HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz signs with Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 10:15 AM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Not specifically at you, but, Schultz will sign with the team that will give him top minutes...and Detroit will not be that place.
As of today, that's an outdated perspective. We currently have one player - Kronwall - who can rightfully demand top 4 minutes. Quincey, White, Smith, Ericsson, Kindl...all of those guys can as easily be a #5 as they could be a #3.

If Schultz can start talking to teams as of June 1st, then maybe there's a reason the Wings had Lidstrom announce his retirement yesterday. Can't for the life of me remember a time when a player of Nick's stature announced his retirement in the middle of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

I think we al lmay be misinformed (myself included) on when Schultz can talk to teams. I read a Bob McKenzie tweet that said only ANA has negotiating rights to Schults right now. On June 24th Schultz is free to talk to any team (assuming no deal was struck with ANA) but can't formally sign until July 1

Old
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
As of today, that's an outdated perspective.
Agreed

Old
06-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsportsmanlike View Post
I think we al lmay be misinformed (myself included) on when Schultz can talk to teams. I read a Bob McKenzie tweet that said only ANA has negotiating rights to Schults right now. On June 24th Schultz is free to talk to any team (assuming no deal was struck with ANA) but can't formally sign until July 1
Yeah, that is my understanding.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
As of today, that's an outdated perspective. We currently have one player - Kronwall - who can rightfully demand top 4 minutes. Quincey, White, Smith, Ericsson, Kindl...all of those guys can as easily be a #5 as they could be a #3.

If Schultz can start talking to teams as of June 1st, then maybe there's a reason the Wings had Lidstrom announce his retirement yesterday. Can't for the life of me remember a time when a player of Nick's stature announced his retirement in the middle of the Stanley Cup Finals.
Yeah, the first thing I thought of when the Lidstrom press conference was announced was how weird the timing was, as it was clearly going to steal a lot of thunder from the Cup finals. That obviously wasn't Nick's intention as he's too humble to want to hijack the Finals, so I've been trying to figure out why they didn't wait until after the Finals to have the conference. Nick could have let only Holland know and then sit on the info until the end of the Finals, then schedule the presser. So there must have been an organizational reason/benefit to having the announcement yesterday, and maybe getting in on the Schultz kid is that reason.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
His agent I believe said he wanted top minutes...

And I don't think he would have in anaheim. If its the money he wants, then top minutes reflect that.
Hey I think Edmonton has a great shot, but it's an ELC so money can't be much of a factor. If we were talking about burying him in the A then I agree we'd have no shot. Babs likes to split his d-men mins evenly and he gives younger guys like E tougher match ups. So I think you are underestimating the value of having a coach like Babcock. We can make a strong case that Schultz will get 20+ mins and be given a chance to grow into a top 2 spot where he'd get tough mins.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Hey I think Edmonton has a great shot, but it's an ELC so money can't be much of a factor. If we were talking about burying him in the A then I agree we'd have no shot. Babs likes to split his d-men mins evenly and he gives younger guys like E tougher match ups. So I think you are underestimating the value of having a coach like Babcock. We can make a strong case that Schultz will get 20+ mins and be given a chance to grow into a top 2 spot where he'd get tough mins.
I agree with this. Essentially every team will offer Schultz the max ELC so his decision will come down to opportunity (playing time, respeonsibility etc.) and where he wants to live. In my opinion, DET can offer just as much as any other team right now. The D is wide open this season, maybe for the first time in my life, and the top spots are all up for grabs.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
His agent I believe said he wanted top minutes...

And I don't think he would have in anaheim. If its the money he wants, then top minutes reflect that.
Do you really think "top minutes" = "number 1 minutes"? I highly doubt Schultz wants to be baptized by fire, playing 25+ minutes per night against the NHL's elite.

My guess is "top minutes" starts and ends with first unit PP minutes and top 4 ES minutes. The Wings can offer that, given the questionable powerplay prowess of even our current "number one" defenseman.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:

Patrick Roy did in 2003.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Patrick Roy did in 2003.
Now Patrick "Statue of Liberty" Roy is a guy who I will completely believe announced his retirement during the finals to draw max attention to himself. He's kind of the anti-Lidstrom in so many ways, other than on-ice accomplishments.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

we need a young dman like schultz almost as much as we need a top flight forward

offer stuarts rights to anaheim in exchange or offer kindl for him but either way we really could benefit from adding this kid going forward

Old
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Now Patrick "Statue of Liberty" Roy is a guy who I will completely believe announced his retirement during the finals to draw max attention to himself. He's kind of the anti-Lidstrom in so many ways, other than on-ice accomplishments.
Exactly. Roy is a prima donna compared to Lidstrom, so I can see why his retirement announcement was a "look at me!" festival.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
we need a young dman like schultz almost as much as we need a top flight forward

offer stuarts rights to anaheim in exchange or offer kindl for him but either way we really could benefit from adding this kid going forward
I like the Stuart's rights idea, it also keeps him away from San Jose at least for a little bit. Clear both teams have long-shots of getting both players, I would have to say we have a much better chance of signing Brad Stuart at this point than the Ducks do with Schultz. I don't know that either would sign but it seems like a hey, why not situation.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Booyah!

