HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Question about New York Sports

Old
06-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
I'm Rangers, Jets, and Mets. Though I do root for the Giants and Yankees in the playoffs because they are New York. Jets and Giants aren't a rivalry. Same goes for Mets and Yankees. I don't consider out of conference teams to be rivals. So I'll root for them.

Islanders on the other hand can go **** themselves. I will never root for that organization in my existence. Rivalries don't get any more tense than in Hockey and we are division rivals as well. It's obvious why as a Ranger fan, rooting for the Islanders is absolutely treacherous.

And the Knicks can go **** themselves as well. The NBA is garbage. I'll never root for any NBA team. Although I do appreciate Spurs and Thunder basketball, they play the right way.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Dangleberry

Rangers, Giants, Knicks, Red Bulls, Steelers in that order.

Baseball is boring.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
I'm Rangers, Jets, and Mets. Though I do root for the Giants and Yankees in the playoffs because they are New York. Jets and Giants aren't a rivalry. Same goes for Mets and Yankees. I don't consider out of conference teams to be rivals. So I'll root for them.

Islanders on the other hand can go **** themselves. I will never root for that organization in my existence. Rivalries don't get any more tense than in Hockey and we are division rivals as well. It's obvious why as a Ranger fan, rooting for the Islanders is absolutely treacherous.

And the Knicks can go **** themselves as well. The NBA is garbage. I'll never root for any NBA team. Although I do appreciate Spurs and Thunder basketball, they play the right way.
Why should the Knicks go **** themselves????

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Why should the Knicks go **** themselves????
Let's trade half the team for an impending free agent, Carmelo Anthony.

They don't play basketball, they play street ball. I've never seen a more non-coachable team that actually has some talent. 1 playoff win in 11 years. The NBA as a whole is a joke. More of a ***** sport than baseball.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Let's trade half the team for an impending free agent, Carmelo Anthony.

They don't play basketball, they play street ball. I've never seen a more non-coachable team that actually has some talent. 1 playoff win in 11 years. The NBA as a whole is a joke. More of a ***** sport than baseball.
Um.......

I'm not going to get into an argument with you. You must just not appriciate NBA basketball, which is fine, we all have our own opinions.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Um.......

I'm not going to get into an argument with you. You must just not appriciate NBA basketball, which is fine, we all have our own opinions.
I understand. And yes, you are right, I don't appreciate it at all.

College Basketball is an actual team sport. I enjoy watching it. The NBA is a crock of ****.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
I understand. And yes, you are right, I don't appreciate it at all.

College Basketball is an actual team sport. I enjoy watching it. The NBA is a crock of ****.
Yes, I do agree college basketball is better "old-school" and "fundamental" basketball.

I love the NBA and love the Knicks, sure it is not the greatest of "fundamental" basketball, but if you don't appriciate it, I guess I could see where your coming from.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
EEDAWGZ

Knicks are the Rangers cousins , but they have been pissing me off For the last decade

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:11 PM
vbman09

vCash: 100
I am a Rangers, Jets, Knicks, and Red Bulls fan, I stopped watching baseball after the last strike, but I grew up a Yankee fan.

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:33 PM
McMonster

Rangers/Mets/Jets/Knicks... kinda wish there was only one team for each sport so we didn't all have weird combos.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Ranger/Giants/Mets

Not a yankee hater, and not a Jet hater either.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Affinity

Everyone covered the NYC split. In NJ it splits between NY sports teams and Philly sports teams. You can find many people who like weird combinations like Yankees, Eagles and Islanders and then you have the odd Steelers/Cowboys/49ers fans. But most of the time people are Giant, Yankee and Devil fans.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

It depends when you grew up and whether you're a bandwagon jumper or not. Brooklyn, Queens and LI leaned more towards the Mets/Jets until the Jets moved and the Mets went down while the Yankees went up. The Rangers dominate the whole metropolitan area more than any other team in their sport. Baseball and football might be 60-40 or 70-30 but hockey is 90-5-5.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Jax1166

I don't get why so many of you like the Knicks.
I ****ing hate that team....I think the NBA is a garbage league like WWE...the Knicks a loudmouth overrated team that gets disproportionate media attention in NY for accomplishing nothing.

They are our rival, they ruin our ice, steal our backpages...and I wish they'd go.

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
I don't get why so many of you like the Knicks.
I ****ing hate that team....I think the NBA is a garbage league like WWE...the Knicks a loudmouth overrated team that gets disproportionate media attention in NY for accomplishing nothing.

They are our rival, they ruin our ice, steal our backpages...and I wish they'd go.
Finally! A man that knows what he's talking about. I'm with you buddy. Knicks can **** themselves.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Rangers2319

Rangers and Ravens, weird combo ehh?

