HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik out 5-6 months (Torn Rotator Cuff)

Old
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

vCash: 500
Makes a lot of sense. He was still skating well in the playoffs but he had absolutely nothing along the boards and I don't know if I saw him take one strong wrister.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
So we pretty much just need to find someone to score until December-ish. Once he comes back, he will be ready and hopefully still have a lot of energy left for the playoffs.

This isn't the end of the world here.

06-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So we pretty much just need to find someone to score until December-ish. Once he comes back, he will be ready and hopefully still have a lot of energy left for the playoffs.

This isn't the end of the world here.
Nah, we need someone to help all year. He's not coming back 100%, might be awhile before he gets back in form. Either way we needed more offense this year that's not just going to suddenly change.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Well, I definitely need to eat a nice bowl of crow.

And he tried to grind it out out there. Damn...

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Fataldogg

It explains a lot. And validates his poor play over stretches in the post season. I don't think people realize how hard it is to compete at a high level with a tear in the rotator cuff. People should cut him a little slack right now. It's two post season's with the team, each of which, unfortunately, he's been hurt. A lot of NYR fans gave Callahan the benefit of the doubt because he played with a hurt hand. Well, Gaborik played with a hurt shoulder. He did the best he could out there. I'm sure he will still receive a ton of criticism and be labeled a choker, but to me it does explain a lot.

The key term there is "could" be out 6 months. I've had rotator cuff injuries before (torn labrum, Bankart lesion, Hill-Sachs lesion, etc.) and I am having another surgery on my right shoulder June 27th to repair the labrum.

Typical turn around is 4-6 weeks in a sling, 3+ months of physical therapy (4-5 months total). 6 months would be an EXTREME turn around for that kind of injury (especially if it is done through arthroscopic surgery).

I'm 25 and can recover within 5 months or less. Sure, Gaborik is older than me, but I know for a fact that he is a healthier / better conditioned individual. I would be SHOCKED if Gaborik was out for more than 4 months (if that helps put anyone at ease). He will be cleared for physical contact, probably sometime around September. He might not be ready for camp, but he should be ready to start the season around October. Sure, he won't be where he should be to start the season, especially his strength and conditioning (which will be a big blow to the team) but at least we should have him back around the start of the season.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Ballsy for playing thru it. Damn shame for him and the team and us. Hopefully he comes back 100% sometime next year. This makes finding some additional offensive capabilities for next year even more paramount.
Absolutely. It makes you wonder... Had he NOT had that tear in his shoulder, and he entered the post season at 100%... Would we be in the SCF right now? I think we probably would. Injuries are part of the game unfortunately, and when it happens to the top offensive player on your team, it truly limits your teams chances to win each night.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:43 PM
94now

Geese, 4 months in the sling. I would be depressed... Pretty much non-factor the entire next season from him. If Jagr couldn't pull it, not a chance for a smaller body, no way... Thanks for 2011-12, Marian.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Geese, 4 months in the sling. I would be depressed... Pretty much non-factor the entire next season from him. If Jagr couldn't pull it, not a chance for a smaller body, no way... Thanks for 2011-12, Marian.
Jagr was still the man in 06-07. People remember 05-06 and everything is a blur after it. Sure, 06-07 Jagr wasn't as good as 05-06 Jagr but he still finished top-10 and potted 96 points. Basically, everything was there but his shot.

Unfortunately, Gaborik doesn't have the same skill set as Jagr, so I do think it will impact him more.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:08 AM
trader11

Looks like Kreider is a lock now.....looking forward to seeing him put up big mins (and pts)!

trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Keirik

quite a few people here owe Gaby an apology. Whether or not they are adult enough to do so is a complete other issue.

Keirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:16 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
quite a few people here owe Gaby an apology. Whether or not they are adult enough to do so is a complete other issue.

This.

Get well Gabby.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:22 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Asking your top players to play like they're your top players is NOT "hating" on a player.

When you are paid to be and relied on to be, a top performing player, you are opening yourself to criticism if you don't perform.

Now that it's known he has an injury, it has given his "defenders" fuel. As if ANYONE knew of the injury.

There are NO haters of Gaborik around here. Only fans who expect what the organization expects of the player. Do i need to quote myself when i thanked him for his efforts after learning of the injury?

Now that he's injured, we have to replace his production. Going into next season assuming he will be healed and conditioned for games is a mistake.

Just like they won't assume Sauer will be ready, they can't assume Gaborik will be ready either.

That isn't "hating" Gaborik, either.

Folks were talking about getting another high-end scorer BEFORE Gaborik's injury was known. Now it's not tasteful?

They have to address it.

As far as the nationality thing goes. The "defenders" seem more xenophobic than the people asking him to perform. No one is referring to him as a "soft Euro" except for the "defenders".

Funny how we have no issues with Henrik. Or Anisimov. Or Stralman. Or Fedotenko.

