HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Jeff Carter would have eaten alive here.

Poile also convinced Radulov to finally come back too.
Why would he be eaten alive, in Nashville of all places?

Old
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Why would he be eaten alive, in Nashville of all places?
because he cried his way out of a town and would have entered a town that appreciates hard work, something that carter has a bit of a rep for. That and he was a BlueJacket.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think the poster is implying that Nashville's fan base and media isn't hockey-crazy enough to tear him to piece when compared to other places he has played or could play.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:26 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think the poster is implying that Nashville's fan base and media isn't hockey-crazy enough to tear him to piece when compared to other places he has played or could play.
maybe not the media, but HF posters will. and we know the kind of sway they have over hockey players. Poor Legwand is so beaten up still he can't score more than 55 points a year. We are his glass ceiling.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Quite right. He came from Philadelphia, who similarly loves hard working players, and he certainly wasn't eaten alive. In fact, he loved it so much that he signed a long-term contract there.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Quite right. He came from Philadelphia, who similarly loves hard working players, and he certainly wasn't eaten alive. In fact, he loved it so much that he signed a long-term contract there.
More so Coach Trotz

When the coach criticizes the player for not doing much even though he scored a hat-trick, you know what it won't work out.

Last edited by Firestorm: 06-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old
06-01-2012, 11:00 AM
ilikeblocks

What would Suter's rights command?

Old
06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
What would Suter's rights command?
The first born son of the general manager who is attempting to acquire him

Seriously, though, as much as someone is willing to give. That is to say, "no one knows".

Old
06-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
More so Coach Trotz

When the coach criticizes the player for not doing much even though he scored a hat-trick, you know what it won't work out.
Carter played under Ken Hitchcock who was/is notoriously hard on rookies and young players and he employs a defense first system. I doubt Trotz would be much worse on Carter than Hitch was.

It's a moot point anyway, Carter didn't get traded to Nashville.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

And this is a thread about Ryan Suter, so let's start talking about him rather than Jeff Carter. How's that sound, everyone? Deal?

Old
06-01-2012, 12:31 PM
token grinder

poile met with suter and his agent yesterday.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
poile met with suter and his agent yesterday.
took him long enough, we've been out of the playoffs how long ? ... Sitting on the sideline since May 7

Old
06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Yeah, you just lost a disappointing series in a year where you were expecting to win it all. Do you want your boss coming up to you immediately after saying 'HEY! The future is bright!'

Old
06-01-2012, 12:59 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
took him long enough, we've been out of the playoffs how long ? ... Sitting on the sideline since May 7
You're assuming that Poile is the reason for the delay. It could have been any number of things.

While I share your frustration at the situation, the source of the blame has not been made public.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:00 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Suter is the one who didn't want to meet till now. He wanted a few weeks off to unwind after the loss. Poile went to Wisconsin to meet Suter face to face and it seems it went well as they are going to continue to talk. If Suter had no interest at all at resigning he just would have told Poile and that would be it. The fact that they are still talking is encouraging.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
Suter is the one who didn't want to meet till now. He wanted a few weeks off to unwind after the loss. Poile went to Wisconsin to meet Suter face to face and it seems it went well as they are going to continue to talk. If Suter had no interest at all at resigning he just would have told Poile and that would be it. The fact that they are still talking is encouraging.
You could be 100% right. I'll also play Devil's advocate and say it's possible Suter wants us to think that. He could be saying "Yeah, I'll talk", making it look like he's giving it everything he's got, then, if he leaves, he can say "I tried really hard", true or not, and be somewhat of a good guy. Makes it easier to blame on Poile.

I think you're right, but the above is worth pointing out.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm not sure there are any valid PR concerns if the player plans on leaving. I mean, if he is really that concerned with his image he likely reads things about him online, including message boards, and if he does that then he already knows he will likely be boo'd whether or not he makes any kind of effort before leaving.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
You could be 100% right. I'll also play Devil's advocate and say it's possible Suter wants us to think that. He could be saying "Yeah, I'll talk", making it look like he's giving it everything he's got, then, if he leaves, he can say "I tried really hard", true or not, and be somewhat of a good guy. Makes it easier to blame on Poile.

I think you're right, but the above is worth pointing out.
i don't think he would care about PR. I think he cares about 1. taking care of his family, which takes money and location into account and 2. winning.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:33 PM
SouthernJ
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i don't think he would care about PR. I think he cares about 1. taking care of his family, which takes money and location into account and 2. winning.
But anyone in public eye, including athletes, are forced to be aware of PR and good buzz because it can cause a lot of headaches by following for the rest of their career if negative. I don't blame him for anything he does, but the PR thing has to included due to the social buzz that has taken over most media outlets down. I'm sure his agent has reminded him of this multiple times.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:03 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernJ View Post
But anyone in public eye, including athletes, are forced to be aware of PR and good buzz because it can cause a lot of headaches by following for the rest of their career if negative. I don't blame him for anything he does, but the PR thing has to included due to the social buzz that has taken over most media outlets down. I'm sure his agent has reminded him of this multiple times.
let me ut it another way, i don't think he would string poile along

Old
06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Well...it's a start:

Quote:
Defenseman Ryan Suter and the Predators talked yesterday — and they will continue to talk in the upcoming week. By all accounts the discussions were positive.
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...mportant-step/

Old
06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
INDhockeyfan

Suter is a UFA and he has a right to do whatever he wants. I don't see how people can hold it against him if he tested the market. I don't think Ryan is the type of guy who would string Poile along if he had made a definite decision. Lots of guys are on the fence when they become a UFA on whether to resign or not as it is a huge decision. It is relocating because of your job that anyone who has had to make that decision knows is not easy especially if you have a wife and family. As long as he doesn't wait until the 11th hour so Poile can't trade his rights or make some moves to replace him I'm fine with it.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernJ View Post
Wouldn't it be worse PR if Suter said he tried hard to make it work but couldn't as opposed to telling the truth, making some comments about enjoying his time here, and telling everyone it's just time for him to move? In my experience, people know when they are being treated like idiots, and they don't like it.

And again I will ask, if he or his agent are overly concerned with appearances you would think at least one of them (likely his agent) would be looking at remarks from fans. They are easily found. This is, I think, the largest hockey forum on the internet. It has been mentioned by media outlets several times. People in this very thread have already expressed everything from disbelief to outrage for how the situation has been handled thus far. The same goes for people in comment sections on any of several blogs, the Tennessean's website, and Twitter.

If Suter and his agent are playing this game for positive PR they are freakin' terrible at it.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:38 PM
hockey diva

He's leveraging what Poile is willing to give to get a good deal from the Wings.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:39 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
He's leveraging what Poile is willing to give to get a good deal from the Wings.
well, since he can't negotiate with the Wings or anyone else til July 1 I think thats not what is happening.

If they truly are still talking, either he is seeing exactly how much he can get out of poile before he signs, or else he's getting Poile to make offers to Weber (or someone else he wants to see re-sign)

Closed Thread