Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Rheged
JMFT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Girgensons doesn't seem to get a lot of love around here yet he is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I think in a few years he will be a terrific player in the NHL. One with all the intangibles a team could ever ask for, not to mention the loads of skill he already possesses to go along with his brute strength. I'm betting several teams will be regretting the decision to pass on this kid.

At #39 I wouldn't mind Kerdiles (doubt he's still available), Maidens, or Nieves.
I agree about Girgensons, I would not be at all upset if he ended up being our pick, I think there's a lot more offensive upside with him than with say Gaunce who may bring the same level of two-way play. If they go with a forward considering who will likely be available I'd definitely be happy with Faksa/Teravainen/Girgensons.

Also would be quite pleased with any of those three in the second round.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Zip15

vCash: 450
Hi Jets fans, Sabres fan coming to ask a question. Let's assume the top-8 breaks like this, in some order:

Yakupov
Murray
Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Grigorenko
Dumba
Rielly
Teravainen

If Buffalo offered you #12 + #42 (and more likely it'll be #41 once the Devils forfeit their 1st rounder) for #9, and assured you that we were taking Faksa with that pick, would you guys be at all interested? Even if Tampa and Washington then picked two of Trouba, Reinhart, and Ceci, you guys would still have the other guy and an additional early- to mid-2nd rounder. (I think Washington is going forward, personally--Gaunce or Girgensons.)

Old
05-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
New McKeen's mock has us taking Hampus Lindholm which seems a little odd, don't think I've seen him ranked/placed top-10 anywhere prior to this.

Link.
McKeens has nice write ups, but is poor in their ranking of players IMO.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Hi Jets fans, Sabres fan coming to ask a question. Let's assume the top-8 breaks like this, in some order:

Yakupov
Murray
Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Grigorenko
Dumba
Rielly
Teravainen

If Buffalo offered you #12 + #42 (and more likely it'll be #41 once the Devils forfeit their 1st rounder) for #9, and assured you that we were taking Faksa with that pick, would you guys be at all interested? Even if Tampa and Washington then picked two of Trouba, Reinhart, and Ceci, you guys would still have the other guy and an additional early- to mid-2nd rounder. (I think Washington is going forward, personally--Gaunce or Girgensons.)
I would not do that. If Buffalo came to me (if I was the GM), and I wasn't in love with the guy at 9, and I thought a guy I did love would be there at 12, I would counter offer:

9th + 39th (38th) for 12th and 21st.

Sure the gap between 38 and 21 is larger, but to many there is a very real gap in talent in the top 8 or 9.

Does Buffalo make that deal?

Old
05-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I would not do that. If Buffalo came to me (if I was the GM), and I wasn't in love with the guy at 9, and I thought a guy I did love would be there at 12, I would counter offer:

9th + 39th (38th) for 12th and 21st.

Sure the gap between 38 and 21 is larger, but to many there is a very real gap in talent in the top 8 or 9.

Does Buffalo make that deal?
I don't think we do. My sense is that if Buffalo doesn't pick twice in the 1st round it's because we traded one of the picks in a deal for a roster player, or we traded up into that 6th-7th range. If that's the asking price for #9, I'd rather they just pick Girgensons or Gaunce at #12, and then use #21 and one of the 2nd rounders (#41 and #43 once the Devs forfeit their 1st) to get into that 15-17 range and either pick the one of Gaunce or Girgensons that we didn't select, if he's still on the board, or assure themselves of getting someone like Collberg or Hertl.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Huffer

Quote:
I don't think we do. My sense is that if Buffalo doesn't pick twice in the 1st round it's because we traded one of the picks in a deal for a roster player, or we traded up into that 6th-7th range. If that's the asking price for #9, I'd rather they just pick Girgensons or Gaunce at #12, and then use #21 and one of the 2nd rounders (#41 and #43 once the Devs forfeit their 1st) to get into that 15-17 range and either pick the one of Gaunce or Girgensons that we didn't select, if he's still on the board, or assure themselves of getting someone like Collberg or Hertl.
That's cool. It really comes down to the guy at 9, and how much both team's like him.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

Yakupov
Murray
Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Grigorenko
Dumba
Rielly
Teravainen

I agree with huff here, i don't think i'd do it.

if i'm not getting faksa, reinhart, or trouba, then i want another pick before our current second rounder.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 0
Is the MTS Centre being opened to view the draft again this year? If not, are there any big draft day parties being held in Winnipeg?

