All Purpose Prospect/St. John's Thread - Part 3

Old
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
Couple of players stop into my work frequently talked to one yesterday he said "of all the places he played none ment more to him then here".

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...-next-season/1

Nice article.
That's great to hear. The key to this being a success in St. John's is icing a competitive team. We want to be able to develop players for the future of the Jets, but at the same time, having a few solid veterans on the team goes a long way in the success of the organization.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Canadienjet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
That's great to hear. The key to this being a success in St. John's is icing a competitive team. We want to be able to develop players for the future of the Jets, but at the same time, having a few solid veterans on the team goes a long way in the success of the organization.
To me if you want to be successful year in and year out you need to have a combination of both.

All the confidence Zinger will address our needs in the offseason.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
read somewhere that the Jets would night sign Kendal McFaull and that he would be able to go back into the draft this year

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
read somewhere that the Jets would night sign Kendal McFaull and that he would be able to go back into the draft this year
Jets have until June 1st to get D Kendall McFaull, G Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel, and D Sebastien Owuya under contract or all 3 head back into the draft this year. If they do go back in the draft and go unselected there, they will be UFA's immediately following the draft.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Jets have until June 1st to get D Kendall McFaull, G Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel, and D Sebastien Owuya under contract or all 3 head back into the draft this year. If they do go back in the draft and go unselected there, they will be UFA's immediately following the draft.
Hope the Jets can get FPW under contract.McFaull and Owuya will likely not be signed.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:54 PM
trouty

Funny that Icecaps players are starting to exit,Yet Norfolk is still here and won't depart till Sunday,they been on George past 2 nights

trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:16 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Funny that Icecaps players are starting to exit,Yet Norfolk is still here and won't depart till Sunday,they been on George past 2 nights
that's not entirely true, 90% of the boys were out last night. I was talking to a few of them. One of the guys who has been living beside me is staying in his place for a while and spending what he called his holidays here. His roomate has packed up and moved his stuff somewhere else in the city where he is staying for a few weeks as well. Most of the guys are still here as of 3:00 this morning hahaha

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:33 PM
trebendan

Hockey's Future Organizational Rankings

Jets are ranked 25th in the latest rankings. Article here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ng-2012-21-30/

They say the Jets only top-end offensive prospect is Scheifele, with Telegin a possibility. Also, other than Postma and Redmond, need more offensive defencemen (although could O'Neill be a possibility?).

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Jets are ranked 25th in the latest rankings. Article here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ng-2012-21-30/

They say the Jets only top-end offensive prospect is Scheifele, with Telegin a possibility. Also, other than Postma and Redmond, need more offensive defencemen (although could O'Neill be a possibility?).
I am glad the Jets are moving in the right direction. The 2011 spring rankings had us in 29th place while the 2011 fall rankings had us in 28th. Part of the increase of course is due to some teams graduating their prospects, but no team has gained ground over us either. I attribute the increase to the development of our prospects in St.John's this year. A lot of players had breakout years and showed that True North is on the right track. I am particularity interested in John Albert and Pasquale. I think both players could make the team next year but they would also be better served to play an extra year with more responsibility.

As far as scoring defencemen, I think we will address this in the upcoming draft as there are a lot of good two-way defenders in the first round. The article was also accurate in pointing out that we do not have many top-six forwards. I do not see this changing in the upcoming draft unless we make some deals.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Unstickied this to reduce clutter, since the Ice Caps and the CHL season is over.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Peace out McFaull, Owuya and Pettersson-Wentzel.

Quote:
The Jets will not be making a contract offer to the 20-year-old Swedish netminder, selected in the fifth round (128th overall) by the Atlanta Thrashers in the 2010 NHL entry draft.

Teams have two years to sign players after initially drafting them and, despite Pettersson-Wentzel's credentials, Jets management will not be offering him a deal before the June 1 deadline.

