HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pre-game preparation vs. your mental state

Old
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
The only things that affect me are alcohol the day of or night before (this makes me really slow and feel like crap) or eating too much food too close to the skate. Otherwise nothing really matters, outside the usual ups and downs.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Guffaw

Just curious...

Why does everyone always say "just" rec league or beer league? Almost as if it is a joke or less important than any other organized game with 2 teams, a ref, and a score keeper.

Other than pro, or a high level league that produces pro players why is it any better or worse?

Some of the teams in our Mens A division would have run over my high school and club level college teams so what is the factor that makes mens league hockey lower?

Well over 99% of us aren't good enough to do this for a living so here's a news flash. The team/league the vast majority of us are in is "just" for fun as well. The fact that your parents spent $3-$5k and are in the stands doesn't really make you any more important. Your still paying to play vs. getting paid to play.

I train for pickup/mens league just as hard as i trained in high school and college and I'm not the only one. It's a hockey game no matter what.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
CunniJA

I agree with that to a large extent. I don't see any problem with being competitive regardless of your skill level.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
I agree with that to a large extent. I don't see any problem with being competitive regardless of your skill level.
Thanks, but again it seems there is a misconception that mens league means low skill level. That has not been my experience. It varies from novice to the 22 yr olds just finished college/junior, to the 30/40somethings that may have a lost a step, but more than make up for it in 30+ years experience.

Maybe my experience is different than most, but our leagues have plenty of good players and when the puck drops I don't see anyone going half speed because it's "just" beer league.

Don't get me wrong, there are no scouts in the stands, but there aren't for most non mens league games either is my point. I play with plenty of 30-50yr olds that imho are just all around better hockey players than the 18 yr. old puck hogging speedsters that show up at pickup and play JR/Little Flyers or local college teams.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Stickmata

Only ritual I have is I make sure I take a dump before the game. Nothing worse than getting out to warmups and realizing you need to drop a deuce.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I say rec league because that's what it is. My league is literally adult recreational hockey, that's what it's called. Just to differentiate from competitive junior/high school/college/etc.

Had to have a beer to calm down with a game in an hour. Should be a crappy game, but beats having a panic attack on the bench.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I say rec league because that's what it is. My league is literally adult recreational hockey, that's what it's called. Just to differentiate from competitive junior/high school/college/etc.

Had to have a beer to calm down with a game in an hour. Should be a crappy game, but beats having a panic attack on the bench.
I hear you and to be clear beer, rec, mens, adult, etc. aren't demeaning terms imo. Just titles.

It's the "just" that confuses me. You prepare? It's just mens league. You workout for hockey? It's just beer league. You bought a $100 stick? For just mens league?

Unless you are going pro, after ~22 yrs old it's going to be mens league and pickup for all of us. Roughly 15 years of meaningful hockey at most and then up to 50 years of meaningless hockey? I don't get what the difference is. Competitive games against opponents of similar skill with a ref, linesman, scoreboard. It doesn't feel any different to me going into the corner with another 39 year old on the "black" team than it did when I was 20 and the other jersey said "Pitt" or "WVU".

I think alot of guys feel the same. They're just afraid to admit it. When the puck drops guys give everything at any age, level, or league. If not they wouldn't be out there at midnight on a work night.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
TieClark

I always like to have pasta and chicken before a game... other than that I'm normally pretty chill unless it's the finals or something

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For me, competitive hockey is what you do as a kid or young adult when your goal is to make it as far as possible, either high school, college, or the pros. Rec hockey is what you do for fun as an adult, where there's no future in it per se other than your enjoyment.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Wooty

For me, being as good as I was capable of at the point in my life was important. Then of course this at times made me feel awful. Playing is expensive and worth a physical investment in effort

Last edited by Wooty: 06-02-2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: I don't think it matters
Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:03 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
I play rec league..

Few things I follow on game day:
-No sexual activity on day of
-Drink 1.5L of water throughout day
-Eat final meal no later than 3hrs before game(I cramp easily)
-Drink pre-workout drink 30mins prior to game (during drive to game)
-Get some stretching in to ensure optimum limberness

Also I wholeheartedly agree with everything Guffaw posted above. I have never been the type to half-ass anything in life, and I take rec league pretty seriously. I play hard and I expect the same from my teammates, I play to win and subsequently have fun. I play D and against the better teams I'll devote myself to a grinding shutdown role. Oftentimes, scoring isn't my goal, winning as a team is. A team win feels better than scoring one goal in a losing effort. The ends justify the means and I'll do whatever it takes to win.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For me, competitive hockey is what you do as a kid or young adult when your goal is to make it as far as possible, either high school, college, or the pros. Rec hockey is what you do for fun as an adult, where there's no future in it per se other than your enjoyment.
Good point. That may be the one difference. There is no potential to "make it" once you reach mens league status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Also I wholeheartedly agree with everything Guffaw posted above. I have never been the type to half-ass anything in life, and I take rec league pretty seriously. I play hard and I expect the same from my teammates, I play to win and subsequently have fun. I play D and against the better teams I'll devote myself to a grinding shutdown role. Oftentimes, scoring isn't my goal, winning as a team is. A team win feels better than scoring one goal in a losing effort. The ends justify the means and I'll do whatever it takes to win.
Amen Sir, and that's all that really matters. It's my team. We're in a battle. I'm giving all I have to win just like I always did. Pickup is "just" pickup. Games with 2 teams, refs, and where the score is kept are competition. There's no shame in being passionate about something and doing everything you can to be your best no matter what age or league classification.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also, after the pre-game beer, I was pretty calm on the bench but must have a bug since my heart rate was super high all game and was coughing more than normal. Left early.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:07 AM
GraveyTrain9

just simply showing up at the rink > going through ridiculous pre game routines

at least in my experience...

GraveyTrain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I know there was a lot of differing opinion in another thread I started on the topic of pre-game drinks, hydration and sports energy drinks in particular. I'll ask this here since I'm kind ongoing back and forth on it and it was part of my "pre-game" thing.

Do you guys think sports energy drinks such as Red Bull, Monster, etc. add anything at all in the sense of increased awareness? Are they of any benefit at all or something not to be messed with?

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Ethereal Whisper
La Reine des Neiges

vCash: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Do you guys think sports energy drinks such as Red Bull, Monster, etc. add anything at all in the sense of increased awareness? Are they of any benefit at all or something not to be messed with?
My experience is anecdotal and totally un-scientific, but playing sports of any kind (hockey or otherwise), I've occasionally had a sugarless (this is key, I've had "regular" ones and they backfire) energy drink (usually an 8 oz. Red Bull since they're small) and I've felt like I've performed a bit better and was more aware of the game around me.

Of course, it could be a placebo effect as well. My advice if you want to try it at all is, either get an 8 oz. Red Bull, or if you get one of the American brands, only drink half of it. And make sure it's the sugarless version. I've generally had it about 1 hour before the game.

Ethereal Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Nah, just eat a banana and drink some water

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote