HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL OUA Men's Hockey 2012-2013 Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 08:39 PM
GoAttackGo

vCash: 500
OFFICIAL OUA Men's Hockey 2012-2013 Thread

For those who enjoy OUA hockey, Go Ravens Go!

GoAttackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
SnipeShow91

Not hockey wise, but a graduating player for RMC, Justin Lacey, is trying out for Gillette Drafted on The Score and he would love your support! He talks about having more coverage for CIS sports, which honestly would not be a bad thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xSVTUTmqUKU

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:41 AM
northvanman

2012/13 Regular Season Schedule

The schedule for next season has been posted on the OUA website:

http://www.leaguestat.com/oua/men/en...n&season_id=79

Historically, there's some tinkering with it for the month after it's been posted, with the changes highlighted in red

Haven't looked at it in great detail, but a few things I noticed:

- they've moved the division crossovers back to the first two weeks of November after having them during the first two weeks of the season last year. I prefer this because the teams are more settled in after having played 6-8 games and I think it gives a better read on where the the divisions are relative to each other. Although the West had a down year last year, I never believed there was as much difference between the two divisions as the crossover records indicated.

- Lakehead, who had a pretty light schedule last year, have a pretty tough set of crossovers this year - Carelton and UQTR. They also play Waterloo 4 times, and Windsor 4 times - the Lancers finished the regular season last year stronger than anyone and very nearly took out Western in the playoffs. On the other hand, they only play Western twice, with both games in Thunder Bay.

- Western and McGill will play during during the regular season for the first time since the full division crossovers were introduced a few years ago. Hopefully this will help settle the debate about who's better

- Western has moved back to 7pm home game times

- Laurier, who had a terrible season last year, seem to have about the weakest schedule in the division - probably the way it should be. They only play Lakehead twice, Western 3 times, and have RMC, Ryerson, and Concordia as 3 or their 4 crossovers (Carleton is the other)

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:40 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
The schedule for next season has been posted on the OUA website:

http://www.leaguestat.com/oua/men/en...n&season_id=79

Historically, there's some tinkering with it for the month after it's been posted, with the changes highlighted in red

Haven't looked at it in great detail, but a few things I noticed:

- they've moved the division crossovers back to the first two weeks of November after having them during the first two weeks of the season last year. I prefer this because the teams are more settled in after having played 6-8 games and I think it gives a better read on where the the divisions are relative to each other. Although the West had a down year last year, I never believed there was as much difference between the two divisions as the crossover records indicated.

- Lakehead, who had a pretty light schedule last year, have a pretty tough set of crossovers this year - Carelton and UQTR. They also play Waterloo 4 times, and Windsor 4 times - the Lancers finished the regular season last year stronger than anyone and very nearly took out Western in the playoffs. On the other hand, they only play Western twice, with both games in Thunder Bay.

- Western and McGill will play during during the regular season for the first time since the full division crossovers were introduced a few years ago. Hopefully this will help settle the debate about who's better

- Western has moved back to 7pm home game times

- Laurier, who had a terrible season last year, seem to have about the weakest schedule in the division - probably the way it should be. They only play Lakehead twice, Western 3 times, and have RMC, Ryerson, and Concordia as 3 or their 4 crossovers (Carleton is the other)
Moving the crossovers back is definately a better idea. Season opening is already exciting enough, it is more fun to the interconference play once the teams are settled in.

I will definately be out to a few Western home games.

As a Laurier fan, I definately agree that their schedule is historically about as light as you could design it. They have 4 against UOIT, and apart from Carleton, they play all games against bottom teams. Last year Laurier picked up 0 points in their 4 games, despite having 3 goal leads against both Nipissing and Concordia. Given what I have seen in reported recruiting for this year, Laurier again looks to be sitting well near the bottom. I was hoping their crossover would not include UQTR or McGill. For that I am glad.

The high point would normally be Western crossing over against McGill, however, given that they seem to play each other almost every year and have played each other in preseason, it is not as exciting as it would perhaps otherwise be. Still, it may be an early indication of how the two early favourites have recruited.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 06-02-2012 at 05:55 PM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Dr Evil

I like what Justin Lacey is saying. In saying that, I would like to see less NCAA and more CIS coverage. The NCAA already has tons of exposure. Our Canadian players need more exposure as does the CIS itself.

The NCAA has a great website promoting all their schools, scores, news etc....

The CIS needs to revisit their site and revamp it.

Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:41 AM
northvanman

When it rains it pours. Western has added their 2012/2013 schedule to their website and McGill visits London not once but twice next season - the first being what looks to be part of a pre-season tournament

http://www.westernmustangs.ca/schedu...x?path=mhockey

Old
06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
When it rains it pours. Western has added their 2012/2013 schedule to their website and McGill visits London not once but twice next season - the first being what looks to be part of a pre-season tournament

http://www.westernmustangs.ca/schedu...x?path=mhockey
Western also hosted McGill and Concordia in the 2010-2011 season as part of pre-season preparation, losing both games.

Laurier posted their pre-season schedule today. Last year Laurier played Ryerson, Windsor twice and UOIT once, all schools not too far away, and I believed they used a school bus for at least one of the games. It was the first year in some time to not have an NCAA opponent scheduled, and also led me to believe that perhaps there were some budget problems, but that is pure speculation by me.

This year they have an expansive set of pre-season games, starting in mid September with a game at Maple Leaf Gardens against Ryerson (I will be sure to attend that just to see the facility), followed by games against Waterloo, Guelph, Windsor, and then 2 NCAA opponents in Erie against Mercyhurst and Robert Morris (though both are currently listed as being played Oct7/12 at 7:00 PM, I assume one date will be changed).

After last year's struggles, this is great news to see that Laurier has scheduled some opponents south of the border, and also means hockey season begins early.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:10 AM
nosl

Ryerson 3x

I recognize that Nipissing shares the same division as Ryerson, but I don't understand why Nipissing hosts Ryerson three times during the regular season, while the Lakers visit Maple Leaf Gardens once.

Fri, Nov 9/12 Ryerson Nipissing 7:00 pm EST
Fri, Jan 4/13 Ryerson Nipissing 7:00 pm EST
Fri, Jan 25/13 Ryerson Nipissing 7:00 pm EST

Sat, Oct 27/12 Nipissing Ryerson 2:00 pm EDT

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:08 PM
northvanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
I recognize that Nipissing shares the same division as Ryerson, but I don't understand why Nipissing hosts Ryerson three times during the regular season, while the Lakers visit Maple Leaf Gardens once.

Fri, Nov 9/12 Ryerson Nipissing 7:00 pm EST
Fri, Jan 4/13 Ryerson Nipissing 7:00 pm EST
Fri, Jan 25/13 Ryerson Nipissing 7:00 pm EST

Sat, Oct 27/12 Nipissing Ryerson 2:00 pm EDT

There's a few instances of these imbalances for the upcoming season, and I've seen these the last couple of years. In fact, Nipissing plays Queen's 4 times, 3 of them in Kingston. Brock plays 3 of their 4 games against Western in London. Laurier plays 3 of their 4 games against UOIT in Oshawa, and McGill plays 3 of their 4 games against UQTR in Trois-Rivieres.

I don't think this scheduling is an accident or a mistake - I think it's what the scheduler needs to do to balance things out and ensure each team has 14 home and 14 away. In both divisions there are cases where a team may play one divisional opponent twice, three times or four times in one season. Playing an opponent 3 times obviously creates a home/away imbalance. I think they're able to offset most of these, but due to things like double headers at Lakehead and in Windsor and the desire to provide travelling teams with two opponents on a road trip, it doesn't always balance out for every team - so you end up with the cases like the ones above that are necessary to create the 14 home and 14 away. Something tells me the odd number of teams in the league contributes to this too. That's what I think, anyway ; )

Old
06-13-2012, 07:16 PM
WilcoxHound

The unbalanced schedule could affect the final standings but when you only play a 28 game schedule you have to play each game as if it was a playoff game and the teams that bring that consistently deserve to get the extra games at the end of the regular season.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:54 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
The unbalanced schedule could affect the final standings but when you only play a 28 game schedule you have to play each game as if it was a playoff game and the teams that bring that consistently deserve to get the extra games at the end of the regular season.
Securing first or second no longer is as important as it was before. When six teams made it, 1 and 2 got a bye, but currently with the 8 team format, playing best 2 out of 3, landing first place is not even that much of an advantage it seems. A great team can run into a hot goalie. I think the 28 game season is a perfect length, but I would not be against a 2 out of 3 for first round, and 3 out of 5 for semis and finals, with first and second receiving a bye. I do not think it will change, but even a return to 6 teams best 2 out of 3 would provide more of an advantage to playing strong during the regular season.