HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who else has gone the Schultz route?

Old
05-31-2012, 03:13 PM
17Kurri

vCash: 500
Riley Nash was sort of similar, but his situation was dealt with more like Johnson's. Maybe the same happens with Schultz.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:14 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post

In other words, don't take him seriously on that subject. I hope Carolina doesn't draft Jacob Trouba, because it could turn out similarly as he has similar college aspirations as Jack.
As Boom Boom pointed out, so did Brian Dumoulin, the Canes had tried to sign him after his Soph. season at BC since they felt he had little left to prove at the NCAA level. He disagreed and stayed at BC, then promptly signed with the Canes after winning the title. Biega's doing the same this year, again JR has no problem with it.

It literally was a perfect storm that caused the Johnson trade. Injuries to top 4 dmen (Kaberle, Wallin, Hedican to start the season), UFA departures (Ward) and lack of depth, combined with increasing speculation that Johnson was going to spend all 4 seasons at Michigan, led to JR making the move. Now, obviously that doesn't make it the case that he was going to spurn the Canes. But it also goes contrary to the thought process that the Canes would trade him simply because he indicated he was going to spend another year at Michigan. But there were rumors at the time, and not just Eklund level throw **** at the wall to see what sticks type stuff, that Johnson may have in fact spent all 4 years at Michigan (leaving him open to pulling a Schultz/Wheeler) while he was Canes property. Whether there was something to them or not is the question.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:25 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
It literally was a perfect storm that caused the Johnson trade. Injuries to top 4 dmen (Kaberle, Wallin, Hedican to start the season), UFA departures (Ward) and lack of depth, combined with increasing speculation that Johnson was going to spend all 4 seasons at Michigan, led to JR making the move. Now, obviously that doesn't make it the case that he was going to spurn the Canes. But it also goes contrary to the thought process that the Canes would trade him simply because he indicated he was going to spend another year at Michigan. But there were rumors at the time, and not just Eklund level throw **** at the wall to see what sticks type stuff, that Johnson may have in fact spent all 4 years at Michigan (leaving him open to pulling a Schultz/Wheeler) while he was Canes property. Whether there was something to them or not is the question.
This paragraph is fine, because you're acknowledging that while there was a lot of speculation and rumors, that's all they were...speculation and rumors. The facts, until proven otherwise, were that Rutherford desperately wanted Johnson to leave Michigan, Johnson wanted to stay, so he traded him for immediate help. That's what the transaction history says, that's what all the quotes say, etc. But at least you're acknowledging all that. The problem with Vagrant's post is that he's stating it as fact that Johnson was never going to sign with Carolina at all, and therefore he was traded. Not speculating, but asserting it as fact. That's the difference.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Regarding the Jack Johnson talk in this thread: People need to understand this is coming solely from Vagrant, aka Caniacforever, aka the person who spreads disinformation on account of being the most ******** person on this site that his favorite team couldnít understand Jack Johnson just wanted to play college hockey. LA allowed him to do just that, Carolina didnít. Vagrant has since spent most of his time in denial, bad mouthing Jack Johnson and putting the fault on him instead of his favorite franchise in a pathological sort of way.

In other words, don't take him seriously on that subject. I hope Carolina doesn't draft Jacob Trouba, because it could turn out similarly as he has similar college aspirations as Jack.
I find it incredibly odd that you know who I am or have taken such an active interest in my posting to know how I feel about Jack Johnson or any other subject. This is one situation where the frustrating amount of substantial evidence, word of mouth, deeply embedded sources, and words in a private forum of a GM himself provide you with literally ZERO quantifiable proof of what everybody in the Hurricanes organization knows and believes. The fact that the lack of a full time beat writer for Carolina, or multiple beat writers, makes us practically a KHL franchise for all intents and purposes does not help these facts come to light. I never attempted to force anybody to believe in any way, I simply presented what I have come to know about the Johnson situation in the manner that I believe it happened and leave the rest to be self-evident. It was frustrating at the time being spurned by such a highly regarded prospect, but it has also been vindicating to see career path mirror his poor attitude with inconsistency.

It's fine if you don't wish to take me seriously on the subject, you can join the rest of em. That doesn't make it any less valid. I have said it any number of times, if there was any GM stupid enough in hockey to trade a player that Johnson was projected to become for a "quick fix", that man doesn't deserve to be at the helm of an NHL franchise. Much less the two time executive of the year and Cup winning Jim Rutherford. Taking 3 budget teams to the conference finals or better in the past 10 years. But hey, I suppose he just forgot his medicine that day and gave up Johnson for fifty cents on the dollar because he was just oh so angry that Johnson wanted to spend another year developing in college. Seems reasonable, yeah? Passes the sniff test.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Sure it does.
He's not that good and they don't think he'll become much of an NHL player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Ludvig Rensfeldt might be doing this right now with the Hawks, though he won't become a UFA he'll just re-enter the draft. He was taken 35th overall in 2010 and it doesn't make any sense why Chicago wouldn't sign him.. but, here we are on the 31st and he's still not inked to a contract.
Hey its true. This season in Sarnia I wasn't very impressed with him. Big guy that can protect the puck decently well, but he doesn't go to the net hard, way too soft, and definitely doesn't have that NHL speed yet. He's much more of a project player I would think, but there hasn't been much improvement since he's been drafted.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:47 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Rensfeldt is definately a project and he's nowhere near a finished product yet.. but a guy that size who's shown an ability to put up huge point totals in Sweden is definately worth being signed.

Keep in mind, his season in Sarnia was his first in NA.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote