HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Farewell Zuke! (Signs with KHL)

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 05:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Zuccarello has signed deal with KHL's Mettalurg Magnitogorsk, ESPNNY has learned. 1 year dl w/ 1 year option and NHL out clause
https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...81922283573248

The Rangers should qualify him. They probably will qualify him. Retain his NHL rights.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Good thing he has that clause..

Here's hoping we quality him with a one way deal that he bites on - a pipe dream for sure but stranger things have happened..

Old
06-01-2012, 05:47 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
Not a big loss, imo. I like Zuke, but too small and ineffective to be a regular NHL player, imo.
This^. It was less size -- though that did not help -- than the fact he did not have adequate SPEED to succeed at small man's game by creating separation so he could use those offensive moves.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...81922283573248

The Rangers should qualify him. They probably will qualify him. Retain his NHL rights.
Fine by me if they trade his rights. If that happens chances are he'll be back in the NHL next season

Old
06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Maybe they can get that 5th round pick back they wasted on John Scott.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:41 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Would of like to see more of him just to get better assessment of his potential but I didn't see him as an integral piece to the puzzle. From what I did see I thought his size and strength limited his effectiveness. Kid could make a pass though.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:25 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

I think Zuke can be an NHL player, I just still have no idea why he chose to sign with the Rangers. Sure the Rangers have the prestige but he never seemed to fit with the team's style and identity from Day 1 and with the Rangers in contention mode they're certainly not giving an unproven player Top 6 ice.

Hopefully he plays well enough in the KHL (and possibly another strong Olympic showing) to convince a team to give him a second chance. On the right team in the right situation, he can be a contributor.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Baby Punisher

I'm wondering of this new KHL deal is a ploy to get the Rangers to quailify him.

I would have liked to see more of him beofre we sent him packing. I don't feel like he was given a legit chance on the team.

Now that Gabs is gone for a while we could use a guy like Zuke to fill that hole & see what he really has to offer.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:19 PM
gravey9

With the injury to Gabby - there may suddenly be room for Zuke for half the season. Do they try to re-sign him to a 1 year deal?

Old
06-01-2012, 09:24 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Should have just re signed the guy. With the injury to Gaborik and the dearth of offensive talent on this team I guarantee you Sather is going to bring in some "boom or bust" offensive guys. We're already seeing it with Hrvik. Zuccarello was playing well before he got hurt, should have given him another shot at bringing some secondary scoring.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Fine by me if they trade his rights. If that happens chances are he'll be back in the NHL next season
yea I think they move his rights and he very well could play in the NHL............if they can get a pick or prospect out of it why not

Old
06-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Dumb move by Zuc. Kid has an NHL future.
Yes, and no. He did have a future in the NHL. Absolutely. Could have been an effective player with the NYR. Unfortunately he was not given a legitimate chance here. I can't blame him for wanting to sign to a team, for what is probably a nice salary, and play in the 2nd best league in the world (and no, its not the AHL).

In my opinion he was too talented to be in the AHL, and his talent was not utilized properly. If he stuck with this organization, chances are he would not have had that chance. At least he will get to showcase his talent now. He will have a two year contract to prove himself in the KHL. When he does, I would not doubt teams in the NHL giving him a 2nd chance.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

with the out clause if they offer him a qualifying offer (no gaborik has to make me think they may) does it mean he gets out of his obligations with the KHL entirely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
Not a big loss, imo. I like Zuke, but too small and ineffective to be a regular NHL player, imo.
is this a short joke?

edit

Old
06-02-2012, 01:15 AM
TigerJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
with the out clause if they offer him a qualifying offer (no gaborik has to make me think they may) does it mean he gets out of his obligations with the KHL entirely?
Yes, I believe so. If itīs true that he has signed a deal with Mettalurg with a NHL out clause, this might very well be a move to put pressure on the Rangers to give him a one way deal. With this move he has already stated that he under no circumstances accepts nothing else than a one way deal with the Rangers.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
Yes, I believe so. If itīs true that he has signed a deal with Mettalurg with a NHL out clause, this might very well be a move to put pressure on the Rangers to give him a one way deal. With this move he has already stated that he under no circumstances accepts nothing else than a one way deal with the Rangers.
i think he is playing at the KHL at least one year, no matter what though...(as much as I want to keep the hope alive that he'll stay in the NHL, preferably with the rangers), because he would look kind of dumb to publicly say goodbye on twitter to all the rangers fans and players, then a month or 2 later say nevermind i'm coming back...