Also becoming free agents -- meaning the Jets are pushing on and not offering them contracts -- are defencemen Sebastian Owuya and Kendall McFaull.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...155890495.html

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Peace out McFaull, Owuya and Pettersson-Wentzel.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...155890495.html
Probably minor but really surprised and kinda not happy they would not even OFFER a contract to Pettersson-Wentzel, he looks like a real solid goaltending prospect, in 2/3 years I have a feeling his will be one of the highly sought after European Free Agent prospects considering how good he's been at just 19 in SEL

Old
05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Probably minor but really surprised and kinda not happy they would not even OFFER a contract to Pettersson-Wentzel, he looks like a real solid goaltending prospect, in 2/3 years I have a feeling his will be one of the highly sought after European Free Agent prospects considering how good he's been at just 19 in SEL
Holden someone mentioned when TNSE interviewed him he was not interested in moving to North America? I will try to dig up the post.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Now, I don't put much stock into what Bill Waters has to say at the best of times. That said, this is an interesting tweet...

Quote:
Bill Watters ‏@RealBillWatters Back up goalie for WPG in12/13(if they play) will be Eddie Pasqale.He simply has been the best goalie in the AHL playoffs. StJ Ice Cap is BIG (27 May)
That is pretty much the first time I've seen/heard any media put Pasquale in Winnipeg for the coming season.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:18 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Now, I don't put much stock into what Bill Waters has to say at the best of times. That said, this is an interesting tweet...

That is pretty much the first time I've seen/heard any media put Pasquale in Winnipeg for the coming season.
Not unless they can't get Mason back. Pasquale may have proved himself at an AHL level, but he has yet to put in a full season as a full time number 1 goalie.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Apparently Winnipeg has chosen to forefeit the rights to more prospects (3) than any other team (most forfeited the rights to 2 at most).

Does this mean Chevy might be in the market to sign 1 or 2 prospects that other teams chose to forfeit the rights to or were unable to come to terms with?

Some interesting names remaining unsigned are:

Joonas Donskoi (FLA)
Ludvig Rensfeldt (CHI)
Petr Straka (CBJ)
Adam Janosik (TBL)
Brock Beukeboom (STL)

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:51 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Holden someone mentioned when TNSE interviewed him he was not interested in moving to North America? I will try to dig up the post.
http://www.nwt.se/sport/folj_fbk/article1116259.ece

Quote:
– It's my agent that has been doing all the talking, but from my understanding they weren't interested enough to offer me a contract, says PW.

– My NHL dreams are still alive but I'm looking forward to next season and hope I can develop further.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Apparently Winnipeg has chosen to forefeit the rights to more prospects (3) than any other team (most forfeited the rights to 2 at most).

Does this mean Chevy might be in the market to sign 1 or 2 prospects that other teams chose to forfeit the rights to or were unable to come to terms with?

Joonas Donskoi (FLA)
Ludvig Rensfeldt (CHI)
Petr Straka (CBJ)
Adam Janosik (TBL)
Brock Beukeboom (STL)
Quote:

Joonas Donskoi (FLA)
Ludvig Rensfeldt (CHI)
Petr Straka (CBJ)
Adam Janosik (TBL)
Brock Beukeboom (STL)
Players forfeited on June 1 head back into the draft. All those players are not eligible to be signed. EDIT: Unless they had been passed over at least one season before being drafted. I do not know if any of the ones listed above were.

And there is already much too much defenseman depth is, at least in part, why Owuya and McFaull don't get signed. No idea why FPW wasn't at least offered a contract, but no this does not mean Chevy is necessarily targeting other prospects, it's one of those things, a large number of prospects go unsigned every year. That being said it's not like Chevy is NOT looking for good young talent, just not like he would release a player he liked already protected by Jets for a CHANCE at another player, IMO.

Quote:
Even if this was true (joe89's post suggests that it's not) my point was they didn't even OFFER him a contract. Very disappointing, he is a solid prospect and would have fit in very nice competing with Carrozzi for the backup spot in St. John's, maybe potentially starting to give Pasquale some heat as well.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 06-01-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old
06-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Considering this it's definitely a little worrisome to me that he wouldn't get an ELC, by all accounts he seems to be a legitimate prospect and it's not like the Jets have an excess of goalies signed..

Edit:

Also worth noting, Carolina isn't signing Frederik Andersen who was another late round 2010 goalie who posted Very impressive stats as a starter in the SEL last year. So maybe theres some sort of worry about young goalies out of Sweden?

Further Edit:

According to Elliote Friedman in his 30 Thoughts the Penticton prospects tournament is cancelled this year due to uncertainty regarding the new CBA. Pretty disappointing to me, but at least I guess the Jets should be having the standard prospects mini-camp after the draft this year since it won't be rushed.

Last edited by Rheged: 06-01-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:34 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Players forfeited on June 1 head back into the draft. All those players are not eligible to be signed. EDIT: Unless they had been passed over at least one season before being drafted. I do not know if any of the ones listed above were.

And there is already much too much defenseman depth is, at least in part, why Owuya and McFaull don't get signed. No idea why FPW wasn't at least offered a contract, but no this does not mean Chevy is necessarily targeting other prospects, it's one of those things, a large number of prospects go unsigned every year. That being said it's not like Chevy is NOT looking for good young talent, just not like he would release a player he liked already protected by Jets for a CHANCE at another player, IMO.

Even if this was true (joe89's post suggests that it's not) my point was they didn't even OFFER him a contract. Very disappointing, he is a solid prospect and would have fit in very nice competing with Carrozzi for the backup spot in St. John's, maybe potentially starting to give Pasquale some heat as well.
My bad on this one Joe89 on another thread had speculated "it could be he doesn't want to move to North America" but he also said he would dig deeper.......I mistook that for he didn't want to come over..........so that's how rumour's get started

not sure why they wouldn't have made him an offer?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
My bad on this one Joe89 on another thread had speculated "it could be he doesn't want to move to North America" but he also said he would dig deeper.......I mistook that for he didn't want to come over..........so that's how rumour's get started

not sure why they wouldn't have made him an offer?
Maybe the new regime doesn't think he is good enough? Unlike d men or forwards, there are only so many goaltending prospects you can find spots - and more importantly, playing time for.

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:51 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Maybe the new regime doesn't think he is good enough? Unlike d men or forwards, there are only so many goaltending prospects you can find spots - and more importantly, playing time for.
According to the WPG Sun a few days ago, he regressed this season and lost his starter role. I'm sure there are more factors than that, though.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
According to the WPG Sun a few days ago, he regressed this season and lost his starter role. I'm sure there are more factors than that, though.
I don't know if he regressed. But if he was supposed to be the starter, he lost the starter role to the (supposedly) best goalie in the SEL this year.

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Hansen Brother

I've been wondering for some time whether or not we should think about trading Postma and/or Kulda for something (likely picks I would imagine).

With regards to Postma, from what I understand he sounds like a Buff-lite. Good on the offense, not too good at defense. I've read here if we were to trade out Enstrom we should look to Postma to fill the position. Ignoring the difference in ability there is the simple fact Enstrom is LH and Postma is RH. If were to trade anyone and expect Postma to fill the spot I think it would be Buff. Otherwise I think we should try to trade Postma for something useful. I don't know what we could get, maybe a 2nd or third, no idea really?

I like Kulda, think he plays a pretty decent game and was disappointed when he didn't get to stay with the team when he got called up. From the bit I watched him and what I've read about him it seems he would make a pretty good bottom pairing defenceman. The problem with that on the Jets is Stuart has the bottom pairing LD pretty much sewn up. Now my questions is, once Kulda gets a season or two of NHL experience how much of a drop would there be between him and what we have now in Stuart? If Kulda could play the left side for a season and put Stuart on his offside (right) and then trade Stuart, in theory that would be better asset management. We would take something no one wants (Kulda), turn him into something we need (Stuart 2.0), and trade the now surplus Stuart who other teams would want.

If there's anything we have in our system it's middling defensive prospects. We need to start making good use of them to improve the team and I think, in theory, that is the way we should make use of those two.

Thoughts?

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:59 PM
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
If there's anything we have in our system it's middling defensive prospects. We need to start making good use of them to improve the team and I think, in theory, that is the way we should make use of those two.

Thoughts?
I'd personally rather have depth at a position than have to deal with the unpredictability of more draft picks. Players who have no significant time in the NHL won't be moved for as much as they're worth.
Kulda doesn't play physical enough to replace Stuart outright and it also doesn't hurt that Stuart is playing on a ridiculously team-friendly contract. You just don't trade a player like Stuart for the sake of asset management because he won't bring what we want in return without packaging him with something a lot more appealing to other teams.

None is online now   Reply With Quote