than the simple divorce itself. In most of the others a simple marital property agreement took the place of actually having to fight it out in court. Honestly, even though a marriage is ending, a couple can add to the trauma or can get out relatively cost and emotional damage free. The vast, vast majority choose the second option.

As for making marriages harder to obtain, good luck with that. It would be the most unpopular law ever passed. Divorce takes longer because all couples fight and you do not want someone to divorce on friday and then regret it monday morning. Especially when kids often are involved. Give the couple time to be sure that is the choice that they really mean. We have a 90 day waiting period between filing, serving the other side, and completing the divorce. All states have these periods, over various lengths. Least is 30 days, longest is two years.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:46 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Our society is out of control...

The Pens' text updates only send 1 post-game text per game and then special info texts about Crosby's return, major injury news, and ticket giveaways. There might have been extra ones pertaining to the playoffs as well.

For wasting the NHL's and everyone else's time, this guy should be given nothing short of a mountain of free candy.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Oh dear

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
TaxiKane Confessions

I wish I had his number.

I'd send him text messages from random cell phones.

TaxiKane Confessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

He probably signed up just to test the fine print of "three messages"

I'll bet he intended to sue all along, because getting one text every two days from your favorite team should never be a big deal.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:33 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

They say this is how the Unibomber started...

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
toob

i liked this line from this story:

"The extra texts caused him "actual harm" because he was "subjected to the aggravation that necessarily accompanies the invasion of privacy caused by unsolicited text message calls" and may have to pay texting fees."

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

*****slap him into oblivion and smash his phone.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Epic Neal Time

Wat.

Epic Neal Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

All this idiot had to do was text, STOP and they would've stopped.
Some people really are dumb.

05-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
You are assuming that the guy actually was incensed/offended/hurt/whatever. The suit was filed in California. We have federal courts here in Pittsburgh, it is on Grant street almost to the greyhound bus station on the right. Hell you can even file a class action suit in civil courts. That should be a clue. The guy, and the firm, was looking for a case to try and milk money from a corporation owned by one of the richest men in america. They likely will get away with it to. But to assume the guy actually cared about the actual couple of extra messages that supposedly have ruined his life other than as a means to get a hand in Ron Burkle's wallet is delusional.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I can count on one hand the truly nasty and idiotic cases I have handled. They are the rarity. In most cases the clients did not have enough to need more than the simple divorce itself. In most of the others a simple marital property agreement took the place of actually having to fight it out in court. Honestly, even though a marriage is ending, a couple can add to the trauma or can get out relatively cost and emotional damage free. The vast, vast majority choose the second option.

As for making marriages harder to obtain, good luck with that. It would be the most unpopular law ever passed. Divorce takes longer because all couples fight and you do not want someone to divorce on friday and then regret it monday morning. Especially when kids often are involved. Give the couple time to be sure that is the choice that they really mean. We have a 90 day waiting period between filing, serving the other side, and completing the divorce. All states have these periods, over various lengths. Least is 30 days, longest is two years.
I would like to agree with that but all the people I can think of who divorced. Most situations were very ugly. Women who now never have to work because they were "accustomed" to a certain lifestyle. The men (I work in a mining town) ending up paying big time. I know 3 women within 2 minutes of me who bought and are paying for homes (200,000 dollar homes), spend all day with there now single parent children, and some poor sucker is working every penny for them. Doesn't seem right. My cousin bought a house 2 years ago, got married, made payments for 1.5 years, got divorced, and she gets HALF!!!!!!! of EVERYTHING!!!!! Except she didnt' work. Explain how these things are damage free. I only know a small margin of cases that both parties just agreed and walked away. And everyone said the same thing, "Good thing you had a good women bud, she could have screwed you!"

Jedi Pengu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:54 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Marriage is half and half no matter the difference. People need to realize this before they say "I do". I'm lucky, my fiance makes more than me, so no spousal support there haha.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I actually hope he wins!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Jacob

Clearly not a Penguins fan, just some loser that probably lives off settlements.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:44 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Clearly not a Penguins fan, just some loser that probably lives off settlements.
This.

Any true fan would never be this ****ing stupid or selfish.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:19 AM
PensFreak

And it was filed in Cali? If it was filed around here, and I had control of the Pens, I'd settle with the guys for 50 bucks or something small and ban him from ever setting foot in the CEC again.

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

No trial, no jury. Straight to execution.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I've been saying the same thing myself

I guess "STOP" was too much for him, but filing a lawsuit wasn't

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

I mean...wow.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Someone in the comments section of the article made an interesting point. The agreement says there's a maximum of 3 texts a week for offers from affiliates and things like that. Basically advertisements:

Quote:
By subscribing, you consent to receiving, from time to time, further text messages from us which may include offers from us, our affiliates and partners. Available on participating carriers. Maximum of 3 messages a week.
Basically, a max of advertising mesages a week, in addition to team related texts. If there were 4 games a week, a trade and 3 special offers or whatever, they could send you 8 messages and not be breaking the agreement. Maybe he'll argue that the agreement was misleading or unclear.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote