Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Moving to Winnipeg

Old
06-01-2012, 09:01 AM
veeps

vCash: 500
Can't stress enough how much this helps. I think the one constant theme seems to be the Corydon/Osborne village areas which having done some research seems to be about a 10 minute drive to where I'd be working as per google maps. I think that is going to be where I focus on. Again, thank you all so much for your insights.

veeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:13 AM
pcanuck

st. james is nice, can't go wrong there - min from polo park (shopping mall) and half an hour by bus/15min by car to downtown - depends where you're working. One very good thing about Winterpeg is that you can get from one side of the city to the opposite side in 40 min taking 20 different ways. Bring your GPS tho - no numbered st./ ave - I do agree with one of the posts - finer parts of the city is wellington crescent... really nice for the price,

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Going to put a plug in for Wolseley, if you're looking for a quieter, more residential area. It's short walking distance from downtown and Osborne/Corydon, and there's a very cozy feel to it.

Not an abundance of condos there, although there are more and more popping up now.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Don't be a ******. Transcona is a vibrant community that is becoming a magnet for young families. There is even a mini condo boom targeting young single professionals. The older areas with streets lined with large graceful elm trees are gorgeous. I grew up in Transcona and if I ever moved back to Winnipeg, would definately consider moving there again.
I have lived in Transcona for a little over a year with my folks (ugh) and I'm currently looking for a house. Guess where I'm looking for one? Transcona. It's quiet, nice area with little to no crime. Has old and new areas and almost everyone has a dog.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Don't be a ******. Transcona is a vibrant community that is becoming a magnet for young families. There is even a mini condo boom targeting young single professionals. The older areas with streets lined with large graceful elm trees are gorgeous. I grew up in Transcona and if I ever moved back to Winnipeg, would definately consider moving there again.
Nice! I absolutely love Transcona lived here most of my life its an absolute Jem... Hi Neighbor this weekend that guy is just an ******* lol

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

So i got a little carried away with a defence of downtown and decided turn it into sort of a brief synopsis of the core/urban residential areas of winnipeg.

"Business Downtown"
: If your between main, osborn, assiniboine, and portage, Your fine, i don't know how long ago the "downtowns dangerous" people were in that area but i'me frequently down there (and late) and rarely have any problems save for in front of the vendor on main(winntoba or something like that? sketchy place, harmless drunks for the most part but alittle abrasive).

The Exchange district is the historic area, roughly running from north of portage, east of ellen, and south of james your fine as well (never been around china town late, so not sure if theres a drastic change in saftey in the two blocks from the kingshead) and it is by and large the most aesthetically pleasing section of the city with lots of cool loft condos (no idea on price), and good restaurants.

Westbroadway/Wolsely If your west of osborn and south of broadway...that's pretty good. students and hippies mostly in that area, but there is some "unsavorys" around due to the sherby and close proximity to the sketchy Westbroadway(though i've never heard of a reported incident south of broadway in recent memory, north of broadway is a different story), but it's a pretty neat community. Some parts are little rough, and the nice parts are more family oriented so probably not so much what the OP's after.

if your west of the exchange and north of portage....that's sketchy.

If your north of the exchange.....that's sketchy.

If your west of osborne and north of broadway...that's sketchy.

Other nearby good spots to live:

Osborne: By far the place with the most support on here and with good reason. A very vibrant urban community, lots of young people, lots of pubs and restraunts. Spent two years living in this area, it's a lot of a fun if your an urbanite who enjoys being out and about. For 250 000 believe it or not, you could actually by a decent sized two story house in this area(at least my friend was able to last year). You'll easily get a nice condo for that kind of coin.

Wellington Crescent Just a street not an area, it runs west of osborn and bends along corydon. It's a very nice place to live, again some very nice condo's and conversions (huge old houses converted to condos/apartments) but fairly expensive.

Corydon
West of Osborne this is the other restaurant/shop/pub street. Also a very desirable location. If i have one knock on it, most of the apartment blocks actually on corydon are pretty uninspired and overpriced. North of corydon does have some cool old building though.

St boniface Old Saint Boniface is the French district of Winnipeg. It's just across the river from the forks and is also a very cool little cultural spot. French language skills are not a necessity though would probably let you appreciate it more. A number of cool little streets in this area house neat restraunts and pubs and its quite close to downtown. You can definitely buy a medium (depending on your opinion of medium) house here for that price.

If your looking for somewhere close to downtown, these are the areas I (as a fellow early twenties "professional") would be looking to land.

The concerns of downtown though sometimes justified, are often overblown. their are far fewer stabbings,muggiesn, jumpings, etc in the downtown core then people seem to think, and these are far more likely to happen in the poor residential areas then downtown.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
ask the guy what his priorities are before naming areas.

if you want a mix of bars/restaurants/shops that are in walking distance, Osborne village is nice. not sure if there are any overly nice condos, though.

if you want river walkways and a nice view of the city, i suggest Exchange east.

if you want Ikea and grocery stores, then near Kenaston.

