Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Combine fitness testing day!

It's still early but there are a couple interesting results, mostly the players who were injured trying to bring their stock back up.

Also

Team tipping their hand a little bit?
Interesting.

Koekkoek is an interesting guy, too. Played big minutes prior to getting injured on a poor team, but played well. I think some team is getting a gem - likely in the 15-25 pick range.

Wonder if the Isles are interested in Rielly at #4?

Old
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Interesting.

Koekkoek is an interesting guy, too. Played big minutes prior to getting injured on a poor team, but played well. I think some team is getting a gem - likely in the 15-25 pick range.

Wonder if the Isles are interested in Rielly at #4?
I've watched Koekkoek and I'm telling ya whoever drafts him is getting a top 3 defenseman. Had he not got injured I'd bet he would be a guaranteed top 10-15 pick. He does it all for his team and when he went down to injury it was incredible how noticeable his absence was.

If he slips to the second round like i've seen some projections claiming, whoever gets him will be absolutely laughing. He's just as good as Cody Ceci at this point (though remember, Ceci has 3 years experience to Koekkoek's 2) and has just as much potential. All in all, he's as solid as a rock. He'll be yet another quality player out of a long list of them coming from the Peterborough Petes organization.

I still wouldn't be surprised or shocked at all to see a wise team draft Koekkoek in the top 15, or close to it. If they've done their homework, they'll know how good he is and can be. And so long as his shoulder appears fine, and going by the combine it does seem fine, that will make teams feel a lot better.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Rheged
JMFT

I really like Koekkoek too, was hoping he could fall to us in the 2nd but I think that's a pipe dream at this point, I really doubt he makes it out of the first round.

--

ISS have realeased their final rankings, top 30 skaters and top 5 goalies here.

They still have Galchenyuk at 14 and have Faksa at 16, although I don't recall where he was ranked previously.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:06 AM
mondo3

It would be very interesting to know who the Jets interviewed. Is there a list anywhere?

Old
06-01-2012, 11:12 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
It would be very interesting to know who the Jets interviewed. Is there a list anywhere?
odds are you wont find out any names until after the draft... if at all.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:20 AM
nabby12

Andrey Makarov was talking with the Jets yesterday he told me

Old
06-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
odds are you wont find out any names until after the draft... if at all.
They'll do more interviews right before the draft too, no? I'm sure they'll talk to the top 15+ guys and a few more - that their scouts have an interest in.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 700
They've interviewed more than 70 players.

Quote:
Cheveldayoff and his hockey department and scouts have been busy at the NHL scouting combine this week, interviewing more than 70 draft-eligible prospects since Monday.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...156202825.html

Old
06-01-2012, 11:45 AM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
They'll do more interviews right before the draft too, no? I'm sure they'll talk to the top 15+ guys and a few more - that their scouts have an interest in.
Not sure if the NHL is the same as the NFL, but in the NFL teams are only allowed to interview so many players (30 I think). Generally the players that get interviewed the most either have off-field concerns or have injury history.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
Andrey Makarov was talking with the Jets yesterday he told me

Don't see the Jets going G at #9. Will he be there in 2nd round at #38? Maybe. Depends if a team needs another goalie prospect, and many likely do - CBJ, Edm, Philly, TML, isles, NYR, ??

Old
06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Rheged
JMFT

I'm sure there'll be a goalie they like in the later rounds, I might be more inclined to take an overager like Houser.

Goalie's are so hard to project, I actually wonder if there are stats around on overage drafted goalies and how sucessful they are at the next level..

Old
06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Don't see the Jets going G at #9. Will he be there in 2nd round at #38? Maybe. Depends if a team needs another goalie prospect, and many likely do - CBJ, Edm, Philly, TML, isles, NYR, ??
I have no concerns about makarov being their in the second, and would honestly prefer to wait till the 4th and later to draft a goalies..

Goalies are rarely taken in the first and only if they really show something amazing, as history dictates your 4-7th round goal,y is just as likely to be a star as your top 30 picked.

Being passed over once and with dansk, subban, and vas all being ranked higher, i find it highly unlikely that all of those three will even go in the first.

WIth Pav's being young and sharp, and pasquale showing himself to be a legitimate goaly prospect, It seems like bad asset management to use high a pick on very long term project who in a worst case scenario wouldn't even be needed for 5+ years.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I've watched Koekkoek and I'm telling ya whoever drafts him is getting a top 3 defenseman. Had he not got injured I'd bet he would be a guaranteed top 10-15 pick. He does it all for his team and when he went down to injury it was incredible how noticeable his absence was.

If he slips to the second round like i've seen some projections claiming, whoever gets him will be absolutely laughing. He's just as good as Cody Ceci at this point (though remember, Ceci has 3 years experience to Koekkoek's 2) and has just as much potential. All in all, he's as solid as a rock. He'll be yet another quality player out of a long list of them coming from the Peterborough Petes organization.

I still wouldn't be surprised or shocked at all to see a wise team draft Koekkoek in the top 15, or close to it. If they've done their homework, they'll know how good he is and can be. And so long as his shoulder appears fine, and going by the combine it does seem fine, that will make teams feel a lot better.
I've liked Koekkoek for a while now and what your speak of is all true. He would be pushing Ceci, Reinhart and others in the rankings had he not missed most of the season. I was hoping he'd slip to Boston, but that looks unlikely at this point.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 11:58 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
I'm sure there'll be a goalie they like in the later rounds, I might be more inclined to take an overager like Houser.

Goalie's are so hard to project, I actually wonder if there are stats around on overage drafted goalies and how sucessful they are at the next level..
It's never a bad idea to take at least one goalie in each draft. Gives you a good chance to have some decent success with goalies and it never hurts to have some solid young goalies in your system.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:15 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Apparently the Jets talked to Pearson today. No surprise I guess, considering who his coach and teammates are.

I also think the Jets will take a goalie in the draft to replace the outgoing FPW. Makarov in the 3rd round would be fine with me.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633466

Q & A with Morgan Reilly.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Makarov is a mid rounder AT BEST. I would think 4-6 round, somewhere in there.

The LA Kings were the first team to draft a goalie last year, in the middle of the second round. And they have the best goalie in the NHL, and one of the top 3-5 young backups with elite potential. It is always a good idea to have plenty of goalie depth. If Andrei Vaslevski is there at 38 I would hope the Jets don't dismiss him cause he is a goalie, you take the BPA. But I doubt he is and there is no goalie the Jets should consider at 9.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:12 PM
trebendan

I'd like to see the Jets draft goalie Chris Driedger of the Calgary Hitmen with perhaps their 5th or 6th round pick. I think he's from Winnipeg.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
I'd like to see the Jets draft goalie Chris Driedger of the Calgary Hitmen with perhaps their 5th or 6th round pick. I think he's from Winnipeg.
He's known as one of the possible "sleeper" goaltender picks. The team could get their "token pegger" and a decent prospect at the same time, so I wouldn't be upset if he was a later round pick.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Makarov is a mid rounder AT BEST. I would think 4-6 round, somewhere in there.

The LA Kings were the first team to draft a goalie last year, in the middle of the second round. And they have the best goalie in the NHL, and one of the top 3-5 young backups with elite potential. It is always a good idea to have plenty of goalie depth. If Andrei Vaslevski is there at 38 I would hope the Jets don't dismiss him cause he is a goalie, you take the BPA. But I doubt he is and there is no goalie the Jets should consider at 9.
Makarov had such a good WJC, in games versus Canada and Sweden, that it wouldn't surprise me if he went earlier than his ranking. Though, in hindsight, the 2nd round is still a bit early, i agree.

He had a good 1st half and WJC, then up and down in the 2nd half and a iffy playoff. But i think some team remembers the pressure and performance of the WJC, and takes him, maybe in the 3rd round.

Subban seems to be gaining momentum, if you believe the TSN Combine show hype, but if he's taken in the top 10, I'd be shocked. Taken in the 1st round, sure. And maybe by TB, with one of their 2 1st rd picks.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:48 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Random thought re; the defenseman of this draft. I think Cody Ceci could be one of the better defenseman out of this draft when it's all said and done. I've been a supporter of Reinhart (or Trouba) but to be honest, I am most comfortable with Ceci with all things considered. His defensive game is as good as anyones in the draft in my opinion, his offensive game is quite good, and he doesn't mind or shy away from physical play. He has great size too, and every time I watch him I can't believe how wide his shoulders are, kid has a pretty huge upper body.

And a nice fact about Ceci too is, he's had 3 years OHL experience under his belt to date. He'll likely play this season in the OHL (his 4th) and then he can either play in the AHL or be ready for the NHL.

So there it is, random thought of the day and for really no rhyme or reason, but Ceci is tops on my list in terms of defenseman in this draft. He's got the all-around game that I think many of these defenseman are lacking at this stage, and I think he'll round out as one of the better defenseman from this draft class.
good post I would not be surprised if we drafted him. Crazy draft this year really

Old
06-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Sweech
COYS!

A guy whose interview I really liked from the draft combine was Hampus Lindholm.

He kept talking about "body language", but the thing I liked was he seemed genuinely concerned about just being a good person and a good teammate. Seems like a quiet leader in the making and a "character" guy that Chevy and co. might be taking a look at.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:55 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
A guy whose interview I really liked from the draft combine was Hampus Lindholm.

He kept talking about "body language", but the thing I liked was he seemed genuinely concerned about just being a good person and a good teammate. Seems like a quiet leader in the making and a "character" guy that Chevy and co. might be taking a look at.
Are you a scout or something?

Old
06-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Are you a scout or something?
If you check out http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/ you can be just as much of a scout as me.

Also, whenever I watch the video from Hindholm doing the vertical jump I laugh out loud every single time.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

How exactly do you pronounce Koekkoek? This has been bugging me for a while.

Adam Pelech is another player I like but am unsure of where he'll be drafted. I've seen him ranked and mock drafted anywhere from the 1st round to the 3rd round.

Closed Thread