HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snider Talks about Bryzgalov; Paul Holmgren “has to focus on the defense first.”

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
  #151
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Just how untouchable is jamie oleksiak?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:05 PM
  #152
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
What if we got kimmo to waive his nmc..

Sign suter
Kimmo + carle + 4 1sts for weber

o_0
Why would Nashville want a 38 year old player?

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:22 PM
  #153
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Why would Nashville want a 38 year old player?
more like why would nash. take Carle..

thats like ending up with the fat ugly sister.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:31 PM
  #154
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Just how untouchable is jamie oleksiak?
Well, few of us here could touch the top of his head, even with a running start.

Very nice prospect. Dallas' needs, according to HF, are:
- Some big offensive-upside players have issues with work ethic.
- System has lacked real blue-chippers for some time.
- Lack of capable centers.

I'm trying to think of a reasonable forward-for-Oleksiak package.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:57 PM
  #155
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,866
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Well, few of us here could touch the top of his head, even with a running start.

Very nice prospect. Dallas' needs, according to HF, are:
- Some big offensive-upside players have issues with work ethic.
- System has lacked real blue-chippers for some time.
- Lack of capable centers.

I'm trying to think of a reasonable forward-for-Oleksiak package.
I'm not too familiar with him, but I imagine it would start with JVR, Schenn, or Couturier if he's a blue-chip type prospect. I really like Scott Glennie from Dallas, so if this Oleksiak kid was up for grabs, do you think the Flyers would have a shot at getting Glennie too? From what I understand he isn't exactly progressing the way the Stars had hoped.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:05 PM
  #156
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not too familiar with him, but I imagine it would start with JVR, Schenn, or Couturier if he's a blue-chip type prospect. I really like Scott Glennie from Dallas, so if this Oleksiak kid was up for grabs, do you think the Flyers would have a shot at getting Glennie too? From what I understand he isn't exactly progressing the way the Stars had hoped.
I wouldn't move Schenn or Couturier for a defensive prospect.

JVR for Olesiak and Glennie? We'd probably had to add something--their pick between Gus and MAB?

Meh. I think I'd rather explore JVR to Phoenix for Gormley +.

Oleksiak scares me a bit. I look at his production and he just screams like a guy who was drafted solely on the basis of his size.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:55 PM
  #157
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I wouldn't move Schenn or Couturier for a defensive prospect.

JVR for Olesiak and Glennie? We'd probably had to add something--their pick between Gus and MAB?

Meh. I think I'd rather explore JVR to Phoenix for Gormley +.

Oleksiak scares me a bit. I look at his production and he just screams like a guy who was drafted solely on the basis of his size.
So was Myers.

If the big guys can skate well, and are nimble with their feet (kicking the puck, blocking passes) they can dominate as defensive d-men

Oleksiak is tougher than myers too. Like a lot tougher.


Out of curiosity:
How does the value of Hedman for Schenn look?

Would you do it?


Last edited by tuckrr: 05-31-2012 at 12:01 AM.
tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:07 AM
  #158
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
So was Myers.

If the big guys can skate well, and are nimble with their feet (kicking the puck, blocking passes) they can dominate as defensive d-men

Oleksiak is tougher than myers too. Like a lot tougher.
Yeah. He's more highly rated than I realized. On the other hand, what kind of offensive upside does he have?

Is his upside significantly higher than a guy like Koekkoek, who could easily fall to us at 20.


Quote:
Out of curiosity:
How does the value of Hedman for Schenn look?

Would you do it?
Of course, but Stevie Y would die laughing before he managed to hang up the phone.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:11 AM
  #159
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
So was Myers.

If the big guys can skate well, and are nimble with their feet (kicking the puck, blocking passes) they can dominate as defensive d-men

Oleksiak is tougher than myers too. Like a lot tougher.


Out of curiosity:
How does the value of Hedman for Schenn look?

Would you do it?
To answer bottom to top, I'd absolutely deal Schenn for Hedman. TBay would probably balk.

I was just going on Oleksiak's HF write-up, which says he skates very well for a big (6-7) man. Not much on his offense, though, save for "outstanding puck skills". 4 goals 9 assists in 38 games at Northeastern University om 2010-11.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:15 AM
  #160
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

I was just going on Oleksiak's HF write-up, which says he skates very well for a big (6-7) man. Not much on his offense, though, save for "outstanding puck skills". 4 goals 9 assists in 38 games at Northeastern University om 2010-11.
Going by the numbers, he seems like he was quite a bit better after moving to Niagra in the OHL.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:46 AM
  #161
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Yeah. He's more highly rated than I realized. On the other hand, what kind of offensive upside does he have?

Is his upside significantly higher than a guy like Koekkoek, who could easily fall to us at 20.




Of course, but Stevie Y would die laughing before he managed to hang up the phone.
Hedman's value is actually the lowest its been since i can remember (maybe ever?)

to answer your question, I'd say koekkoek has a higher floor but lower ceiling. Being the optimist, i think oleksiak reaches his potential (or gets close to it) so he will end up the better player.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:04 PM
  #162
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Hedman's value is actually the lowest its been since i can remember (maybe ever?)

to answer your question, I'd say koekkoek has a higher floor but lower ceiling. Being the optimist, i think oleksiak reaches his potential (or gets close to it) so he will end up the better player.
That makes sense--though I thought it was almost exactly the opposite: That Oleksiak had the higher floor (he is, after all, 6'7) but lacked Koekkoek's offensive skills, and therefore had a somewhat lower ceiling.

Regardless, I think it makes much more sense for us to move a 3rd or future 2nd to jump a few spots in the draft and take Koekkoek or Maatta or whover the highest-rated defensemen still left on the board around 16 or so is than it does to move a current roster player for Oleksiak.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
  #163
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
There is no tampering about it. All he said is that Homer needs to fix the D to replace Pronger. He didn't say anything, without re-reading it since yesterday, about UFAs, trades, or cloning Pronger.

And really, do you think Suter and his agent need any 'signs' from GMs who might be interested. He just has to look up NHL.com and see the logos across the top. Almost ALL of them would be interested to a degree, but I'm there are 10 who would get in on an auction. Suter knows he can pick his spot. Stay where he's happy? Maybe. Move to a quiet market like Col. or Minny? Maybe. Join a potential powerhouse and try to win a Cup, like Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, San Jose? Maybe. Join a lesser team on the way up, e.g. Calgary, Toronto, Columbus, Montreal? Probably not.

We'll see who offers what, if they even get a chance.
Considering suter is meeting with management this week and thinking that he may be emationally tricked into signing there before FA Snieder may want to make sure he doesn't sign.

Doesn't matter now. With lids done suter and praise are going to DET

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
  #164
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Considering suter is meeting with management this week and thinking that he may be emationally tricked into signing there before FA Snieder may want to make sure he doesn't sign.

Doesn't matter now. With lids done suter and praise are going to DET
I hate to say it, but I think Parise is staying in the atlantic...and he won't be playing for us.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
  #165
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,754
vCash: 500
Edit: Delete.


Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 05-31-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
  #166
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Apparently, Mackenzie reported on TSN that "something is brewing" between Toronto and Philadelphia....
Then he said on his Twitter that the trade is not true when asked to confirm he was talking about a trade on the radio. Wtf?

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:53 PM
  #167
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Then he said on his Twitter that the trade is not true when asked to confirm he was talking about a trade on the radio. Wtf?
Yeah. I got it off the trade rumors forum, but apparently the OP made it up.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
  #168
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,231
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Suter said he'll "entertain" offers from Nashville. I think it's pretty black and white at this point. Suter is either getting the house or making it to market with the latter being the more likely scenario.

With Suter on the way out, Weber is 100% off the table. That's the end of that discussion unless you're throwing Giroux at Nashville.

If we want a big time #1 it's Suter or bust. If Suter comes with Parise, he's not coming to Philadelphia unless JVR's or Briere's contract and possibly another are on the way out.
That seems like a really big if. I just don't see those two basing their decisions off one another like that. It's not like it's the NBA, where talent matters more than coaching and two star players can turn a team from fringe play off team to a premier contender. System and depth matter too much in the NHL for free agents to make decisions influenced heavily by what one other guy is going to do.

Just my opinion of course.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:57 PM
  #169
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,402
vCash: 500
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but it's really a shame that Timonen's contract wasn't one year shorter. Even if he went UFA this year, I think he would have signed for at least another year on a hit of nearly half of what he's getting now. With that, the Flyers would have had more than enough money to make a run at Suter and Parise if they're really hellbent on playing on the same team.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:07 AM
  #170
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
That seems like a really big if. I just don't see those two basing their decisions off one another like that. It's not like it's the NBA, where talent matters more than coaching and two star players can turn a team from fringe play off team to a premier contender. System and depth matter too much in the NHL for free agents to make decisions influenced heavily by what one other guy is going to do.

Just my opinion of course.
I agree, I can only think of 1 example of two free agents choosing to go to the same team which neither of them had been on the year before. That being Karyia and Selanne to the Avalanche. Then maybe a handful of times a team resigned a guy and his buddy also joined the team. So far as I know Suter and Parise aren't amazing pals that they plan to try and get signed to the same team.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
  #171
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He latched everything to Pronger getting hurt and needing to replace him.


It's the other Nashville defenseman who would presumably do that. So, we know what the marching orders are for the off-season.
Sigh... I have the ominous feeling that we're headed for disappointment/disaster again with a big-time free agent signing. I can't wait for the shock, confusion, and anger that will result from the organization/fan base/this board once it's realized -- assuming the Flyers sign him -- that Suter isn't a true #1 defenseman capable of carrying a top pairing.

Please, Ed, I love you, but just sit back, shut up, and let the hockey people running things handle the hockey moves.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
  #172
4thline4life
The Mased God
 
4thline4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n philly
Posts: 2,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Sigh... I have the ominous feeling that we're headed for disappointment/disaster again with a big-time free agent signing. I can't wait for the shock, confusion, and anger that will result from the organization/fan base/this board once it's realized -- assuming the Flyers sign him -- that Suter isn't a true #1 defenseman capable of carrying a top pairing.

Please, Ed, I love you, but just sit back, shut up, and let the hockey people running things handle the hockey moves.
Suter carried a number 1 pairing while weber was out with the concussion this year and arguably played his best hockey in that frame. He also was the best defenseman for team usa at the olympics imo...if anything suter is underrated for playing in webers shadow.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
  #173
moosehead81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Sigh... I have the ominous feeling that we're headed for disappointment/disaster again with a big-time free agent signing. I can't wait for the shock, confusion, and anger that will result from the organization/fan base/this board once it's realized -- assuming the Flyers sign him -- that Suter isn't a true #1 defenseman capable of carrying a top pairing.

Please, Ed, I love you, but just sit back, shut up, and let the hockey people running things handle the hockey moves.
How true! You didn't need to be a rocket scientist (or be told by your owner) that goal tending was a problem and to "fix" it, salary had to be unloaded- ergo, Jeff Carter onto Columbus. But I have an unsubstantiated opinion that against the wishes of Holmgren, Snider was directly responsible for also moving Richards for whatever reason(s). And then all his cronies, like a certain R Clarke, came out backing that decision. Funny how 29 other teams run by "hockey people", including the Kings, were likely salivating to get Richards. Funny how things turn out, at least in year 1. Not sure it'll be much better by year 5.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:49 AM
  #174
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
With Lidstrom retiring, the premium on defensemen just went up again. Suter's value just went to the 7 - 7.5 million a season range now. Holmgren needs to stay away. I know the popular thing here is to go after Suter or look at acquiring Weber, but either move is going to handcuff the team financially or handcuff the team financially and gut the team of prospects, picks and players as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:53 AM
  #175
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
With Lidstrom retiring, the premium on defensemen just went up again. Suter's value just went to the 7 - 7.5 million a season range now. Holmgren needs to stay away. I know the popular thing here is to go after Suter or look at acquiring Weber, but either move is going to handcuff the team financially or handcuff the team financially and gut the team of prospects, picks and players as well.
When has that stopped Homer before?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.