HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers mini report card

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 06:30 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oilers mini report card

On the 5:00 clocks starts I am always late for the starts, so I will just report on the players that I thought played well. Feel free to add your many thoughts.

Hemsky - Wow, he looked good tonight. Hope he realizes that if he starts shooting it adds another dimension to his game. I believe he had four shots.

Isbister - Good game tonight. He was playing well before his injury and now seems to be getting back in form after the injury.

Dvorak - He is just so solid. We all know what he brings offensively, but the play I remember was after a giveaway in the neutral zone. Columbus had a three on two and they dropped it back to what was the open man but Dvorak just skated back and completely took that play away, stole the puck and created a chance the other way.

Brewer - He played well, made some good offensive plays and also made some excellent defensive plays when the score was 3-3. His problem of course is consistency, but it drives me crazy that he shows these flashes of what he could be.

Stoll - The guy looks like a ten year veteran out there! Was on the ice for every crucial draw and was on the ice during crucial defensive situations.

Old
11-25-2003, 06:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Agree with everything you said, but I don't think you give Izzy enough credit. He was easily our best player out there tonight. He was making things happen out there. Going to the net HARD and with guys on his back... he made some good plays with the puck, was good on the boards, and WHAT A SHOT that was on his goal!!! Izzy-Stoll-Hemsky was easily our best line tonight with the Torres-York-Dvorak and the Moreau-Smyth-Pisani tied as second. Moreau had another good game - exactly what you expect out of this guy. I still don't like Smyth on that line unless a guy like Hemsky or perhaps Oates when he's ready (HOPEFULLY TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!) is on that line to feed both of them as they are both more finishers then anything - and if Pisani had to be tagged shooter or playmaker he'd be a shooter as well.

Old
11-25-2003, 06:43 PM
dem

Smyth with Pisani just angers me.... We're burrying our best player. I cant wait till Oates get in the lineup.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Agree with everything you said, but I don't think you give Izzy enough credit. He was easily our best player out there tonight. He was making things happen out there. Going to the net HARD and with guys on his back... he made some good plays with the puck, was good on the boards, and WHAT A SHOT that was on his goal!!! Izzy-Stoll-Hemsky was easily our best line tonight with the Torres-York-Dvorak and the Moreau-Smyth-Pisani tied as second. Moreau had another good game - exactly what you expect out of this guy. I still don't like Smyth on that line unless a guy like Hemsky or perhaps Oates when he's ready (HOPEFULLY TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!) is on that line to feed both of them as they are both more finishers then anything - and if Pisani had to be tagged shooter or playmaker he'd be a shooter as well.
Like I said I did miss some of the game so maybe I missed Isbisters best work earlier. What I saw was impressive but he could have well been better earlier as well.

Great to hear!! We need a power forward.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:42 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Smyth with Pisani just angers me.... We're burrying our best player. I cant wait till Oates get in the lineup.
It always seems to be the other players with Smyth that makes him be innefective. That line was dynamite for the last week, one bad game and Pisani is effecting Smyths ability to dominate. Please, Smyth hasn't been the Oilers best player for quite some time now, in fact not even close. He has played much more consistently in recent times, but he started aweful and has yet to provide the scoring consistency needed. First he was brutal cause of Horcoff, now Pisani. Let me reinforce, Pisani is +11, Smyth -4. Pisani and linemates have generated more offense 5 on 5 than Smyth has by a mile. Give it up people. No one is holding Smyth back from being the superstar. Once again Ryan manages to avoid any criticism by the crowds of "Smytty" lovers and all the blame goes to the one of the best 2 way players on the team this year.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Calnes

smyth isn't getting moved around because he's lighting up the league. he got put with our two best defensive players because his defense has been poor since he moved to center. this is temporary til he can handle playing with regular wingers, or til someone else plays center.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:12 PM
jadeddog

well i think there is one reason and one reason only that smyth has played poorly, and we ALL know what that is...... hes playing center..... once oates draws in and smyth can moves back to LW we will see the "old smyth" return..... the problem is that, come next year, we are back in the exact same situation.... heres hoping lowe finds that center that we so DESPERATELY need

Old
11-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
well i think there is one reason and one reason only that smyth has played poorly, and we ALL know what that is...... hes playing center..... once oates draws in and smyth can moves back to LW we will see the "old smyth" return..... the problem is that, come next year, we are back in the exact same situation.... heres hoping lowe finds that center that we so DESPERATELY need
Wrong. He hasn't been effective on pp either. He is just plain not playing to the standards he is capable of. He has been invisible a large majority of the night this year. Good players find a way to contribute and be noticed no matter what the situation no matter what the game. He hasn't. It isn't his linemates it isn't his position, it isn't the fans it isn't the building. It is himself. He hasn't been playing like the Ryan Smyth we know. Quit making excuses. He has been invisible.

Closed Thread