HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Malcolm Subban

Old
05-31-2012, 11:40 AM
tuckrr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If we take Subban, how long before habs fans are as annoying as the leafs fans with trying to get schenn?
this is probably the best argument to not draft him

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishna View Post
if we take subban, how long before habs fans are as annoying as the leafs fans with trying to get schenn?
Win!

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I would not take a goalie in the first round. There have been too many dud picks with goalies in the first round. I would use third round picks on goalies every year.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Schenn Bros

If Bryzgalov was not signed for another 9 years then sure but what is really the point to this? Defense is a main concern right now for this team, so perhaps drafting a highly-touted defenseman should be the best interest of the club.

Besides, goalies such as Pekka Rinne (258th overall, 2004), Brian Elliott (291st overall, 2003) and Ryan Miller (138th overall, 1999) prove that some of the better goalies in the league are drafted in the later rounds.

Super Schenn Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:24 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossgalov View Post
If Bryzgalov was not signed for another 9 years then sure but what is really the point to this? Defense is a main concern right now for this team, so perhaps drafting a highly-touted defenseman should be the best interest of the club.

Besides, goalies such as Pekka Rinne (258th overall, 2004), Brian Elliott (291st overall, 2003) and Ryan Miller (138th overall, 1999) prove that some of the better goalies in the league are drafted in the later rounds.
Jonathan Quick
Henrik Lundquivst
Miikka Kiprusoff
Evgeni Nabokov
etc.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:29 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
I doubt that Malcolm Subban will be the best player available, but how can you not advocate taking the best player? The Flyers basically have no good prospects right now at any position. Sure if you have a forward and defensemen in a dead heat right now, go for the defensemen. But other wise it would be foolish not to take the best player. Most prospects take years to reach the NHL. A need today won't necessarily be a need by the time a prospect is ready. Or trade the player for a position you need down the road. It would be silly not to get the best value for your team.

whatthef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No way in hell would I pick a goalie in the first round. That would be a TERRIBLE decision. Bryz is locked up for a thousand years. Hovinen is looking like he should be a serviceable backup. Under no circumstances should they pick a goalie in the first three rounds (I personally wouldn't take a goalie at all, but if they take a flyer on a guy in the later rounds, so be it).
Although I agree with not taking a goalie in the first, but drafting a goalie this year is not as insane as you think. A good portion of Bryz's deal will be complete by the time a goalie drafted this year is ready. Consider any goalie drafted will likely spend two years in juniors and at least two years in the AHL. That's 5 years gone from his deal. The goalie would be ready to back him up in year 6. Not to mention the odds are Bryzgalov probably won't be starter material at ages 37, 38, 39, 40 anyway.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
BillDineen

There was a TSN clip in which Button said if Malcom played in the WJHC he might be challenging for first overall.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Ryker

No, I wouldn't want us to pick Subban.

On the other hand, though, I find it funny how he's trolling the reporters.
Quote:
Subban, the No. 1-ranked North American goalie, was asked if he received any Combine tips from his brother, Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban.

"He gave me advice on how to be professional," Subban said.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...d=rss-morreale

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 02:59 AM
dats81

No. just NO to goalies in the 1st round!

It's a crap shoot....

Just a few examples:

P. Rinne: round 8
J. Quick: round 3
T. Thomas: round 9
H. Lundquist: round 7

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:12 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
No. just NO to goalies in the 1st round!

It's a crap shoot....

Just a few examples:

P. Rinne: round 8
J. Quick: round 3
T. Thomas: round 9
H. Lundquist: round 7
While I don't necessarily go for goalies in round 1 let's not pretend that all positions are equally a crap shoot. Other wise by that standard Lidstrom was taken in the 3rd round and is a top 5 defenseman all time, and arguably the 2nd best defenseman of all time. Therefor, never take a defenseman in the 1st round. BPA!!!!

Old
06-04-2012, 02:00 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I doubt that Malcolm Subban will be the best player available, but how can you not advocate taking the best player? The Flyers basically have no good prospects right now at any position. Sure if you have a forward and defensemen in a dead heat right now, go for the defensemen. But other wise it would be foolish not to take the best player. Most prospects take years to reach the NHL. A need today won't necessarily be a need by the time a prospect is ready. Or trade the player for a position you need down the road. It would be silly not to get the best value for your team.
well said.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Speaking of the combine, I like how Koekkoek did. He stood out. In fact, a lot of defensemen did (with the exception being Thrower).

Why would we take a goalie? We have Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky, and now Hovinen.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:20 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossgalov View Post
I'm still not sure how Miller fell to so late in that draft.

Flyer 1st round picks on goalies lately:

JMP
Ouellet
Boucher

I don't like those odds. Especially since the majority of goalies we've picked in later rounds include Chechmanek (it was more of a formality), Nitty, and pretty much everyone else has been a bust. We just don't know how to pick a goalie anymore.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Speaking of the combine, I like how Koekkoek did. He stood out. In fact, a lot of defensemen did (with the exception being Thrower).

Sadly, Koekkoek probably pushed himself out of our reach at 20. I expect he goes between 14-18 now.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Guys, I KNOW we need defense...and believe me I want us to draft a defender BUT:

If Malcolm Subban fell to us, would you take him? This kid is INSANELY underrated, and IMO teams will regret not taking him in the top 10-15.

We've got bryz forever, but at some point shouldn't you take BPA?

It's not gonna help us in the immediate future, but there is something about him that just reeks of winner.

thoughts? would you consider it?
BPA is the only way to go no matter what. As far as tenders go, I like Oscar Dansk. This big swede can play. The bigger the game the better he plays.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
BPA is the only way to go no matter what. As far as tenders go, I like Oscar Dansk. This big swede can play. The bigger the game the better he plays.
i've actually heard some really good things about him. Do you think he would fit well in our system? (which tends to yield re-direct goals, but blocks shots)

Old
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Agreed. We may need a backup behind Bryz if Bob is moved. But I would take the BPA(only a defensemen or forward) not a tender. I to like Koekkoek. Hertl,Laughton and Sissons are forwards I like who should be there at 20

Old
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
tuckrr

we need to trade for a high 2nd and steal this kid..

I just KNOW he's the real deal, got that feeling.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
i've actually heard some really good things about him. Do you think he would fit well in our system? (which tends to yield re-direct goals, but blocks shots)
Yes for a big kid he moves very well and covers alot of net. If we could land a high 2nd round pick I would nab him.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This probably isn't a popular sentiment, but I'd be more interested in getting PK Subban. He's a guy that I think if his defense improved a little he'd be pretty damned good. He's annoying, but I feel like he's the type of player you despise when he is on any other team (but especially one like Montreal) but would love on your team.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:48 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This probably isn't a popular sentiment, but I'd be more interested in getting PK Subban. He's a guy that I think if his defense improved a little he'd be pretty damned good. He's annoying, but I feel like he's the type of player you despise when he is on any other team (but especially one like Montreal) but would love on your team.
i wholeheartedly agree. plus his value is low right now!

Old
06-06-2012, 12:30 AM
HereComesTheWayne

If Grigorenko isn't available when the Flyers are on the clock, I wouldn't be totally upset if they picked Subban, but they have to get a defensiveman early in the draft.

HereComesTheWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:01 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComesTheWayne View Post
If Grigorenko isn't available when the Flyers are on the clock, I wouldn't be totally upset if they picked Subban, but they have to get a defensiveman early in the draft.
I'm more concerned about adding an NHL ready defenseman through a trade or FA than drafting a prospect who is likely a few years away.