HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 08:59 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
As long as your foot is stable in the boot and your heel is locked in tight, that half size is preference. Remember how I said that feathering is 'ideal'? People go up or down to preference still. In some brands (Bauer for sure) the toecap gets upsized every full size (7.5 has a size 7 cap, 8 has size 8 cap) so that makes a difference as well.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:41 AM
steev182

Heading to my LHS at lunch with this advice fresh in my mind to get some properly fitting and suitable skates for me.

Thanks!

Old
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
As long as your foot is stable in the boot and your heel is locked in tight, that half size is preference. Remember how I said that feathering is 'ideal'? People go up or down to preference still. In some brands (Bauer for sure) the toecap gets upsized every full size (7.5 has a size 7 cap, 8 has size 8 cap) so that makes a difference as well.
Awesome. I'm having some stability and control issues with my right skate, and I'm trying to rule things out.

Almost feels like the blade is angled relative to the way my foot wants to go - makes getting the outside edge dicey.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
steev182

Well I tried on a few different skates. Size 9 2E Supremes just didn't want to give my feet a home, size 10 E (I think) CCM Tacks were comfortable all over, but felt like they only had a little extra ankle support over my Rapides, which when the girl heard the ones I had say "wow, they're not much thicker than paper". I then tried Bauer Vapor X:15s as I wanted to try something with more ankle support, which were the only Vapors they had in 9 2E and they felt much better. The forefoot is snug but not painful, the heel locked in nicely and when tied, they felt like they had more support.

They were $120, which was more than getting them online, but I felt like they helped me get some skates that fit me well and will be better for me than the flimsy skates I already have.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Squad50FF

Hello all,

I recently just purchased Vapor X5.0's. I was sized in the shop and tried them on as well and they felt like the fit very well. I had them baked, and skated on them for the first time the next day. I'm not sure if it's part of breaking in a new skate or whether they don't actually fit me well, but the entire time my feet were killing me. At first I thought I tied them too tight, but even after loosening them I was having pain in my arches and on the sides of my feet. Prior to that the only other ice skates I've worn/owned were bauer supreme one20's, and I never had an issue with them. I'm not really sure what to do!

Old
06-01-2012, 12:10 AM
AIREAYE

Try putting a Superfeet footbed in there. It will support the heel and prevent your arch from collapsing, which, for some people, also causes slight width issues.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Awesome. I'm having some stability and control issues with my right skate, and I'm trying to rule things out.

Almost feels like the blade is angled relative to the way my foot wants to go - makes getting the outside edge dicey.
I think i know what you mean, I have the same thing sometimes where I feel like the blades look like this from behind | \

Old
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I think i know what you mean, I have the same thing sometimes where I feel like the blades look like this from behind | \
Yeah, sort of.

Its hard to pin down - is it a skate problem, or is it just that I'm a crappy skater? (I am a crappy skater, for the record).

Old
06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Anyone know if the Stealth fits like the S17? That boot fits me like it was made for me. Nothing else quite fit as well so far.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:55 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Yeah, sort of.

Its hard to pin down - is it a skate problem, or is it just that I'm a crappy skater? (I am a crappy skater, for the record).
You might want to take it to a different sharpener too. I've had horrid sharpening jobs where one skate just goes in a different direction or better yet when I turn sharp it's like one of my skates is a bmx bike in gravel. Generally if your edges "feel" off - and they didn't feel that way before, something is up. You stepped on concrete, you chipped it near the bench or the sharpener got one edge too deep etc.

Trust your feel for the ice, it's what keeps you upright

Old
06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
Anyone know if the Stealth fits like the S17? That boot fits me like it was made for me. Nothing else quite fit as well so far.
The S17 is a Stealth skate...

I'll update on the RS when I have more time to take a good look at it, it's quite different.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
opivy
Sauce King

I know they're the same line but they went away from the materials from the previous iteration of the Stealths (last few years, SE16, S15, S17 etc)

I live in Montana and we don't get the high end equipment for sale here so I'd hate to make a purchase expecting the same fit and end up with something that rhymes with fit.

Thanks for the look

Old
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
AIREAYE

Are you asking about the S17 or the RS skate?

Old
06-04-2012, 06:40 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
You might want to take it to a different sharpener too. I've had horrid sharpening jobs where one skate just goes in a different direction or better yet when I turn sharp it's like one of my skates is a bmx bike in gravel. Generally if your edges "feel" off - and they didn't feel that way before, something is up. You stepped on concrete, you chipped it near the bench or the sharpener got one edge too deep etc.

Trust your feel for the ice, it's what keeps you upright
Here's my problem - as a crappy-but-improving skater, I'm still developing my feel for the ice, which is why its so hard to trace whether its a skate problem or a me problem.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:25 PM
opivy
Sauce King

I am asking if the RS fits like the S17 because I currently own the S17's and I love them.

As far as developing the feel for the ice, if it gets worse, or different and not better then there is probably an equipment malady. That has been my experience so far.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
AIREAYE

After examining the skate, a few impressions I got off about fit specifically were that the ankle and heel seem similar in shape, the widefoot is no longer as wide as in previous years' Stealth skates. The toebox is quite large, but back to a traditional rounded box shape (think Supreme). No longer has a shallow forefoot depth.

Flexible tendon guard like Reebok and NXG. Softer boot than the S17, the level of stiffness is pretty consistent to a $600-$700 skate if not a bit softer. No longer has a carbon/texalium focused construction.

New footbed concept, bit more support in the arch and heel.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
steev182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad50FF View Post
Hello all,

I recently just purchased Vapor X5.0's. I was sized in the shop and tried them on as well and they felt like the fit very well. I had them baked, and skated on them for the first time the next day. I'm not sure if it's part of breaking in a new skate or whether they don't actually fit me well, but the entire time my feet were killing me. At first I thought I tied them too tight, but even after loosening them I was having pain in my arches and on the sides of my feet. Prior to that the only other ice skates I've worn/owned were bauer supreme one20's, and I never had an issue with them. I'm not really sure what to do!
I tried mine tonight, and wow, they felt like I could skate better, I wasn't collapsing onto my inside edges like this / \ but was like this when just gliding | |. I was also able to move to my outside edges better too. The only thing was the soles of my feet killed! If I get super feet, do I take the existing footbeds out? I do have high arches, so better footbeds might help. These skates do feel much better technically though!

Old
06-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 355
So I'm a size 14 shoe looking to buy some some skates online. I'm still learning to skate, but I'm really committed to learning to skate and eventually play hockey. As far as price, I'm probably willing to spend up to $150.

In what I've seen from my searching, I can't even find skates in my size. Are they any good places online to buy "larger" skates that aren't going to break the bank?

Old
06-09-2012, 06:07 PM
steev182

Try to find a store. You might find that you are "only" a 13 or 12 when you try them on with somebody fitting them for you.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev182 View Post
Try to find a store. You might find that you are "only" a 13 or 12 when you try them on with somebody fitting them for you.
I live in North Carolina....probably the only place that has ice skates is Play It Again sports.

I've been to Dick's....they didn't have any hockey gear at all. Sports Authority had literally one single pair of skates, not surprisingly, they weren't my size.

Last time I rented skates, a size 13 was just a little too small and kind of crushed my toes. The skates eventually chafed my heel, but that was probably a mixture of wearing crappy socks and the skates being cheap rental skates.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Copeland

So I finally got to the LHS and they fitted me with a Supreme, I was a little worried because they didn't have me try the Reebok which is what I thought I was gonna walk out with, but... Well I wish I could say it's all good, but I just wimped out and didn't push to try the Reebok... The lacebite with the Supreme is pretty bad from trying it in the store, but they assure me I can come back to put some HD foam there...

Anyway here's the kicker: I'm walking out with 4.5 skates! Lol I had 6.5 player skates that I self-fitted, so there you go. What's been said about wearing the wrong size without realizing it is definitely a very valid warning!

Also, I previously had yellow Superfeet, which were better than the factory insole but still felt a tad off. Tried black Superfeet and at least in the store it felt a little better than the yellows. So if you're putting in insoles ask if you can test them out first to see which works better (just stand on it in your socks).

Last edited by Copeland: 06-09-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old
06-09-2012, 08:26 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Puck Mafia View Post
I live in North Carolina....probably the only place that has ice skates is Play It Again sports.

I've been to Dick's....they didn't have any hockey gear at all. Sports Authority had literally one single pair of skates, not surprisingly, they weren't my size.

Last time I rented skates, a size 13 was just a little too small and kind of crushed my toes. The skates eventually chafed my heel, but that was probably a mixture of wearing crappy socks and the skates being cheap rental skates.
Your best bet is to make a trip to another state with better shops. Skates are a very very important piece of hardware; don't settle.

Old
06-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

Quote:
Your best bet is to make a trip to another state with better shops. Skates are a very very important piece of hardware; don't settle.
I have grandparents that live in Detroit, I might make a day trip up there for some skates.

I just hope it won't be too hard to find skates in size 14 though.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:53 PM
AIREAYE

You most likely will not be a size 14, but Michigan has a lot of good shops. Go around and try on a few pairs. I also suggest you expand your pricepoint to the $250 range at least. Skates at that range are more likely to offer larger sizes as opposed to entry level skates.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

Quote:
You most likely will not be a size 14, but Michigan has a lot of good shops. Go around and try on a few pairs. I also suggest you expand your pricepoint to the $250 range at least. Skates at that range are more likely to offer larger sizes as opposed to entry level skates.
I'm a size 14 shoe, I've seen a few sizing charts that say that most companies skate size 12 or 12.5 is equal to a shoe size 14.

I've had rental skates that were a size 13 that were just too small for my feet, so I can only assume that those were shoe-sized 13 skates.

Closed Thread