HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part X

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

vCash: 500
List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part X

Approching 1000 posts.. Continue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Don't rule Roy out just yet people!

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/341177.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
That's the problem...

Could Therrien/Crawford possibly come on as Assistant to Roy, and would they want to? Or even Groulx.

If you hire Roy like that, there is credibility.

If you hire Roy and let him bring in Jean-Guy Talbot as his Assistant.. not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfever View Post
Who cares if he's a rookie coach? He needs to surround himself with experienced assistants. Robinson,Therrien,Carbo would be pretty good. Just to calm him down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I don't think its THAT big of an issue... despite being a rookie GM Bergevin has two very experienced guys surrounding him, I think as long as Roy has at least one assistant coach with a good amount of NHL experience coaching it wouldn't be that big of an issue. Roy as head coach with Larry Robinson as his assistant/defense coach would be ideal.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:55 AM
BobbyFischer*

If Roy's team won their respective championship this year, naming Roy as coach would be a much easier decision.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Quote:
If Roy's team won their respective championship this year, naming Roy as coach would be a much easier decision.
It's not so much Roy that I would be worried about but more so how he surrounds himself.

Rookie coach and 2 veteran assistant coach would be more of a good fit.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:16 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
It's not so much Roy that I would be worried about but more so how he surrounds himself.

Rookie coach and 2 veteran assistant coach would be more of a good fit.
Yes of course, I have recommended this before as well. It only makes sense.

Right now, I am definitely on the Roy for coach bandwagon. It just feels 'right' especially given the candidates left.

Last edited by BobbyFischer*: 06-01-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old
06-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Yes of course, I have recommended this before as well. It only makes sense.

Right now, I am definitely on the Roy for coach bandwagon. It just feels 'right' especially given the candidates left.
I'd agree with that. Between him and Crawford/Therrien, I would much prefer seeing Roy but well surrounded with experienced assistant-coaches. Maybe Bergevin could reserve the right to select one of his assistants? I dunno.

There is some risks in going with Roy, but I really like the new energy brought in by the new management team, and it would feel like a let down to have one of these old coaches come in (I wouldn't be against any old coach, if it was someone like Babcock I'd be all for it, but not for Therrien or Crawford and with the French language restriction it's hard to imagine they'll fine many others...).

Anyway, will be interesting to see when it happens! No matter the pick though I won't blast the new management for it just yet, I think they deserve benefit of the doubt still, and I don't expect us to really win anything next year just yet (I think we'll become competitive again once Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis can start contributing in 1-2 years) so I'm not that worried about the coach. I just hope that they wouldn't sign Therrien or Crawford to a 3-4 years contract...

Old
06-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Habruti!

I would rather they go with a rookie coach then Michel Therrien or Marc Crawford. Yes Patrick Roy is a candidate but I would consider Groulx, Cooper, Gallant and Martin Raymond. I do not really care which language they speak as long as we get someone competent...

Old
06-01-2012, 08:58 AM
FinnHab

Groulx is intresting candidate, and of course Roy. I trust Bergy&co that they find good coach for our Habs

Old
06-01-2012, 09:10 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
Groulx is intresting candidate, and of course Roy. I trust Bergy&co that they find good coach for our Habs
*BobbyFischer likes this post*

Old
06-01-2012, 09:12 AM
onice

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
I would rather they go with a rookie coach then Michel Therrien or Marc Crawford. Yes Patrick Roy is a candidate but I would consider Groulx, Cooper, Gallant and Martin Raymond. I do not really care which language they speak as long as we get someone competent...
Forget it! Forget it! Forget it! The Habs will never hire a unilingual anglophone. Don Cherry's wet dream will never happen. Just park that wish next to your dream of playing right wing for the Habs.

Go listen to the comments on last night's l'antichambre. All four: Rejean Tremblay, Dandenault, Bergeron & Langdeau agreed that Crawford would not be chosen as the next coach. Not because he's a lousy coach. They all agreed he was as good as Therrein. No! They all agreed the reason he would not be chosen is because he's an anglophone who speaks some French and as Rejean Tremblay explained it Serge Savard said the next coach will be a Francophone.

Now I don't remember Savard saying the next coach had to be a Francophone. I remember him saying he had to speak French. Bergevin said the next coach had to speak French.....and English. He never mentioned he had to be a Francophone.

So when 4 guys like those four are stating on "national" TV that the next coach has to be Francophone (that's code for being French) do you really think Bergevin will pick a unilingual coach?

Bergevin will have trouble convincing the moderates like Bergeron & Dandenault to accept an anglo who speaks French so forget about the Gallants or Coopers of the world who can't even say good day in French.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Groulx speculation:

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/plante/20...ou-est-benoit/

Old
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Travis Moen

Please not Michel Therrien

Old
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Forget it! Forget it! Forget it! The Habs will never hire a unilingual anglophone. Don Cherry's wet dream will never happen. Just park that wish next to your dream of playing right wing for the Habs.

