HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part X

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Yes.

I know plenty of people like him ....

"Like him" does not equal "knowing Him"

Old
06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Al McNeil won the Cup and they called in bomb threats to his place. He had to be dispatched to Nova Scotia after winning the Stanley Cup. So, no. Some fans don't give a puck whether we win or lose. As long as the right ethnic type is in place. How many? I don't know but it must be enough for Bertrand Raymond to feel comfortable saying what he said on RDS last night.
yeah 1971 - 2012 roughly the same quebec....

Old
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Kid Dynomite

Believe of this what you will but...

Creasy ‏@The_Creasy
Patrick Roy has also recently been contacted by the Washington #Capitals to become their next head coach.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

As for Roy being a good coaching candidate.........no thanks. He is a world class ******* who would implode and throw everyone and everything under the bus to try and save his own neck if/when things started going south. He has absolutely no integrity and is a self centered ego-maniac who should be kept far away from this organization.
I constantly see people slamming Roy and his "ego" and using that as a negative.

If Roy were truly an "ego-maniac", he would have imploded years ago (and I mean literally, not some raging from the bench) and would have been out of hockey. He is only a 1/4th owner of the Remparts after all.

So what about ego. One of the biggest egos in hockey belonged to Scotty Bowman with his chin jutted out and his air of self assurance and arrogance. He was a winner. Steve Jobs had a huge ego and was a cocky man. He created a winner.

Having an arrogant ******* in leadership is not a bad thing. It is far superior to having a strong ego leading a team than a timid leader lacking confidence. After all, almost ALL of the NHL players have egos (they know that they are the best of the best-------or else they wouldnt be there).

Patrick Roy's ego is a non-issue. The issue will be whether he is attuned to the NHL of present where aggressive play wins championships. Both New Jersey and LA are playing aggressive hockey. None of the passive **** that we have seen in Montreal for the last decade or so.

That will make or break Patrick Roy.......not his temper or yelling at the refs (which I think will be a refreshing change of pace.....especially since the refs screwed the Canadiens a lot during Martin's tenure and he just took it quietly).

Oh, and Carbo needs to stay wherever he is right now. He is not a communicator and his hockey decisions were to the detriment of this team. We do not need him as an assistant.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I constantly see people slamming Roy and his "ego" and using that as a negative.

If Roy were truly an "ego-maniac", he would have imploded years ago (and I mean literally, not some raging from the bench) and would have been out of hockey. He is only a 1/4th owner of the Remparts after all.

So what about ego. One of the biggest egos in hockey belonged to Scotty Bowman with his chin jutted out and his air of self assurance and arrogance. He was a winner. Steve Jobs had a huge ego and was a cocky man. He created a winner.

Having an arrogant ******* in leadership is not a bad thing. It is far superior to having a strong ego leading a team than a timid leader lacking confidence. After all, almost ALL of the NHL players have egos (they know that they are the best of the best-------or else they wouldnt be there).

Patrick Roy's ego is a non-issue. The issue will be whether he is attuned to the NHL of present where aggressive play wins championships. Both New Jersey and LA are playing aggressive hockey. None of the passive **** that we have seen in Montreal for the last decade or so.

That will make or break Patrick Roy.......not his temper or yelling at the refs (which I think will be a refreshing change of pace.....especially since the refs screwed the Canadiens a lot during Martin's tenure and he just took it quietly).

Oh, and Carbo needs to stay wherever he is right now. He is not a communicator and his hockey decisions were to the detriment of this team. We do not need him as an assistant.

I agree .

Got no problem with Roy being too "fiery ", all these people saying that forget Pat Burns.We just had a guy with emotions equivalent to a stone , some "fire" behind the bench would be a welcome sight.

Rangers coach has a little too much for some , but he got them to conference finals .

The biggest thing we need is a coach who hates to lose,doesn't have a hockey style from 1991 , and will work with WELL with our young guys.I want a coach that don't want 4 liners playing top line minutes, want a coach who won't play forward as dmen ...I want a coach who won't try to justify stupid decisions.
I want a coach who won't try to sit on leads , or sit back when down goals ......I want a coach who will let the players play to there strengths, not try to turn them into something there are not ,I want a communicator coach who can be on a level with the players , not some old or young dictator.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-01-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 04:58 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

I don't have a problem with ego. In my mind, ego can be the pressure in the pipe. However, if that pipe is going in the wrong direction, that pressure is only getting you farther away, faster.

In other words, it will bring Roy to his ultimate destination sooner rather than later. Roy will be an absolute coup, or a disaster, but if the other two choices are Crawford and Therrien....

Old
06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
mistercassadine77

I know juniors is different than the NHL but for those who have followed Roy's coaching career what style does he employ? Is it more defensive or a modern attacking style?

Old
06-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't have a problem with ego. In my mind, ego can be the pressure in the pipe. However, if that pipe is going in the wrong direction, that pressure is only getting you farther away, faster.

In other words, it will bring Roy to his ultimate destination sooner rather than later. Roy will be an absolute coup, or a disaster, but if the other two choices are Crawford and Therrien....
Berg can't really lose here.He brings in Roy as coach? Majority of fans will agree with that.

And if it bombs? Berg will get one more chance IMHO.Probably best now to pick the rookie,and if he does flop , try to save yourself with a vet the second time etc. If Roy bombs 2 or 3 years ,you likely got a shot again at a vet like Vancouver's coach ...Detroit's coach etc .

I think in the court of public opinion ,Roy would be picked over any candidates left.I gotta be honest, i can't see Roy bombin in the NHL ...i just can't see it .This is different than say Gretzky or even say Carbo with little coaching exp .

Roy coached a lot of games in last 7 years.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-01-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercassadine77 View Post
I know juniors is different than the NHL but for those who have followed Roy's coaching career what style does he employ? Is it more defensive or a modern attacking style?
he hates Guy Boucher trap style ...that's all we need to know ..

Old
06-01-2012, 05:15 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Berg can't really lose here.He brings in Roy as coach? and it bombs? Berg will get one more chance IMHO.Probably best now to pick the rookie,and if he does flop , try to save yourself with a vet the second time etc.

I think in the court of public opinion ,Roy would be picked over any candidates left.

I gotta be honest, i can't see Roy bombin in the NHL ...i just can't see it .
This is different than say Gretzky or even say Carbo with little coaching exp .

Roy coached a lot of games in last 8 years.
I don't believe in any sure things. I do think that if Roy fails (and he most definitely could), he will go down in flames. I don't even think that this is necessarily a bad thing. I think Roy is the kind of guy who would set off TNT if he thought it would right a sinking ship. Not the kind of guy to sit idly by, slowly losing his grip, you know? He'd take bigger and bigger risks if he had to.

I do agree with you that Berg will be fine no matter what happens with Roy, although I'd go even a step further and assume he'd be fine no matter which coach he chooses fails. Dude inherited a team that finished 3rd to last. People won't be happy with the bumps in the road, but I don't think they'll lose their **** considering how bad the canadiens are perceived to have been at the time of his taking over.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't believe in any sure things. I do think that if Roy fails (and he most definitely could), he will go down in flames. I don't even think that this is necessarily a bad thing. I think Roy is the kind of guy who would set off TNT if he thought it would right a sinking ship. Not the kind of guy to sit idly by, slowly losing his grip, you know? He'd take bigger and bigger risks if he had to.

I do agree with you that Berg will be fine no matter what happens with Roy, although I'd go even a step further and assume he'd be fine no matter which coach he chooses fails. Dude inherited a team that finished 3rd to last. People won't be happy with the bumps in the road, but I don't think they'll lose their **** considering how bad the canadiens are perceived to have been at the time of his taking over.

As painful as this year was, if we pick Roy and it bombs?I already could live with a shot at Nathan MacKinnon....Don't get me wrong ,i want to see this team be a contender asap,and i think we turned a corner cleaning the house , but depending on the coach they pick , it could be a few more years and some low finishes ahead.Most important for me is to see a team giving it a honest effort ,up tempo style hockey, every night,not gettin pushed around .If that happens and we still sink next yr, i can live with that.

They need the right coach"motivator", one the players won't tune out like Martin or Randy due to the style they were being asked/forced to play .
From everything i seen and read on Roy he finds ways to get the best out of players,he's a great "communicator".....that's what we need.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-01-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
On the Harltley miss, skip, whatever you all want to call it. Funny speculation out there is Montreal only offered 2 years(Yeah the analysers) will tell you that's when Joel Quenneville free's up & obviously Calgary was more committed.

Take it for what it's worth, let's see if the new coach signs for 2 years.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
If Roy's team won their respective championship this year, naming Roy as coach would be a much easier decision.
I actually think it would have been a much harder time for Bergevin, if he didn't want him. People have seen Bob Hartley being involved in the Memorial Cup win and are pulling their hair out because the Habs let him go. Can you imagine if Roy won the Memorial cup? Bergevin would have been run out of town if he would not have picked him.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
On the Harltley miss, skip, whatever you all want to call it. Funny speculation out there is Montreal only offered 2 years(Yeah the analysers) will tell you that's when Joel Quenneville free's up & obviously Calgary was more committed.

Take it for what it's worth, let's see if the new coach signs for 2 years.
IFFFFFF Bob Hartley really wanted to be in Montreal? He'd be here.
If Bob Hartley really wanted to give Montreal a chance? he would have met with Montreal after Calgary.

Let's move on ...

The number of years offered was pointless.Montreal could have offered 8 years..he was going to Calgary to be with his buddy .

I dunno if it was possible , but when Gauthier fired Martin and Flames still had a coach , he should have tried to get Hartley over then for last 50 games.

Would have been a nice test run ...If it didn't work out? let him walk end of year.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-01-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 05:44 PM
SB164

L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver

No meeting is scheduled with Patrick Roy in upcoming days and no formal offer has been made by #Habs. @TVASports

Old
06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Player 61
#Winning

@Habaneros, too simple, what would be the fun in that!

Old
06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver

No meeting is scheduled with Patrick Roy in upcoming days and no formal offer has been made by #Habs. @TVASports

Just so we all know, Marc said we might not have a coach at the draft..Really what is the hurry? Heck it looks like season might not start this year anyways!

Old
06-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Just so we all know, Marc said we might not have a coach at the draft..Really what is the hurry? Heck it looks like season might not start this year anyways!
No one's hurried, except the god damn media.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
@Habaneros, too simple, what would be the fun in that!
We shall never worry , we got coach Larry Carriere if need be ...

Old
06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
We shall never worry , we got coach Larry Carriere if need be ...
Almost forgot! merci..

Old
06-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Kid Dynomite

jp_tvasports ‏@jp_tvasports
Selon mon collègue Dave Morissette, Michel Therrien a rencontré l'organisation du Canadien à 3 reprises

Old
06-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Player 61
#Winning

The waiting is the hardest part....

Old
06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
jp_tvasports ‏@jp_tvasports
Selon mon collègue Dave Morissette, Michel Therrien a rencontré l'organisation du Canadien à 3 reprises
Seems legit.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfever View Post
Seems legit.
Yeah solid dynamite!

Old
06-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I actually like Therrien. I think he's a good coach, I like his style(emotive) and I like the way his teams play(up tempo but responsible). But I think he's less of an attractive coach because he's been with us before. In Montreal you need an atom bomb candidature that captures people's imagination. That is why I cannot think of any other choices but Roy to make people happy.

Closed Thread