HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery-Difference Maker?

Old
05-30-2012, 12:05 PM
mcsauer2738

vCash: 500
I think most people looking objectively can agree sean avery deserved to be on this team over the likes of john mitchell, that's no secret. Sean is a great passer, great forechecker, and arguably the greatest agitator of all time which is why people forget that he's actually an above average hockey player. I kept my thoughts to myself all season long but I think everyone can agree he got a raw deal and I would've loved to see him contribute to this team all season long.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
I think most people looking objectively can agree sean avery deserved to be on this team over the likes of john mitchell, that's no secret. Sean is a great passer, great forechecker, and arguably the greatest agitator of all time which is why people forget that he's actually an above average hockey player. I kept my thoughts to myself all season long but I think everyone can agree he got a raw deal and I would've loved to see him contribute to this team all season long.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:14 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen North View Post

Is that the same guy who missed a wide open net in OT that cost the Caps the cup

Jk, love Tiks great agitator , But Avery was great at his role as well

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Hell no.

More and more people came around and saw what a piece of garbage the guy was as time went on. Give me John Mitchell every day on this team before you give me post 2008 Sean Avery - and this is coming from someone who thinks John Mitchell is absolutely useless

But at least hes not a hand grenade

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
satrabyk

yes he would have helped against the devils for sure. He gets underneath Kovalchuk and Brodeur regardless if hes getting minutes, hes presence alone was enough.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hell no.

More and more people came around and saw what a piece of garbage the guy was as time went on. Give me John Mitchell every day on this team before you give me post 2008 Sean Avery - and this is coming from someone who thinks John Mitchell is absolutely useless

But at least hes not a hand grenade
Wow just wow.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He is a cancer. When he makes fun at Dustin Brown, one of the league's top captains, you know the player is a cancer. I did not like him even when he trolled Marty. Play the game with same god damn class. I for one, am ecstatic that he will never be a Ranger, despite his 'heroics' in the playoffs.

Philly will sign him. Book it.
No way in hell Philly touches him... Why would they piss every current Flyer off by signing him? Better yet, why do they even need his services??? Wayne Simmonds is twice the player that Avery is. They have plenty of 'grit' in their line-up too... Absolutely zero chance that Holmgren brings a ticking time bomb into their locker room.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:32 PM
pzilla3

That's just silly.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

given that he abandoned the team, it's a pointless conversation. If he had still been playing and producing with the Pack and was available as a call up when the pack eliminated and we were playing the Devils, then you'd have a conversation. but he didn't. thankful Avery threads will soon be gone forever. <optimistic>

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
Is that the same guy who missed a wide open net in OT that cost the Caps the cup

Jk, love Tiks great agitator , But Avery was great at his role as well
what makes Tikkanen better is that he'd piss you off AND score key goals so you'd be 2x pissed. It was great when Avery scored but except for like a 20 game stretch one year in the regular season, that didn't ever happen. And regular season is pretty meaningless to turn on the agitation-rage.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
goal1228

i agree tikkanen was one of the greatest agitators ever

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
what makes Tikkanen better is that he'd piss you off AND score key goals so you'd be 2x pissed.
...and then he'd blow you a kiss.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post
Avery would probably have made a difference. He gets so much hate on here but he would have been effective in this series.. these are the games this guy gave his all for vs the islanders, devils and flyers avery played his best. Who knows what could have happened in this series if he played, hate him if you want but he played hard and loved this team and is a good player.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
We'll never know , personally I don't think Avery is gone because of his talent or lack there of , he's gone because Tort's just flat out hates him , their personalities are too similar for them to get along. I don't know about the other series, but against the Devils , I believe he would have made a difference
And This.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
eco's bones

FWIW we'd have been better off with him on the wing than moving Bickel or Eminger up to the wing.

Forward depth became an issue for us in the playoffs plain and simple. That being said Wolski would have been better as well. Neither of them were Torts' favorites though.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
thewaitingisover

Enough

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Yes he would've helped against the Devils the same way he helped against the Caps in his last playoff appearance with us . . .

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Dactyl*
stats are pure CRAP

if any team is going to sign him it would be the isles

Dactyl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 08:38 PM
ocarina

Quote:
As someone who doesn't even like John Mitchell, no way.

At least Mitchell was somewhat productive, knew his role, played it decently, and more importantly, wasn't a distraction. Not to mention, he had a significantly lower cap hit.

Avery scored six goals in his last 91 games for us. Even if Torts didn't like him, if he as good as you are saying, he should of put up better numbers then that.

He used to be an above average player, but the fact of the matter is, he has been the equivalent of a 4th line player the last two years.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 05:11 AM
chosen

It's sad to see some who can't let go.

Avery did not perform on the ice, was a detriment off the ice, and destroyed his own career. He is the opposite of Callahan.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 05:39 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
As someone who doesn't even like John Mitchell, no way.

At least Mitchell was somewhat productive, knew his role, played it decently, and more importantly, wasn't a distraction. Not to mention, he had a significantly lower cap hit.

Avery scored six goals in his last 91 games for us. Even if Torts didn't like him, if he as good as you are saying, he should of put up better numbers then that.

He used to be an above average player, but the fact of the matter is, he has been the equivalent of a 4th line player the last two years.
I thought he was good in limited minutes this season. Scored a couple of highlight goals too. He would have been a good depth upgrade IMO but the point is totally moot. Move on...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:43 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I thought he was good in limited minutes this season. Scored a couple of highlight goals too. He would have been a good depth upgrade IMO but the point is totally moot. Move on...
He had his moments this year, but they were just that. He was not consistent at all this year, and he wasn't really consistent last year as well.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:41 AM
RangerFan10

Avery's done with hockey and hockey is done with him. It's hilarious that people think teams will sign him when he went unclaimed on RE ENTRY waivers twice this season, in the final year of his contract.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Avery's done with hockey and hockey is done with him. It's hilarious that people think teams will sign him when he went unclaimed on RE ENTRY waivers twice this season, in the final year of his contract.
do you think he will play overseas imagine him in th KHL

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
I could see him playing in the Czech league or the Swedish league in a major city where he can continue his work in the fashion industry. I doubt Russia looks good to him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
I think Avery is much more interested in pursuing artistic and fashion interests. Anyone following him on instagram can see this.

The only way he goes to the KHL is if his investments go to ***** and he needs more capital.