Go listen to the comments on last night's l'antichambre. All four: Rejean Tremblay, Dandenault, Bergeron & Langdeau agreed that Crawford would not be chosen as the next coach. Not because he's a lousy coach. They all agreed he was as good as Therrein. No! They all agreed the reason he would not be chosen is because he's an anglophone who speaks some French and as Rejean Tremblay explained it Serge Savard said the next coach will be a Francophone.

Now I don't remember Savard saying the next coach had to be a Francophone. I remember him saying he had to speak French. Bergevin said the next coach had to speak French.....and English. He never mentioned he had to be a Francophone.

So when 4 guys like those four are stating on "national" TV that the next coach has to be Francophone (that's code for being French) do you really think Bergevin will pick a unilingual coach?

Bergevin will have trouble convincing the moderates like Bergeron & Dandenault to accept an anglo who speaks French so forget about the Gallants or Coopers of the world who can't even say good day in French.
Bergeron is a moderate?

Old
06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
onice

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Bergeron is a moderate?
Compared to the yahoos that stood in front of the Bell Center in the middle of winter protesting Cunneyworth's selection? Yeah, he's a moderate.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Not sure what the point of this article is...

Groulx is flat out telling him where he is and what he is doing.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Gaston Gingras

Patrick! Patrick! Patrick! Patrick! Patrick!

Please Bergevin he's the only one I want!!

Old
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post

Let's go forward, not backwards.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:32 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Very interesting that the source says MB was not impressed with the coaching candidates with NHL experience. This explains why MB hasn't rushed to name anyone including Hartley. As I suspected, MB will probably name someone out of left field. And I include Roy as being a pick out left field because his name has been completely absent from the rumour mill these past few weeks.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
RC51

I have been thinking the same thing for a month at least.
The most important player the habs must draft is that big 1st line center, missing for at least 10 years.
If Grigorenko is the player the Habs want, then the most important coach for Grigorenko is ROY.
If they have had a great relationship for the last two years, it's ROY that will get the best out of Grigorenko for the Habs.
Imagine what a well motivated Grigorenko what do for the Habs. WOW.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Habruti!

Quote:

I think an English coach with french assistants would go just fine as long as its a guy from here. I think Bergevin is still in this honey moon where he could do just about anything and it would go through fine.

Old
Joe Cole

Quote:

And there you go.

The day people realize that the Habs are not a hockey team, but a reality show for small minded Quebecers, the less comments like this are infuriating. No one cares about hockey, they only care about "being respected" and who hangs out with who after the practices. The actual game on the ice is a sideshow.

Sometimes I wonder if the panelists are really xenophobes, or are they saying that the typical fan is a xenophobe, and must be respected....

Old
hogtownhabsfan

Roy would definitely be the most exciting hire...

Old
06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post

Quote:

Let's go forward, not backwards.

*BobbyFischer and chewBACHa likes this post*

Old
06-01-2012, 09:37 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Roy would definitely be the most exciting hire...
That's an understatement...imagine the pressers he would give in English and French...he would be our Torts...

Old
06-01-2012, 09:37 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I have been thinking the same thing for a month at least.
The most important player the habs must draft is that big 1st line center, missing for at least 10 years.
If Grigorenko is the player the Habs want, then the most important coach for Grigorenko is ROY.
If they have had a great relationship for the last two years, it's ROY that will get the best out of Grigorenko for the Habs.
Imagine what a well motivated Grigorenko what do for the Habs. WOW.
Yeah I've been thinking about that scenario as well..

IF Roy is named coach, and Bergy can't 100% decide on let's say if it's between Gally/Grigs, and Roy pleads his case for the habs to draft Grigs saying he knows he will be something special, that might be enough to push him over the top for the habs to pick him.

Now, then again... maybe not, at all, BUT, I know Bergy will definitely be all ears and listen what Roy has to say about Grigs, no doubt about it.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:40 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
And there you go.

The day people realize that the Habs are not a hockey team, but a reality show for small minded Quebecers, the less comments like this are infuriating. No one cares about hockey, they only care about "being respected" and who hangs out with who after the practices. The actual game on the ice is a sideshow.

Sometimes I wonder if the panelists are really xenophobes, or are they saying that the typical fan is a xenophobe, and must be respected....
And I understand how it may seem like that but you're completely disregarding the cultural and historical significance of the Canadiens within the fabric of Quebec culture. And given the drama surrounding the Cunneyworth hiring, how you can possibly still think hiring an anglophone coach is a good idea for the team as a whole? It'll create an unnecessary side show. Moreover, with the possible return of the Nordiques, the Canadiens will be in a battle for the hearts and minds of Quebecers and it'll definitely help keep some fans if Quebecers can understand the words coming out of the coaches mouth. It's not xenophobia, it's a business decision more than anything else.

Closed Thread