HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Cullens offseason gameplan for the AVs

Old
05-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Drizzt1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Whoever signs Schultz will be in trouble. He supposedly said he already decided where he'll sign and Ducks are getting ready to file tampering charges against the team he signs for on 1st of June, I think his buddy Gardiner did a pretty good job selling him Toronto.
Whoops, yeah, hehehehe - sign him on, or after July 1.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Whoops, yeah, hehehehe - sign him on, or after July 1.
I see I posted June instead of July.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Kloparren
Hth

This is something interesting I came across. It's used stats so word of caution but it basically shows that Hejda and O'Byrne (though they weren't an actual pairing fo rmuch of the season) were the two dmen to get the least amount of offensive zone start time. Maybe because they were being used in a pure defensive role or they just got hemmed in a lot.

Eberle conversely I know has a high shooting % and him/RNH were somewhat sheltered so I expect him to continue to be good but possibly a drop in numbers with more adversity.

Last edited by Kloparren: 05-31-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

They were used as a shutdown pair and their skills aren't exactly something that would entice the coach to give them a lot of O-zone starts.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Drizzt1

That's a large chunk of our problem. When your most offensive D-man gets 20 odd points, you'd assume most, if not all of your defensemen are stay at home type guys.

That should translate to very few goals against, but it doesn't.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
They were used as a shutdown pair and their skills aren't exactly something that would entice the coach to give them a lot of O-zone starts.
Yea when the plan is to win the faceoff back, crash the net, and get a shot from the point, Hejda and O'Byrne aren't really the guys you want out there.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Whoever signs Schultz will be in trouble. He supposedly said he already decided where he'll sign and Ducks are getting ready to file tampering charges against the team he signs for on 1st of July, I think his buddy Gardiner did a pretty good job selling him Toronto.
Yea the whole thing sounds pretty fishy. I hope that's true. I can't wait to see Burke's hypocrisy expose itself again and get tampering charges brought on him.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Whoever signs Schultz will be in trouble. He supposedly said he already decided where he'll sign and Ducks are getting ready to file tampering charges against the team he signs for on 1st of July, I think his buddy Gardiner did a pretty good job selling him Toronto.
If a really crappy team (Oilers, BJs, Islanders, etc) actually tampered, then they probably shouldn't take the risk.

But I would want the Avs to go ahead and sign Schultz even if they did tamper. No team is that stupid so it will be hard to prove but even if it is proven, the league will probably take one 1st round pick and fine the team. If Schultz is as good as everyone says he is, then giving up a 1st round pick for him will be well worth it.

He's most likely going to a team like the Leafs or Canucks though.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
That's a large chunk of our problem. When your most offensive D-man gets 20 odd points, you'd assume most, if not all of your defensemen are stay at home type guys.

That should translate to very few goals against, but it doesn't.
Opposing coaches are smart enough not to match their top lines against those two and EJ's partners this season weren't exactly stellar defensively and the guy that played the most time with him is a turnover machine. And opposing teams usually had a field day playing against our 3rd pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea when the plan is to win the faceoff back, crash the net, and get a shot from the point, Hejda and O'Byrne aren't really the guys you want out there.
Yep, that's what I was thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea the whole thing sounds pretty fishy. I hope that's true. I can't wait to see Burke's hypocrisy expose itself again and get tampering charges brought on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
If a really crappy team (Oilers, BJs, Islanders, etc) actually tampered, then they probably shouldn't take the risk.

But I would want the Avs to go ahead and sign Schultz even if they did tamper. No team is that stupid so it will be hard to prove but even if it is proven, the league will probably take one 1st round pick and fine the team. If Schultz is as good as everyone says he is, then giving up a 1st round pick for him will be well worth it.

He's most likely going to a team like the Leafs or Canucks though.
It's sure going to be fun following how this develops. I wouldn't want it to be us, because it sets a bad image around the league, if it's the Oilers, if they finish in the bottom 3 and are forced to give their 2013 pick (this means one of MacKinnon - he's going to be scary good, Jones or Barkov) I'd probably suffer from a laugh induced heart attack.

And I wouldn't be schocked if it's Edmonton, their GM seems like a egomaniac and he's not really smart IMHO, plus Oilers have been rumored to be the frontrunners for his services.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Have a look at the player usage chart under Colorado, one of these links should work:
http://sites.google.com/site/hockeya...attredirects=2

http://sites.google.com/site/hockeya...attredirects=2

What they're saying based on these hocus pocus stats anyways is that Hejda/O'Byrne were overused in that role. If we made the playoffs and did well then fine but it didn't work. Those two big circles basically mean way too many shots directed against us when they're on while you'll notice Johnson and Wilson have blue circles (which I believe is more shots for). So it's saying that Sacco should've leaned on the others more because these two didn't work out. Imo, if you take a holistic approach to it, you have to see that the SOB issue needs to be fixed (by replacing him with a better dman basically).

Lindstrom/Kobasew/Porter really did suck according to this.

Also gives a bit of support to how good of a season Lando/Orly had.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
This is something interesting I came across. It's used stats so word of caution but it basically shows that Hejda and O'Byrne (though they weren't an actual pairing fo rmuch of the season) were the two dmen to get the least amount of offensive zone start time. Maybe because they were being used in a pure defensive role or they just got hemmed in a lot.

Eberle conversely I know has a high shooting % and him/RNH were somewhat sheltered so I expect him to continue to be good but possibly a drop in numbers with more adversity.

Also note the quality of competition.

Helton4Hall is online now   Reply With Quote