HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

$70.3 Million for 2012-13

Old
06-01-2012, 11:04 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
None of that even comes close to explaining that Rocky didn't want home games on TV. You're grasping at straws here, not even long ones.

Rocky is smart enough to know that his dad's business model sucked. He couldn't wait to get home games on TV, because he's smart unlike his dad and knows that's how you build a fan base.

But it's cool, everyone here just keep trying to come up with reasons to hate Rocky and he'll just continue to spend far more than any other team in the league...

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Pepe Silvia

vCash: 1344
lol man, you need to chill out. if you can prove that rocky was dead set on airing home games on tv, then i'll be convinced.

based on what i've read, mcdonough deserves the credit and is the one who convinced rocky to show home games.

no where did i ever state that i dislike rocky. i'm grateful for everything he's done. i'm aware of how much he spends. i said bill was the cheap POS, not rocky.

i didn't realize you were butt buddies with rocky. you need to learn that not everyone is gonna agree with what you say on every thread....

calling people idiots for not believing everything you say is childish. you on the dot or something?

Pepe Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
None of that even comes close to explaining that Rocky didn't want home games on TV. You're grasping at straws here, not even long ones.

Rocky is smart enough to know that his dad's business model sucked. He couldn't wait to get home games on TV, because he's smart unlike his dad and knows that's how you build a fan base.

But it's cool, everyone here just keep trying to come up with reasons to hate Rocky and he'll just continue to spend far more than any other team in the league...
I don't think anyone is hating on Rocky, people just aren't buying it when he says he is losing money.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Rexy

Quote:
I hope you don't really believe any of that. It's just something you can say when you fudge the numbers so you have an argument going into negotiations such as this one.

As far as being among the owners wanting to decrease the player share, anyone ever think that:

A) He cares about the health of the league on a whole. Remember, he's in business with 29 other owners, he can't just be thinking about what's best for him

B) A cap that's more affordable for more teams could mean less revenue sharing that the Hawks need to pay into, which means more money that he can be put into scouting, development, etc.
I was being sarcastic.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
hawksfan50

So the upshot of this is that ROCKY while "losing money" willnot spend to the cap but ILLITCH in DET will --so they get PARISE and SUTER--we get zilch?

I think this sums it up succintly.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
So the upshot of this is that ROCKY while "losing money" willnot spend to the cap but ILLITCH in DET will --so they get PARISE and SUTER--we get zilch?

Yep, great post.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
lol man, you need to chill out.

i didn't realize you were butt buddies with rocky. you need to learn that not everyone is gonna agree with what you say on every thread....

calling people idiots for not believing everything you say is childish. you on the dot or something?
LOL...telling me to chill out, then being the one that makes it all personal.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:34 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
I was being sarcastic.
I thought you were, but it's hard to tell just reading type. My apologies, then.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Hawkscap

The story was Bill promised his dad Arthur that he would never put the games on TV. Rocky never made such a promise to Bill.

My point in the open letter was that McD was the only guy who could pull off the WGN partnership. Putting the home games on CSN was a no brainer since they already owned a piece off the station.

Hawkscap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post

We don't need 2 more $6+ mil players, unless you want to trade Kane and/or Keith.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I don't know how this thread became a Rocky **** fest. It's about the cap, ect. We all know Rocky makes a ton of money. Part of this is due to his situation, owning the UC (some owners don't own the stadium they pay rent to). Owning the beverage company, parking, ect.

Question is are the Blackhawks profitable as a stand alone business with current expenses. Probably but who knows and maybe that margin is getting squeezed with the escalating cap/guaranteed contracts. Other owners may not have as good as Rocky in terms of generating revenue from all aspects of the business. Rocky may even feel all sources of revenue should not be taken in to consideration as they are unique to his family business.

I think the owners want closer to a 50/50 split with the players. Then you have Fehr on the other side so this is probably going to suck.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
We don't need 2 more $6+ mil players, unless you want to trade Kane and/or Keith.
I would glady see them move Kane if that meant bringing in Parise. He's a far better player IMO.

Of course, that's an unlikely longshot. Though i guess Pierre McGuire mentioned Chicago as one of his 3 or 4 most likely destinations, surprisingly.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I would glady see them move Kane if that meant bringing in Parise. He's a far better player IMO.

Of course, that's an unlikely longshot. Though i guess Pierre McGuire mentioned Chicago as one of his 3 or 4 most likely destinations, surprisingly.
IMO, if you can sign Parise July 1st you do it. If that means you get to shop Kane for an ungodly return, then so be it.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
IMO, if you can sign Parise July 1st you do it. If that means you get to shop Kane for an ungodly return, then so be it.
Agreed, as Biggie Smalls would say, "squeeze first, ask questions last". If we can sign either Parise or Suter, do it, then worry about creating space through trades.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If I remember correctly, Peter Wirtz was next in line to run the team but when Rocky pushed hard to televise home games he stepped aside out of respect to his deceased father's wishes.

Did he do it as some grand gesture to Hawks fans? Hell no. It's a sound business decision. I also heard some moron tell me he doesn't have a seat set aside for him and uses a folding chair because "he doesn't want to take a seat away from a fan." Right, because that fan would pony up $200 to sit there.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
digdug41982

Yup, at first it was said it would be Peter and I knew all about him so I was pissed but a little later they changed it and Peter went to take over other parts of their businesses.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
100% agreed, but it's not going to happen.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Hawks lose money? I'm sure they do, it would be stupid if they wouldn't lose money. Taxes and stuff like this.
Does Wirtz lose money? Hell no, he makes more money during 1 day than we do combined in 25 years...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
lol man, you need to chill out. if you can prove that rocky was dead set on airing home games on tv, then i'll be convinced.

based on what i've read, mcdonough deserves the credit and is the one who convinced rocky to show home games.

no where did i ever state that i dislike rocky. i'm grateful for everything he's done. i'm aware of how much he spends. i said bill was the cheap POS, not rocky.

literally the worst logic I've ever heard.

"So i heard rocky didn't want to air games on tv"

-"really, well the games are on tv, so where is your proof"

"you have to prove to me that he wanted them on tv"

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
It's pitiful that he's playing that card.
Who cares? It's not your money.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Pepe Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
literally the worst logic I've ever heard.

"So i heard rocky didn't want to air games on tv"

-"really, well the games are on tv, so where is your proof"

"you have to prove to me that he wanted them on tv"
dang wish i was as smart as you lol

again, mcdonough was the one responsible for getting the games on tv

Old
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Who cares? It's not your money.

Crying poor while raking in money hand over fist shows that Rocky isn't the arch angel of Chicago sports that some want to make him out to be.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Pepe Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Crying poor while raking in money hand over fist shows that Rocky isn't the arch angel of Chicago sports that some want to make him out to be.
thank you sir, thank you. i like rocky, but people need to stop being so naive

Old
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Amen.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:12 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
I completely agree. I just think the cries from posters calling him 'cheap' and such are pretty naive.

Also, claims he didn't want the home games on TV...and then hired the guy that used games on television as the main tool to make his team one of the biggest national brands in sports to be his president...also naive.