HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

$70.3 Million for 2012-13

Old
06-01-2012, 03:17 PM
hawksfan50

vCash: 500
Maybe McKenzie's math is off? The NHL did not give the official cap number because there is mo cBa BUT though CAPGEEK is using the same $70.3 million number as McKenzie tweeted as the projection IF the new CBA does not adjust it-- there was a report on May 30th on THW website (THE HOCKEY WRITERS) that based on their calculation of the Bettman released revenue numbers the cap could be $73.8 million...

AGAIN --even if the higher number came to be ($73.8 million) bumping the Hawks cap space to $ 12.3 million --ROCKY "losing money" Wirtz will not lose more by spending to the cap or anywhere near that inflated ceililing...The Pizza King in Detroit would since he must be rolling in dough (Could not resist the pun) from his profitable Wings,,,,creative accounting to cook the books by siphoning off revenues to other Wirtz corp divisisions aside /or counting past Blackhawks losses as expenses to deduct from current would be profits--however Wirtz' accoutants make him tell his tale of woe ---that kind of cap space IF we spent to it could buy us at least 1 significant "elite" addition -EXCEPT that DET still has botloads to out cap spend us now with Lidtrom off the books... thus CAP inflation will persist--no closer to home "discounts" from Suter-he willget MAX, MARKET $$$ --so will PARISE --so not "just" $6.5 m per range but try $8.5m + in a UFA "frenzy of owners trying to again buy a cUP ...DET with their monumental amount of cap room could always keep on outbidding us till they get their target(s) the double whammy of Parise and Suter..

So ONCE AGAIN the spend to the ever increasing CAP teams (DET,NYR ,PHI --willbe
pumping up the UFA market to always get theur targets ) and the PRETENDER
(WIRTZ CORP) will give the excuse of not being able to sionce they still are losing money -of course the thought of the Blackhawks cutting down on their swollen payroll of bureaucrat consultants, dep. vice-Presidents and McD sicophants
never is considered to save money ..nope they just willfind an excuse not to play he game like the big guys -the usual suspects in DET,NYR,and PHI ...Further if L.A. wins the cup I'm sure they will want to join the big spenders club too to keepthe dynasty hopes alive.

So all the fuss on potential cap space probably means NADA for the Blackhawks as we know the excuses willbe given and we watch with envy as our Winged Wheel rivals make their "big splash" this sumer a re-tool for continued elite contender level of compete..

SO cap space-even IF we have more of it that we've had in years -willbe a useless commodity for Chicago --and the level we do spend to probably is mis-allocated to tweaks that FAIL anyway...

Of course this NHL suuccess could get scaled back in a new CBA --but if not-then the haves will exploit the extra spending levels,the have nots willdecry their greater losses if they must spend to ever higher florr levels,and the PRETENDERS will find excuses ..Plus ca change ,plus c'est lameme chose ...DET will come out a "winner" and CHI will go back to perenniel loser or runners up (at least in the annual stampede for the "best" of the UFa's) ..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:17 PM
TwistedWrister90
Stanley Cup Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I completely agree. I just think the cries from posters calling him 'cheap' and such are pretty naive.

Also, claims he didn't want the home games on TV...and then hired the guy that used games on television as the main tool to make his team one of the biggest national brands in sports to be his president...also naive.
you know why rocky wants the games on tv?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

he didn't do it to make you happy

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:25 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
So the upshot of this is that ROCKY while "losing money" willnot spend to the cap but ILLITCH in DET will --so they get PARISE and SUTER--we get zilch?

I think this sums it up succintly.
Pretty sure he's been spending past the cap for awhile now.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
I completely agree. I just think the cries from posters calling him 'cheap' and such are pretty naive.

Also, claims he didn't want the home games on TV...and then hired the guy that used games on television as the main tool to make his team one of the biggest national brands in sports to be his president...also naive.
Agreed totally.

Gotta spend money to make money. Rocky knows this. He runs the Blackhawks as a business. AS HE SHOULD. When we eventually go into a rebuilding phase - hopefully a decade+ from now - expect payroll to get slashed. Fine with that. Calling him cheap for only shelling out seventy million in real dollars this season just isn't having realistic expectations. It's like being mad at Yankee management for not going hard after Darvish.

Don't know how anyone can claim he didn't want home games televised. He waited a few months after his father's death to announce that starting next season they would be. Again, a business decision.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:29 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
A little prove that Rocky wanted home games on TV before McD came around http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/co...jon&id=4064873

Quote:
Must-See TV
In late October 2007, I crossed paths with the Blackhawks once again. I was at the United Center covering a "major news announcement." We all knew what it was. Former owner Bill Wirtz had died, and his son Rocky had taken over the franchise. Things changed quicker than anyone expected.

Peter Wirtz, considered to be the favorite to replace "Dollar Bill," left the organization on Oct. 7, and by Nov. 5, Rocky announced an abbreviated TV broadcast schedule for home games for the 2007-08 season. If you're not from Chicago, and don't follow hockey, you might be confused, or perhaps think you're reading about a team in Siberia, not sports-crazy Chicago. The Wirtz family -- Bill had been team president since 1966 and fully took over the reins of the franchise after his father Arthur died in 1983 -- refused to air home games on television. Every once in a while, the team would throw its fans a bone and televise a sold-out game here or there. The reasoning was that putting games on TV penalized the season ticket holders and other fans who paid for their seats. It's tough to overstate how backward this logic was, so it's best just to move on.
Nov 5th he announced they'd show some home games. It was an abbreviated scheduled due to logistics with CSN's schedule that wouldn't allow all of them at such short notice.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2007/11/20/144719/98

Quote:
John McDonough is the new president of the Blackhawks
by SCH on Nov 20, 2007 2:02 PM CST

6 COMMENTS EMAIL PRINT
Special thanks to reader Raj Binders Labido for pointing this one out in his diary...

It's being reported on the Blackhawks' official site that former Chicago Cubs president John McDonough has been hired as the new president of the Blackhawks. According to "The Score" 670 AM radio, McDonough re-signed from the Cubs at 9:00 AM this morning, and was introduced as a member of the 'Hawks at noon.
Nov 20th, 2 weeks after the TV announcement, McD is introduced as president.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 06-01-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: messed up 1 of the dates
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:30 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
you know why rocky wants the games on tv?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

he didn't do it to make you happy
No ****! Everything is about money. You put games on TV to create a brand and build a fanbase, thus more ****ing money!

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
TwistedWrister90
Stanley Cup Q

fair enough. now i'm convinved

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:55 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
Your starting goalie is Ray ****ing Emery.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Who cares? It's not your money.
considering I buy tickets and merchandise, it's my money.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
lol man, you need to chill out. if you can prove that rocky was dead set on airing home games on tv, then i'll be convinced.

based on what i've read, mcdonough deserves the credit and is the one who convinced rocky to show home games.

no where did i ever state that i dislike rocky. i'm grateful for everything he's done. i'm aware of how much he spends. i said bill was the cheap POS, not rocky.

i didn't realize you were butt buddies with rocky. you need to learn that not everyone is gonna agree with what you say on every thread....

calling people idiots for not believing everything you say is childish. you on the dot or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
I don't know how this thread became a Rocky **** fest. It's about the cap, ect. We all know Rocky makes a ton of money. Part of this is due to his situation, owning the UC (some owners don't own the stadium they pay rent to). Owning the beverage company, parking, ect.

Question is are the Blackhawks profitable as a stand alone business with current expenses. Probably but who knows and maybe that margin is getting squeezed with the escalating cap/guaranteed contracts. Try multiplying average ticket price of $129 X 50 home games X 21,000 butts. It's a big number. If player slaries are capped at xx%, that leaves a tone of dough left. Other owners may not have as good as Rocky in terms of generating revenue from all aspects of the business. Rocky may even feel all sources of revenue should not be taken in to consideration as they are unique to his family business. It is inconcievable that those ancillary businesses would even exist without the Hawks. Who owns a stadium w/o a team, who has sweetheart vending deals w/o a team? Those are phantom expenses.

I think the owners want closer to a 50/50 split with the players. Then you have Fehr on the other side so this is probably going to suck.
Quote:
dang wish i was as smart as you lol

again, mcdonough was the one responsible for getting the games on tv
Quote:
A little prove that Rocky wanted home games on TV before McD came around http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/co...jon&id=4064873

Nov 5th he announced they'd show some home games. It was an abbreviated scheduled due to logistics with CSN's schedule that wouldn't allow all of them at such short notice.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2007/11/20/144719/98

Nov 20th, 2 weeks after the TV announcement, McD is introduced as president.
You really think between Nov. 5 and Nov. 20th McD was hired? He was ANNOUNCED on Nov. 20, I'm sure he was hired well before and convincing Rocky of TV, especially on WGN was part of the sales pitch for McD to get on board.

The TV exposure (and the Cup) lead to way more Hawks stuff everywhere. From Coke to grocery bags to you name it. I never saw anything like it in my life. All McD.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Maybe McKenzie's math is off? The NHL did not give the official cap number because there is mo cBa BUT though CAPGEEK is using the same $70.3 million number as McKenzie tweeted as the projection IF the new CBA does not adjust it-- there was a report on May 30th on THW website (THE HOCKEY WRITERS) that based on their calculation of the Bettman released revenue numbers
I believe that would be the number if the players choose to use the 5% inflator on the 70.3 cap, which they would obviously do.

So if the players go to 50% share, we could be looking at 67mil cap at worse.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I believe that would be the number if the players choose to use the 5% inflator on the 70.3 cap, which they would obviously do.

So if the players go to 50% share, we could be looking at 67mil cap at worse.
And if that happens, it will come after a long lockout. Because Donald Fehr will not take huge cut like that without a fight.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:54 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
But how is that fair to season ticket holders??? People get to watch the game on TV and not pay a cent!! In fact, I think all the season ticket holders would cancel their season tickets because they could watch the game on TV! We know watching on TV is the exact same experience as watching in person at the United Center.
Huh? Watching a game on TV is about 1/10 as exciting as watching a game in person.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
So the upshot of this is that ROCKY while "losing money" willnot spend to the cap but ILLITCH in DET will --so they get PARISE and SUTER--we get zilch?

I think this sums it up succintly.
because he lost Lidstrom, Holmstrom and a few other keys pieces and has tons of cap space.

The Hawks could sign Suter and Parise too if Toews and Keith retired right now.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Huh? Watching a game on TV is about 1/10 as exciting as watching a game in person.
He was mocking Dollar Bill.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
dang wish i was as smart as you lol

again, mcdonough was the one responsible for getting the games on tv
Even by that logic who hired McDonough? Rocky, so he is still responsible for games being on TV. We know Bill would have never hired someone like McDonough, lastly since it's Rocky's team he has the final say so no matter what McDonough wanted if Rocky didn't want to do it, it doesn't happen.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
He was mocking Dollar Bill.
Didn't see that part.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:42 AM
Sarava

Rocky has said when he was set to take over the Hawks, the very first thing he knew/decided was that home games would be on tv. It had nothing to do with McD.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

no Rocky no Cup... that's all I care about

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:47 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Hawks likely would have won the cup anyway... Dollar Bill was notoriously cheap, but he did spend money when the team was worth a damn later in life.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

not sure if he would have been willing to spend to the Cap and bring in Campbell/Hossa (resign Havlat)

Old
06-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Sarava

As much as I detested Dollar Bill for decades...I'm going to have to agree with DHF on this one. The foundation was all put in place while Dollar Bill ran the team. If it was Havlat instead of Hossa on the team...we still win it IMO.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
not sure if he would have been willing to spend to the Cap and bring in Campbell/Hossa (resign Havlat)
Dollar Bill had opened the wallet before he died. Havlat, Khabibulan etc. were all big contracts under Dollar Bill.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:05 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Khabibulin (6.25), Aucoin (4), Cullimore (2.3?), Brown (1.8?), Lapointe (2.2) and Barnaby (1.6?) all made a decent bit of coin right after the lockout. The team just went 1998 instead of 2005 when it rebuilt. Slow, defensively aware pluggers that could kill penalties and impede. If you spend that twenty million wisely the Hawks would have been bad but not Toews/Kane bad.

Have said it in the past, but Handzus getting hurt so early was one of the best things that's ever happened to the franchise.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

that's right, but Dollar Bill would have stoped with those guys. He wouldn't have added more than those guys.

We've had some luck for sure. Handzus missing time, winning the lottery and stuff like this...