HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hit of the Year in the Canucks/Kings game...

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2006, 12:24 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Here is a link to the Brown hit on Cooke. Listen closely to the background audio as Cooke is down to hear somebody from the Kings bench (i.e. Avery) asking Cooke how his head is, .

http://70.249.99.7/temp/brown.mpg
USername and password?

Old
03-30-2006, 02:08 AM
ShyCheetah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19
Watch the replay in slow motion. His front foot is on the ice till after the impact. Kind of hard to tally leave your feet before a hit when one of your skates is still touching the ice. As far as the ruutu hit it was bad. Dempsey had no idea it was coming. Thats why there was the massive wipe out, when someone hits you from an angle where you have no idea its coming thats what happens.

The letter of the law I agree that neither hit was illegal, I'm not disputing that. Wether Brown still had one foot on the ice as he drove upward or not dosn't dispute the fact that he did leave his feet and that he was head hunting. Ruutu's hit wasn't that bad other than how Dempsy hit the ice/boards. You're right he didn't see the hit so he was probably off balance and not expecting it. But it still wasn't a dirty hit as some on hear would have you believe. Shy.

Old
03-30-2006, 03:06 AM
MS

150 replies and no mention of the fact that Cooke didn't touch the puck.

The puck went by him by the goal-line, and it appears he didn't touch it (he claims in the Vancouver Province today that indeed he didn't). Even if he did touch the puck, he takes about another 6-8 strides before Brown plasters him. Way beyond what qualifies as fair game.

Cooke was clearly not eligible to be hit, therefore the hit was dirty and should have been an interference penalty at the very least. Charging as well based on the fact that he left his feet. Agreed it wasn't an elbow, but that doesn't really matter.

Old
03-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS

The puck went by him by the goal-line, and it appears he didn't touch it (he claims in the Vancouver Province today that indeed he didn't). Even if he did touch the puck, he takes about another 6-8 strides before Brown plasters him. Way beyond what qualifies as fair game.

Cooke was clearly not eligible to be hit, therefore the hit was dirty and should have been an interference penalty at the very least. Charging as well based on the fact that he left his feet. Agreed it wasn't an elbow, but that doesn't really matter.
From the slow motion replays on OLN, both Cooke and Brown are after the loose puck, Cooke sees Brown coming in full speed and tries to line him up, Brown thinks the same way and they both collide. Brown also makes contact with the puck with the blade of his stick right before he runs into Cooke.

There is a reason why a penalty wasn't called on the play. And some of you homers should quit crying. Ruutu and Cooke crush players all the time and earn your praises for similar hits. Shut your pieholes!

Old
03-30-2006, 08:36 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah
The letter of the law I agree that neither hit was illegal, I'm not disputing that. Wether Brown still had one foot on the ice as he drove upward or not dosn't dispute the fact that he did leave his feet and that he was head hunting. Ruutu's hit wasn't that bad other than how Dempsy hit the ice/boards. You're right he didn't see the hit so he was probably off balance and not expecting it. But it still wasn't a dirty hit as some on hear would have you believe. Shy.
Does not dispute the fact he left his feet and was head hunting? The impact caused his feet to leave the ice as in 90% of hits. Does that mean in 90% of hits peope are head hunting? When you put your body into a hit 9 times out of 10 your feet leave the ice. As far as Ruutus hits goes Dempsey was not off balance. He had clearly gotten rid of the puck 2 or 3 seconds before he gets hits from behind at an angle. How is that not a dirty hit? Did Ruutu believe that Dempsey wasnt going to go head first into the boards? Anytime you hit a player from behind and he goes head first into the boards and gets injured is a dirty play.

Old
03-30-2006, 08:40 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS

There have been a few replies where it was mentioned cooke didnt have the puck. What matters is a second before the hit occurs Brown touches the puck and pushes it by Cooke. After Brown touches the puck theres no way Cooke had time to take 6-8 strides. The fact is , is that both players were going for the puck one of them touched it, one of them got hit and got hit hard. Funny thing how no referee made a call on the play. No interference becuase it wasnt interference. And no charging since his feet didnt leave the ice till AFTER contact was made.

Old
03-30-2006, 12:36 PM
ShyCheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19
Does not dispute the fact he left his feet and was head hunting? The impact caused his feet to leave the ice as in 90% of hits. Does that mean in 90% of hits peope are head hunting? When you put your body into a hit 9 times out of 10 your feet leave the ice. As far as Ruutus hits goes Dempsey was not off balance. He had clearly gotten rid of the puck 2 or 3 seconds before he gets hits from behind at an angle. How is that not a dirty hit? Did Ruutu believe that Dempsey wasnt going to go head first into the boards? Anytime you hit a player from behind and he goes head first into the boards and gets injured is a dirty play.
Yeah...I'm saying that 90% of hits are head hunting....that's exactly what I'm saying...don't be rediculous. If I'm about to collide with a guy and we bounce off each other air born its a good hit solid hit and I'd probably laugh about it over a beer after the game. If I'm about to collide with a guy and I raise the level of my shoulder to contact his face then I'm head hunting. Their's a difference. I actually didn't think it was that bad (dirty) of a hit until way after the game when I saw the TSN replay where it clearly showed that Brown zero'd in on Cooke's face and that he indeed left his feet. Durring the game the Sportnet replays didn't show the whole storey.

I've replayed the Ruutu hit and I still don't see the 'hit from behind', the 'late hit', the 'hit into the boards'. I actually had to go back and rewatch the game because I didn't even know what Ruutu hit everyone was complaining about until I rememberd the hit when the dude landed on his neck without a lid. I'm not trying to defend how Ruutu plays, I know his job description and what keeps him in the league. But if that hit is made by anyone else then this isn't even a discussion.

Shy.

Closed Thread