HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part X

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 09:41 AM
marc88

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397361

Roy is still in the running!

Old
06-01-2012, 09:45 AM
MathMan

At this stage going with an unknown like Roy would be better than going with Crawford or, especially, Therrien.

That said, if they go with a rookie, I'd hope they'd go with someone who is more coach and less symbol. Groulx is an intriguing option.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:47 AM
bipolarhabfan

Roy would indeed be the most exciting candidate and someone who would bring passion back to the Habs. He is one of the most competitive players I have ever seen. Although egotistical, he knows how to win. As well, given his personality he can take anything the media says to him and can insulate his team from media pressure. I think this is critical in a market such as Montreal.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
At this stage going with an unknown like Roy would be better than going with Crawford or, especially, Therrien.

That said, if they go with a rookie, I'd hope they'd go with someone who is more coach and less symbol. Groulx is an intriguing option.
I always find it funny with Roy that you never hear anyone analyse his coaching ability, just that he's a "winner" who will bring "passion", with references to how he was a great player.

But yeah, at this point with the options so horrible, gambling with Roy makes more sense than going with an option you know is terrible.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:52 AM
EveryDay

Please let's this be true!

Roy
Groulx

Therrien
Crawford

Old
06-01-2012, 09:53 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc88 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397361

Roy is still in the running!
Of course he was. I've been saying it for awhile now. I even called Hartley to Calgary a few weeks ago. The only reason Crawford, Hartley and Therrien were the only ones being mentioned was because they all have connections to RDS and TSN to some degree (less so Hartley). The other candidates are all off the radar. It speaks to how secretive MB is keeping this process. In the end, he'll pick someone the will probably surprise the most connected of hockey insiders. Right now I'm not trusting any sources from RDS or TSN because they've been off in all their speculation even with regards to the GM.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
There was a lot of rumblings few months ago that if Roy was to go to the NHL that Groulx would either be his assistant or replace him in Quebec. The article does not say much but at least it does leave some hope that MTL will not restrict themselves to Crawford and Therrien.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I have been thinking the same thing for a month at least.
The most important player the habs must draft is that big 1st line center, missing for at least 10 years.
If Grigorenko is the player the Habs want, then the most important coach for Grigorenko is ROY.
If they have had a great relationship for the last two years, it's ROY that will get the best out of Grigorenko for the Habs.
Imagine what a well motivated Grigorenko what do for the Habs. WOW.
Grigs wont be a regular 1st line center before 2-3 years.
Coaches usually last 3 years in Montreal.
Just saying

Old
06-01-2012, 10:08 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I always find it funny with Roy that you never hear anyone analyse his coaching ability, just that he's a "winner" who will bring "passion", with references to how he was a great player.

But yeah, at this point with the options so horrible, gambling with Roy makes more sense than going with an option you know is terrible.
That's because it's a lot easier for most of the media guys to relate to that than to make an actual effort at understanding and explaining (to the viewers) strategies beyond scoring lots of goals = offensive system, not scoring lots of goals = defensive system (even simple things like matchups and zonestarts). Kind of mind boggling considering how many of these guys are ex coaches themselves, though strategies aren't the same as when they coached (most good teams matching power on power instead of going with the 2 scoring lines, 1 shutdown line setup for example)

Also agree on your second point. Also thinking, if they are willing to consider Crawford a candidate because he's willing to learn french it might be worth asking any interesting english speaking candidates if they would want to do so.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:08 AM

When Pierre McGuire was on 990 the day after losing out on the GM job, he was asked about some of the questions he was asked during the interview process...while he didn't give away alot of information, he DID say that he was specifically asked about how he would deal with Patrick Roy as coach

Now if that's not an indication that he's going to be the next head coach, or is at least their preference...then I dont know what else to say

At this point, I'd be shocked if it was anyone other than Roy...I assume negotiations with Roy are more complex than usual given he apparently wants a say in the decision making...

we'll see I guess

Old
06-01-2012, 10:09 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
When Pierre McGuire was on 990 the day after losing out on the GM job, he was asked about some of the questions he was asked during the interview process...while he didn't give away alot of information, he DID say that he was specifically asked about how he would deal with Patrick Roy as coach

Now if that's not an indication that he's going to be the next head coach, or is at least their preference...then I dont know what else to say

At this point, I'd be shocked if it was anyone other than Roy...I assume negotiations with Roy are more complex than usual given he apparently wants a say in the decision making...

we'll see I guess
w0rd.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Moen View Post
Please not Michel Therrien
I'm very concerned that he might be the chosen one...

Old
06-01-2012, 10:15 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Grigs wont be a regular 1st line center before 2-3 years.
Coaches usually last 3 years in Montreal.
Just saying
Well we don't know this at all.
All Grig has to do is be a better center then Pleks or Desharnais.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Well we don't know this at all.
All Grig has to do is be a better center then Pleks or Desharnais.
Grigo has trouble against physical contact in the Q, he's definitely not ready to be an NHL center.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
LaTenderness

Roy for Coach

Grigs for R.O.t.Y

Old
06-01-2012, 10:22 AM
The Doors

I think it will be Roy with an assistant from the Q and one of Tampa Bay's assistants, and a guy like Desjardins to run the D.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Roy as head coach and Groulx as one of his assistants ?

Old
06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Habruti!

This is what I would be hoping for .. Roy, Groulx and Robinson!!!

Old
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I'm actually getting a little giddy thinking about Roy as coach!

Old
06-01-2012, 10:47 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
I think an English coach with french assistants would go just fine as long as its a guy from here. I think Bergevin is still in this honey moon where he could do just about anything and it would go through fine.
They already start to slowly criticize Bergevin in the JdeM this morning.... And no, an english coach with french assistant wouldn't work (see Cunneyworth--Larry Carrière)

Old
06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Therrien and Crawford dont particularly interest me and they bore me.
I want something new so I'd go with Roy
And i'd get groulx and carbo as assistants.

Carbo, say what you will about him as a HC but he was a phenomenal assistant coach and ran our special teams top 5 in the league. He has said he's willing to come back in any capacity to help out the team so it shows me he just wants montreal to win.

Groulx is a fantastic mentor and considering we're getting more and more youth on the team, he could help keep the youngsters on the right track. He also runs very heavy practices and keeps players in top shape which is something we've been lacking lately

With those 2 at his side, Roy would have experience to help him as a rookie coach and all he has to do is bring in the passion and motivation that was gone with muller left

Old
06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
mikeysvette
Go Seadogs!

Quote:
This is what I would be hoping for .. Roy, Groulx and Robinson!!!
Yup same here...or a ROY, Carbo (or another ex teammate), and robinson combo

Old
06-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
They already start to slowly criticize Bergevin in the JdeM this morning.... And no, an english coach with french assistant wouldn't work (see Cunneyworth--Larry Carrière)
Believe me it would... if Cunnyworth would be in the finals this year you can bet your ass that he would still be the coach next season.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:08 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Believe me it would... if Cunnyworth would be in the finals this year you can bet your ass that he would still be the coach next season.
i agree with you, with a winning team, fans don't give a damn but in the given situation, it would not work cause like it or not, even if you put Babcock behind the bench, we are not winning the cup next year.... (By the way, Babcock has not won a cup in 5 years (just saying)

Old
06-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Another weird part of it is that there is plenty of evidence that Roy is smarter than your average ex-player. This is the guy that co-created modern scientific goaltending.

So lack reference to coaching ability might not be he lacks them. Its that these media guys are in fact storytellers, not analysts. Their opinions seem based narrative logic rather than evidence. I don't know if its because they are incapable of better or if that's just what they think the audience wants to hear.

Closed Thread