HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ridiculous Gear Thread, Part 2

Old
05-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
Oh I googled it, what would be wrong with that?
You are not cool unless you break your foot.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
You are not cool unless you break your foot.
Unless your playing in a league with EX-Pro players, the changes of you breaking a bone in your foot from a Johnny 9 to 5 slapshot are slim. (If you have modern skates on) I don't care if a 300lb 6'7'' guy is on your team. Even if he has the physical structure to launch at puck at 95mph, his form is probably off and his velocity suffers.

Skate fenders are only useful at extremely high levels and are only needed for penalty killers and blocking shot Dmen..

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Unless your playing in a league with EX-Pro players, the changes of you breaking a bone in your foot from a Johnny 9 to 5 slapshot are slim. (If you have modern skates on) I don't care if a 300lb 6'7'' guy is on your team. Even if he has the physical structure to launch at puck at 95mph, his form is probably off and his velocity suffers.

Skate fenders are only useful at extremely high levels and are only needed for penalty killers and blocking shot Dmen..

They could be useful for people that have some sort of condition or people that don't want to be in pain.

Last edited by Wooty: 06-01-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:54 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Some might call it a jersey foul, but if I buy a goalie jersey to play in and it has a Pro's name on it I replace the name bar with my own last name. Not out of any sense of vanity or grandeur, I just feel weird wearing the name of someone half my age.
Plus, I'm a Canucks fan and don't need the "LOLongo" chirps from my friends who are Oilers fans.
If I buy a jersey to wear off-ice, it'll only have a name of a player in his veteran years. Why? I have no idea. I'm 50, look 40, but don't want a Hodgson jersey to try and look 30. I'd rock a Lidstrom, but not a Henrique. I know, it makes no sense.

In all my years of playing, I found that the further away from elite ice leagues, the more the overcompensation. Flashier numbers in roller, more fights and taking it waaay too seriously in ball hockey. I saw a ball team wearing authentic Kings jerseys in 1993, with every player wearing the same gloves and helmets as the rest. Thir captain had a 99 and a C. He took a minor for unsportsmanlike before the opening face off after swearing at a ref that couldn't stop laughing at him. True story.
One of the things that drives me INSANE is guys coming to pickup in orange, teal, mustard, or whatever, but no black or white jersey. It's distracting, fries my retinas, and makes keeping track of who's on what team difficult.

I chirp in fun and never make it mean, except for telling one goof that he skated like a player from the movies. When he asked which one, I said the chimp from "MVP", except slower.

kevinsane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:

Im going to have to disagree with you on this one. I have had two different guys on my teams get fractures from pucks. My original statement was a joke and I dont wear them but I dont blame anybody for wearing them.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:44 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
I saw a ball team wearing authentic Kings jerseys in 1993, with every player wearing the same gloves and helmets as the rest. Thir captain had a 99 and a C. He took a minor for unsportsmanlike before the opening face off after swearing at a ref that couldn't stop laughing at him. True story.
That is priceless.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:52 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
horrible colored jerseys and d-bags are definitely chirp worthy.. but i disagree with skate fenders.

lower end modern skates offers little to no protection at all, i blocked a board pass a few months ago with my x2.0, it hit just below my ankle joint and stung like hell.. no injury whatsoever but imagine if that was a 70 mph slapshot, which i believe is the average slapshot velocity of a good enough player.

i just don't think it's right to chirp someone who's concerned about their own safety.

i'm still not gonna wear fenders.. though i'm always on the lookout for top-end equipments on ebay, i mean if you can get a Totalone stick for $120 - $150, why bother settling for a supreme one80 that costs $120 on retail stores?

I don't even mind wearing used ones, as long as it's still in great shape and those will reduce the price even more. Chances are. even though i'm using top-end gears, it'll probably still costs less than any other players around me.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree, I don't care what level you play if a guy has a decent shot and you catch it in the foot then skate fenders are going to help soften the blow. I have never worn them but have thought about it after taking a few shots to the feet on the PK.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I messed up a friend's ankle for months after he caught a hard pass funny on the side of his skate.

And I had a foot sprain for about a year after taking a slapper to the boot until I got new skates.

Both of these happened at D-level rec league.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Stickmata

Quote:

So not true. I'm a winger and I've taken a few brutal shots off my foot from one of our large D-men in a mid level rec league, and after one of them wound up not being able to play for two months. Any decent slap shot can break your foot depending upon where it hits you. I've thought about fenders but just can't bring myself to wear them.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I don't think anyone said it's bad to match. Just that wearing a full pro kit as a rec league player looks silly.
Theres a kid who plays pickup decked out in full Ovechkin gear. Hes a new player, and a good kid so he doesnt get chirped much but we do laugh at him from the bench.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
I chirp in fun and never make it mean, except for telling one goof that he skated like a player from the movies. When he asked which one, I said the chimp from "MVP", except slower.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Theres a kid who plays pickup decked out in full Ovechkin gear. Hes a new player, and a good kid so he doesnt get chirped much but we do laugh at him from the bench.
A kid in the Sunday night pickup game I play in skates like a figure skater, when he turns he puts the skates together and does some kinda weird U turn. Needless to say this kid gets chirped hard.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:45 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
A kid in the Sunday night pickup game I play in skates like a figure skater, when he turns he puts the skates together and does some kinda weird U turn. Needless to say this kid gets chirped hard.
See, I don't think that's fair. He probably WAS a figure skater. But whatever his background, he's out there, he's playing, he's learning.

How about spending 30 seconds before or after a game showing him a hockey turn rather than chirping him? If he reacts like a d-bag to constructive criticism, then you win.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Ex figure skaters as hockey players are pretty impressive. The guy who taught my nephew and some of the junior players to skate was a figure skater in Russia and came here doing Disney on Ice.
He used to be the skating coach for the Pens; now he's the skating coach for the Bruins.
He has a personalized Crosby autograph made out to him that reads "fastest feet I ever met".

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd assume any actual figure skater would leave guys in the dust in pickup.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:27 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
See, I don't think that's fair. He probably WAS a figure skater. But whatever his background, he's out there, he's playing, he's learning.

How about spending 30 seconds before or after a game showing him a hockey turn rather than chirping him? If he reacts like a d-bag to constructive criticism, then you win.
He wasn't a figure skater. He's admitted he's new to hockey. The kid is a complete dbag, loves to hack the hell out of people but if anyone touches him he whines to daddy who also skates with us.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
esidebill

I'm not a fan of laces other than grey/white/yellow. The lime green/pink ones are horrible...

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well that's a world different than chirping a guy because he makes turns like a figure skater.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Wooty

the last league team I played on (not pick up) had several girls on it and they all wore pink laces. Some of the guys did too, I would have but lacing my skates is too much of a pain in the ass to do it.

Actually if they had given me the pink laces, waxed, I would have done it.

The fender thing is not something I would care to do, I am sort of a minimalist but I know it hurts to get hit on the instep or even on the lace part.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 564
Only somewhat relevant, but I've always thought it would be funny to show up with a replica jersey of a country's national team that isn't exactly known for hockey.

Should have seen about getting a New Zealand hockey jersey while I was still there.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Only somewhat relevant, but I've always thought it would be funny to show up with a replica jersey of a country's national team that isn't exactly known for hockey.

Should have seen about getting a New Zealand hockey jersey while I was still there.
This is a fantastic thing to do. You may have to explain it but it is growing the sport and making your participation fun for everyone.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

I rock my China IIHF jersey on rare occasions

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:30 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:

this would definitely be cool and a good talking point

nothing to chirp about

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Wooty

Quote:

Fun Jerseys would be jersey's for strange places like "Vatican City" or places that aren't real, "Team Death Star" is one that came up in my head - Wait New Zealand isn't real is it?