Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas may take the year off?

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Jimbo9966

vCash: 500
I call BS!! The bruins were more than fair to him when they signed him to that contract and they did it as a part of showing their appriciation for what he did just the year before taking a chance not knowing he would be the goalie he is today.

Way to bite the hand that feeds you.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCam View Post
I have always been a fan of Timmys, and I will be forever thankful to him for leading us to a Cup. I feel for him if he has family issues. With that being said though, he did sign a contract to play for the Bruins and if he doesn't play he is not fulfilling it.

In the team's best interest, he should temporarily retire so that his money comes off the cap. Then next year, he can re-think his situation and decide if he wants to come back.
If he retires, temporarily or permanently, his money stays on the cap.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Rick, as a Bruins fan, you can't see how this hurts the team a bit? Aside from what you consider more important?

1. Rask's agent is drooling puddles right now.
2. Thomas could have probably got us a decent return on the trade market.
3. We're stuck with his cap hit, which limits the team (if I recall what I read correctly).
4. If he wasn't dealt, the #1 goalie just bolted on the team.

As Bruins fans, you can't see why that might leave a slightly sour taste in some people's mouth? It hurts the team a bit, whether or not his reasoning trumps that stuff aside...
Rask's agent and Thomas's agent are the same person.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:17 PM
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions

Quote:
I don't really get this point that more than a few have brought up. Rask is psyched now since the job is his, so why would he do anything except sign with the team and be handed the starting job? He's an RFA so it's not as if he's gonna take Chia to the cleaners with his contract.

Old
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74
Peter Chiarelli says if Thomas doesn't play he'd be suspended and still on cap. Would use Savard's hit as cap relief.

So Timmy's salary counting on the cap but the Bruins suspend Thomas and still pay his salary? OOG help !!!
B's wouldn't pay him. He'd get no money. But the team would have his cap hit on their cap.

Again, when they signed him to a 35+ contract they were wedded to $5m no matter what (ok 4.9m if they sent him to the AHL). I tried to tell people at the time that those 35+ are killers. Now, I was wrong because the guy won us a Cup, but this is the end result. It was still worth signing him but there are now consequences.

Old
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Rick, as a Bruins fan, you can't see how this hurts the team a bit? Aside from what you consider more important?

2. Thomas could have probably got us a decent return on the trade market.
3. We're stuck with his cap hit, which limits the team (if I recall what I read correctly).
4. If he wasn't dealt, the #1 goalie just bolted on the team.

As Bruins fans, you can't see why that might leave a slightly sour taste in some people's mouth? It hurts the team a bit, whether or not his reasoning trumps that stuff aside...
As a fan, I'm disappointed he won't be helping the Bruins win games. he was my favorite Bruin without a doubt.

However, to every single one of those number points: Why does Thomas care?
You think while he was mulling over this decision, thoughts of Rask's/his agent drifted through his head? "Oh **** I can't take a year off, the Bruins may have to pay more to Tuukka!"

I mean, really? Does it suck for us as fans? I guess? Maybe? I don't know. I guess I'd be more concerned about it if we were up against the cap. but we're not. Putting Savard on LTIR will negate Thomas' contract, Khudobin will cost less and if we ever decide to sign a top 6 scorer, we'll still have space to do that too so I'm not really seeing us getting handcuffed here.

And even if we were, that's none of Thomas' concern. I'm guessing family trumps a cap issue.

Old
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Rask's agent and Thomas's agent are the same person.
Ok, he's still just seen the former's next contract increase substantially. I guess the argument could be made that the increase there will be off-set by the loss if TT doesn't sign another deal after this season, but it still hurts the Bruins at least (they have to pay Tuukka more).

My point was that some Bruins fans could see this as less than optimal for the team, and them having the same agent doesn't really negate that.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

What if they waive him and then he retires? Would his salary count against the cap then, or would he have to clear, then retire?

Pretty sure them agreeing to do it that way is a form of circumvention violation though.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:18 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo9966 View Post
I call BS!! The bruins were more than fair to him when they signed him to that contract and they did it as a part of showing their appriciation for what he did just the year before taking a chance not knowing he would be the goalie he is today.

Thomas just about single handedly won us the Cup.

Okay that was hyperbole but there's no way the Bruins win the Cup without his heroics. That's as close to a stone cold fact as you're going to get.

Thomas owes the Bruins NOTHING.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainone99 View Post
Are they allowed to bury him in the minors?
No cap relief for over 35 contracts by sending him to the minors.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
As a fan, I'm disappointed he won't be helping the Bruins win games. he was my favorite Bruin without a doubt.

However, to every single one of those number points: Why does Thomas care?
You think while he was mulling over this decision, thoughts of Rask's agent drifted through his head. "Oh **** I can't take a year off, the Bruins may have to pay more to Tuukka!"

I mean, really? Does it suck for us as fans? I guess? Maybe? I don't know. I guess I'd be more concerned about it if we were up against the cap. but we're not. Putting Savard on LTIR will negate Thomas' contract, Khudobin will cost less and if we ever decide to sign a top 6 scorer, we'll still have space to do that too so I'm not really seeing us getting handcuffed here.