Wolsley is the new hot spot. 100 year old houses with charm and a nice vibe to it. you have to pick your streets carefully, since its in the middle of gentrification.

if i had to choose a place and was in my 20s, single and had $250K to burn, i'd choose either Wolsely or Exchange east so that I'd be close enough to the Forks/St Boniface. Osborne Village is pretty small and has some scuzz to it.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:39 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Whoever tells you Downtown is dangerous doesn't know downtown. I have lived right across from the forks for over a year and it's been awesome! Don't be afraid to live downtown at all, it`s growing and becoming more populated by the month. There are great places to go, lots of clubs within walking distance, restaraunts galore and fantastic river paths and other amenities.

If you are zeroing in on a place and need some advice, feel free to PM me and I will be more than willing to tell you what I know about it.

Welcome to Winnipeg. Hope you love it as much as many of us do.
Yeah I'll have to echo the downtown sentiments, I live downtown and I really like it, also good as a STH as my building is connected to the skywalk. No extra parking costs, leave my jacket at home, even sometimes have time to run back to my place for a washroom break. Also for the danger, I've never had any issue and I am outside past sundown frequently. It's a stereotype that downtown is dangerous, it really isn't.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Yeah I'll have to echo the downtown sentiments, I live downtown and I really like it, also good as a STH as my building is connected to the skywalk. No extra parking costs, leave my jacket at home, even sometimes have time to run back to my place for a washroom break. Also for the danger, I've never had any issue and I am outside past sundown frequently. It's a stereotype that downtown is dangerous, it really isn't.
I went too school at Red River downtown and absolutely fell in love with the area!! It just keeps on getting better with all the development

Last edited by Tdoe42: 06-01-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryinPrague View Post
When the op comes to winnipeg, let him walk downtown by himself at say 10-11 pm and he can be the judge. Winnipeg easily has the worst downtown of any canadian hockey city. Why di yiu think there are so many parking lots, because business doesn't want to be there. What makes it bad is, not many stores, and they all close like at 6, not much walking traffic, so streets are bare, a d alot of undesirables,who would knife you for 5 bucks. By the way i used to live on donald years ago..if you dont work, or go to a jets game, i bet over 90% of the people never go downtown,excluding the forks, which is kind of a seperate area.or maybe the exchange friday/saturday night
Where exactly do you live? I live DOWNTOWN. I am DOWNTOWN about 90% of my life. I'd like to know what your honest experience is with downtown. When and how much time do you spend down here? I work, live and play down here.

06-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeps View Post
Can't stress enough how much this helps. I think the one constant theme seems to be the Corydon/Osborne village areas which having done some research seems to be about a 10 minute drive to where I'd be working as per google maps. I think that is going to be where I focus on. Again, thank you all so much for your insights.
Osborne Village is probably a 30 minute (or less) walk from most of Downtown.

If you go to Google Maps and type in "Osborne Village, Winnipeg" it'll center on the area and draw a little dashed-line border around the neighbourhood. Using this method, your prime living areas are:
  • McMillan (this covers Osborne Village west of Osborne and Corydon Village north of Corydon - probably the most desirable area on the whole)
  • Osborne Village
  • Earl Grey (the closer to Corydon, the better)

There's a pretty good mix of housing in those areas - from small (< 1000 sq ft) detached 2 bedroom bungalows on small lots to apartment condos in character 3-storey walkups to modern high-rises.

You might also want to look at:
  • Crescentwood
  • Norwood West
  • Riverview
  • Wolseley
  • Broadway-Assiniboine
  • Exchange District

Those last two are downtown, but are pretty popular residential areas. Broadway-Assiniboine is pretty quiet and a quick stumble home from the MTS Centre. The Exchange District has lots of nightlife and a lot of condos - from loft-style converted warehouses to the upscale Riverfront Drive.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Stump

Like many have said, Osborne Village would be a great spot, especially the west side of Osborne. If you are buying, the west side will be a better investment. I would rank Corydon area below Osborne personally, but still very appealing.

+1 for Norwood West (aka Norwood Flats) along the Red River. I live there, and I work downtown on Broadway. 20 minute walk, 7 minute bike ride, 5 minute bus ride, yet you don't even feel like you're close to downtown. Does not have the urban vibe of Osborne but it's a great neighbourhood. There are a few older condos on Lyndale Drive.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:15 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeps View Post
Hey just thought I'd check and see if anybody on your board has some advice to offer me. I'm moving to Winnipeg next month, and am in the process of trying to find a place to live. Looking at the possibility of both renting and/or buying a condo. What areas would you recommend for a single guy in their mid-20's? I'm going to be working downtown and trying to be reasonably close to work. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
St. Boniface is great. Close to downtown without being downtown. Easy to find everything you need there. There are plenty of apartments and condos there.