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:11 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

If you asked me about 6-7 years ago it was:

Yankees>>>>>>>>>>>Kinicks>>Rangers

Now it's morphed into:

Rangers>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yankees/Knicks

06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Rangers/Giants/Mets/Knicks in that order.

It was was passed down from my grandfather, to my mom, to me.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:09 PM
RangersDif

Well I used to live in CT so I'm gonna feel free to answer what I like anyway...

Rangers/Yankees/Knicks/Giants... Djurgården.

RangersDif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

Rangers/Red Bulls/Knicks/Giants/Mets

Don't care for the football/baseball, but hope for their success

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:16 PM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

Rangers and Giants. I'll watch the Red Bulls and Knicks from time to time. I don't care much about baseball, but I'll watch the Yankees and Mets if there's nothing else on

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozzy View Post
I'm from a small town south of Toronto, and was just wondering something about the fans of New York. How does it work, I mean if you're from anywhere in Ontario, generally you'll find Toronto Maple Leafs, Raptors, and Blue Jays fans.
Obviously New York has at least two teams in each sport, if you count New Jersey as well. So how does it work? Is it like, Rangers, Yankees, Giants fans vs Islanders, Mets, Jets fans?
How is split up? Is it by neighborhood, or NYC vs the surrounding area?
Or is it basically, you live in New York, and you mix and match?

- Curious Canadian.
While you find sports fans in other countries aligning themselves with teams because of location, social class, or even religion sometimes, NY is all over the place. Because they were established teams, Knicks fans, were usually Ranfers fans, were usually Giants fans. People will lump the Yankees, instead of the Mets, into that group but that wouldn't be as accurate.

NY used to be a National League town with the Giants and Dodgers. When they moved to California, the Mets came into existence to capture those National League fans (the orange in the Mets colors comes from the Giants, the blue from the Dodgers) and it worked! From '62 - '69 the Mets were real bad - pathetic at the start - yet they still outdrew the Yankees. Through the years, both teams would get more popular than the other, when they were good, and they weren't typically very good at the same time. In the late '90's, the Yanks sought to really establish their brand by spending bigger than ever on players and they had a lot of success on the field and in the stands. We'll have to see what happens in the coming years.

Islander fans are really only on L.I. But when they were great, they had fans all over town but the closer you got to the Island, like Queens, the more fans you'd see. The Jets used to play in Querns and had their training facility on L.I., so they were obviously more popular there but you would always have Giants fans everywhere. I remember there being more Devils fans around NY a decade ago but now they're really non-existent in NY. It'll be interesting to see how the Nets do. If they win, they can become a very successful franchise in NY.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Dangleberry

Didn't the Nets reach the Finals in 2004? They couldn't even draw enough to fill their arena, same issue the Devils have. I'm already starting to see Knicks fans converting to the Nets so the move may have been one of the franchise's smartest decisions.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:30 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
The NFL is weird like that. I come across people all the time who are fans of a random NFL team (Cardinals, 49ers, Chiefs, Redskins, Raiders, Bears, Eagles etc...). But for hockey/baseball/basketball, it's almost always a local team except when there's a hot or hyped up national team
That is due to Directtv and the emergence of the sports packages. When I was a kid, I could watch the Mets or Yanks. Only time I got to see another team was on Monday Night Baseball and NBC's game of the Week on saturday. When I moved to LI and was able to get cable, I could get Braves games on TBS, and Cubs on WGN. I used to also get WSBK out of Boston, I remember the Celtics being on, not the Red Sox.

Football was the same. For the most part here in NY, you got the Jets and Giants game and Monday Night Football. Sunday Night Football didnt start until 1987 (I think).

Kids now can pretty much watch every team if there parents pay for the packages. I am a jr high teacher in nyc. Many of my students get the different packages and have a new favorite team each year and watch different teams every night.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:34 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
Didn't the Nets reach the Finals in 2004? They couldn't even draw enough to fill their arena, same issue the Devils have. I'm already starting to see Knicks fans converting to the Nets so the move may have been one of the franchise's smartest decisions.
I have always felt NY was a very fair-weather town when it comes to the Knicks and BBall. Whereas, NY is clearly a Yanks/Mets town in baseball, and a Giants/Jets town when it comes to football, it is more of a basketball town than a Knicks town. When they are good, that bandwagon fills up real fast. When they are bad, those bandwagoners will easily latch on to a temporary favorite based on popular players. Even if they do not buy the NBA package on cable, there are so many games on regular cable, that it is easy to follow another team. With that said, if the Nets are good and the Knicks are down, NY basketball fans will show up to Brooklyn to watch the better team.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote