HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game-day Thread: Oilers AT Columbus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2003, 06:26 PM
  #76
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 15,222
vCash: 500
I don't mind this point, CBJ is a tough home team who came out flying in the first period. The guys didn't quit though, and kept at them until Columbus started to falter near the end and were quite frankly lucky to not lose this in OT.

Smyth continues his hot streak on the faceoff dot, winning 59% of his draws, winning 5 of 9 against Marchant as a bonus. Stoll was a killer in defensive zone faceoffs, winning 9 of 13. I love this kid.

Has Hemsky EVER gotten 4 or more shots in a game? Strange days...

Conklin was solid, made some excellent pad saves but I think he'd like to have that 2nd goal back; it was a bang-bang play for sure, but it still squeezed through him. He seems a little weak covering his short side angles.

I thought Bergeron and Brewer had very good games, right now Bergie is just oozing confidence. Ferguson...

With 83-36-15 having such a strong game, does MacT maybe wait on Oates until friday and give this line another chance in Det? As long as they're going well, why rush getting Oates into the lineup unless he's 100% ready?

Digger12 is online now  
Old
11-25-2003, 06:37 PM
  #77
Game 8
Registered User
 
Game 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I don't mind this point, CBJ is a tough home team who came out flying in the first period. The guys didn't quit though, and kept at them until Columbus started to falter near the end and were quite frankly lucky to not lose this in OT.

Smyth continues his hot streak on the faceoff dot, winning 59% of his draws, winning 5 of 9 against Marchant as a bonus. Stoll was a killer in defensive zone faceoffs, winning 9 of 13. I love this kid.

Has Hemsky EVER gotten 4 or more shots in a game? Strange days...

Conklin was solid, made some excellent pad saves but I think he'd like to have that 2nd goal back; it was a bang-bang play for sure, but it still squeezed through him. He seems a little weak covering his short side angles.

I thought Bergeron and Brewer had very good games, right now Bergie is just oozing confidence. Ferguson...

With 83-36-15 having such a strong game, does MacT maybe wait on Oates until friday and give this line another chance in Det? As long as they're going well, why rush getting Oates into the lineup unless he's 100% ready?
I thought 83-36-15 had some great chemistry. Funny how our face off percentage looks so much better over the last few games. I am curious though as to what we are doing wrong on the penalty kill? I cannot spot anything glaring and that is the difference most games.

Game 8 is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 07:03 PM
  #78
Yosemite Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Hemsky with 4 sog

Think theyve been telling him to shoot? :p
I think SOMEBODY wants to prove to the coaching staff he should play with Oates.

Yosemite Sam is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 08:03 PM
  #79
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8
I am curious though as to what we are doing wrong on the penalty kill? I cannot spot anything glaring and that is the difference most games.
Watch them in the neutral zone and the opponent's zone during the pk forechecking. They are very aggressive with active sticks and cut off lanes. In the defensive zone, watch the box collapse to the middle more often times than not. The defenders and forwards are tentative at going for the puck in their own zone.

The Blue Jacket's point men were wide open for most of the night on the powerplay. IE/ Not enough pressure on the dmen.

It's a aggressive forecheck and counterattack... but it's such a passive box within the zone. I think that's the problem.

momentai is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 08:20 PM
  #80
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Watch them in the neutral zone and the opponent's zone during the pk forechecking. They are very aggressive with active sticks and cut off lanes. In the defensive zone, watch the box collapse to the middle more often times than not. The defenders and forwards are tentative at going for the puck in their own zone.

The Blue Jacket's point men were wide open for most of the night on the powerplay. IE/ Not enough pressure on the dmen.

It's a aggressive forecheck and counterattack... but it's such a passive box within the zone. I think that's the problem.
It really puzzles me why the Oilers change from their diamond/rotating box PK to the passive box. They get ripped apart in that passive box. The other method is actually pretty effective when they use it.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 09:24 PM
  #81
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
I really like the looks of the oilers PP. With York, Bergeron, Dvorak, Smyth and Hemsky, I can't see them struggling too much, it seems like too much fire power not to score some goals.
Before that PP line was formed LMHF#1 and i were asking for exactly that...now look how good they do!

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 10:52 PM
  #82
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,764
vCash: 500
Just got home from work and watched the game.. I thought Brewer had a very solid game and looked very good in the OT. Isbister had another great game, he really used his body well a few times today and sure let a rocket of a shot go. He looks to be developing some chemistry with Hemsky/Stoll.. it might be interesting to have three scoring lines in Smyth-Oates-?, Torres-York-Dvorak and Isbister-Stoll-Hemsky! Another great day on the faceoffs for Smyth.. maybe we should move Oates to the wing? Though we only finished with a tie, I was very satisfied with the game.. the PP looks like it is getting a lot better and I'm thinking this team is starting to round into form. I can't wait till Oates finally gets into the lineup.. hopefully tommorrow night!!!

Cerebral is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.