I call BS on this. Calling Gaborik 'soft lazy Euro' is NOT a way of asking your top player to play like one. Gaborik and Del Zotto were the whipping boys last few weeks. There were 2 separate threads about them.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
if this CBA turns ugly yet again. Is there a possibility Bettman loses his job? Or do the owners love him?
If the owners were unhappy with Bettman, then they would fire him, not extend his contract and give him raises. The Commissioner of Hockey is not independent of the owners, he is the their mouthpiece. The majority of owners want to lower costs and the owners in small markets want the floor lowered so they can spend even less than they do now (after all, they'll say, Phoenix made conference finals...). Last time the owners of big market teams (Toronto, NY, Detroit, Philly) went along for the ride. If the owners are not completely united, then there's a chance that they will actually bargain in good faith and a deal can be worked out before many (even any) are lost. If they are united, then it will be very difficult to have any chance for a full season--who cares if they shoot themselves in the foot and lose some of the excitement that appears to building about hockey.

Anyway, I've always liked Gabby and I never doubted his effort--every winning team needs a player like him. I'm pretty sure he got hurt (or more hurt) in game 4--I remember getting a very bad feeling after he got hit.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:57 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Nash Rumors just went from about a 4 to an 8.

They'll get one of Nash or Parise this offseason to off-set the loss in the meantime, and add scoring.

It would be great to see Hagelin moved out of the top-6, in favor of Kreider and one of Nash or Parise. I think he's better served as a 3rd liner with offensive punch.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Knew it. Me and my old man figured his shoulder again. He had problems with it before. He isn't soft

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
Including Torts!
As per my earlier post, and Brooks' column in the Post today, I don't understand why he dumped on Gabby after they were eliminated. He knew Gabby wasn't 100% healthy (50% maybe) and still singled him out (along with Richards, who probably was hurt as well) for not elevating his game as the playoffs moved on. I know he doesn't want to give excuses, and holds all his players accountable, but he risks losing the team by doing this. Either he was sending a message, or there is a disconnect between coach/player(s)/organization.
Makes me think of the Scott trade at the deadline. Sather offers a 5th rounder for a guy Torts played a handful of games...
I really like Torts and think he's done a great job with the team's young players and the menatlity of the team, but there are some things that are head scrachers.

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
Including Torts!
As per my earlier post, and Brooks' column in the Post today, I don't understand why he dumped on Gabby after they were eliminated. He knew Gabby wasn't 100% healthy (50% maybe) and still singled him out (along with Richards, who probably was hurt as well) for not elevating his game as the playoffs moved on. I know he doesn't want to give excuses, and holds all his players accountable, but he risks losing the team by doing this. Either he was sending a message, or there is a disconnect between coach/player(s)/organization.
Makes me think of the Scott trade at the deadline. Sather offers a 5th rounder for a guy Torts played a handful of games...
I really like Torts and think he's done a great job with the team's young players and the menatlity of the team, but there are some things that are head scrachers.
Or maybe Gaborik was hiding the injury from the coaching staff? If you have that kind of injury, but have the will power to play through it, you're not gonna tell the coach about the injury because he might just sit you.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Yes. Gaborik is injury prone. He never has back to back healthy seasons.

Next season he will play 60 max and score 25 max. How will the rest of the offense do?

You cannot be a serious consistent contender with Gaborik he needs to go.

AMNESTY BUYOUT

I guess it's time for me to temper my hatred of Gaborik and give him credit for playing through a debilitating injury that negatively impacted his game vs the Devils.

What makes hockey the greatest sport of them all and separates it's players from all the rest is the warrior mentality that hockey players have to play through pain when the chips are on the line.

What Gaborik did is commendable; putting the needs of his team first and it's something that has been going on for as long as I can remember.

My childhood memories of Bobby Baun playing with a broken leg and scoring the winning goal in the Leafs 1967 stanley cup win is the rule and not the exception in our great sport.

Everybody around here knows all too well about my hatred of Marion Gaborik's style of play generally speaking but I've never disputed that he is a world class goal scorer who puts up great numbers when he is healthy.

That being said, I do believe that although he has been very productive and therefore a very good signing for the team, we would be best served to part ways when his contract runs out in 2014.
Nothing personal, it's just that it is highly unlikely that he will remain a productive scorer because of his history of injuries since entering the league.

I wish him well with his recovery!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Drew thinking clearly! that's what I like to see. I heard Killem Dafoe say he had trouble putting on his pants with the same injury.

Last time I checked, putting on pants is a lot easier than playing in the NHL Playoffs. Putting up 11 points in 20 games with a useless shoulder is quite the commendable achievement!

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Keirik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
Including Torts!
There is a chance Torts didn't actually know. Maybe Marian didn't really let on how serious his injury was in fear that he wouldn't be playing. Who knows. All I know is that if a guy like Callahan had played with this same injury, some fans here would be erecting a statue in his honor. When it's Gaby, he'll get dumped on for being injury prone. Ignorance at it's finest.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Deathdealer

was his shoulder injured the year befor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-_Hju5RQd8

Deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post

I've seen you post this video here at least 50 times. Are you gonna get over it?

If Callahan plays through an injury like this, he's a God. If Gaborik does the same, some fans will find a way to spin it in a negative light.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:

I don't get...what..? This isn't even...

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Keirik

Quote:

sweeeeeeeeeet! Thank you for proving my point so quickly. Congrats dude!!!

Old
06-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Deathdealer

lol you guys are great

Deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote