HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

KHL to play 2 regular season games in Brooklyn's Barclay's Center '13 (UPD:cancelled)

Old
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
It would work in Chicago and New York... I can't think of many other cities with major Slavic populations and no NHL teams, maybe Cleveland but I don't think many of those people are recent immigrants.

Doubt it.

My own heritage is slavic (Ukrainian). I'm proud of that heritage, will probably pull for Ukraine in the Euro cup (since Canada obsiously doesn't play), but beyond that why should I care about KHL teams? I've never been to Russia, I don't know the teams (other than Locomotiv) and don't know the players. When my ancestors came to this country there was no KHL - hell it was before the USSR!

It could work as a one-off spectacle, and it certainly helps Prokhorov show off his arena to the Islanders, but the KHL isn't going to open a north american franchise.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:29 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky11 View Post
Will it be on North American or KHL sized ice?
This is what I'm wondering. Not that I'd have any possible chance of going being on the wrong coast in the wrong country, but if I could part of the appeal/novelty would be seeing the foreign teams playing on their big ice surface. They probably won't be at their best playing 2 random games on the small ice.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:34 PM
EbencoyE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Doubt it.

My own heritage is slavic (Ukrainian). I'm proud of that heritage, will probably pull for Ukraine in the Euro cup (since Canada obsiously doesn't play), but beyond that why should I care about KHL teams? I've never been to Russia, I don't know the teams (other than Locomotiv) and don't know the players. When my ancestors came to this country there was no KHL - hell it was before the USSR!

It could work as a one-off spectacle, and it certainly helps Prokhorov show off his arena to the Islanders, but the KHL isn't going to open a north american franchise.
I think he was talking about recent immigrants. Obviously it wouldn't make sense for a family that came from Ukraine before hockey even existed there to care about Ukrainian hockey.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 2800
Since the Isles-Devils game is pretty much sold out (or extremely expensive), I guess I'll try to go to this. I want to see if this place is suitable for the Isles. I also live like 20 minutes away.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:52 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
I'd like to see this, but I live too far away to make it worth the trip.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:12 PM
CaseyPierroZabotel17
I'm the Best

do you think that the teams that play will have their usual ads on their jerseys?

I know some European teams are so covered in ads they're just a complete mess and you can't even enjoy the cool jerseys underneath. the KHL isn't as bad as some, but still, for me and probably a lot of other people, ads are distracting and its only 2 games so i assume the KHL can afford to not have them.

CaseyPierroZabotel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:32 PM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
The AHL does not have billionaires as owners. KHL is just starting up, it will become good. AHL has been around since 1940 and the KHL had been around 4 Years.
It hasn't always been called the KHL, but its been around since like 1946.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:51 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
do you think that the teams that play will have their usual ads on their jerseys?

I know some European teams are so covered in ads they're just a complete mess and you can't even enjoy the cool jerseys underneath. the KHL isn't as bad as some, but still, for me and probably a lot of other people, ads are distracting and its only 2 games so i assume the KHL can afford to not have them.
Depends if the games are televised back in Mother Russia or not. If it is, then yeah.... probably will be. If not, then I wouldn't be surprised if they just wore ad-less (or with one-off North American ads) sweaters for the game as they wouldn't serve a purpose over here otherwise.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Doubt it.

That's why I said recent immigrants. Aside from Prokhorov, Brooklyn has a massive Russian population that are mostly post-Cold War immigrants. Chicago has another huge, recent population of Eastern Europeans. These are places where you might be able to get 15,000 people to show up for an annual game... they could also add in London and Paris for the same reasons and just rotate it around. Of course a franchise won't happen

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Isles72

it's a good opportunity for isles fans to attend another hockey game or two at Barclays in order to gauge sightlines and overall feel for the building.

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Awesome!

I would love to see them play some NHL teams.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:46 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
It hasn't always been called the KHL, but its been around since like 1946.
No, it hasn't. The KHL is a completely new league, not a re-named Soviet/Russian Superleague. Those leagues were run by the Soviet/Russian Hockey Federations. The KHL is an independent franchise-based league - hence why it has expanded outside of Russia.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:34 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
No, it hasn't. The KHL is a completely new league, not a re-named Soviet/Russian Superleague. Those leagues were run by the Soviet/Russian Hockey Federations. The KHL is an independent franchise-based league - hence why it has expanded outside of Russia.
you are not right. KHL is successor of RSL. Russian Hockey Federation delegated right of governing league to KHL. The same happened in Slovakia or Czech rep a few years ago and you can not say there is no history... Btw russian league had always clubs from outside of Russia.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Hockey players are good guys, I feel awful when a guy has to sign a 2 way deal and make less than me and is over 30.

I would 100 million% support the KHL expanding to North America (would make it so stars would be morons to bolt to a lower league but not lower end roster players) more good pro hockey will force the NHL to improve.

If they bring an olympic sheet I will have a pants tent. (I am an NHL st holder too.)

Lots of midsized cities with 12-13k barns would be interested. Would be great. Have a Finals right when the SCF ends or before.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:41 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrowlman View Post
Bring a KHL team to ATLANTA!!!
How about this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlant_Moscow_Oblast

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:22 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

confirmed, I will quote this

Quote:
Szymon Szemberg ‏@Sz1909_Szemberg

KHL Dynamo Moscow and SKA St. Petersburg to play two regular season games in Brooklyn, NY on January 19, 20, 2013, KHL announces. #khl

Old
06-26-2012, 04:27 AM
saffronleaf

This should be awesome.

But I wonder -- why two games?

One or three would make more sense. One game is obvious. Three could make it a series of sorts. Two just seems... like it could end up being 1-1.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:33 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
This should be awesome.

But I wonder -- why two games?

One or three would make more sense. One game is obvious. Three could make it a series of sorts. Two just seems... like it could end up being 1-1.
KHL adopted new formula of matches during regular season. Every club will play 2 games against all clubs, home and away. Plus there are pairs among clubs which will play extra 2 games. SKA and Dynamo are such pair. Therefore 2 games, SKA will play one game at home, Dynamo as well and 2 extra games in NY. Everybody is happy

Old
06-26-2012, 04:34 AM
Dhockey16

1. NHL
2. SEL
3. KHL
4. SM Liga
5. AHL

Dhockey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
why two games?

NHL went with two games as well in the games overseas in 1997, 1998, 2000, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
2. SEL
3. KHL
You might want to fix that.

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I hope the tickets are reasonable, I will come from Boston
Umm, I think the tickets will be pretty reasonable.

It's a minor league hockey game with a bunch of players most local hockey fans have never heard of. Scalpers will be taking the night off.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:05 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Umm, I think the tickets will be pretty reasonable.

It's a minor league hockey game with a bunch of players most local hockey fans have never heard of. Scalpers will be taking the night off.
sounds good to me, even Northeaster round trip is 100 in itself.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Omark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
1. NHL
2. SEL
3. KHL
4. SM Liga
5. AHL
Not sure if trolling... or just stupid.

Please.

Omark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:19 AM
N o o d l e s

Not going to lie, I had no idea the Barclay's center has ice. Who do they plan on regularly playing there? If it's only for sometimes events like this, seems like a bit of a hassle to have to worry about taking care of all the time. Does anybody know what other hockey they plan on having there, or is it just sporadic?

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:41 AM
ashenhigh

I don't understand how you spend $1 Billion on building a new arena, but build it so you have to remove 1/3 of the lower bowl just to fit an NHL sized rink. Making it the smallest arena in the NHL. Clearly a World-sized rink wont fit whatsoever.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote