Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Jamie Benn

Old
04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
2 years, 4 mil per. Doesn't break the bank and keeps everyone's options open. Should be able to negotiate a better contract in 2 years depending on his development and progression.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
There's no way he takes that. Thinking he will either want something around 3 years minimum.

I'd throw a lot his way just to get him locked up.

5x5 for me. Kessler money.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:12 PM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
2 years, 4 mil per. Doesn't break the bank and keeps everyone's options open. Should be able to negotiate a better contract in 2 years depending on his development and progression.
Huh? Any team will offer-sheet him a much better offer if we low-ball him like that, and that'd be a price that is in the Vanek category. 5x5 seems like the deal to go with, but if he is willing to sacrifice 2 of his UFA years, make it ~5.75 x 7.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
He is an excellent 65-70 point top 6 play anywhere forward. He was nowhere near as dangerous this year as last, but he still got better. Best comparable would be Lucic, imo. He is 23 and makes 4, 4, 4.25. Same production and similar team impact.

Kesler's contact was his third. Eriksson is on his third. This org obviously believes in the 2nd contract. I don't think 4mil is a low ball for Benn, especially as a 2nd contract. It is absurd to think that he should get 5.75 for 7 years unless it is structured to pay big during hid prime years. No GM in their right mind would sacrifice the picks needed to get Benn to sign some ludicrous offer sheet.

A 3 years, 12-13 mil contract would be okay with me, too, but this 5 year, 5+ per crap is absurd.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
He is an excellent 65-70 point top 6 play anywhere forward. He was nowhere near as dangerous this year as last, but he still got better. Best comparable would be Lucic, imo. He is 23 and makes 4, 4, 4.25. Same production and similar team impact.

Kesler's contact was his third. Eriksson is on his third. This org obviously believes in the 2nd contract. I don't think 4mil is a low ball for Benn, especially as a 2nd contract. It is absurd to think that he should get 5.75 for 7 years unless it is structured to pay big during hid prime years. No GM in their right mind would sacrifice the picks needed to get Benn to sign some ludicrous offer sheet.

A 3 years, 12-13 mil contract would be okay with me, too, but this 5 year, 5+ per crap is absurd.
You're going to be really disappointed with the reality of the situation then.

Benn has accomplished more at a younger age than either Kesler or Eriksson. They're simply not comparable players when devising a contract. Benn has put himself in the territory of making the organization look at this as their own Drew Doughty situation. They should really be looking at giving him a contract that eats up one or two years of UFA. That's the give that gets Benn paid more now but keeps him here longer (for sure) and likely at a bargain price during the mid-later part of the contract.

None of us know what kind of changes are going to be made to the CBA so none of us are working with a full deck here but going by recent trends Benn would be foolish to sign a two year deal. Scratch that. The organization would be foolish to sign him to a two year deal. That would put him in limbo land when that contract expires, assuming a similar UFA entry situation as now (7 years pro or 27 years old). In two years Benn will have burned five of those seven years. If he keeps playing well then the organization is going to have to pay out the ear to get him to stay beyond his UFA summer.

Pay the man and pay him now. Show him he means to the organization what it's obvious to everyone that he does. He's our Tavares; the Isles simply lack their own Eriksson. More than splashing into free agency having an owner should ultimately being able to keep homegrown talent as long as possible. When you've grown a peach of a player you keep him around.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:59 AM
mstad101

Hi Canuck fan coming to ask an honest question.
What do you guys think would be the limit where Dallas wouldn't match an offer sheet for Jamie Benn?

Maybe a structured deal where he get a nice signing bonus and like a 5 million dollar cap hit?

Young guy, with good size and puck possession skills who can score 25-30 goals while being able to sub in at Centre while Kesler is out, and than could switch to his wing.

I'd offer 5 years 25 million, where he gets a nice 5 million dollar signing bonus and like 4 million salary.

Any other thoughts?

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:23 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Hi Canuck fan coming to ask an honest question.
What do you guys think would be the limit where Dallas wouldn't match an offer sheet for Jamie Benn?

Maybe a structured deal where he get a nice signing bonus and like a 5 million dollar cap hit?

Young guy, with good size and puck possession skills who can score 25-30 goals while being able to sub in at Centre while Kesler is out, and than could switch to his wing.

I'd offer 5 years 25 million, where he gets a nice 5 million dollar signing bonus and like 4 million salary.

Any other thoughts?
The Stars probably wouldn't match a 4 1sts offer sheet, which has an annual cap hit of over $7.84M. If someone offer sheeted him $6.3-7.7M, which has a compensation of 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd, I think the Stars would match, although it is remotely possible GMJN wouldn't match. But they'd be very unlikely not to match a team like Vancouver, whose picks will all be in the back 1/3rd of each round. Your offer falls into the 1st, 2nd and 3rd category, and there is no way the Stars would not match.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:50 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I'm hoping the Stars sign him to a deal like that or for one year longer. 25 over 5 isn't anywhere close to being something they wouldn't match and I don't think it would even give them pause.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 05-24-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old
05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Just as a heads-up any Benn contract discussion is going to get moved to this thread to keep it out of the Offseason talk. Much like what we did for the Neal contract situation 2 summers ago.