And even if we were, that's none of Thomas' concern. I'm guessing family trumps a cap issue.
My point wasn't how any of those implications affect Thomas, it was why those implications might leave Bruins fans a bit sour. The obvious response to that is to say "Well, he won those fans a Cup", and there's some truth to that. I'm not advocating hate for the guy, just saying that Bruins fans are going to be torn on this, as it hampers the team a bit, no matter how you cut it.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:21 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Ok, he's still just seen the former's next contract increase substantially. I guess the argument could be made that the increase there will be off-set by the loss if TT doesn't sign another deal after this season, but it still hurts the Bruins at least (they have to pay Tuukka more).

My point was that some Bruins fans could see this as less than optimal for the team, and them having the same agent doesn't really negate that.
It's less than optimal, sure. But I don't see it handcuffing Chia in any way.

Old
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
No cap relief for over 35 contracts by sending him to the minors.
You're right. But there is a cap relief sending them for free to another team who wants to reach the floor without having to pay the actual cap hit...

Old
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
There are plenty of low spending teams that would like to have that 5M Cap Hit on their payroll paying 0$.

He he does really take a year off, then just give him away to one of these teams to free up that 5M.

Watching on Capgeek, the Avs have only 23M commited for next year. Chia will gladly help them raise this by 5M...
Or they could get a player who will play for them this year and not have to worry about carrying a contract for no reason.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:22 PM
missingchicklet

Don't anyone let the facts get in the way here:

1) Tim as at the top of his career.
2) Tim absolutely loves the game of hockey and competing.
3) With another great year this coming year he will be set to sign a decent short-term contract worth good money.
4) Tim doesn't have many years left to play at a high level.
5) Tim has busted his tail for Boston and helped bring us a Cup and is still beloved by many fans.
6) By sitting a year out Tim may very well lose some of his edge and find himself as the two goalie, which would kill any chance of a big short-term contract with another team after he's done in Boston.

Now, with all of that said, why in the hell would he pull a dick move out of the blue? All of the evidence points to a very legit reason for Timmy taking a year off. It's disgusting to see how ****ing petty and holier than thou some fans can be without having any real knowledge.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Or they could get a player who will play for them this year and not have to worry about carrying a contract for no reason.
Each year, there are teams struggling to reach the floor.

Here comes Tim Thomas 5M Cap Hit costing them 0$ and no assets.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
i'm sure the Islanders would love the extra $5m to get to the capfloor without having to pay him.
Isles can resign Parenteau and Montoya,the 3 dmen they need to fill out a roster and the 2 or 3 more fs they need... and they are at the cap floor.

No need for Thomas. Add something to Thomas and maybe they do you the favor.

Old
Jimbo9966

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Thomas just about single handedly won us the Cup.

Okay that was hyperbole but there's no way the Bruins win the Cup without his heroics. That's as close to a stone cold fact as you're going to get.

Thomas owes the Bruins NOTHING.
I beg to differ sorry, i remember when he first got called up because two of our goalies went down from injury and he was horrible. No other team would have even came close to giving him a chance and the salary the bruins did. He owes the bruins a big thank you for getting him to where he is and not tring to stick it to them.

Old
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
i'm sure the Islanders would love the extra $5m to get to the capfloor without having to pay him.
That's exactly what I said.

Worst come worst, If Chia really needs to send his 5M away to sign someone else, he may also send a pick with him to one of these near the floor/plenty of cap space teams.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:

And since they signed him to that deal they've tried to trade him at least once and are probably working on doing it again... after he won u 2 vezinas and a stanley cup. Way to bite the hand that feeds you.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
What if they waive him and then he retires? Would his salary count against the cap then, or would he have to clear, then retire?

Pretty sure them agreeing to do it that way is a form of circumvention violation though.
I'll say it again: His contract was a 35+ contract. The league wanted to avoid teams signing an older player to a contract where they spread out the cap hit over many years including seasons in which they would no longer play.

example: 38 year old player is signed to a 7 year 21m contract. That makes the cap hit 3m a year, even though they know he's only going to play for 3 and then retire (meaning he really got paid 7m a year). To stop that from happening the league put in this clause.

No matteer what..... the hit stays on the books (only exception is a trade, then the hit goes on the new teams books). Waive, minors, retire, suspended, benched, bought out.... it doesn't matter.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:30 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
I beg to differ sorry, i remember when he first got called up because two of our goalies went down from injury and he was horrible. No other team would have even came close to giving him a chance and the salary the bruins did. He owes the bruins a big thank you for getting him to where he is and not tring to stick it to them.
Uh huh... and like I said. he played his ass off for the Bruins when it counted and won the Cup.

Get over it.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Jimbo9966

I'm calling it now, Thomas gets traded to columbus in the deal for nash without thomas being a factor in the trade, just to unload the cap hit.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
patty59

Quote:
I was at his first game as a Bruin, it was in Edmonton and if I remember correctly, he got the W and it was a SO.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
I remember when the Bruins tried to trade him and he told them he wanted to stay in Boston. He wanted to play for the Bruins. And then he went and had one of the best season's by a goaltender that any of us have ever witnessed. He carried the team to its first Stanley Cup in 39 years. The Bruins owe him a big thank you for that nice new banner and all those shiny new rings JJ had to buy.

For the record, I'll agree with Felger and Mazz. Both sides did fine, neither were completely wronged, they don't "owe" each other anything. If anything, the fans owe TT.

Closed Thread