HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Videotron Reception compared to other networks?

Old
06-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
How does Videotron Reception compared to other networks?

Bell is usually known as the "best" reception..you can be in the basement and you still get 4-5 bars.

How does Videotron compare to Bell and Telus? How does Telus compare to Bell?

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
I live in a basement apartment and have never had issues with connectivity. I always have the top amount of bars, internet speed is fast and have never lost connection to services.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I live in a basement apartment and have never had issues with connectivity. I always have the top amount of bars, internet speed is fast and have never lost connection to services.
Just to be clear, you are talking about Videotron correct?

I live in the West Island and i'm with Fido ..it's bad when your on the 1st floor, people don't hear me clearly. In the basement, it's horrific..

If I use Solo Mobile (uses Bell Network), it's 4-5 bars in the basement and everybody hears me clearly.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post

I live in the West Island and i'm with Fido ..it's bad when your on the 1st floor, people don't hear me clearly. In the basement, it's horrific..

If I use Solo Mobile (uses Bell Network), it's 4-5 bars in the basement and everybody hears me clearly.
Yeah sorry, I was talking about Videotron. With Bell, I had problems with connectivity (not in a basement appartment) but that was many moons ago and their service drastically improved. However the main issue I had with Bell was their piss-poor customer service. When I had a problem, they did not have an answer. Best times came when I would literally hear the dial tone after asking a simple question.

Connection now with Bell is good, even in the basement. Not sure how much you'd pay with Bell but with Videotron - equally good connectivity in my opinion - I pay really low since I have four services which in turn, gives me a discount.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Yeah sorry, I was talking about Videotron. With Bell, I had problems with connectivity (not in a basement appartment) but that was many moons ago and their service drastically improved. However the main issue I had with Bell was their piss-poor customer service. When I had a problem, they did not have an answer. Best times came when I would literally hear the dial tone after asking a simple question.

Connection now with Bell is good, even in the basement. Not sure how much you'd pay with Bell but with Videotron - equally good connectivity in my opinion - I pay really low since I have four services which in turn, gives me a discount.
Bell cost an arm and a leg ..especially their mobile service.

I have Videotron TV + Internet but I never looked at them for mobile since they had horrible phones. However, I just went on their website and I saw they have the Nexus and are getting the Samsung Galaxy S3 on June 20th.

Fido has horrible phone selection too except for the iPhone. It's like they have a deal with Apple or something that they are not allowed to offer high-end Android phones.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Bell is usually known as the "best" reception..you can be in the basement and you still get 4-5 bars.

How does Videotron compare to Bell and Telus? How does Telus compare to Bell?
They use the same network, so you'd get the same reception.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:43 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Fido has horrible phone selection too except for the iPhone. It's like they have a deal with Apple or something that they are not allowed to offer high-end Android phones.
Fido and Rogers are the same company. Fido is merely the cheap "alternative" to Rogers, kinda like how Virgin is to Bell and Koodo to Telus. They have some high end phones but Bell, Rogers and Telus have the big phones with the expensive contracts.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:10 PM

I was always satisfied with my services with Videotron (HD/Internet/Home Phone). They disappointed the **** out of me when they limited bandwidth on the internet though. Brb downloading 10 1080p movies and you have almost reached the cap.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:41 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

The Videotron rep told me that there is no contract on their cell phones

" But in order to benefit from the subsidized price, you have to remain with us for 36 months "

Do I fail to see the difference ?

Semantics ...

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Here's my review of the HTC Panache,
http://www.androidbugle.com/2011/08/...he-review.html

I had the Videotron version so you can get an idea of the connectivity.
For me the speeds were plenty fast, but in basements your mileage might vary because of a technical aspect of their HSPA+ 3G network.

Videotron uses the AWS 1700MHz spectrum and because of the physical properties of that wireless band it isn't great at penetrating solid objects. That being said in my area Videotron had good coverage and I had no issues getting a signal in my basement (Saint-Laurent) or in the depths of Concordia's FG building (Downtown on Saint-Catherine) of course this is a small sample but I was pretty satisfied with the connectivity.

The screenshot I took in HSPA+ “4G” Capabilities section was in my basement and you see full bars. But again your mileage may vary (because of the AWS 1700MHz band)

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 02:56 AM
snakeye

Quote:

I'm also in the west island and get pretty good reception with Fido. Also fwiw whenever I go to a friend's house in blainville and hang out in his basement, I get good reception, while another friend with videotron gets none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
The Videotron rep told me that there is no contract on their cell phones

" But in order to benefit from the subsidized price, you have to remain with us for 36 months "

Do I fail to see the difference ?

Semantics ...
Technically I guess you can still call it a contract, but the companies are no longer allowed to charge these ludicrous termination fees that they used to. Basically if you cancel your plan all you will have to pay is the remainder of the phone's price that you didn't pay for.

Speaking of videotron, has anyone checked out their new site? Damn!

Btw bell wouldn't get a single penny of mine even if they could provide me with good reception on the ****ing moon. One of the worst and poorly managed companies I've ever seen that should be avoided by everyone.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

By the way guys,

If you leave QUEBEC and you have a videotron cellphone, any calls you get or send will be on a roaming service.

LOL thats sad

Last edited by RaMMuT: 06-04-2012 at 11:21 AM.
RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
By the way guys,

If you leave QUEBEC and you have a videotron cellphone, any calls you get or send will be on a roaming service.

LOL thats sad

how is it sad? They only offer service in Quebec...

If you're using Wind Mobile, any time you're in Quebec, any calling, texting or data will be billed as roaming.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
how is it sad? They only offer service in Quebec...

If you're using Wind Mobile, any time you're in Quebec, any calling, texting or data will be billed as roaming.
If you have Videotron cellphone services and you go to Ottawa your already on their roaming services.

I'm just saying if you have Fido, Rogers or even Bell, you will only be on roaming if you go to the states.

And it makes them less attractive to customers like me who travel a couple of times a year outisde of quebec.

Dats it brah!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote