HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snider Talks about Bryzgalov; Paul Holmgren “has to focus on the defense first.”

Old
06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
When has that stopped Homer before?
True, but at the same time, the Flyers are more than a defenseman away from being a Stanley Cup threat. There are some serious flaws with the team that need to be addressed before blowing the fortune on a defenseman. I think when Holmgren looks over this team, he sees those flaws as well.

Yes, we all know that the team needs at least one more defenseman. That's a given. But at the same time, I don't think Holmgren will blow things up or gut the team to acquire that one guy. I'm sure he's got a plan and I'm sure that he's got a defenseman that he's going to target. I just think he's going to make one of them under the radar moves that nobody saw coming.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
True, but at the same time, the Flyers are more than a defenseman away from being a Stanley Cup threat. There are some serious flaws with the team that need to be addressed before blowing the fortune on a defenseman. I think when Holmgren looks over this team, he sees those flaws as well.

Yes, we all know that the team needs at least one more defenseman. That's a given. But at the same time, I don't think Holmgren will blow things up or gut the team to acquire that one guy. I'm sure he's got a plan and I'm sure that he's got a defenseman that he's going to target. I just think he's going to make one of them under the radar moves that nobody saw coming.
I wouldn't be shocked if Luke Schenn is that guy. Not saying it's good, I'm just saying it wouldn't shock me.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

You mean the kind that shrewd GMs make in order to build contending teams? It takes a lot more intelligence, skill, and savvy to make an under-the-radar move that pays major dividends for your team than just simply throwing gobs of money at the biggest name on the free agent market. For example, I was hoping Homer would explore getting Nikita Nikitin from the Blues last offseason, especially after the acquisition of Bryzgalov. Why? Okay, admittedly, first it was his name that drew my attention. Then after I did more research I came around on the player himself. Nikitin represented a low-risk/high-reward investment, a player who hadn't even begun to scratch the surface of his NHL potential and could also double as something of a comrade countryman for Bryz on the blue line to help with his transition to the pressure cooker that is Philadelphia. Did I expect Nikitin, who was traded from St. Louis to Columbus early in the season, to flourish so spectacularly liked he did for the Blue Jackets? Not necessarily, but I certainly thought it was a possibility that he could develop into a top-4 defenseman given his size, skill set, and stats in the KHL/NHL/AHL. It's this type of player that Homer needs to identify, target, and acquire. Nikitin's skating, puck-moving, physicality, and booming shot (not to mention being right-handed) is what appealed to me originally, and I'm currently on the hunt for someone like him buried on an NHL team's roster or sitting in the minors waiting for an opportunity.

Some players who fit the under-the-radar mold that Homer should be after this offseason: Michael Stone (PHX), Jason Demers or Justin Braun (SJ), Radko Gudas (TB), Mark Alt or Danny Biega (CAR -- I caught a few Harvard games this year and think he's going to be really good). I'll post more as I come across them. Also, as we have discussed in previous threads, BCF16, I'd love if the Flyers could somehow acquire Zach Bogosian from Winnipeg.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Jason Demers was a disaster in SJ

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
in all my years of watching hockey I have never seen a bunch like this band wagon jump like these do. There is a certain element here that just relish's the fact that they can do better. If not tend the net then it's the GM who sucks. But for the most part the haters have been somewhat quiet do to the fact the team's future look's very bright with all the young talent here. But they just lurk in the weeds waiting to ***** at a moments notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Nice to read that the owner has a very good handle on the season, is optimistic and realistic and sees what needs to be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
on the money. Goaltending is a position most fans don't get. It's not like being a winger, you don't need the fans to cheer and give you adrenaline. YOU NEED FOCUS.

all this booing over fluky goals only breeds lack of concentration!

that and we had the most unlucky year with defensive injuries.

when bryz is confident, he's a tough goalie to score on...its that simple. Put your egos aside and root for the guy (to those who wanted vokoun lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Couldn't have said it better about the reactions to Bryz.
fantastic posts. completely agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i agree. and snider didn't blame the fans, he basically said were slightly impatient when it comes to the mess "they" made in goal. which they did and I'm glad he realizes and admits it.
agreed. twisting his words into 'it's the fans fault' is as ridiculous as twisting 'Hank wouldn't have gotten the Flyers to the finals' into 'so Bryzgalov=Lundqvist? Is that what you are trying to say?'

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Jason Demers was a disaster in SJ
Good, get him cheap and hope a change of scenery revives his career. That entire team seemed dysfunctional anyway. Dude has talent.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:52 PM
kyuss

I was hoping Homer would explore getting Nikita Nikitin from the Blues last offseason, especially after the acquisition of Bryzgalov. Why? Okay, admittedly, first it was his name that drew my attention. Then after I did more research I came around on the player himself. Nikitin represented a low-risk/high-reward investment, a player who hadn't even begun to scratch the surface of his NHL potential and could also double as something of a comrade countryman for Bryz on the blue line to help with his transition to the pressure cooker that is Philadelphia. Did I expect Nikitin, who was traded from St. Louis to Columbus early in the season, to flourish so spectacularly liked he did for the Blue Jackets? Not necessarily, but I certainly thought it was a possibility that he could develop into a top-4 defenseman given his size, skill set, and stats in the KHL/NHL/AHL. It's this type of player that Homer needs to identify, target, and acquire. Nikitin's skating, puck-moving, physicality, and booming shot (not to mention being right-handed) is what appealed to me originally, and I'm currently on the hunt for someone like him buried on an NHL team's roster or sitting in the minors waiting for an opportunity.

