HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Tim Thomas may take the year off?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2012, 03:50 PM
  #876
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
One things for certain, his trade value just took a serious hit.

stick9 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:52 PM
  #877
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Yeah. They are furious I'm sure. They are probably upset that they have those really heavy rings that give them arthritis or carpal tunnel or whatever thanks to Tim Thomas.. that *******.
Come on, Rick. I'm sure they're pissed. Regardless of the reason.

They're business men, not social workers.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:53 PM
  #878
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
You needed the money, you needed to advance your career. Thomas has made most of the money he will ever make in his life and has reached the greatest heights a goalie could achieve in his career. He doesn't need to work another day in his life.

They gave Thomas this leverage when they signed him to such a cap friendly deal. I don't begrudge the Bruins for using their contractual rights once his NTC expires, its a business, but I also don't blame Thomas for leveraging his contractual rights. Its a business. Both ways.
Exactamundo. Nothing wrong with either side treating a business like a business.

Dr Quincy is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:53 PM
  #879
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
I don't understand how that relates to my post?
because of the breach of contract thing and you seemed bent about it...Things come up greater then hockey I guess. He'll lose 3 million in real dollars, not 5 mil fake dollars in cap space. Would you rather he just played and collected his money but was miserable worrying about his family or sat here when maybe he should be trying to fix things... Dude could have another 40 years of life left, maybe he's trying to set himself up for real life.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
  #880
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 11,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Absolute opinion as are 99.9999% of the posts. No one knows what is going on except Timmy. I am not sure Chia even has the real story. I am going off the comments from teammates and front office and in my opinion they arent too bummed that Timmy may be leaving.
Can't say I'm surprised. I remember The Buccigross comments from 2 years ago citing sources saying TT was not well received in the locker room. I remember people crapping all over that commentary including local scribes.
1 year removed from the perfect goaltending performance and the organization is quiet about this??

BNHL is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
  #881
Seguin Genesis
Registered User
 
Seguin Genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Can we bury his cap hit on LTIR?

Injury Report:
M. Savard - Indefinite (Post-Concussion symptoms)
J. Boychuk - Day to Day (Knee)
A. McQuaid - Out 2-4 Weeks (Broken Ribs)
T. Thomas - Out 6-8 Months (Broken Family)

Seguin Genesis is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
  #882
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 13,815
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Come on, Rick. I'm sure they're pissed. Regardless of the reason.

They're business men, not social workers.
I was mostly referring to his team mates there but I understand your point.

SerenityRick is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:55 PM
  #883
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 11,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
One things for certain, his trade value just took a serious hit.
Exactly my thoughts,except maybe to Colorado?

BNHL is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:55 PM
  #884
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB24 View Post
[/B]

Never said that anywhere in my post, what I said was, in a nutshell, is that is gets old quick when athletes complain about the amount of time they spend away from home. Let me be clear, it is not only the military, that is one example, how much time does a doctor spend away from home, I look at the oil patch workers in Alberta, 14 days in camp 4 home, the list goes on and on. I do not think it is an excuse to cut bait and run on your employer or fans because you chose not to fulfill your contract. He had no problems with it when he held the hammer with the NTC, but now all of a sudden he needs to be with his family. Again, I am hoping it is not an illness in his family but I am also hoping like hell it is not because he just does not want to be traded.
You didn't say it specifically, but the implication was there. I understand that it's not just military, but a plethora of others who do it. But plenty of them reach a point where they choose to do something else because it's what their family needs. I did -I added to my post to explain my situation, to describe my relevant situation. If that's what their families need, then putting them first should be applauded, not denigrated, regardless of whether they are military, oil workers, "supercommuters" or yes, even professional athletes.

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:55 PM
  #885
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
since he wife and kids lived with him all over Europe, the mean streets of Providence, the violent streets of the North Shore here's a thought- if you miss them so much why not move them back here with you unless there's another reason
I look back at Dom's posts in this thread, and can't help but think, "yup". If folks think he's selfish and that's all there is to it, then the easy answer is "selfish people don't leave 3 million on the table". We may not know the exact specific reason why he's doing it, we may never know, but it's really not that hard to figure out the main jist when you look at the information we do have.

Money and Career < Family. I'd expect nothing else from a player I consider one of the few good role models left.

Kaoz is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 03:57 PM
  #886
Afam
Nigeria&Usa
 
Afam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 2,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
I had to look up who the hell Rondo was by the way

The contract doesn't mean anything to me. Thomas can proceed how he wants to. It's just a business after all right?
Lmao.Cmon Bridges. I Can't believe you didn't know who Rajon Rondo is.

Afam is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:01 PM
  #887
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Absolute opinion as are 99.9999% of the posts. No one knows what is going on except Timmy. I am not sure Chia even has the real story. I am going off the comments from teammates and front office and in my opinion they arent too bummed that Timmy may be leaving.
But in the post I quoted, you said 'let's face facts". I just hate it when people set down their opinion and then call it a fact. it seems to be happening a lot in this thread (oh who am I kidding, it happens a lot in EVERY thread!) So I do appreciate that you acknowledge it as your own opinion. Not meaning to rail on you about it, so please don't take it as a personal slam.

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:01 PM
  #888
Bridges31
Goon? Lol
 
Bridges31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 11,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEasyA View Post
Lmao.Cmon Bridges. I Can't believe you didn't know who Rajon Rondo is.
I can only name Paul pierce on the current celtics team. I did watch one playoff game by accident at a bar when I had a little too much to drink

Bridges31 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
  #889
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF
 
Jean_Jacket41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: With the smurfs
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
It would still count against the cap because it was a 35+ deal.
There are plenty of low spending teams that would like to have that 5M Cap Hit on their payroll paying 0$.

He he does really take a year off, then just give him away to one of these teams to free up that 5M.

Watching on Capgeek, the Avs have only 23M commited for next year. Chia will gladly help them raise this by 5M...

Jean_Jacket41 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
  #890
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Raskolnikov View Post
Can we bury his cap hit on LTIR?

Injury Report:
M. Savard - Indefinite (Post-Concussion symptoms)
J. Boychuk - Day to Day (Knee)
A. McQuaid - Out 2-4 Weeks (Broken Ribs)
T. Thomas - Out 6-8 Months (Broken Family)
I know I shouldn't have, but I laughed at this.

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:04 PM
  #891
BoyntBergie
Registered User
 
BoyntBergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
because of the breach of contract thing and you seemed bent about it...Things come up greater then hockey I guess. He'll lose 3 million in real dollars, not 5 mil fake dollars in cap space. Would you rather he just played and collected his money but was miserable worrying about his family or sat here when maybe he should be trying to fix things... Dude could have another 40 years of life left, maybe he's trying to set himself up for real life.
No doubt they do, but that still doesn't mean it's not a breach. I don't really have much of an opinion at the moment to be honest, there's still not really enough insight out there into his reasoning.

However, there's a sliver of irony in a staunch Constitutionalist breaching his contract, if it does indeed qualify as such (he said with a smile and no interest in engaging anyone in a political debate).

One thing you can say about Thomas- never a dull moment. He seems as unorthodox off the ice as he is on at times.

BoyntBergie is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:04 PM
  #892
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I look back at Dom's posts in this thread, and can't help but think, "yup". If folks think he's selfish and that's all there is to it, then the easy answer is "selfish people don't leave 3 million on the table". We may not know the exact specific reason why he's doing it, we may never know, but it's really not that hard to figure out the main jist when you look at the information we do have.

Money and Career < Family. I'd expect nothing else from a player I consider one of the few good role models left.
This should really be the last post in this thread, because it says all that needs to be said.

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:04 PM
  #893
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 13,815
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I look back at Dom's posts in this thread, and can't help but think, "yup". If folks think he's selfish and that's all there is to it, then the easy answer is "selfish people don't leave 3 million on the table". We may not know the exact specific reason why he's doing it, we may never know, but it's really not that hard to figure out the main jist when you look at the information we do have.

Money and Career < Family. I'd expect nothing else from a player I consider one of the few good role models left.
He's got millions of dollars, won a silver medal, two Vezinas, a Conn Smyth and the Stanley Cup.. He's also older and probably not as motivated to play as badly after winning it all after the life he had. His kids are right about the age where as a dad I imagine you really want to be there for them (teens?). Seems like the perfect time to call it quits.

He probably just woke up and realized he's accomplished everything he ever dreamed of accomplishing and would like to spend the rest of his time with his family instead of forcing himself through his final contract year.

I guess I don't understand why to some people this is "ending his career on a ****** note". Seems like a decent note to end on to me. The only people making this out to be controversial and awful is the Boston Media. Not surprising.