I am betting that Holland already has a deal in place, most likely it involves Schultz.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah! View Post
I am betting that Holland already has a deal in place, most likely it involves Schultz.
Rights to Stuart+prospect+pick?

Old
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
getdatzet
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Rights to Stuart+prospect+pick?
I am new to this, but wouldn´t a pick and a prospect be overpaying for the rights to a player in Schultz´ situation?

Old
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdatzet View Post
I am new to this, but wouldn´t a pick and a prospect be overpaying for the rights to a player in Schultz´ situation?
It would be severe overpayment, all they should offer is Stuart's negotiation rights. Neither player seems intent on signing with the current team. Stuart will land in their division though so they should be very interested in seeing if they could get him locked up before he winds up on San Jose, LA and I actually think both Phoenix and Colorado could be dark horses certainly a lot closer to home and they need to spend a ton of money to hit the floor.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:56 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdatzet View Post
So many teams will be trying to sign Schultz and they'll probably negotiate for his rights with Anaheim before July 1st. Kind of like negotiating rights for an RFA. I may be wrong, but he could sign on with a team before July 1st if they have his rights.

Stuart is set on moving back to California and Anaheim could be a possible destination. Add a prospect who isn't a sure thing but has promise (Ferraro type) and a late round pick.

Anaheim would want at least some assets in return for losing one of the best prospects out there.

Anyone know why he doesn't want to sign with Anaheim? Does he want to explore other options or is it because he doesn't want to play in Anaheim?

Old
06-01-2012, 02:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
So many teams will be trying to sign Schultz and they'll probably negotiate for his rights with Anaheim before July 1st. Kind of like negotiating rights for an RFA. I may be wrong, but he could sign on with a team before July 1st if they have his rights.

Stuart is set on moving back to California and Anaheim could be a possible destination. Add a prospect who isn't a sure thing but has promise (Ferraro type) and a late round pick.

Anaheim would want at least some assets in return for losing one of the best prospects out there.

Anyone know why he doesn't want to sign with Anaheim? Does he want to explore other options or is it because he doesn't want to play in Anaheim?

Well he already broke off negotiations with Anaheim so they are going to lose him for nothing.

The feeling is he wants to play for one of the Western Canadian teams.

I see no problem with sending Stuart's rights for him, but that is it. The only way Brad Stuart returns to the fold is if the 3 California teams low-ball him and pretty insultingly. Even then I would expect someone like Phoenix, Colorado, and Vancouver who are easier commutes to offer him a nice fat contract.

They are both losing these assets, it makes sense, why should we throw a prospect on top of that, Anaheim is much closer to a destination we know Stuart is interested in than the uncertainty Schultz offers all Chelios bragging aside.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Harnessed in Slums

I can see doing something like sending them Stuart's rights for Schultz's rights and then if we can sign Schultz we send more, whether it be roster player, prospect or pick. It'd be well worth it if we could sign him before July 1th.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

I've no idea how Schultz looks but is he better than Smith atm...babcock doesn't really trust smith out there so Schultz would have to be quite a lot better than smith for him to get "guaranteed minutes" no?

Old
06-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Booyah!

Babcock trusts Smith, if it was up to Babcock Smith would've been a Wings all year. He likes his skills and tenacity.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah! View Post
Babcock trusts Smith, if it was up to Babcock Smith would've been a Wings all year. He likes his skills and tenacity.
He wanted him up but he did say in his season wrap up interviews that Smith still makes a lot of mistakes. He won't say he gets a roster spot for next year a lot of that is to push him, but there is a reason he didn't suit the kid up against Nashville.

Schultz was more consistent in College than Smith to answer the previous question, he produces without taking as many chances. I don't think he is as far along as Smith is now having played a couple years pro, but at a similar point I think Schultz is slightly farther along although he doesn't have the physical bite that Smith has and might not have the ultimate ceiling, but he has top 4 talent.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Well he already broke off negotiations with Anaheim so they are going to lose him for nothing.

The feeling is he wants to play for one of the Western Canadian teams.

I see no problem with sending Stuart's rights for him, but that is it. The only way Brad Stuart returns to the fold is if the 3 California teams low-ball him and pretty insultingly. Even then I would expect someone like Phoenix, Colorado, and Vancouver who are easier commutes to offer him a nice fat contract.

They are both losing these assets, it makes sense, why should we throw a prospect on top of that, Anaheim is much closer to a destination we know Stuart is interested in than the uncertainty Schultz offers all Chelios bragging aside.
Yeah, Stuart's rights for Schultz's rights. I'd be willing to throw in a low pick contingent on Schultz signing here, but that's about it.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
NHLNUT04
HFBoards Sponsor

the Edmonton Oilers should be all over this.