Wild signs Gustafsson to ELC; loan him back to SEL for one season

Old
06-01-2012, 08:22 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
lou is a 5.33 million backup goalie who's going to be cashing a 12 million dollar cheque
The Canucks can afford to throw that money away, they earned a $24+ million dollar profit last season. The Wild are operating in the red to the tune of about a $6 million loss. We have to be more careful how the money is spent and on whom...and it certainly isn't dollar-smart to have a guy making that much money relegated to back-up duty to start off the season.

If he poops the bed during the season and forces Yeo's hand, that's a different story. But, assuming he is healthy and on the roster, he will be a lock to start the season in net, you can book it.

Last edited by MuckOG: 06-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Backstrom will start, but not because of his cap hit. He's an excellent goalie.

I wonder if Fletch will start talking to Backs about waiving the NTC this summer. Wouldn't be expected, but there are a couple teams looking for good goaltending, and it's obvious he won't be back here after next year. Trade to Tampa maybe, and try and work an extension?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:08 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
In terms of all meaningful goalie stats, Backstrom is an extremely average NHL goalie.... Certainly not worth the money he is getting paid.

But he is still the best goalie we have, so he should start.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Like all goalies, he's only as good as the team in front of him. GAA and Save% are extremely overrated IMO. It's more dependent on the defensive system in place. What I'm more concerned with is a goalie's mental fortitude and consistency. Backs has had a couple hiccups (one spell where he was playing a bit too deep, another where he had glove hand trouble), but that's why he's an excellent goalie, not an elite HOF bound goalie (like Lundqvist or Brodeur).

Old
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Only my opinion, but off the top of my head, I can think of at least 12 current NHL goalies I would rather have in net.....so I can't consider him "excellent". I would consider him average to above average. Certainly, the team in front of him plays into it...but I've never been a big fan of his individual skills to make a big stop when he has to. He seems TOO dependent on the players in front of him to keep the shooters to the outside.

Quick
Lundqvist
Smith
Halak
Brodeur
Schneider
Rinne
Miller
Thomas
Elliot
Niemi
Fleury

Old
06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Only my opinion, but off the top of my head, I can think of at least 12 current NHL goalies I would rather have in net.....so I can't consider him "excellent". I would consider him average to above average. Certainly, the team in front of him plays into it...but I've never been a big fan of his individual skills to make a big stop when he has to. He seems TOO dependent on the players in front of him to keep the shooters to the outside.

Quick
Lundqvist
Smith
Halak
Brodeur
Schneider
Rinne
Miller
Thomas
Elliot
Niemi
Fleury
I'd rather have Rask than Niemi. I rate Niemi below Bäckström actually.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I'd rather have Rask than Niemi. I rate Niemi below Bäckström actually.
Like I said....just my opinion.

Do you think Backstrom is worth the $6 million he is getting paid? I certainly don't, and am thankful that this is the last year of his deal.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No he was overpaid. But that's not an indicator of his performance.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Like I said....just my opinion.
Which you are perfectly entitled to.

I think Hackett is going to have a real solid backup from either Kuemper or Gustafsson, but that Harvard kid is really intriguing, too. We have nothing to worry about even if we lose Harding, but that being said, it would be really good for Hackett's development if we keep him in AHL for one more year.

It's not like we're going to have a problem with cap any time soon, but that doesn't say that Bäckström's is a 6 million goalie. I think his fair value would be closer to 4 million at the moment.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:46 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Which you are perfectly entitled to.

I think Hackett is going to have a real solid backup from either Kuemper or Gustafsson, but that Harvard kid is really intriguing, too. We have nothing to worry about even if we lose Harding, but that being said, it would be really good for Hackett's development if we keep him in AHL for one more year.

It's not like we're going to have a problem with cap any time soon, but that doesn't say that Bäckström's is a 6 million goalie. I think his fair value would be closer to 4 million at the moment.
I still think Fletcher will offer Harding a contract to backup Backstrom, but it won't be much more than he made last season and it would only be a 1 year deal....so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.

There are plenty of veteran backup goalies to bring in if Harding moves on.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:

I think Hackett is going to have a real solid backup from either Kuemper or Gustafsson, but that Harvard kid is really intriguing, too.
Really? Hes been mediocre. Sure, he stepped up a few games, but it was rather mediocre. Good things he has 3 more years.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Really? Hes been mediocre. Sure, he stepped up a few games, but it was rather mediocre. Good things he has 3 more years.
Not that I've watched him, but where were you watching Michalek? Obviously his stats will be terrible playing for Harvard, but it sounds like he's been solid in international play (which I can't find any stats for right now).

Old
06-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Not that I've watched him, but where were you watching Michalek? Obviously his stats will be terrible playing for Harvard, but it sounds like he's been solid in international play (which I can't find any stats for right now).
I thought he just tried out for the USA Development camp, but never played for them.

I was able to watch him against UND twice and his last game vs Yale. Maybe I just picked out the worst games and am seeing some outliers. But I also can't imagine that he has high quality defenders, either.

Last edited by Victorious Secret: 06-01-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Played in the Ivan Hlinka tournament. Led the U.S. to the silver. Played Canada in the gold medal game and the only goal he gave up was to RNH.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:

I wonder if Fletch will start talking to Backs about waiving the NTC this summer. Wouldn't be expected, but there are a couple teams looking for good goaltending, and it's obvious he won't be back here after next year. Trade to Tampa maybe, and try and work an extension?
Not so sure about that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Backstrom signed to a 1 year deal so he could help Hackett break into the NHL, especially if Harding is gone.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:38 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Michalek is incredibly raw and a ways off (obviously). He has great athleticism at the position but I'm not so sure he has a great grasp of his angles. Gives up far too many rebounds as well. The good thing is that he won't be rushed so we'll see how he'll progresses.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
FWIW, Michalek was the 5th ranked NA goalie per Central Scouting's 2011 final rankings. Well worth a 6th round pick, and a nice 4 year starter's job in a quality hockey program where he can develop for free.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Good thing positioning is easy to teach. Athleticism is something that can't be.