Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro Bandwagoner View Post
He's going to waste one of his two, maybe three good years that he has left? I don't get it.
Like I said earlier... it must be very important. The guy's clock is winding down, he's not going to throw away a year of playing and $3m without a damn good reason.

Old
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro Bandwagoner View Post
He's going to waste one of his two, maybe three good years that he has left? I don't get it.
how is he "wasting it"?

Old
jmanny24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Kessel, Bergeron, Savard... Chiarelli never says much beyond providing information. He's just not the type to get gushy with the media. And I don't blame him, with everyone trying to read his reactions like they're goat entrails at Delphi.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply. I hope things with TT are ok, this is a weird weird situation

Old
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Kessel, Bergeron, Savard... Chiarelli never says much beyond providing information. He's just not the type to get gushy with the media. And I don't blame him, with everyone trying to read his reactions like they're goat entrails at Delphi.
Honestly, the most emotion I've ever seen out of Chiarelli in recent years was the NHL's handling of the Marchand "clipping" incident. He was visibly pissed off.

Other than that. The guy is a closed book with everything really.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanny24 View Post
I guess that is the crux of the issue for me, and apologies for being a bit snarky in my reply. If he wants to be with his family, what is a year off going to do? He should retire and enjoy them what else does he have to accomplish? Good for him to go out at the top of his game.

But if it is more than just spending time with the family why wouldn't Chiarelli come out and say we will support Tim in his decisions?

A strange situation all the way around
Christ.

“I’m disappointed,” said Chiarelli, who acknowledged being surprised by Thomas’s declaration. “These things happen. You’ve got to roll with them. You’ve got to deal with them. When someone talks about their family, you have to respect that. You’ve got to deal with it. We’re not too disabled on the cap side. But sure, that’s the strength of our team.”

If Thomas wants to share with the world what's going on, it's his business, not Chiarelli's. The GM's job is to offer information about his team, not about Tim Thomas's private life.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._assuming.html

Old
06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Why? "My family is more important than my job" should be enough for you.

you can understand it anyway you like. It really has very little to do with how you feel. sorry
"Family" is an easy way to get out of anything no questions asked and people left feeling sorry for you (Not accusing Tim anything). I'd like to know more, but I don't feel obligated to know. He doesn't owe me anything. He doesn't owe the Bruins anything. I'm fully aware of that. I'm just curious because it does somewhat influence how I view him and his legacy.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
"Family" is an easy way to get out of anything no questions asked

or it's the most important thing in your life because you made a commitment and you want to honor your responsibilities.

and no "job" ever comes before that

Old
06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Remember when the Sharks took on Vladamir Malakhov's cap hit in exchange for NJ's 1st round pick? That's what it'll take to dump Tim Thomas's cap hit if he goes through with this.
It won't cost nearly as much. This was year 2 of the Cap era and there wasn't many teams with a lot of Cap space under the then 44M cap ceilling.

Right, many teams have space and some are struggling to even reach the floor without losing money. Chia will be able to get rid of this Cap Space at a very low cost if any.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
"Family" is an easy way to get out of anything no questions asked and people left feeling sorry for you (Not accusing Tim anything). I'd like to know more, but I don't feel obligated to know. He doesn't owe me anything. He doesn't owe the Bruins anything. I'm fully aware of that. I'm just curious because it does somewhat influence how I view him and his legacy.
Tim hasn't done anything to warrant doubts of his true feelings and I see no reason to start doubting him now.

If he says that he wants to spend time with his family instead of playing out his contract.. that's good enough for me. And unless evidence surfaces to prove otherwise, it should be good enough for every Bruins fan.. in my opinion.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

vCash: 200
I'm confused. In the US you just call your boss and tell him you won't come to work for the next year and he has to accept that? Holy christ.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:15 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
I'm confused. In the US you just call your boss and tell him you won't come to work for the next year and he has to accept that? Holy christ.
When you've made ~$20+ million plus dollars. You can do whatever the **** you want.

EDIT - also.. I always find it funny when people try and compare an athletes job to that of a regular desk job Just don't do it.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:16 PM
jmanny24

Quote:
Christ.

“I’m disappointed,” said Chiarelli, who acknowledged being surprised by Thomas’s declaration. “These things happen. You’ve got to roll with them. You’ve got to deal with them. When someone talks about their family, you have to respect that. You’ve got to deal with it. We’re not too disabled on the cap side. But sure, that’s the strength of our team.”

If Thomas wants to share with the world what's going on, it's his business, not Chiarelli's. The GM's job is to offer information about his team, not about Tim Thomas's private life.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._assuming.html
I get it, it was an honest observation, that's all jeez

Old
06-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Not exactly, no. I'll let someone who works in HR get into the intricacies of how leaves of absence work here. It can get... complicated. And that's without the complexity of an actual contract.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:17 PM
canadiansbronco

Well if he is taking a year of at 38 he might as well retire because a comeback at 39 after one year away from the game is going to be pretty hard if not impossible

Old
06-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Turk 16

On a more boring note, does anyone know how a "year off" affects the mutual obligations under the contract? I assume it means the Bruins own his rights for the full term of the non-performed part of the contract if and when he returns?

And if that's the case, why is the cap hit incurred next year even if he doesn't play? Why wouldn't the hit be deferred as well?

Does the CBA cover this type of situation?

Old
06-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
Not exactly, no. I'll let someone who works in HR get into the intricacies of how leaves of absence work here. It can get... complicated. And that's without the complexity of an actual contract.
I won't bore you all.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:21 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Honestly, the most emotion I've ever seen out of Chiarelli in recent years was the NHL's handling of the Marchand "clipping" incident. He was visibly pissed off.

Other than that. The guy is a closed book with everything really.
Business first. I like that, such as with the Patriots also. As opposed to money and media attention first, with the Red Sox.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:22 PM
McKuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanny24 View Post
I guess that is the crux of the issue for me, and apologies for being a bit snarky in my reply. If he wants to be with his family, what is a year off going to do? He should retire and enjoy them what else does he have to accomplish? Good for him to go out at the top of his game.

But if it is more than just spending time with the family why wouldn't Chiarelli come out and say we will support Tim in his decisions?

A strange situation all the way around
I think because he was contacted by Thomas's agent and not man to man so who knows what this is.
The conspiracy nut in me wants to say this is his way of controlling all negotistions as to where he ends up. He sets the bar at no services. No trade value, and full cap hit and goes from there. Screws the b's potential return for him as well as puts him squarely in the drivers seat as far as if he'll play and for who.
Maybe it's just how I was raised but you do something like this man to
Man if possible at least in person on he phone if not, not through your agent.
Again maybe it's just me

Old
06-01-2012, 05:23 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKuato View Post
I think because he was contacted by Thomas's agent and not man to man so who knows what this is.
The conspiracy nut in me wants to say this is his way of controlling all negotistions as to where he ends up. He sets the bar at no services. No trade value, and full cap hit and goes from there. Screws the b's potential return for him as well as puts him squarely in the drivers seat as far as if he'll play and for who.
Again maybe it's just me
Where was it confirmed this was through his agent?

EDIT - ah on Boston.com

Old
06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
There are plenty of low spending teams that would like to have that 5M Cap Hit on their payroll paying 0$.

He he does really take a year off, then just give him away to one of these teams to free up that 5M.

Watching on Capgeek, the Avs have only 23M commited for next year. Chia will gladly help them raise this by 5M...

Give Thomas away and forget about any asset value he might have had in a normal situation. Tough outcome for the Bruins.

Yet giving him away looks like the only outcome that makes sense. How realistic is it for another team to do it?

Last edited by Alan Ryan: 06-01-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 05:28 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Typical, HF boards typical

Old
06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKuato View Post
Again maybe it's just me

I don't....what?

Old
06-01-2012, 05:33 PM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
or it's the most important thing in your life because you made a commitment and you want to honor your responsibilities.

and no "job" ever comes before that
"Family" can mean a lot of things (which will no doubt lead to a lot of speculation). I would never expect a man to put his "job" before family.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Daishi

Quote:
In Germany a guy can't give his notice essentially during the summer holiday and quit? Tim Thomas quit. He won't get paid. If he comes back he's going to negotiate a new contract with whoever he wants.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
No, traditionally you give two weeks' notice.

Thomas gave five months' notice.

Take time off, don't get paid. Just like any other job.

Closed Thread