HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 11:34 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sport...0401--nba.html

I'm officially on the Jeremy Lamb train. I don't trust Marshall or Lillard enough to take them at 8th overall. Take Lamb, move Demar to SF (where he excelled for the most part) and find a way to grab Goran Dragic out of Houston.

In his draft year, Granger refused to even work out for the Raptors. That's what he thinks of Canada. I don't want guys like that near this team.
Not a bad idea for Derozan. The only thing I'm worried about is his defense against other bigger 3's in the league.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Not a bad idea for Derozan. The only thing I'm worried about is his defense against other bigger 3's in the league.
That's a big problem!

No way DeRozan moves to 3.

05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
That's a big problem!

No way DeRozan moves to 3.
He doesn't have a good enough mid-range or outside shot for the 2 to be a legit scoring option, but he has the ability to drive.

Plus I think with some guidance from Casey, Demar could adjust well in 3 with James Johnson coming in to help out on tougher defensive assignments.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
He doesn't have a good enough mid-range or outside shot for the 2 to be a legit scoring option, but he has the ability to drive.

Plus I think with some guidance from Casey, Demar could adjust well in 3 with James Johnson coming in to help out on tougher defensive assignments.
Maybe but I'm skeptical that he doesn't have the size or speed to guard the bigger SF in the NBA.

I think Johnson is a better fit at SF because he can at least guard.

Raptors have always lacked a true SF. We need that stopper.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

how does the future look for this club, i know we are rebuilding and what not, and is there any good prospect or player we might be able to pick up with the 8th overall?

05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
how does the future look for this club, i know we are rebuilding and what not, and is there any good prospect or player we might be able to pick up with the 8th overall?
The rebuild looks like it might come to an end this summer, Casey was on TSN Radio and said next year the expectation is a playoff spot and that they'll be going after veterans.

So that means the rebuild got us Demar/Ed Davis/Val/8th pick via the draft. Definitely not OKC quality rebuild.

The east is weak so I wouldn't be shocked if we made it as a lower seed (and get crushed by Miami in 4 games). It seems this team is dangerously close to becoming an Atlanta Hawks type team, good solid talent but not a real contender.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
The rebuild looks like it might come to an end this summer, Casey was on TSN Radio and said next year the expectation is a playoff spot and that they'll be going after veterans.

So that means the rebuild got us Demar/Ed Davis/Val/8th pick via the draft. Definitely not OKC quality rebuild.

The east is weak so I wouldn't be shocked if we made it as a lower seed (and get crushed by Miami in 4 games). It seems this team is dangerously close to becoming an Atlanta Hawks type team, good solid talent but not a real contender.
thanks a lot for the input man, appreciate it. is there a possibility we can move up on the draft day?

Old
05-31-2012, 12:50 PM
hdtrax

Would love to see the Raptors packaged their 2 2nds (their own and Indianas) to move up into the late 1st if Andrew Nicholson is available.

Local kid (Mississauga born - went to St. Francis Xavier) who plays a tough game that Casey would love. Would also be a marketing dream and allow us to move Ed Davis/Amir Johnson for an upgrade at PG. Getting Goran Dragic would be perfect.

8th overall - Jeremy Lamb
26th overall - Andrew Nicholson

Would be a very successful draft and set this franchise up well for the future.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Would love to see the Raptors packaged their 2 2nds (their own and Indianas) to move up into the late 1st if Andrew Nicholson is available.

Local kid (Mississauga born - went to St. Francis Xavier) who plays a tough game that Casey would love. Would also be a marketing dream and allow us to move Ed Davis/Amir Johnson for an upgrade at PG. Getting Goran Dragic would be perfect.

8th overall - Jeremy Lamb
26th overall - Andrew Nicholson

Would be a very successful draft and set this franchise up well for the future.
Or keep the 2nds and take Kris Joseph out of Syracuse. Montreal kid who was a star for Syracuse, projected 2nd rounder and SF, a position of need too. I think he's going so low because he's already a senior. If he performed like he did as a freshman, he would be a lottery pick.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Lebanese Leaf

SI mock draft:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a0

Old
05-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Can Kaman play PF?

He has one more year on his contract left, he's produced decently well in the past, but more importantly, he can rebound well. He's also a good defender from what I recall.

He's a hefty salary, but with only one year remaining it shouldn't cost too much for us to grab him. Considering that New Orleans will get Davis, likely pushing Okefor back to C, and Landry backing up Davis, Kaman might be available cheap.

It's not ideal, and he's definitely not a Josh Smith, but he might be a good option for us a rebounding presence.

05-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Can Kaman play PF?

He has one more year on his contract left, he's produced decently well in the past, but more importantly, he can rebound well. He's also a good defender from what I recall.

He's a hefty salary, but with only one year remaining it shouldn't cost too much for us to grab him. Considering that New Orleans will get Davis, likely pushing Okefor back to C, and Landry backing up Davis, Kaman might be available cheap.

It's not ideal, and he's definitely not a Josh Smith, but he might be a good option for us a rebounding presence.
Rebounding won't be an issue with Valanciunas, Amir, James Johnson getting regular minutes. And we already have a log jam at PF with Bargnani (Val will push him to PF), Amir, Ed Davis. Ed Davis needs minutes, and if he's not going to get them here then we shouldn't waste his talents, we should use him maybe in a package to move up in the draft. Still lots of potential with him.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:10 PM
ryno23

Colangelo should deal with Charlotte

Charlotte

Toronto

Ed Davis

Charlotte needs more help than just the #2 pick and they get a PF with some talent and still has a shot at more quality at #8.

