Tim Thomas may take the year off?

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
There are plenty of low spending teams that would like to have that 5M Cap Hit on their payroll paying 0$.

He he does really take a year off, then just give him away to one of these teams to free up that 5M.

Watching on Capgeek, the Avs have only 23M commited for next year. Chia will gladly help them raise this by 5M...
Or they could get a player who will play for them this year and not have to worry about carrying a contract for no reason.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:22 PM
missingchicklet

Don't anyone let the facts get in the way here:

1) Tim as at the top of his career.
2) Tim absolutely loves the game of hockey and competing.
3) With another great year this coming year he will be set to sign a decent short-term contract worth good money.
4) Tim doesn't have many years left to play at a high level.
5) Tim has busted his tail for Boston and helped bring us a Cup and is still beloved by many fans.
6) By sitting a year out Tim may very well lose some of his edge and find himself as the two goalie, which would kill any chance of a big short-term contract with another team after he's done in Boston.

Now, with all of that said, why in the hell would he pull a dick move out of the blue? All of the evidence points to a very legit reason for Timmy taking a year off. It's disgusting to see how ****ing petty and holier than thou some fans can be without having any real knowledge.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Or they could get a player who will play for them this year and not have to worry about carrying a contract for no reason.
Each year, there are teams struggling to reach the floor.

Here comes Tim Thomas 5M Cap Hit costing them 0$ and no assets.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
i'm sure the Islanders would love the extra $5m to get to the capfloor without having to pay him.
Isles can resign Parenteau and Montoya,the 3 dmen they need to fill out a roster and the 2 or 3 more fs they need... and they are at the cap floor.

No need for Thomas. Add something to Thomas and maybe they do you the favor.

Old
Jimbo9966

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Thomas just about single handedly won us the Cup.

Okay that was hyperbole but there's no way the Bruins win the Cup without his heroics. That's as close to a stone cold fact as you're going to get.

Thomas owes the Bruins NOTHING.
I beg to differ sorry, i remember when he first got called up because two of our goalies went down from injury and he was horrible. No other team would have even came close to giving him a chance and the salary the bruins did. He owes the bruins a big thank you for getting him to where he is and not tring to stick it to them.

Old
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
i'm sure the Islanders would love the extra $5m to get to the capfloor without having to pay him.
That's exactly what I said.

Worst come worst, If Chia really needs to send his 5M away to sign someone else, he may also send a pick with him to one of these near the floor/plenty of cap space teams.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo9966 View Post
I call BS!! The bruins were more than fair to him when they signed him to that contract and they did it as a part of showing their appriciation for what he did just the year before taking a chance not knowing he would be the goalie he is today.

Way to bite the hand that feeds you.
And since they signed him to that deal they've tried to trade him at least once and are probably working on doing it again... after he won u 2 vezinas and a stanley cup. Way to bite the hand that feeds you.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
What if they waive him and then he retires? Would his salary count against the cap then, or would he have to clear, then retire?

Pretty sure them agreeing to do it that way is a form of circumvention violation though.
I'll say it again: His contract was a 35+ contract. The league wanted to avoid teams signing an older player to a contract where they spread out the cap hit over many years including seasons in which they would no longer play.

example: 38 year old player is signed to a 7 year 21m contract. That makes the cap hit 3m a year, even though they know he's only going to play for 3 and then retire (meaning he really got paid 7m a year). To stop that from happening the league put in this clause.

No matteer what..... the hit stays on the books (only exception is a trade, then the hit goes on the new teams books). Waive, minors, retire, suspended, benched, bought out.... it doesn't matter.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
I beg to differ sorry, i remember when he first got called up because two of our goalies went down from injury and he was horrible. No other team would have even came close to giving him a chance and the salary the bruins did. He owes the bruins a big thank you for getting him to where he is and not tring to stick it to them.
Uh huh... and like I said. he played his ass off for the Bruins when it counted and won the Cup.

Get over it.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Jimbo9966

I'm calling it now, Thomas gets traded to columbus in the deal for nash without thomas being a factor in the trade, just to unload the cap hit.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:32 PM
patty59

Quote:
I was at his first game as a Bruin, it was in Edmonton and if I remember correctly, he got the W and it was a SO.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
I remember when the Bruins tried to trade him and he told them he wanted to stay in Boston. He wanted to play for the Bruins. And then he went and had one of the best season's by a goaltender that any of us have ever witnessed. He carried the team to its first Stanley Cup in 39 years. The Bruins owe him a big thank you for that nice new banner and all those shiny new rings JJ had to buy.

For the record, I'll agree with Felger and Mazz. Both sides did fine, neither were completely wronged, they don't "owe" each other anything. If anything, the fans owe TT.

Old
EverettMike

"Timmy owes the Bruins!"

Um, how exactly does employment work again?

Also, the Bruins don't owe Timmy anything other than some respect and the same goes for Timmy to the bruins. He went to them last season, so it isn't like he sprung this on them the day before FA started or something.

Now, we also don't know how much Timmy explained this potential decision to them. Maybe he gave them all the facts, maybe not. WE DON'T KNOW!

But he doesn't owe them for "giving him a chance." People make it sound like it was charity. They signed him for some depth in the organization because they were familiar with him and knew he had some talent and had just had an amazing season in a pretty good league.

So stop with that crap.

Old
Kovi

I'm so confused

Old
06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Ok, he's still just seen the former's next contract increase substantially. I guess the argument could be made that the increase there will be off-set by the loss if TT doesn't sign another deal after this season, but it still hurts the Bruins at least (they have to pay Tuukka more).

My point was that some Bruins fans could see this as less than optimal for the team, and them having the same agent doesn't really negate that.
I can't see that really. Rask is still a RFA, so unless another team offer sheets him, Chia's hands aren't really tied any tighter than they were before. It gives Rask maybe a little bit more leverage, but I can't agree that it's going to significantly increase his next deal.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:40 PM
jmanny24

I've read through the whole thread. One thing I haven't seen, If this is a family issue for TT, it didn't sound like he got a lot of sympathetic backing from Chiarelli. There was no "we will support Tim in whatever he decides." type quote. Maybe it is just me but I found that interesting.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
You can bet that the next CBA will have the rumoured one-time anmesty clause to help Snyder and others to solve sticky contracts.
And naturally it won't help the Bruins in the least because Chiarelli doesn't give out mistake contracts....

The real world is so fair.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
My point wasn't how any of those implications affect Thomas, it was why those implications might leave Bruins fans a bit sour. The obvious response to that is to say "Well, he won those fans a Cup", and there's some truth to that. I'm not advocating hate for the guy, just saying that Bruins fans are going to be torn on this, as it hampers the team a bit, no matter how you cut it.
All true. I think the biggest question really is going to be exactly what "a bit" is going to play out to mean.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
RussellmaniaKW

this really sucks because these are prime cup contention years for the Bruins. I have total faith that Tuukka can be the man, but it sucks that we'll lose Timmy and yet not lose his cap hit. At least if it was a trade, we can use the money to make the team stronger in fron t of Tuukka.

Just bummed out b/c I was really hoping for a repeat this year and when it didn't happen I was willing to write it off due to fatigue, lack of hunger, etc. However I was really looking forward to them bouncing back next year and either riding Timmy for another season or using his cap hit to improve the team. This is a pretty big setback IMO.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanny24 View Post
I've read through the whole thread. One thing I haven't seen, If this is a family issue for TT, it didn't sound like he got a lot of sympathetic backing from Chiarelli...
It's all pretty nebulous at this point.

Last edited by misterjaggers: 06-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins

Remember when the Sharks took on Vladamir Malakhov's cap hit in exchange for NJ's 1st round pick? That's what it'll take to dump Tim Thomas's cap hit if he goes through with this.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Timmy owes the Bruins nothing, and all the Bruins "owe" him back is thanks for what he did in his time with us. No more or less than any other player really. I hope that when he officially retires it is as a Bruin. Does the NHL support those 1 day trades that have been allowing long-time Sox to retire as a member of the Sox in recent times?

Timmy is always going to be one of my favorite players of this era, along with Savvy, Bergy, Chara and Samsonov. Just won't change no matter what happens!

Old
06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
this really sucks because these are prime cup contention years for the Bruins. I have total faith that Tuukka can be the man, but it sucks that we'll lose Timmy and yet not lose his cap hit. At least if it was a trade, we can use the money to make the team stronger in fron t of Tuukka.

Just bummed out b/c I was really hoping for a repeat this year and when it didn't happen I was willing to write it off due to fatigue, lack of hunger, etc. However I was really looking forward to them bouncing back next year and either riding Timmy for another season or using his cap hit to improve the team. This is a pretty big setback IMO.
Well it isn't completely and totally "official" yet that he's taking the year off. Although I'm guessing that will be the case.

Lack of Tim between the pipes absolutely hurts us. Hopefully we have something equally special with Tuukka and Dobby.

cap his? Ehh.. I don't see it as a big issue. It's really only an issue if Chia had plans of spending to the cap and his interviews lately didn't exactly confirm to me that he was willing to make a splash in free agency this summer or anything. And even if he does, by putting Savard on LTIR, we still have a decent amount left over. Even moreso if we don't sign one of Campbell or Kelly (although I hope we get Kelly back).
But all that's speculation. I'm certainly no capologist. But think as of right now, there are only 3 players not signed. Tuukka, Campbell and Kelly and we have ~$12m in cap space. Sign Rask and Kelly and have Knight or Bourque play? /shrug

Old
06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanny24 View Post
I've read through the whole thread. One thing I haven't seen, If this is a family issue for TT, it didn't sound like he got a lot of sympathetic backing from Chiarelli. There was no "we will support Tim in whatever he decides." type quote. Maybe it is just me but I found that interesting.
Maybe you haven't seen or heard Chiarelli much in interviews, but he's not the type to say much along those lines.

The players very obviously like and respect him, so I suspect he's a lot more personable in person. But when he's talking into a microphone, he always plays it close to the vest.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
jmanny24

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
It's kind of difficult to support a decision that hasn't been made yet.
While that is true you would think Chiarelli would be more privvy to what is going on and deflect questions about consequences and have people concentrate on supporting TT in his difficult time. Again I don't know just something I found interesting.

Closed Thread