HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan McDonagh & Dan Girardi

Old
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Besides the fact that there's clear homerism to your post.

Yakupov hasn't played a freaking NHL game!

Heck, you haven't even drafted him yet.
how many 1st overalls in the last 10 years have been worse then Girardi?

2001: Kovalchuk
2002: Nash
2003: Fleury
2004: Ovechkin
2005: Crosby
2006: Johnson
2007: Kane
2008: Stamkos
2009: Tavares
2010: Hall
2011: RNH

Every player on that list other then Fleury has more value then Girardi.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
how many 1st overalls in the last 10 years have been worse then Girardi?

2001: Kovalchuk
2002: Nash
2003: Fleury
2004: Ovechkin
2005: Crosby
2006: Johnson
2007: Kane
2008: Stamkos
2009: Tavares
2010: Hall
2011: RNH

Every player on that list other then Fleury has more value then Girardi.
I was just pointing out that he hasn't even played a game yet. Let's wait till that.
and I wouldn't trade McDonagh for Eberle. IMO a player like McDonagh is way more valuable.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
I was just pointing out that he hasn't even played a game yet. Let's wait till that.
and I wouldn't trade McDonagh for Eberle. IMO a player like McDonagh is way more valuable.
HELL NO. Eberle is very good don't get me wrong. However, McDonagh has vaulted to our #1 spot and has a ceiling that is sky high. 7th most even strength points for a defenseman in the NHL. No thank you.

*Edit: Didn't realize Eberle had almost a ppg this year. Still feel the same but damn, kids good.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 05-31-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
No. Eberle is top 20 value-wise in the league. When did McDonagh get this overrated?

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:34 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
No. Eberle is top 20 value-wise in the league. When did McDonagh get this overrated?
Probably because he's a ****ing good player. As an outsider, I value McDonagh more than Eberle.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
It really depends on what you value.

McDonagh is one of the best young defensemen in the league. If you believe good defense wins games, you take McDonagh. If you tend to put more emphasis on offense you take Eberle.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:56 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Right, no one saw him play in Canada where every game is televised and everyone watches every playoff game. Girardi and Staal saw similar ice time. Girardi is the top defenseman in general for your club. MDZ sees more offensive time and Staal sees more defensive time. McDonagh is the #2 defenseman for the Rangers and would be on most clubs. I'm not trying to disparage him, but saying you wouldn't move him for Giroux or he's as good as Pietrangelo (one of the top 3 defensemen in the game right now) is just ridiculous.
I like how you tell us who the top defenseman is for our club. Staal in the playoffs looked exactly like he did last year and Girardi was only our third best defenseman in the playoffs.

Girardi got more PP time because he's a righty. Girardi was horrendous defensively in many situations where McDonagh's skating bailed him out. McDonagh singlehandedly breaking up two breakaways in the Devils series comes to mind.

Last edited by iamitter: 05-31-2012 at 08:02 PM.
iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
EDM is in the need for some dmen so what would it take to get two of
McDo, MDZ, or Girardi.

2013 1st
Hemsky
Marincin
prospect

Would that work
Hall and Marincin for Girardi and Del Zotto.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Hmm it's perhaps because he gets the toughest defensive assignments in the league? Or that he averages 25+ MPG on a top defensive team? Or that he is one of most fluent skaters in the game?

HFBoards and it's obsession with the point stat.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Right, no one saw him play in Canada where every game is televised and everyone watches every playoff game. Girardi and Staal saw similar ice time. Girardi is the top defenseman in general for your club. MDZ sees more offensive time and Staal sees more defensive time. McDonagh is the #2 defenseman for the Rangers and would be on most clubs. I'm not trying to disparage him, but saying you wouldn't move him for Giroux or he's as good as Pietrangelo (one of the top 3 defensemen in the game right now) is just ridiculous.
What the hell?