It really depends on what your interests are. If you want affordability, and don't have a respectable amount of fear for your personal safety, Chappelle St probably has vacancies...

indigobuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
civic204

I would also like to endorse the osborne/corydon area. One of the few areas where people walking on the sidewalk is a regular occurance. I moved to River Heights, but enjoyed my early 20's in the Village.

The Toad is one my favorite places to get a drink. The mixed crowd from Hobo's to hipsters guarantees an interesting story the next day.

However, I would say this area isn't necessarily safer than Downtown. A lot goes down.

civic204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:30 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic204 View Post
I would also like to endorse the osborne/corydon area. One of the few areas where people walking on the sidewalk is a regular occurance. I moved to River Heights, but enjoyed my early 20's in the Village.

The Toad is one my favorite places to get a drink. The mixed crowd from Hobo's to hipsters guarantees an interesting story the next day.

However, I would say this area isn't necessarily safer than Downtown. A lot goes down.
I don't hang out there anymore...
But, this is one of the things I miss the most.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:33 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I feel like the West End gets kind of a bad rep. It's not really all that bad (not as bad as the North End anyway) and it's where a lot of immigrant families live when they first move to Winnipeg.

My family used to live on William Street when I was a kid in the 90's and we didn't encounter too many problems.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
st. james is nice, can't go wrong there - min from polo park (shopping mall) and half an hour by bus/15min by car to downtown - depends where you're working. One very good thing about Winterpeg is that you can get from one side of the city to the opposite side in 40 min taking 20 different ways. Bring your GPS tho - no numbered st./ ave - I do agree with one of the posts - finer parts of the city is wellington crescent... really nice for the price,
Yeah, I don't know why, but I find it much easier to get around in then Deadmonton. Maybe that is just personal bias though.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Get in contact with a realtor and tell them what your looking for cause to be frank some of these people are completely out to lunch. If your in your mid 20's don't be taking advice from some 60 year old guy who's scared of downtown and thinks panhandlers woudl knife them.

I'm not much older than you. If I was single and looking to buy a place and working downtown, my top choices would be:
1. Exchange district
2. Osborne / Corydon Village
3. St. Boniface

and if you want to rent, downtown or the village is where i would look. A few high rises in the vilalge and tonnes of choices downtown.

the avenue building was just completed a conversion to apartments. Located just down the street from MTS Centre. Its looking sweet:

I seriously go downtown all the time for clubs , bars, restaurants. My grilfriend rents an apartment downtown. Not once have I ever felt threatened. If you're not looking for trouble you won't find it.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Bonus. Walking distance to the Kung Fu School.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:33 AM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

I'd personally stay away from the Kenaston area. I used to work in the area and traffic was a nightmare, I can only imagine what it'll be like once IKEA opens.

Terrible planning, IMO.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
I'd personally stay away from the Kenaston area. I used to work in the area and traffic was a nightmare, I can only imagine what it'll be like once IKEA opens.

Terrible planning, IMO.
not to mention cookie-cutter-pop-up-cardboard-wall style developments.

I have a serious hate on for these sorts of areas but if you look into an apartment/ condo that appears to have been built in the last 15 years, do a sound test.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:31 AM
bicycles

stay away from anywhere south of Grant Ave, the traffic is awful, there is nothing to do, and it is ugly as hell. the best nieghbourhoods for you would either be the Exchange, West Broadway, Broadway/Assiniboine, or Osborne Village. people who think downtown has this awful crime problem are hilarious.

bicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycles View Post
stay away from anywhere south of Grant Ave, the traffic is awful, there is nothing to do, and it is ugly as hell. the best nieghbourhoods for you would either be the Exchange, West Broadway, Broadway/Assiniboine, or Osborne Village. people who think downtown has this awful crime problem are hilarious.
no kidding. The only reasons i would suggest against downtown was if

A) you were ristricted by money as you will be paying location premium.

B) you were starting a family.

The OP meets neither of these criteria.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:16 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryinPrague View Post
When the op comes to winnipeg, let him walk downtown by himself at say 10-11 pm and he can be the judge. Winnipeg easily has the worst downtown of any canadian hockey city. Why di yiu think there are so many parking lots, because business doesn't want to be there. What makes it bad is, not many stores, and they all close like at 6, not much walking traffic, so streets are bare, a d alot of undesirables,who would knife you for 5 bucks. By the way i used to live on donald years ago..if you dont work, or go to a jets game, i bet over 90% of the people never go downtown,excluding the forks, which is kind of a seperate area.or maybe the exchange friday/saturday night
Worst downtown based on what? Crime? Businesses? Have you ever been downtown in any other city between 10-11pm? Try hanging around the arenas in Calgary/Edmonton...no business, no traffic, and high crime.

The rest of your post is purely rhetoric describing your ignorance of Winnipeg and it's population.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:23 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post

Terrible planning, IMO.
Winnipeg city planning is on the fly, they put it where they "think" its the best location possible.

It's going to be a gong show on route 90, who thought of that location anyways.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote