HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part II) - Brooks: Rangers after Radulov

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 07:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
With Gaborik's injury, they need to address their primary scoring issues.

There is no guarantee that he will be fully healed and conditioned when ever the season starts.

So, we should discuss the realistic options to add primary scoring now. Unfortunately it escalated from secondary scoring needs to primary.

The Gaborik injury is bad news all around.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
This will certainly spice up the off season. I just hope Sather doesn't get desperate and force a Nash trade. Teams will now force our hand knowing we're desperate

Old
06-01-2012, 08:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
This will certainly spice up the off season. I just hope Sather doesn't get desperate and force a Nash trade. Teams will now force our hand knowing we're desperate
That's what I'm worried about.

I'm not expecting a repeat of winning the Conference. Maybe not even the Division. Though i feel it is possible.

But that was with our primary scorer. And adding depth to free him up a bit.

I hope Sather doesn't do anything rash. But does something sly. Like the Gomez trade.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
lol someone bet a million VCash on the Devils...

Old
06-01-2012, 08:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

What are folk's feelings on Devin Setoguchi?

Old
06-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If we sign Schultz, Erixon MIGHT make Del Zotto trade-able (not sure that's a real word i used there). Del Zotto could sweeten a package for a top line scorer.

I really have a hard time parting with Dubinsky because of his board play, and his puck possession down low. The forecheck we lacked against the Devils. A third line of Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan really gives us solid depth.

And i agree, teams will have us right where they want us as far as trades. Knowing Gaborik is hurt and we have to replace the goals. They'll have the leverage.

If we miss out on Parise, I wouldn't trade for Nash or Ryan. It would cost way too much.

I don't know what other options there would be because, we aren't GMs and we aren't in those private conversations.

Who would be realistic secondary options in trade? I've gone through the league rosters and came up with a list of possibilities as far as secondary trades go.

Trades

Ryane Clowe
Dave Bolland
Drew Miller
Steve Downie
Drew Stafford ?
Sean Bergenheim
Devin Setoguchi

Free agency

David Jones
Kyle Wellwood
Jarret Stoll
Paul Gaustad

I used to like Setoguchi a lot. He's struggled a bit recently. But maybe he can catch a bit of fire here? Decent contract.

We were having a discussion in the draft thread..

Anyway that's kind of what I am feeling in regards to signing Schultz and possibly being able to trade one of our D-men. It's coming down to a point where we may be forced to move someone we really don't want to, from a position of strength that is. Whether it be an MDZ or a Dubinsky, guys we could use and don't want to give up on but we might be able to get a real scoring wing with.

The problem with this year is that look at your projected trade targets and free agents, a lot of borderline 2nd liners there that I would be all over if we were trying to improve our 3rd line. Which I think might be the case anyway. Gaborik's injury hurt us in several ways, but who knows if that really plays into discussions with other GM's we all know Sather is pretty savvy on the trade front. I can see them trying to stiff arm us due to Gaborik's injury but if that's the case I think Sather tells them to take a hike.

I think at this point if you can get Nash for a reasonable price you jump on it, Ryan will cost a lot regardless of Gaborik's status. I for one am not entirely sure he's available. I don't think staying put is a viable option, not saying we should blow it up, but we need to hope that a top 6 winger becomes available. If nothing else then I would be fine with injecting more youth and not going for it all next season.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:53 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Buying low on him could be a very smart move. At this point he could probably be had for a draft pick or prospect.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:56 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Buying low on him could be a very smart move. At this point he could probably be had for a draft pick or prospect.
The Wild have no incentive to trade him, especially--as you said-- that his value is at a low.

They're better off holding on to him.

06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
The Wild have no incentive to trade him, especially--as you said-- that his value is at a low.

They're better off holding on to him.
You're probably right, Chuck Fletcher would be stupid to trade him when his value is this low. The only way I see Seto traded is if upper management really feels that he's a bad fit there.

A name I haven't seen mentioned here yet is Derek Roy. Down year, and there's a chance the Sabres may trade him. $4 million cap hit and has the skill that this team needs.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:19 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I like those moves but it's not enough.

How can you feel comfortable going into the season, and especially the playoffs with Gaborik as our primary and only goal-scorer? Didn't we see how that works the last two post-seasons? Especially this one since we had a much better team all-around.

We cannot rely on Gaborik to a) be 100% healthy and b) carry the offense as the only legit goal scoring threat

It's insanity to think otherwise. Literally, it's the definition of insanity. Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If Ovechkin can't carry the offensive load by himself, Marian Gaborik certainly can't either.

We NEED to add a top-line forward, preferably a goal scorer, but at the very least someone who can be counted on to be a factor in those tight playoff games when we NEED to score a goal.
Because there's not many options out there.

I don't want Nash at all and Parise will likely cost a massive overpayment to pry him away from NJ. I said i'd like Ryan. If Sather can get him for a Del Zotto and pick or something, I would possibly do it. I'd hate to lose him, though.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
I'd take him for cheap for the third line.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I think Ryan is unlikely to be moved, and wed have to severely overpay if he was at all available.

Nash is definitely available and I think if we do get him, it will be on Sather's terms. Thinking something along the lines of Del Zotto, [Dubi or Ani], Miller, Thomas, and a 1st or conditional 1st/2nd based on how far the Rangers go in the playoffs, or if they win their division, perhaps.

I think it's unlikely that Parise signs here, but you never know. The most I would offer would be a retirement deal (10+ years with a few years tacked on at the end at a low salary to make the average yearly salary (the cap-hit) somewhere around 6.5 million. I see him going to Detroit, Chicago, Boston, or staying in Jersey. Also, I think the Islanders are a dark horse. His dad played for the Isles, he wouldn't have to relocate, and while they operate under an internal budget that's lower than the cap ceiling, they will have plenty of cap-space to offer a lucrative deal, and he'd be guaranteed first line minutes playing with Tavares. I think the Isles need to go hard after Suter, though. They really need defensive help, and while I doubt Suter would want to go there, money talks and if they throw the wallet at him, who knows.

Iginla would be a nice addition, but I can't see Calgary moving him until the deadline, because they'd never be able to explain to their fanbase why they traded Jarome if they find themselves in a playoff spot come Februrary. And I can't see their GM not trying to screw us in the deal after the bad taste the Erixon deal left in their mouth, even though it was Erixon's action, not the Rangers that initiated the deal.

I'd also be very interested in Marty St. Louis at the right price. Fantastic playmaker. Chemistry and familiarity with Richards, Feds, and Tortorella. I'd give up DZ and a mediocre prospect or a 1st for him. Probably wouldn't be enough to make it worth it from Yzerman's perspective.

Whitney is the ideal stopgap, even though he's more of a passer than a goal scorer.

Jagr is still a great player, although he does not fit the team identity. Personally, I think we need to institute more of a puck possession game, which Jagr certainly helps. The forechecking, grinding, dump and chase style takes a lot more energy than a system that is built around HAVING the puck and not giving it up, even of its 200 feet from your net. Keep plays alive. There needs to be some kind of adjustment in this direction going forward. As we continue to inject more skill into our lineup, we will be more and more able to play a puck possession game.

Blake Wheeler is a guy I think would work wonders with Stepan. Big body, great passer, heavy shot. He won't come cheap as he just came off a 64 point season (only 17 goals but 47 assists, wow!)

Bogosian is a defenseman I'd love to grab for the right price. Righty-shot. Big body. Hits hard. Heavy shot. There's some untapped offensive potential there too, and his contract is decent. 2.5 for this year and then he's a RFA. I wonder if WPG would do Del Zotto for Bogosian straight up. Same age. DZ put up 40 points this year, Bogosian 30. Del Zotto will get a very similar cap-hit this offseason.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:05 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I think Ryan is unlikely to be moved, and wed have to severely overpay if he was at all available.

Nash is definitely available and I think if we do get him, it will be on Sather's terms. Thinking something along the lines of Del Zotto, [Dubi or Ani], Miller, Thomas, and a 1st or conditional 1st/2nd based on how far the Rangers go in the playoffs, or if they win their division, perhaps.

I think it's unlikely that Parise signs here, but you never know. The most I would offer would be a retirement deal (10+ years with a few years tacked on at the end at a low salary to make the average yearly salary (the cap-hit) somewhere around 6.5 million. I see him going to Detroit, Chicago, Boston, or staying in Jersey. Also, I think the Islanders are a dark horse. His dad played for the Isles, he wouldn't have to relocate, and while they operate under an internal budget that's lower than the cap ceiling, they will have plenty of cap-space to offer a lucrative deal, and he'd be guaranteed first line minutes playing with Tavares. I think the Isles need to go hard after Suter, though. They really need defensive help, and while I doubt Suter would want to go there, money talks and if they throw the wallet at him, who knows.

Iginla would be a nice addition, but I can't see Calgary moving him until the deadline, because they'd never be able to explain to their fanbase why they traded Jarome if they find themselves in a playoff spot come Februrary. And I can't see their GM not trying to screw us in the deal after the bad taste the Erixon deal left in their mouth, even though it was Erixon's action, not the Rangers that initiated the deal.

I'd also be very interested in Marty St. Louis at the right price. Fantastic playmaker. Chemistry and familiarity with Richards, Feds, and Tortorella. I'd give up DZ and a mediocre prospect or a 1st for him. Probably wouldn't be enough to make it worth it from Yzerman's perspective.

Whitney is the ideal stopgap, even though he's more of a passer than a goal scorer.

Jagr is still a great player, although he does not fit the team identity. Personally, I think we need to institute more of a puck possession game, which Jagr certainly helps. The forechecking, grinding, dump and chase style takes a lot more energy than a system that is built around HAVING the puck and not giving it up, even of its 200 feet from your net. Keep plays alive. There needs to be some kind of adjustment in this direction going forward. As we continue to inject more skill into our lineup, we will be more and more able to play a puck possession game.

Blake Wheeler is a guy I think would work wonders with Stepan. Big body, great passer, heavy shot. He won't come cheap as he just came off a 64 point season (only 17 goals but 47 assists, wow!)

Bogosian is a defenseman I'd love to grab for the right price. Righty-shot. Big body. Hits hard. Heavy shot. There's some untapped offensive potential there too, and his contract is decent. 2.5 for this year and then he's a RFA. I wonder if WPG would do Del Zotto for Bogosian straight up. Same age. DZ put up 40 points this year, Bogosian 30. Del Zotto will get a very similar cap-hit this offseason.
Good analysis.

I believe Nash will be a Ranger. I suspect That both DZ and Dubi, Miller or thomas and a 1st will get him. Slightly less than Howson wanted. Slightly more than Sather would give at the deadline. I believe his style is a fit in nY. The Gabs injury makes a scorer a bit more of a priority. Dubi isn't really a fit for anyone playing money hockey unless he can generate far more offense. DZ has potential but the Rangers are receiving a more known quantity that fits their needs. Sure, I would take a top six (Parise) for salary only but I suspect that's not going to happen. Richards is turning 33. Gabs 31. Nash only 28 so he could be there though Henriks reign. Maybe the kids could excel but having a Nash on board (with the current personnel should give the team a chance to compete for the SC for the next number of years. Most importantly, it will give the posters more shots to monday morning quarterback the trade.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

I don't see the offer for Nash raising since the trade deadline. I don't see MDZ going to CBJ

Old
06-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I don't see the offer for Nash raising since the trade deadline. I don't see MDZ going to CBJ
I bet Sather is like "Go Go reclamation projects."

Old
06-02-2012, 04:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
He's not moving. He's a good filler right now for the Wild while their prospects develop in the minors.

He had a bad season given he just signed an extension and was traded almost immediately after, getting adjusted to an entirely different system and team devoid of talent, multiple injuries (thank you Shanahan) including himself, getting hit by a car in the off-season, which was the start of his injuries.

Once he settles down and we get something resembling a top 6, he should be okay.

So Minnesota has no reason to move a top 6 winger for peanuts.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Not his biggest fan, but he'd add skill to the top 6 in Gaborik's absence and then move down to the 3rd line. I might bite on him if the price was right, which I don't think it will be.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
I don't think so either....Howson i think really messed up and won't get nearly as much for Nash after going to the media and saying that Nash asked to be traded...and you have to trade him NOW before the start of the season because first off now you have a captain that does not want to be on the team, which is bad for the team and the fans...and Howson would be really messing up if he cant move him.

I agree though, MDZ will not be a part of the deal, torts likes him and how he has improved and slats likes him

Old
06-02-2012, 08:19 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Here's another option, just throwing it out there.

Create a ridiculous defense corp.

Sign Shea Weber and Schultz

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-x
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

McDonagh-Weber
Staal-Girardi
Erixon/Del Zotto-Schultz

Old
06-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Here's another option, just throwing it out there.

Create a ridiculous defense corp.

Sign Shea Weber and Schultz

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-x
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

McDonagh-Weber
Staal-Girardi
Erixon/Del Zotto-Schultz
Only thing is, our D is pretty solid right now, especially if we sign Schultz. Our problems this year weren't defense, it was offense. We need a big time goal scorer who we can look to for definite offense.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:35 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Wouldn't mind kicking the Chris Stewart wheels. He's scored 64 and 53 points and is only 24. Maybe last year was a fluke- and if it wasn't, we're in a position where we're a good enough organization where a trade like this won't really hurt us if the price is right.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:32 AM
DutchShamrock

People keep mentioning guys on down years, and they aren't considering Dubinsky as a part of the trade to bring them in. Sounds like an opportunity to target a scoring forward in a 'sell low' move for both clubs. We've done it more than once.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

The trade proposals are killing me

Only 20 more days till the draft. I think I can make it.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
The trade proposals are killing me

Only 20 more days till the draft. I think I can make it.
In main boards? haha i read em like i would the funny pages.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
In main boards? haha i read em like i would the funny pages.
I meant on this board lol. EVERY thread I go into, whether it's an injury thread, an off-season thread, or a signing thread, there are trade proposals being tossed around everywhere, some of which are really stupid.

It's just funny.

You can't go on HF Boards without seeing trade proposals every which way you look

Closed Thread