Old
05-29-2012, 04:44 PM
trebendan

Draft party won't be at the MTS Centre because the Bryan Adams concert is on that night.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I agree with huff here, i don't think i'd do it.

if i'm not getting faksa, reinhart, or trouba, then i want another pick before our current second rounder.
I think that's the calculus: Do you believe that one of Trouba or Reinhart--or Ceci, depending on who your GM likes--will still be on the board if you move back three spots (knowing full well who Buffalo would be selecting)? If so--and I assume your GM would do his due diligence on what those other teams' needs are, especially two division rivals like the Lightning and Caps--why not pull the trigger, get a guy you like, and add a valuable pick in the process. Does the calculus change if, for instance, Tampa trades their pick for someone like Jon Bernier?

We're kind of shooting at a moving target at this point, and I understand why you guys are hesitant. I wouldn't be a bit surprised, though, if Regier and Cheveldayoff are chatting on the floor early in the 1st round.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Bob E

Quote:
I think that's the calculus: Do you believe that one of Trouba or Reinhart--or Ceci, depending on who your GM likes--will still be on the board if you move back three spots (knowing full well who Buffalo would be selecting)? If so--and I assume your GM would do his due diligence on what those other teams' needs are, especially two division rivals like the Lightning and Caps--why not pull the trigger, get a guy you like, and add a valuable pick in the process. Does the calculus change if, for instance, Tampa trades their pick for someone like Jon Bernier?

We're kind of shooting at a moving target at this point, and I understand why you guys are hesitant. I wouldn't be a bit surprised, though, if Regier and Cheveldayoff are chatting on the floor early in the 1st round.
Our prospect cupboard is pretty bare. If TNSE values a few guys the same - 9 thru to 12, then getting another pick in 1st might improve the number without sacrificing too much on quality.
But if I guy like Trouba or even Galchenyuk falls to 9, I think you grab him.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:12 PM
KingSalamon

The draft is always interesting... with trades and surprise picks every year, you never know what you'll end up with. Chevy and company surprised us last year with the number one pick so who's to say that it won't happen again?

It will be fun seeing who gets selected... as we'll likely get to see at least one game from our first pick in September. (Well if there is a pre-season but let's not go there)

Old
05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Draft party won't be at the MTS Centre because the Bryan Adams concert is on that night.
IIRC there were about 5,000 there for last year's draft - and just about everyone I ran into at MTSC on draft day were there to scout seats in advance of the seat selection process. They were giving away tickets on the afternoon of the event (I believe they were $5 originally). I just don't know how many people would show up to watch us pick #9 this June...

Old
05-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
IIRC there were about 5,000 there for last year's draft - and just about everyone I ran into at MTSC on draft day were there to scout seats in advance of the seat selection process. They were giving away tickets on the afternoon of the event (I believe they were $5 originally). I just don't know how many people would show up to watch us pick #9 this June...
agreed, i can't see them having a draft party at the mtsc again, barrin extrenuating circumstances (the draft IS at the mtscenter, we're picking first and not because we played horribly[lockout lottery? grasping at straws here...])

Old
05-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Bob E

The more i see of Kopitar, Zajac, Zubris, etc in the playoffs, the more I'm convinced we need at least 1 more big center (to go along with Scheifele, in the future).

Considering we likely won't acquire one via free agency or trade, I'd love to see the Jets draft Faksa this draft. Having Scheifele and Faksa down the middle in the future could be fantastic.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:18 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
The more i see of Kopitar, Zajac, Zubris, etc in the playoffs, the more I'm convinced we need at least 1 more big center (to go along with Scheifele, in the future).

Considering we likely won't acquire one via free agency or trade, I'd love to see the Jets draft Faksa this draft. Having Scheifele and Faksa down the middle in the future could be fantastic.
Yea I would love that pick

Old
05-30-2012, 11:41 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:

I wouldn't mind Faksa. I would like a defenceman at 9 but if Faksa is there I'm just fine with him if the Jets take him. My ideal pick is Trouba but I don't think that he's there at that time. He seems made for a Minnesota pick - hometown kid that they can market. That said, they said the same about Nick Leddy and then they shipped him off to Chicago for the Barker trade.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:44 PM
HPsauce

I have a feeling the Jets will be picking Brendan Gaunce.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I have a feeling the Jets will be picking Brendan Gaunce.
I hope not. If they're picking a forward I hope it's one of Faksa, Girgensons or Teravainen.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I hope not. If they're picking a forward I hope it's one of Faksa, Girgensons or Teravainen.
I agree. Our scouts had better be sure that his offensive game will translate to the NHL (which is my concern with Faksa as well).

Especially since that means we would be leaving one of Faksa or Teravainen, as well as someone like Trouba, Reinhart, or Reilly on the board.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Bob E

Faksa seems like that competitive kid, with very good skill, that does anything to win.

Saw a video clip on his coach Spott saying they have to replace his pant shells all the time because he's always grinding it out along the boards, in the corners and then blocking shots, etc.

Feels he'll slot into that #2 center spot and stay there for a decade, adding size, skill and competitiveness. I'm good with that. Especially at #9, this year.
But if Trouba is still there at 9, he would be hard to pass up.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Jay Richardson ‏@Jay_Richardson
Proud to announce that i'll host the official @NHLJets draft party at Tavern Transcona June 22.Mark Stuart and @Bogogo_44 will be there
For the people wondering earlier.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Faksa seems like that competitive kid, with very good skill, that does anything to win.

Saw a video clip on his coach Spott saying they have to replace his pant shells all the time because he's always grinding it out along the boards, in the corners and then blocking shots, etc.

Feels he'll slot into that #2 center spot and stay there for a decade, adding size, skill and competitiveness. I'm good with that. Especially at #9, this year.
But if Trouba is still there at 9, he would be hard to pass up.
Faksa would be a solid choice and give us Scheif and Faska to build around up front....starting to rethink whether or not i want the jets to go after reinhart/trouba or faska!

Old
05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Faksa would be a solid choice and give us Scheif and Faska to build around up front....starting to rethink whether or not i want the jets to go after reinhart/trouba or faska!
I also like the opportunity Faksa brings for Pavelec to have a young Czech player around to support and mentor off the ice, etc. Might help Pavy mature and grow, as well. (Not that that's an issue - just a positive in his development).

Either of one of Trouba or Faksa works really well for me. Not sold on Reinhart or Maatta. Big, positional, puck movers - but that lack of sandpaper just bugs me about their game. I think we need to add size and sandpaper if we can.

If both Trouba (Ana or Minny) and Faksa (Carolina) are gone - I'm ok with moving out of #9 - for more picks. Hopefully, a top 14 and another 2nd (?) in 2012.

Would also like to see 2nds and/or 3rd (in 2013) packaged up for additional 1st in 2013. Seems like though its a deep draft in 2013, another 1st might get you another vg prospect.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Combine fitness testing day!

It's still early but there are a couple interesting results, mostly the players who were injured trying to bring their stock back up.

Quote:
Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy
Unofficially, Koekkoek did 30 pushups and 12 bench press reps, so the shoulder looks to be just fine.
Quote:
Mike Morreale ‏@mike_morreale
Moose Jaw Warriors def. Morgan Rielly just passed the Wingate test. Hardly breathing but a bit spent. #NHLCombine
Quote:
Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy
Galchenyuk's knee passed the Vertek jump with flying colors
Also

Quote:
Winnipeg Jets ‏@NHLJets
Projected fifth-overall pick Morgan Rielly, in the first group of bike tests. #NHLCombine #NHLJets
Team tipping their hand a little bit?

Closed Thread