From the owner:
Obviously Jamie Benn is a cornerstone of our franchise, let's just put that out there.

He's going to be a Dallas Star.

He's not a guy we're going to let go. He's from my neck of the woods. A Canadian kid. You know I watched him play in the Western Hockey League and he's a difference maker.
I don't think there's really an offer sheet out there the Stars won't match.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
5 years 30m

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

I'm not at all worried about Benn getting poached. Other teams can try, but we're going to match.

Would be interesting to see if someone "Vanek"s him, though.

05-24-2012, 09:18 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Part of me wants to get him in a short term bridge contract (2-3 years, 4 million). But then another part of me wonders if locking him up long term now (say 5 years 5 mil) will be cheaper in the long run. If in 2 years Benn is a 70-80 point player, he'll demand a lot more.

Either way I imagine I'll be happy with the contract as long as it gets done before training camp.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:59 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Either way I imagine I'll be happy with the contract as long as it gets done before training camp.
That going to be very tough. Bob McKenzie around the trade deadline started talking about the top RFAs this summer, and Jamie Benn was obviously included. He mentioned that the teams involved are likely going to hold out for a new CBA where the bridge contract for these players might actually be addressed.

Last week, Gaglardi mentions the same thing in his interview when pressed about Jamie Benn's contract. They'll do what they have to, but he does seem interested in seeing if the new CBA will impose some limits on the 1st-post ELC contract.

Dallas and Benn's camp are likely going to need to have the majority of the contract worked out ... or even two versions depending on how CBA negotiations go ... to get it done before camp since the CBA will likely push the into August or even September.

The last report I saw about the NHL and NHLPA getting in a room together still had them not meeting until July.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

This is getting annoying, but the theory that the organization wants Benn back on the Wing gets even more support. From Mark:

Quote:
Stars coach Glen Gulutzan was on CKRM radio with Rod Pedersen today. Thinks Stars need to add a center. Listen here: http://******/bhLaU
Here's the link:

http://soundcloud.com/ridervoice/spo.../sports-cage-2

The fact Gulutzan thinks they need another Center is curious. Unless they're 100% sure they have a taker for Riberio by the deadline, why would they be looking for a 3rd (assumed) top 6 Center? Unless they mean to bring Benn back to the wing.

If its true, I'm getting really tired of the back and forth this organization is having with his position.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:23 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Just listened to the Interview:

"We need a guy who can come in here and win faceoffs... We picked up Fiddler who helped us out a lot this year.. We've got a top guy in Mike Riberio. We played Jamie Benn.. who had a great season at Center.

"A Center with good caliber here can help out the Morrow's and Eriksson's and Benn's on the team, and take some pressure off other guys."

Benn lumped in with other Wingers. Benn talked about as being "used as a Center," not as a Center. Sure sounds like Gulutzan doesn't see Benn's future as a Center.

So god damn annoying.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:28 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Did Gulutzan like, miss a memo in the front office or something? Seems like what he says and does often contradicts GMJN.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:39 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Idk, Niewy came out and said after the end of the season that Benn's future could be at Wing again. That gave rise to this whole discussion/debate/theory again.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Idk, Niewy came out and said after the end of the season that Benn's future could be at Wing again. That gave rise to this whole discussion/debate/theory again.
He's a center. I don't get how hard that is to understand. Unless we somehow acquire two of Giroux/Spezza/Malkin/great centers, he's not going back to wing.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:03 PM
Sports
bedroom eyes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
He's a center. I don't get how hard that is to understand. Unless we somehow acquire two of Giroux/Spezza/Malkin/great centers, he's not going back to wing.
You'd better give Joe a ring then.
He sounds unsure.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Haha. I remember when I was told Benn was a center FOR LIFE! Negative. He's a natural winger. The hockey gods have spoken. Boom.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:21 PM
txomisc

maybe the organization feels freeing him from the center of the ice and getting him someone who can get him the puck is a better use of his talents.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Who wants to start making "Welcome to Dallas, Ollie!" avatars?

Cannot wait

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:30 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
This is getting annoying, but the theory that the organization wants Benn back on the Wing gets even more support. From Mark:

Here's the link:

http://soundcloud.com/ridervoice/spo.../sports-cage-2

The fact Gulutzan thinks they need another Center is curious. Unless they're 100% sure they have a taker for Riberio by the deadline, why would they be looking for a 3rd (assumed) top 6 Center? Unless they mean to bring Benn back to the wing.

If its true, I'm getting really tired of the back and forth this organization is having with his position.
He gave himself a "B" for his performance this season.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
He gave himself a "B" for his performance this season.
Gully or Benn said that about them self?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Not sure why it's so difficult for NHL employed personnel to see what's pretty obvious to most of us. Benn is most effective when he has the puck more. Coming up he was a guy who apparently played well off of other puck carriers and got to open spaces to shoot but he is a (dare I say) elite puckhandler in the NHL. His size and reach combined with his strength on the puck make him more suited to a center's role IMO.

I'm fine with him being a Zetterberg tweener type but it should be clear that if he gets moved from center to the wing that it's because the best option for a talented linemate that could be found is a less adaptive player who is "only" a center, like Brad Richards, Modano, etc.