Old
06-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

we made the right move by playing superstar john mitchell over him for most the season.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
we made the right move by playing superstar john mitchell over him for most the season.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

At least the haters are happy now, but who`s next? Gabby is free of charge an Zuke is out..

Old
06-02-2012, 03:26 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
John Mitchell played 6 games, then was benched for 35...

Old
06-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Old Norse Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
I think Zuke can be an NHL player, I just still have no idea why he chose to sign with the Rangers. Sure the Rangers have the prestige but he never seemed to fit with the team's style and identity from Day 1 and with the Rangers in contention mode they're certainly not giving an unproven player Top 6 ice.

Hopefully he plays well enough in the KHL (and possibly another strong Olympic showing) to convince a team to give him a second chance. On the right team in the right situation, he can be a contributor.
Spot On

Old
06-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
i think he is playing at the KHL at least one year, no matter what though...(as much as I want to keep the hope alive that he'll stay in the NHL, preferably with the rangers), because he would look kind of dumb to publicly say goodbye on twitter to all the rangers fans and players, then a month or 2 later say nevermind i'm coming back...
Quote:
1 year dl w/ 1 year option and NHL out clause
since i asked i might as well say what i thought it meant.imo it sounds like it's a 1 year deal that he has to play unless he gets an offer from the NHL. the 1 year option is basically just saying that he has the option to extend his contract or go to another team either in that league or in the nhl (or ahl or any number of other leagues).

that's how i read it at least. i'm sure it all depends how his contract is actually written... and the early goodbye wouldn't make sense if this is the case... but who knows, maybe it's a loss in translation.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:04 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Fine good bye midget.. Never would Fit with torts anyway
I would really like to get smashed drunk with you Dagoon. Amazing things would happen!

Old
06-02-2012, 09:00 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Did not mean you at all, I too liked watching Zuke play, but there were a certain amount of posters here that were quite new and seemed to only fanatically care about the plight of Mats Zuccarello, not the team as a whole at all. Call them Bandwagoners or whatever...
They will not be missed because I highly doubt they will be here in a year.
Real NYR fans care not about one player, neither do they have any kind of secret society or pedigree as insinuated, they only care about their team! Rant rant rant. I saw Rangers games in the old Garden as a kid in the 1960 s btw...
G night
I bet a lot of you old "real fans" came along during the cup run in 94,or when Messier,Gretzky or Jagr came?
How on earth should Rangers become my favorite team, a town or even a country I never visited.
If it was not for Zuke,I would never paid the team some extra attencion.
But you know,by those two years he has been there,I have followed and learned to know all the other players to,and become a fan. So now I will root for The Rangers with or without Zuke.
If you are not from New York,why did you pick The rangers as your favorite team?

Old
06-02-2012, 09:05 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffenberg View Post
Hockey is a very small sport in Norway. MZA is the only one in NHL at the moment. So it's only natural Norwegians who like hockey hope he does well and want to follow him and not a particular NHL club. If the player stays in the club for awhile then they might start to appreciate the club too. I believe quite a bit of the Norwegians following NYR now will remain after MZA is gone.

None of the bigger TV channels in Norway show any NHL games so it's hard to build up a fan base for NHL teams here.

The sad truth is that almost every Norwegian hockey player going to NHL is coming back to Europe after a few years, after getting tired of playing in the AHL after being relegated. It seems MZA is about to join that group of players.
Wich is very understandable. A player like Zuke should not be satisfied with playing in the AHL for peanuts,when he can be a star and earn millions elsewhere.
Everyone who does that is a comlete idiot in my opinion

Old
06-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Pierre Gotye

MZA was a potential suitor for the Leafs a season ago, but the Rags won the bidding with the Leafs.

At any rate, I haven't seen much of MZA play, but he probably thinks of himself as a potential top 6 player and on a team like the Rags he probably wasn't going to bump any of the other guys out of the top 6.

How was he as a bottom 6 player? He's probably a shoe-in as a top 6 in the KHL.

He should have looked at walking into a situation like Columbus, maybe the NYI or a lesser team where he would have gotten a much more solid look, and time to develop his game more.

Closed Thread