HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas may take the year off?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2012, 02:21 PM
  #676
Latrappe
Selke winner
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,876
vCash: 500
Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74
Peter Chiarelli says if Thomas doesn't play he'd be suspended and still on cap. Would use Savard's hit as cap relief.

So Timmy's salary counting on the cap but the Bruins suspend Thomas and still pay his salary? OOG help !!!

Latrappe is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:21 PM
  #677
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 1551
Quite the coincidence that this comes out right as his NMC expires on July 1...

Also read that he moved his family to Colorado during last season because it is a more right wing state..

Skm is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:21 PM
  #678
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,596
vCash: 1340
And this is why you don't hand out 4 year long 35+ contracts Peter.

Fire Julien is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
  #679
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs
 
Bruinsfan_37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,896
vCash: 500
Makes more sense now that Khudobin has a 1 way contract for next year

Bruinsfan_37 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
  #680
dabid
Registered User
 
dabid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: gorskic's house
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
Dan Cagen ‏@DanCagen

Couldn't tell if Chiarelli was being serious when he said Thomas might post his plans on Facebook. #Bruins

dabid is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
  #681
TMac21
Retooled for 2014
 
TMac21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
And this is why you don't hand out 4 year long 35+ contracts Peter.
Safe to say no one could see this one coming...

TMac21 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
  #682
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs
 
Bruinsfan_37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
And this is why you don't hand out 4 year long 35+ contracts Peter.
You assume at the same time the player respects his contract and finishes it

Bruinsfan_37 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
  #683
cat400
Registered User
 
cat400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Boston Bruins‏@NHLBruins

DP on TT: "He's cares deeply about his family and that's what he's focusing on above everything else."^BISH

cat400 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
  #684
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,596
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
Safe to say no one could see this one coming...
Maybe not the casual fan, but if the Harvard lawyer and capologist Chiarelli didn't see some trouble brewing with a long-term 35+ contract, then it's time to question his competence.

Fire Julien is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
  #685
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I disagree. Facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc have changed the way celebrities interact with fans. They no longer have to work with reporters to get information out to the general public, they have the platforms readily available to do so themselves. I seek out Tim Thomas's facebook page and subscribe to it because he's the goalie for the Boston Bruins. He now has my ear for whatever he wants to talk about strictly because of who he is and what he does for a living. He can talk about hockey, he can talk about hunting, he can talk about politics, he can talk about his kids, he can talk about ice cream...he can talk about whatever he wants. But he is going to have a larger audience consuming his thoughts and information because of who he is and what he does.

If you had a facebook page for a blog you wrote for, I wouldn't seek it out and subscribe to it because I don't know you. You don't have my ear, because you are not the goalie for the Boston Bruins, or anyone else I'm interested in following or learning more about.

It's not "sports media" in the traditional sense, but yes, it's a form of media in 2012.
i beleive this is where the distinction needs to be made.

its social media.

his own social media. his own account. his own page. you are fully aware of the fact that it is his personal space on the internet to post whatever beleifs he wants and you sought it out.

i do not seek out or subscribe to his fb page because of this. i dont care about his beleifs.

when i want hockey news about him though, i will turn to 'official' sports media outlets. thats the distinction. He has not used sports media outlets to promote his beleifs, and as a fan, i appriciate that. if i want his beliefs, i would seek out his personal fan page. if he were answering every reporter who asked him, to me, thats a hug distinction. i watch a post game interview with him, all i get is hockey. if someone asked him about the WH, he didnt comment.

there really is a huge distinction between the two. and i for one appriciate him not answering those questions in the official sports media world.

bb_fan is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
  #686
cat400
Registered User
 
cat400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Sounds like Timmy has family problems?
Could a trade to the Avalanche help alleviate the problems?

cat400 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
  #687
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs
 
Bruinsfan_37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Maybe not the casual fan, but if the Harvard lawyer and capologist Chiarelli didn't see some trouble brewing with a long-term 35+ contract, then it's time to question his competence.
Thomas has been worth every penny of his contract, no one could have predicted this 4 years ago

Bruinsfan_37 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
  #688
TMac21
Retooled for 2014
 
TMac21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Maybe not the casual fan, but if the Harvard lawyer and capologist Chiarelli didn't see some trouble brewing with a long-term 35+ contract, then it's time to question his competence.
That he would consider taking a year off?? I don't think you could forecast that - his play is still at a high enough level that the contract would not have hurt the Bruins in that way.