Raptors get small forwards who will fit into Casey mold of good defender and leadership. It also clears a log jam at the PF position

Old
05-31-2012, 04:36 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post

Charlotte

Toronto

Ed Davis

Charlotte needs more help than just the #2 pick and they get a PF with some talent and still has a shot at more quality at #8.

Raptors get small forwards who will fit into Casey mold of good defender and leadership. It also clears a log jam at the PF position
Charlotte needs help all around the board. Honestly, I'd add in one of our 2nds just to sell them more on the deal.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:41 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Charlotte is apparently offering buy one/get one season tickets. I **** you not, if you buy 2012-13 season tickets, they'll give you 13-14 for free.

C'mon, just move the team to Seattle already. Or Vancouver (though that's far less likely.)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

Charlotte is apparently offering buy one/get one season tickets. I **** you not, if you buy 2012-13 season tickets, they'll give you 13-14 for free.

C'mon, just move the team to Seattle already. Or Vancouver (though that's far less likely.)
I'm going to move there just for that..

Old
05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post

Charlotte

Toronto

Ed Davis

why would Charlotte do that trade? Absoluetly a huge steal for the Raps. Ed Davis doesn't have that much values.

Oh and this isn't the NHL, 2nd rounders in the nba are a lot less valuable. Adding one or two of them won't entice Charlotte.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:46 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

There have been people here talking about Goran Dragic. Well, the Rockets are apparently very intent on keeping Dragic on their roster, but what that does is likely spells the end of Kyle Lowry in Houston, and according to TSN and the Toronto Sun, the Raptors might be very interested in Lowry.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/courtside/gene...ick-the-tires/

I actually think that Lowry would suit this team better than Dragic.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Eytinge

I'd take either of them. Lowry would fit very nicely as our point guard of the future. He's a bit small but has a lot of tools and is a leader out on the court. Great PER as well.

Please, just don't go after Lin.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Lowry would be a good addition. I wonder what Houston would want? The article says 8th overall, but I'm not sure we'd be interested in that.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Kb21

plz no demar @ sf, he will get destroyed by other SF as they have either size or length. image demar guarding pierce or lebron..

Old
06-01-2012, 12:41 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Lowry would be a good addition. I wonder what Houston would want? The article says 8th overall, but I'm not sure we'd be interested in that.
If the Raptors slide into help facilitate salaries as part of a Houston trade with, say, LA for Gasol (who they already wanted last year), they could probably significantly lower the price the team would pay for Lowry. Instead of the 8th they could give up a cheap roster player and agree to take a poisonous contract. The Raps have even more $$$ to play with anyway thanks to a trade exception they got from the Barbosa trade.

Recall that at the start of the year, Houston was willing to ship out Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic, and a 1st in order to get Gasol from the Lakers during that ill-fated Chris Paul 3-way trade.

So based on that, and just as a "for instance", I used ESPN's trade machine (click to go to the TM page) to do this:

To Toronto:
Kyle Lowry
Kevin Martin

To Houston:
Pau Gasol

To Los Angeles:
Jose Calderon
Luis Scola

There could be some pick movement in there somewhere. Give a 1st to Houston that's not the 8th this year.

Houston gets Gasol, who they wanted to begin with. the Lakers get themselves a real PG in lieu of missing out on Paul last year and they get Scola to essentially replace Gasol at a somewhat minimal downgrade. Both players are older, but it's a last gasp attempt to win a title with Kobe before they can torch the veteran core of the team and try to rebuild, possibly around Bynum if they don't deal him in a secondary trade. The Raptors get their PG of the now and future in Lowry, and take the bigger contract of Kevin Martin, who can provide some offensive punch and whose defensive deficiencies can be masked in Casey's system.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:44 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
plz no demar @ sf, he will get destroyed by other SF as they have either size or length. image demar guarding pierce or lebron..
whether he guards starting SFs or starting SGs, it's all the same issue with him. If he can put 10-15 pounds of muscle on without sacrificing too much athleticism it would help a bit, and I'm sure that Casey could mask some of the issues with his D. and if worse came to worse, you could put James Johnson in whenever the Raptors are up against the tougher SFs in the league.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

I haven't really seen Lowry play too much, but I used to watch the Suns a lot when they were good, and Dragic is for real.

I would love to get him.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:48 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
If the Raptors slide into help facilitate salaries as part of a Houston trade with, say, LA for Gasol (who they already wanted last year), they could probably significantly lower the price the team would pay for Lowry. Instead of the 8th they could give up a cheap roster player and agree to take a poisonous contract. The Raps have even more $$$ to play with anyway thanks to a trade exception they got from the Barbosa trade.

Recall that at the start of the year, Houston was willing to ship out Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic, and a 1st in order to get Gasol from the Lakers during that ill-fated Chris Paul 3-way trade.

So based on that, and just as a "for instance", I used ESPN's trade machine (click to go to the TM page) to do this:

To Toronto:
Kyle Lowry
Kevin Martin

To Houston:
Pau Gasol

To Los Angeles:
Jose Calderon
Luis Scola

There could be some pick movement in there somewhere. Give a 1st to Houston that's not the 8th this year.

Houston gets Gasol, who they wanted to begin with. the Lakers get themselves a real PG in lieu of missing out on Paul last year and they get Scola to essentially replace Gasol at a somewhat minimal downgrade. Both players are older, but it's a last gasp attempt to win a title with Kobe before they can torch the veteran core of the team and try to rebuild, possibly around Bynum if they don't deal him in a secondary trade. The Raptors get their PG of the now and future in Lowry, and take the bigger contract of Kevin Martin, who can provide some offensive punch and whose defensive deficiencies can be masked in Casey's system.

If we get Kevin Martin, do we still even need Derozan? Kevin Martin will take over the teams scoring and turn this team around pretty quickly. I'd say that deal would be a steal for the Raptors.

Closed Thread