SerenityRick is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:05 PM
  #894
Shaun
Registered User
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 20,628
vCash: 500
i'm sure the Islanders would love the extra $5m to get to the capfloor without having to pay him.

Shaun is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:06 PM
  #895
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
No doubt they do, but that still doesn't mean it's not a breach. I don't really have much of an opinion at the moment to be honest, there's still not really enough insight out there into his reasoning.

However, there's a sliver of irony in a staunch Constitutionalist breaching his contract, if it does indeed qualify as such (he said with a smile and no interest in engaging anyone in a political debate).

One thing you can say about Thomas- never a dull moment. He seems as unorthodox off the ice as he is on at times.
Yeah it would have been better received IMO had he announced his retirement...

WBC8 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
  #896
chrismancuso97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOgIiterXlk


Hilarious

chrismancuso97 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
  #897
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 13,815
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
No doubt they do, but that still doesn't mean it's not a breach. I don't really have much of an opinion at the moment to be honest, there's still not really enough insight out there into his reasoning.

However, there's a sliver of irony in a staunch Constitutionalist breaching his contract, if it does indeed qualify as such (he said with a smile and no interest in engaging anyone in a political debate).

One thing you can say about Thomas- never a dull moment. He seems as unorthodox off the ice as he is on at times.
I don't see the irony.

The penalty for breaching his contract or not showing up to training camp is not getting paid.
The penalty for breaching my Dish contract is having to pay the remaining months of my contract... which I did.

Why do we care if he's breaching his contract?

SerenityRick is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:09 PM
  #898
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,516
vCash: 500
What we know about Tim Thomas:

1. He's insanely competitive.
2. He went through hell to make it to the NHL.
3. He loves to play hockey.
4. He is considering taking a year off from hockey.
5. He has a family that includes several children and aging parents (and in-laws).
6. If he does take a year off from hockey, he will leave $3 million on the table.
7. He's alway been appreciative of Bruins fans, and from what I have witnessed, of his teammates.

What we don't know about Tim Thomas:

1. The reason why he's considering taking a year off. However, both Chiarelli and Paille alluded to family issues.

Speculation:

1. Taking time off to somehow hurt the Bruins makes little sense. Why? What's the motive? That Thomas is a jerk?
2. Giving up $3 million makes less sense.
3. This does not increase his value as an FA. If anything, it worsens it.

Logically, the conclusion must be that Chiarelli and Paille are right, and that Thomas is dealing with serious family issues.

And any local media members who give him **** about what's happening can go piss up a ****ing rope. Like Danny Paille gives a damn about his re-signing press conference. Good lord.

Artemis is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
  #899
MaCam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eastern Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 3,472
vCash: 500
I have always been a fan of Timmys, and I will be forever thankful to him for leading us to a Cup. I feel for him if he has family issues. With that being said though, he did sign a contract to play for the Bruins and if he doesn't play he is not fulfilling it.

In the team's best interest, he should temporarily retire so that his money comes off the cap. Then next year, he can re-think his situation and decide if he wants to come back.

Edit: After further reading in this thread, it appears that even if he retires his money doesn't come off the cap. Nevermind.

MaCam is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
  #900
BoyntBergie
Registered User
 
BoyntBergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
He's got millions of dollars, won a silver medal, two Vezinas, a Conn Smyth and the Stanley Cup.. He's also older and probably not as motivated to play as badly after winning it all after the life he had. His kids are right about the age where as a dad I imagine you really want to be there for them (teens?). Seems like the perfect time to call it quits.

He probably just woke up and realized he's accomplished everything he ever dreamed of accomplishing and would like to spend the rest of his time with his family instead of forcing himself through his final contract year.

I guess I don't understand why to some people this is "ending his career on a ****** note". Seems like a decent note to end on to me. The only people making this out to be controversial and awful is the Boston Media. Not surprising.
Rick, as a Bruins fan, you can't see how this hurts the team a bit? Aside from what you consider more important?

1. Rask's agent is drooling puddles right now.
2. Thomas could have probably got us a decent return on the trade market.
3. We're stuck with his cap hit, which limits the team (if I recall what I read correctly).
4. If he wasn't dealt, the #1 goalie just bolted on the team.

As Bruins fans, you can't see why that might leave a slightly sour taste in some people's mouth? It hurts the team a bit, whether or not his reasoning trumps that stuff aside...

BoyntBergie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.