TMac21 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
  #689
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs
 
Bruinsfan_37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
Sounds like Timmy has family problems?
Could a trade to the Avalanche help alleviate the problems?
Colorado just traded 1st rounders for Varlamov, why the heck would they want Thomas?

Bruinsfan_37 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
  #690
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,596
vCash: 1340
Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29

At the same time, guy leaving $5M on table because his heart may not be in it. If we kill em for grabbing the green have 2 respect when dont

Fire Julien is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:27 PM
  #691
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out
 
Bruins Stooge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hartford County CT
Country: United States
Posts: 4,538
vCash: 500
You gotta hope nothing is wrong with his family, health, etc. That said, if nothing is wrong and he's taking time off for the sake of time off, thats a HUGE middle finger to the team. Something like this could really leave a bad taste in bruins fans mouth's. Lets hope all is ok if he does take time off.

Not only that, but even if he doesn't take time off, a move like this is a real chip for a team trying to trade for him, could lower his value.

Bruins Stooge is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:27 PM
  #692
Nightslyr
Registered User
 
Nightslyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
So, why doesn't he just retire?

Nightslyr is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
  #693
cat400
Registered User
 
cat400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Looks like the marriage between Timmy and the Bruins is over.

Boston Bruins‏@NHLBruins

Chiarelli on possibility of trading TT: "He's a world class goalie...he'd help somebody in a big way if he decided to play."^BISH

cat400 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  #694
cat400
Registered User
 
cat400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29

At the same time, guy leaving $5M on table because his heart may not be in it. If we kill em for grabbing the green have 2 respect when dont
He is only leaving $3million; however the cap hit is $5m.

cat400 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  #695
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,950
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Chiarelli on possibility of trading TT: "He's a world class goalie...he'd help somebody in a big way if he decided to play."^BISH

Slip up by Chia...I guess he was going to deal him.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  #696
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist
 
Rubber Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Taking that Paille quote, it's gotta be something with his family.

Rubber Biscuit is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  #697
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,099
vCash: 500
Well, at least we know who the starter will be, lol.

GloryDaze4877 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
  #698
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,596
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
That he would consider taking a year off?? I don't think you could forecast that - his play is still at a high enough level that the contract would not have hurt the Bruins in that way.
But you can forecast him retiring or declining so much that he has to be waived before the end of his contract, which would have the exact same impact on next year's cap.

Fire Julien is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
  #699
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
i beleive this is where the distinction needs to be made.

its social media.

his own social media. his own account. his own page. you are fully aware of the fact that it is his personal space on the internet to post whatever beleifs he wants and you sought it out.

i do not seek out or subscribe to his fb page because of this. i dont care about his beleifs.

when i want hockey news about him though, i will turn to 'official' sports media outlets. thats the distinction. He has not used sports media outlets to promote his beleifs, and as a fan, i appriciate that. if i want his beliefs, i would seek out his personal fan page. if he were answering every reporter who asked him, to me, thats a hug distinction. i watch a post game interview with him, all i get is hockey. if someone asked him about the WH, he didnt comment.

there really is a huge distinction between the two. and i for one appriciate him not answering those questions in the official sports media world.
I appreciate the distinction, but again, disagree with it.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:31 PM
  #700
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,950
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Well, at least we know who the starter will be, lol.
Tuukka once again backs into the starting gig...

WBC8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.