I still want him; eventhough he's actually a lefty.

kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
You mean the kind that shrewd GMs make in order to build contending teams? It takes a lot more intelligence, skill, and savvy to make an under-the-radar move that pays major dividends for your team than just simply throwing gobs of money at the biggest name on the free agent market. For example, I was hoping Homer would explore getting Nikita Nikitin from the Blues last offseason, especially after the acquisition of Bryzgalov. Why? Okay, admittedly, first it was his name that drew my attention. Then after I did more research I came around on the player himself. Nikitin represented a low-risk/high-reward investment, a player who hadn't even begun to scratch the surface of his NHL potential and could also double as something of a comrade countryman for Bryz on the blue line to help with his transition to the pressure cooker that is Philadelphia. Did I expect Nikitin, who was traded from St. Louis to Columbus early in the season, to flourish so spectacularly liked he did for the Blue Jackets? Not necessarily, but I certainly thought it was a possibility that he could develop into a top-4 defenseman given his size, skill set, and stats in the KHL/NHL/AHL. It's this type of player that Homer needs to identify, target, and acquire. Nikitin's skating, puck-moving, physicality, and booming shot (not to mention being right-handed) is what appealed to me originally, and I'm currently on the hunt for someone like him buried on an NHL team's roster or sitting in the minors waiting for an opportunity.

Some players who fit the under-the-radar mold that Homer should be after this offseason: Michael Stone (PHX), Jason Demers or Justin Braun (SJ), Radko Gudas (TB), Mark Alt or Danny Biega (CAR -- I caught a few Harvard games this year and think he's going to be really good). I'll post more as I come across them. Also, as we have discussed in previous threads, BCF16, I'd love if the Flyers could somehow acquire Zach Bogosian from Winnipeg.
Oh, Bogosian would be a superb acquisition if Holmgren could pull it off. I doubt Winnipeg lets Bogosian go now that he seems to have turned the corner in his development (hard to believe that he could have been acquired last year as Cheveldayoff was looking at moving Bogosian).

The guy I'd like Holmgren to target is Ian Cole in St. Louis. There's a perfect defender who could come to Philadelphia and fit in like a glove. To me, he's a guy who's on the cusp as you mentioned.

Another guy to look at is Nick Petrecki in San Jose. He's another guy who seems to be on the cusp as well. I don't think he'll ever be the "puck moving" guy that people want, but he can certainly be a shut down guy who plays upwards of 20 minutes a game.

The last player I'd like Holmgren to take a "chance" on who's also ready to break through is Maxim Goncharov in Phoenix. I know Brandon Gormley is the "sexy" choice, but Goncharov (to me anyways) is another guy that's about to break through and with OEL, Schlemko, Yandle, Klesla, Rundblad, Morris, and Aucoin ahead of him on the depth chart, it makes sense to go after a guy like Goncharov. I know that he's hit some rough spots in his development, but there isn't a lot to dislike about the skills that Goncharov brings to the table.

Anyways, I suppose I could go on and on about who the Flyers should target, but there's lots of good young defenders who are on the cusp that could probably be had for very little.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Oh, Bogosian would be a superb acquisition if Holmgren could pull it off. I doubt Winnipeg lets Bogosian go now that he seems to have turned the corner in his development (hard to believe that he could have been acquired last year as Cheveldayoff was looking at moving Bogosian).

The guy I'd like Holmgren to target is Ian Cole in St. Louis. There's a perfect defender who could come to Philadelphia and fit in like a glove. To me, he's a guy who's on the cusp as you mentioned.

Another guy to look at is Nick Petrecki in San Jose. He's another guy who seems to be on the cusp as well. I don't think he'll ever be the "puck moving" guy that people want, but he can certainly be a shut down guy who plays upwards of 20 minutes a game.

The last player I'd like Holmgren to take a "chance" on who's also ready to break through is Maxim Goncharov in Phoenix. I know Brandon Gormley is the "sexy" choice, but Goncharov (to me anyways) is another guy that's about to break through and with OEL, Schlemko, Yandle, Klesla, Rundblad, Morris, and Aucoin ahead of him on the depth chart, it makes sense to go after a guy like Goncharov. I know that he's hit some rough spots in his development, but there isn't a lot to dislike about the skills that Goncharov brings to the table.

Anyways, I suppose I could go on and on about who the Flyers should target, but there's lots of good young defenders who are on the cusp that could probably be had for very little.
See, this is the type of good, thought out **** I'm talking about. I see you asked the Blues' board their opinion about Cole... should also ask them who'd they want from us in a trade. Petrecki's an interesting target, and Goncharov is another excellent suggestion (plus he's a RH shot!). See if any of the scouts you know can somehow find a way for such ideas to get pitched to Homer, haha.