HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: The Andrew McCutchen is God Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Where's that guy who said AJ Burnett was the Antichrist? 2 hits through 7, one unearned run.

If you throw out that 12-run start he's probably got a sub-2.0 ERA.
I assume you're talking about me. Although I only said he's a lousy baseball player.

He's been good so far, but I still think he's a lousy baseball player. He's been decent enough through the end of May for the past couple years and then fallen off a cliff. I expect that to happen again.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
You gotta think Bedard is traded, though. And if we're not right there within reach of the division or a wildcard, some of these bullpen arms are probably being dealt as well. Also consider that a full, healthy season isn't something Bedard has managed to pull off in a while.

I think they end up winning 70-75.
I have said this for a while now. And most likely thought it was my usual Pirates' slam.

Bedard, Burnett, Hanrahan all will be gone to start. There likely will be one or two others sent packing as well. This team will still lose 90 games once the team pitching takes that hit. Partly from the loss of talent, partly because of the message it sends and the remaining players not caring anymore, much like last year.

Now I think that this is the right move in theory. Anyone who sees the Pirates as legitimate contenders should be pointed at and laughed at, because it is a ridiculous self deception. In practice though you have the guy who may be the worst GM in baseball handling it which gives me no confidence whatsoever that he will execute this in any positive way. The guy who has had a series of UFA signings that has been one failure after another culminating with the signing of Clint Barmes and Rod Barajas as recently as this past offseason. I have no confidence that Huntington will execute this well at all, and I say this even giving credit for a couple of good trades like the one that brought us James McDonald.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

The way the media has turned on Huntington, I think he may be replaced after the draft, but perhaps before the trading deadline.

Huntington's track record in trades is that he gets more than he should for relief pitchers, including McDonald for a 36-year-old and only moderately effective Octavio Dotel, and crap when he trades anything else. This means Huntington should move Hanrahan now. Then again, out of the three pitchers who should in theory be traded, Hanrahan is the only one I think is a better than 50% chance to hold his value for another month. Bedard is going to break, as per usual, and Burnett is going to fall of a cliff, as per usual.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Jaded-Fan

As an aside, Dejan posted this article earlier this week, excerpted below, which touches in more detail on what has gone wrong and why Huntington has failed as regards bats. He askes some serious questions that Huntington and ownership should answer for:

'picture a roomful of men concluding it would be a swell idea to invest $6 million in an overweight, hobbled, chain-smoking, disinterested Aki Iwamura.

Next, multiply by 100.

Or is that .100?

There’s no simple way to explain the chasm between the Pirates’ pitching and hitting processes. But most of it, beyond a doubt, is poor major league scouting.

Huntington won’t discuss specifics of this area, and he’ll never point fingers. Few GMs would. But it’s worth noting that his five special assistants — the men charged with studying other major league teams — changed two names over the winter: Gone were pitching experts Pete Vuckovich and Larry Corrigan. In were Jim Benedict, who had been the minor league pitching coordinator, and Dave Jauss, who had been the Mets’ bench coach.

Change is good, for sure, but why not hire an ace hitting evaluator unlike anyone in the current group?

Why not open up all five spots, for that matter?

Who’s responsible for recommending Iwamura?

It wasn’t the two pitching guys who just left, so why are the rest still employed?

The amateur scouts responsible for the draft have fared no better. The system’s top hitting prospect is outfielder Starling Marte, and the top performers to date are second baseman Alen Hanson and outfielder Gregory Polanco. None were drafted. All were signed by Latin American director Rene Gayo.

Why are the scouts who wasted much of $51 million in draft bonuses on failed hitting still employed?

Why was former scouting director Greg Smith promoted to assistant GM over the winter?

The only bat to Smith’s name is Pedro Alvarez, an easy pick at the time.

The instruction has sunk just as low, certainly in Pittsburgh.

Did you know Huntington hired both of his hitting coaches, Don Long and Gregg Ritchie, without a job search?

For real: Long joined John Russell’s staff with no one else being interviewed. Ritchie was similarly promoted from within.

That’s mind-boggling.

Long became a good hitting coach, and his firing remains puzzling. But Ritchie’s tenure, as the numbers painfully illustrate, has been a disaster. The only player to improve under Ritchie’s watch has been Andrew McCutchen, and McCutchen has said that the main change he’s made — a more open stance — was his own idea.

How is Ritchie still employed?

If Huntington doesn’t feel compelled to make a change — any change — on any of these fronts to support the fine pitching he’s built, then where are Bob Nutting and Frank Coonelly?

Check out this quote from Huntington to Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal yesterday regarding adding offense through a trade: “We are open to an impact trade if it is the right deal, not because we need offense.”

Wow.

Has total oblivion set in at 115 Federal Street?

It’s all stuff to think about when you watch McDonald and the pitchers shine, today and beyond, while the hitters continue to mostly flail and fail.

Neither happens by accident'

http://triblive.com/sports/1863151-7...draft-employed

Old
05-31-2012, 02:42 PM
WVU71

Bill Brink ‏@BrinkPG
#Pirates release Nate McLouth

Old
05-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Flat Stanley

"Hines Ward hired by NBC as analyst"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Old
05-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422

Essentially replaces Bettis...I think Ward is better suited for the gig than Bettis was.

As for McLouth...I just want to know what the **** happened to that guy's game. He was struggling a bit in the time leading up to his trade to Atlanta, but he just fell off a cliff upon arriving there and just kept falling further and further as time went on. Pretty bad case of Steve Blass Disease for Nate.

Oddly fitting that he was replaced on the roster by one of the three guys he was traded for. Gorkys is about as light hitting a prospect you'll find in baseball...but even he should hit more than one home run in a calender year.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 05-31-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
"Hines Ward hired by NBC as analyst"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
And Kordell Stewart officially retired a steeler.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Now the question is if Amos Zeroue and Eric Peagram will be given the dignity of retiring as a Steeler.

For guys like Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith? Yeah, I guess it makes sense...but for a mediocre QB like Stewart? Total joke.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:19 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
Now the question is if Amos Zeroue and Eric Peagram will be given the dignity of retiring as a Steeler.

For guys like Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith? Yeah, I guess it makes sense...but for a mediocre QB like Stewart? Total joke.
Also he hasn't played in 7 ****ing years, so I'm pretty sure he "retired" a while ago. Just weird.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:38 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Well to be fair he was pretty good at his peak and the only quarterback of significance after bradshaw and until Ben.

He was very bad also, but him winning offensive player of the year was legit...he was michael vick before michael vick was and at the top of his game he was great to watch.

This whole retiring "officially" thing is weird though.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Illinest

Quote:
I don't have a firm name yet. The only thing I can share that I've heard all week is that this shortstop everyone is assigning to be the Pirates' choice -- Deven Marrero -- it WON'T be him. If the Pirates are going to get a bat, they're going to get a bat-first prospect. Marrero isn't that.
- Dejan Kovacevic

Old
05-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Well to be fair he was pretty good at his peak and the only quarterback of significance after bradshaw and until Ben.

He was very bad also, but him winning offensive player of the year was legit...he was michael vick before michael vick was and at the top of his game he was great to watch.

This whole retiring "officially" thing is weird though.
I agree. It's hard to think of the mid-late 90's through the early 2000's and not think of Kordell. A lot of those memories aren't great because of his lack of QB skills but he was a great athlete/weapon for years in the offense. He just shouldn't have been a full time QB. Maybe a situational QB or emergency QB but not a full time one. He was a very good WR and he probably would have had an even longer career staying at that position. Classy move by the Steelers to grant him his wish to retire as a Steeler. He clearly wasn't a Raven or Bear.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
- Dejan Kovacevic
That is the best thing I've heard all month.

...pretend I posted this 8 minutes ago (mountain time).

Old
06-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I agree. It's hard to think of the mid-late 90's through the early 2000's and not think of Kordell. A lot of those memories aren't great because of his lack of QB skills but he was a great athlete/weapon for years in the offense. He just shouldn't have been a full time QB. Maybe a situational QB or emergency QB but not a full time one. He was a very good WR and he probably would have had an even longer career staying at that position. Classy move by the Steelers to grant him his wish to retire as a Steeler. He clearly wasn't a Raven or Bear.
It's not like Kordell was Franco or Lambert...Slash was popular at times, but never beloved by the fan base. Fuamatu Ma'afala was popular too...will they be bringing him back as well?

Other guys from that era like Bettis, Hartings, Lake, etc. stuck around and have been active with the team and the city in various ways...those are the kind of guys you do this for, not Kordell. Stewart had a pretty rocky relationship with the fans/media and never really embraced the city...some of you will say "Bradshaw was the same way," but it's a hell of a lot easier to rebuild bridges when you have 4 rings.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Actually, I'd love it if they brought back Fu, and KVO as well. Pittsburgh and Hawaii are my two favorite places outside Montana, so I love anybody who connects the two.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
Fuamatu Ma'afala was popular too...will they be bringing him back as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Actually, I'd love it if they brought back Fu, and KVO as well. Pittsburgh and Hawaii are my two favorite places outside Montana, so I love anybody who connects the two.
http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-8b1f399c73b8

excerpt:
Quote:
Where Are They Now: Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
Posted Apr 6, 2011
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Do you still follow the Steelers and if so, how closely?
I do always. In Hawaii, nobody remembers me playing for the Jaguars. Everything was all about Pittsburgh. I am glad it’s like that. I want to be remembered as a Steeler.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 06-01-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old
06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I have his rookie card Haha. Loved that guy and actually saw him at kennywood once. Dude was huge.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:29 PM
clefty
What?

Nyjer Morgan? Really?

Old
06-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Jose Tabata doesn't even care right now...

This team cannot afford to strand 4 runners, especially in Milwaukee.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:03 PM
sniugneP

Good at-bat by Barajas.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:08 PM
sniugneP

Bucs scored 6 runs in 3rd.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Nyjer Morgan...AAA talent with a Super star's ego.

Nice catch, Plush.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:36 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Okay Buccos okay

Closed Thread