McDonagh is the best defenseman on the team? Girardi is good, but he's had a career year playing with McDonagh.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I'd rather have McDonagh than Eberle if I were an Oilers fan if for nothing else than the embarrassing riches they already have at forward. They have decent--but untried--defensemen coming up but no one that's going to be as good as McDonagh. They'll still have Hall, Yak, and RNH along with everyone else at forward. I don't think the Rangers need offense as badly as the Oilers need D though.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Sniper99
STEPAN!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
No.

To get two of those, it would absolutely cost one of Hall, RNH, Eberle, or Yakupov, and I'm pretty certain that the Rangers would pass even then.
I doubt that. I'm sure if you through Edmonton's 1st('13) along with Hemsky and maybe something else you could get a couple of those guys. I think you'd be over paying if you had to throw a guy like RNH or Eberle into the offer.

Sniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper99 View Post
I doubt that. I'm sure if you through Edmonton's 1st('13) along with Hemsky and maybe something else you could get a couple of those guys. I think you'd be over paying if you had to throw a guy like RNH or Eberle into the offer.
What?

You really think it is fair, value-wise, to trade Hemsky and a future 1st for TWO of McDonagh, MDZ, and Girardi--all of whom are considerably better than any defenseman on Edmonton's roster.

Sigh.

I'm not even a Rangers fan--in fact, I hate the Rangers--but you're either badly misinformed about those players, or a bit confused about positional value.

Honestly, I doubt most Rangers fans would trade McDonagh for Eberle straight up. They should. But I feel like they wouldn't. But if you take into account Girardi's / MDZ's value, then it really isn't close. Edmonton would have to add significantly--like, Klefbom / Marincin just to get in the ballpark. You can't make it work without one of the big-four assets.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:19 PM
we want the cup 94

Quote:
McDo, MDZ, or Girardi.

2013 1st
Hemsky
Marincin
prospect

Would that work
lol dude really MCD alone has to be in the top 6 in the league . kid played 50 + minutes in a triple ot game in the playoffs .

It would start with your 1st and end with your top prospect and top player . add in MDZ or Girardi .. throw in your 1st for the nest year and your second best player and prospect .

The only player in the NHL i see Mcd getting traded to would be Tampa for Stamkos . i DONT think slats would move that kid for anyone .
He is just that damn good and only what 21

we want the cup 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want the cup 94 View Post
lol dude really MCD alone has to be in the top 6 in the league . kid played 50 + minutes in a triple ot game in the playoffs .

It would start with your 1st and end with your top prospect and top player . add in MDZ or Girardi .. throw in your 1st for the nest year and your second best player and prospect .

The only player in the NHL i see Mcd getting traded to would be Tampa for Stamkos . i DONT think slats would move that kid for anyone .
lol.

He would definitely be moved for:

Malkin
Stamkos
Crosby
Giroux
Toews
Kopitar
Tavares

And that's not to mention the multiple d-men I would take over him (Doughty, Pietrangelo, OEL, etc.).

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
lol.

He would definitely be moved for:

Malkin
Stamkos
Crosby
Giroux
Toews
Kopitar
Tavares

And that's not to mention the multiple d-men I would take over him (Doughty, Pietrangelo, OEL, etc.).
Maybe in a value vacuum. But the truth is we already have a #1 center and McDonagh is our best defenseman.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Affinity

Quote:
The coach who plays Girardi more disagree's with you. As do people who watched McDonagh get beat at times in the playoffs while Girardi was rock solid. McDonagh may have more upside, but he's not better now. Still can't believe you got him for Gomez...
So I guess you missed that part of the game where Girardi passed the puck to the opposition right in front of our goalie? McD was better than Girardi these playoffs. They were both tremendous but McD was certainly better.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Son of a Dawson
Bo Knows Hockey

Quote:

Please, give me some of what your smoking!!! Honestly, one playoff run accompanied by a great regular season. Stamkos!!!! Please quit while your ahead, my goodness!! Steven Stamkos, do you realize what you are typing! //////// end. In terms of defense, he is and will never be a Nicklas Lidstrom.

Son of a Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:27 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
McDo, MDZ, or Girardi.

2013 1st
Hemsky
Marincin
prospect

Would that work
You can't be serious. You want a TWO top-pairing guys(granted, MDZ is probably a 3 or 4... just not a big fan of his) and are only willing to give up your secondary assets for them? Even if you only wanted ONE of McD or Girardi you would have to offer up one of the big names. However even then I don't know if the Rangers would pull the trigger.

McDonagh-Girardi is probably the best shut-down pairing in the NHL. Why mess with that when you have other assets that can be offered up to address the need for scoring?

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I think there are quite a few posters here who don't even know who Ryan McDonagh is.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:11 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Quote:
No. To get two of those, it would absolutely cost one of Hall, RNH, Eberle, or Yakupov, ...
Correct, and since McDonagh off the table, these 2 (MDZ, or Girardi) + Stepan + would mean RNH +, nothing less.

Quote:
and I'm pretty certain that the Rangers would pass even then.
could do basically Girardi for Yakupov, minor add ons.

Could do MDZ + Girardi (no stepan) + NYR 2012 3rd + 2013 3rd for
Yakupov + 2012 2nd + 2013 2nd + Martin Marincin + Martin Gernat

It would hurt to lose 2 established D but we'd get sniper Yak, and another pick we can use/bundle w/our 28 and move up.
We also flip next yrs 3 for a 2.
And Marincin + Gernat are nice tall 6'5" lefty counterparts to NYR Noreau + Ceresniak who have real potential.

I would push hard for this last one as a good move for now with high long term upside, but Oiler fans want all their snipers, even Yak, unless there is an insane, massive overcompensation, not reasonable overpayment.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
You can't be serious. You want a TWO top-pairing guys(granted, MDZ is probably a 3 or 4... just not a big fan of his) and are only willing to give up your secondary assets for them? Even if you only wanted ONE of McD or Girardi you would have to offer up one of the big names. However even then I don't know if the Rangers would pull the trigger.

McDonagh-Girardi is probably the best shut-down pairing in the NHL. Why mess with that when you have other assets that can be offered up to address the need for scoring?
Pls see my last post.
The offer on behalf of Edmonton is wholly unacceptable offering a 2013, not a 2012 1st.
Only partial disagreement on your comment is "MDZ is probably a 3 or 4" in that that is true of his current status on Rangers, but he would be top pair on most other teams.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
''Elite D corps'' Corps, like plural, meaning he's a part of it.
"Corps" is singular.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:

Im kind of ashamed to be on these boards when I see posts like this.

Rangers fans, fact is most fans outside of the Atlantic division and MTL fans, don't know a thing about McDonagh. Also, making ludicrous statements such as I wouldn't trade him for any one but Stamkos is absurd. They don't help to prove the point.

Those who watched the Rangers these playoffs would know that Pierre, Eddie, Keith, JR and even MILBURY all referred to McDonagh as a top 15-20 defenseman in this league after only being in the NHL for a year and a half. Pierre and JR even went as far to say as he will win a Norris in a few years.

Be happy with what we have and don't worry about arguing with fans of other teams who either A. have no idea who he even is, or B. Are just jealous and want to dump on him.

For those of you who really don't know who McDonagh is or much about him, he is the best defenseman on the Rangers (Yes over Girardi and Staal), he has skating capabilities that I haven't seen on a Rangers defenseman since Brian Leetch, I believe he averaged the most ice time per game of any player in the playoffs (or damn close to it), during the regular season he was 7th in ES scoring for ALL defenseman (he doesn't play the PP yet), all while having slightly over 1 pro season under his belt.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:29 AM
JWells16

So Rangers fans are willing to move McDonagh for top 10 talent in the game... great.

What's the point of this thread then? The Pens are putting Kris Letang on the board, and we really want to see your offer. However, we're only willing to accept the following players:
Alex Ovechkin (maybe)
Steven Stamkos
Claude Giroux
Henrik Lundqvist

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote