HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part V (Santana throws first no-hitter in Mets history)

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 02:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Yes but then every perfect game/no hitter should be asterisked. How many questionable strikes do you think get called/missed?

Every umpire is different.
How many no-hitters were deemed as such due to an interpretation by an official scorer? Dwight Gooden pitched a one-hitter in his rookie year against the Cubs. The only "hit" was a slow groundball that Ray Knight flubbed...a play he should have made. How many times has the reverse happened, too? Yeah, it would be nice if there was no contreversy, but, the majority of the baseball world is treating it as the special moment it was. Santana caught a break, and made Met history.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Keirik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Yes but then every perfect game/no hitter should be asterisked. How many questionable strikes do you think get called/missed?

Every umpire is different.
Yeah but this has nothing to do with scoring or really umpiring. There are foul and fair lines. They aren't open to interpretation, lol.

Comparing what an official scorer deems as a hit or an error to a ball landing on chalk is apples to trains.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
Yeah but this has nothing to do with scoring or really umpiring. There are foul and fair lines. They aren't open to interpretation, lol.

Comparing what an official scorer deems as a hit or an error to a ball landing on chalk is apples to trains.
There are also strict rules about balls and strikes, and out and safe. It can be clear as day, but umpires miss them all the time, call safe out and out safe. Call a ball a strike and a strike a ball. It happens. It's gone against the Mets many of times. Last night it went for them and it's all that matters.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Vitto79

who cares if the ball was fair, Santana and the Mets franchise deserves this!

Old
06-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Keirik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
There are also strict rules about balls and strikes, and out and safe. It can be clear as day, but umpires miss them all the time, call safe out and out safe. Call a ball a strike and a strike a ball. It happens. It's gone against the Mets many of times. Last night it went for them and it's all that matters.
balls and strikes are up for intepretation based on each umpire having a different zone. Last time i checked, fair and foul weren't up to each umpire having a different zone. Just saying. It was a 100% blown call. No other way around it.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
balls and strikes are up for intepretation based on each umpire having a different zone. Last time i checked, fair and foul weren't up to each umpire having a different zone. Just saying. It was a 100% blown call. No other way around it.
I'm pretty sure the rules for balls and strikes is pretty simple. Has to be over the plate and at the same point be higher than the knees and lower than the letters/numbers of the jersey.

Also, a runner is safe if he beats the ball to the bag or any tag. He's out if the opposite happens.

So, yes, the rules are black and white for all of them. It goes one way or the other. Umpires have to make 100's of calls each game and they are bound to make a mistake at one point or another. It just so happens that the only hitter that would have gotten a hit, was called foul. Too bad. Maybe the 26 other batters should have hit Santana.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Keirik

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the rules for balls and strikes is pretty simple. Has to be over the plate and at the same point be higher than the knees and lower than the letters/numbers of the jersey.

Also, a runner is safe if he beats the ball to the bag or any tag. He's out if the opposite happens.

So, yes, the rules are black and white for all of them. It goes one way or the other. Umpires have to make 100's of calls each game and they are bound to make a mistake at one point or another. It just so happens that the only hitter that would have gotten a hit, was called foul. Too bad. Maybe the 26 other batters should have hit Santana.
So you are saying no umpires have a different idea of the strike zone, or are you saying umpires have different views for foul and fair? lol

What's next, you going to tell me some umpires have different ideas of home runs too?

Not the end of the world but it was a blown call. Complete different circumstance as the strike zone or an official scoring decision. Safe or out would be a blown call. It happened last year to Galarraga and it blew his perfect game. There was a lot of uproar about it for good reason. Same situation as here. A 100% blown call changed the game to a point that it's only natural to question and discuss it.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:50 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
So you are saying no umpires have a different idea of the strike zone, or are you saying umpires have different views for foul and fair? lol

What's next, you going to tell me some umpires have different ideas of home runs too?

Not the end of the world but it was a blown call. Complete different circumstance as the strike zone or an official scoring decision. Safe or out would be a blown call. It happened last year to Galarraga and it blew his perfect game. There was a lot of uproar about it for good reason. Same situation as here. A 100% blown call changed the game to a point that it's only natural to question and discuss it.
No, what I'm saying is that balls and strikes, like fair or foul, safe or out, are black and white. Umpires do have different strike zones, but that does not make it the rules of the game.

Umpires miss strikes and balls ALL the time. The reason they allow it to be that way is because how hard it is to make all the calls correct. The umpires get critiqued on it as well and they know after each game how many they got right and how many they missed.

It happens and all the instant replay Bs about how they should do it for all close calls will kill the game. Home runs fair or foul, over the wall or not is plenty for the game. The game is interesting because of the human element of the game. There is no reason to drag things out even longer.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:02 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is that balls and strikes, like fair or foul, safe or out, are black and white. Umpires do have different strike zones, but that does not make it the rules of the game.

Umpires miss strikes and balls ALL the time. The reason they allow it to be that way is because how hard it is to make all the calls correct. The umpires get critiqued on it as well and they know after each game how many they got right and how many they missed.

It happens and all the instant replay Bs about how they should do it for all close calls will kill the game. Home runs fair or foul, over the wall or not is plenty for the game. The game is interesting because of the human element of the game. There is no reason to drag things out even longer.
People complain about how long games are now, just wait until they expand replay. I'm also worried about the quality of the umpiring getting worse too since they have the back up of instant replay to get the call right. It's why I don't want replay to be expanded in hockey either, I like the human element of the game. Leave it for home runs in baseball and leave it for goals in hockey.

06-02-2012, 03:03 PM
30theking

the only way your going to get the exact right calls in every baseball game is if you put robots in place of umpires and that obviously isn't going to happen so get used to the fact that your gonna have missed calls in baseball games. it's been part of the game forever and it's not going to change.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Keirik

Quote:

I don't want them to have replays for it. I just would like to see an umpire not miss a blatant call like that when he's standing right there. It was obvious and it changed the entire outcome of the game.

This has nothing to do with balls and strikes. They are completely two different animals. One has been allowed for years to be up to interpretation, one has not.

Really doesn't matter anyway. It's a great accomplishment for the Mets, even if it came with a little "help".

Old
06-02-2012, 03:22 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Is this guy serious? If he's a yankee fan, he pretty much confirms what I was talking about before.

Human error and subjective calls are so ingrained into the game, that "help" happens in every single game, that's baseball.

so continue to come off as a major tw*t after a great moment for a franchise that hasn't had many.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Keirik

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
Is this guy serious? If he's a yankee fan, he pretty much confirms what I was talking about before.

Human error and subjective calls are so ingrained into the game, that "help" happens in every single game, that's baseball.

so continue to come off as a major tw*t after a great moment for a franchise that hasn't had many.
Glad to see you can have an intelligent conversation about the topic. Lol, grow up. If me talking about this bothers you, don't go on the rest of the internet, any baseball sites, listen to any baseball programs, or anything of the sort because it's being talked about a lot. No harm in discussing it as an adult. You should try it sometime.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Blueshirt Believer

The trajectory that this thread took, does not surprise me in the least.

I guess next years hockey season can't get here fast enough, so we can all start rooting for the same team again.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 06-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old
06-02-2012, 03:41 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Folks,

Enough is enough with the childish bickering. Please don't make us close this thread -- many enjoy it as a means of discussing the Mets and Yankees in a civilized way.

06-02-2012, 04:14 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Dickey with the 1-2-3 inning...only 24 more outs to go.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I just purchased SNY, do they not cover every Mets game? Do they have some sort of syndication deal with another station?

Old
06-02-2012, 04:58 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I just purchased SNY, do they not cover every Mets game? Do they have some sort of syndication deal with another station?
PIX 11 (NY local channel 11) gets games, as does FOX and ESPN. SNY will air roughly 140 of the games.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Dickey is truly fantastic. He (and Johan) should be all-stars this year. Glad Thole's back too, he's not fantastic but he's been good this year and is significantly better than the Nickeas/Johnson combo. Tejada coming back too will help us now Wright is back in the atmosphere. With Thole and Rube, it's a pretty solid line-up, especially if (big if at this point) Ike wakes up.

Also, of course there are going to be asterick comments. Other fans are jealous and ********. They did the same thing for Humber, and guess what? The guy DIDN'T go around. Who cares? I can't fathom being that miserable a human being, check out the Cardinals SBnation site- talking about the 06 NLCS and Johan going on the DL, real bush league ****. Like I said though, who cares? The fact of the matter is, Johan Santana threw a no-hitter.

We witnessed history.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Chief

Amazing night - simply amazing night - for a great story being written by this team in Queens.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

I figured someone would get a kick out of this. Giants v Cubs game tonight will be a 1912 NY Giants v Cubs throwback game.

-Giants and cubs will be wearing NY Giants and cubs throwback jerseys respectively.

-The scoreboard will have a vintage look and there will be no video shown.
-There will be peanuts for sale for 5 cents at certain locations throughout the ballpark.
-The starting line-ups and pre-game announcements will done with a megaphone from the field.
-Only organ music will be played the entire game

Old
06-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
I figured someone would get a kick out of this. Giants v Cubs game tonight will be a 1912 NY Giants v Cubs throwback game.

-Giants and cubs will be wearing NY Giants and cubs throwback jerseys respectively.

-The scoreboard will have a vintage look and there will be no video shown.
-There will be peanuts for sale for 5 cents at certain locations throughout the ballpark.
-The starting line-ups and pre-game announcements will done with a megaphone from the field.
-Only organ music will be played the entire game

That sounds awesome, please tell me its on a national broadcast.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Keirik

That is pretty sick. I might actually watch this on the MLB package dvr'd after the hockey game.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old
06-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

R.A. is one of my favorite non-Yankees in the league. A very good pitcher and a cool guy. A friend of mine met him not too long ago.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
McMonster

for all the people whining about the fair/foul call.... show me a single game in baseball history that was umped perfectly.

Closed Thread