HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik out 5-6 months (Torn Rotator Cuff)

Old
06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Drew thinking clearly! that's what I like to see. I heard Killem Dafoe say he had trouble putting on his pants with the same injury.

Last time I checked, putting on pants is a lot easier than playing in the NHL Playoffs. Putting up 11 points in 20 games with a useless shoulder is quite the commendable achievement!
No biggie for me to swallow my pride and admit when I'm wrong and too much of a hardass. This is not exactly what I would call precedent setting or ground breaking territory for me to be in personally(being wrong that is).
I guess it never ocurred to me how hurt Gabby might have been! DUH!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:30 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Jagr was still the man in 06-07. People remember 05-06 and everything is a blur after it. Sure, 06-07 Jagr wasn't as good as 05-06 Jagr but he still finished top-10 and potted 96 points. Basically, everything was there but his shot.

Unfortunately, Gaborik doesn't have the same skill set as Jagr, so I do think it will impact him more.
Jagr and Gabo could be compared with respect to skillset when it comes to hands and skating, but Gaborik has little to offer beyond his shot. He is a sniper, not a PF. In that regard, shoulder may be worse than groin problem that lingered for years.
As an experienced professional he will , I am sure, work hard the entire summer and beyond on lower body strength and then will start to recover his upper body in the fall. He should be back by Christmas. However, if you have his goal on Nabokov recorded, keep it. You will not see anything like it in a year or more.

Last edited by 94now: 06-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
There is a chance Torts didn't actually know. Maybe Marian didn't really let on how serious his injury was in fear that he wouldn't be playing. Who knows. All I know is that if a guy like Callahan had played with this same injury, some fans here would be erecting a statue in his honor. When it's Gaby, he'll get dumped on for being injury prone. Ignorance at it's finest.
It is impossible that Torts or the coaching staff didn't know he had some sort of serious injury, if he has getting injections to reduce the pain. Who was administering the injections, the traing staff (Jim Ramsay), the corner drug dealer, or his girlfriend?? This was/is a serious injury, and Gabby is to blame for not letting the team know if it was impeding him from shooting or just simply being competitive. I understand his reasoning for not wanting to tell the complete truth because he wanted to play and help the team win, which is admirable.
The point I'm trying to make, is that Torts should have either not singled him out or revealed that he was playing despite an injury, during the breakout day and/or media/radio stops the following day.
Agreed with you about the bad reputation Gabby has, or for that matter Euro's have. Ridiculous!

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:36 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
quite a few people here owe Gaby an apology. Whether or not they are adult enough to do so is a complete other issue.
I'm definitely in that boat. Sorry Gabs.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I'm definitely in that boat. Sorry Gabs.
Absolutely. I questioned his character and the ****ing guy was fighting through that.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Keirik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
It is impossible that Torts or the coaching staff didn't know he had some sort of serious injury, if he has getting injections to reduce the pain. Who was administering the injections, the traing staff (Jim Ramsay), the corner drug dealer, or his girlfriend?? This was/is a serious injury, and Gabby is to blame for not letting the team know if it was impeding him from shooting or just simply being competitive. I understand his reasoning for not wanting to tell the complete truth because he wanted to play and help the team win, which is admirable.
The point I'm trying to make, is that Torts should have either not singled him out or revealed that he was playing despite an injury, during the breakout day and/or media/radio stops the following day.
Agreed with you about the bad reputation Gabby has, or for that matter Euro's have. Ridiculous!
I'm 100% sure Torts knew Gaby was injured but I'm not sure he knew how injured. If Gaby refused to get it examined and just said it was very sore, he would have just been given treatment without knowing the extent of the injury. He's a veteran of the team and treated as such. If he says "im okay, wait until the playoffs are over" then the staff likely will listen. I'm sure they knew something was up but lets be honest. How many other offensive options did they really have? Besides, he was playing pretty good in the Caps series so it might have just been a case of worsening as it went on and snowballed.

Keirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Kershaw

Yikes, I think I was way too harsh on him. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Giving him a free nod this year.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Ice Hockey

get well soon. great season. i hope he can bounce back fast.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I was too harsh on him as well. Called him lazy many times.

Sorry Gabby. Hope your shoulder heals!

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I call BS on this. Calling Gaborik 'soft lazy Euro' is NOT a way of asking your top player to play like one. Gaborik and Del Zotto were the whipping boys last few weeks. There were 2 separate threads about them.
WHO THE **** CALLED HIM THAT.

I NEVER called him that. Get your ****ing facts straight.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Getting angry that Gaborik wasn't producing is something a lot of people did. Including myself. I wasn't as verbal about it but i thought he could have played harder and been better. We all collectively found out that he was hurt so no one should be pointing at anyone and saying "You were mad at him! Ha! He's injured sucka, now what?" because a lot of emotions get poured out here after a team gets eliminated from the EFC. We all feel bad for him and wish him a speedy recovery because no matter what anyone says he's one of our best players.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
WHO THE **** CALLED HIM THAT.

I NEVER called him that. Get your ****ing facts straight.
It's ridiculous. The only time I've ever seen the words "soft lazy euro" are when Gaborik-defenders say it and claim that someone else said it. I've NEVER actually seen someone call him that.

Is he softer than most NHL players? Yes

Is he lazy? No

Does him being European have ANYTHING to do with it? Of course not.

Get a grip, guys.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
It's ridiculous. The only time I've ever seen the words "soft lazy euro" are when Gaborik-defenders say it and claim that someone else said it. I've NEVER actually seen someone call him that.

Is he lazy? No

Get a grip, guys.
soft according to who's standards?why?because he doesnt play physical?

well,guess that means more then half of the league is soft too

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Keirik

Quote:

Is he lazy? No

Get a grip, guys.
Lol, Gaborik is not soft. You're still missing the point completely, lol.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:48 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

If he played like **** because of a bruised shoulder or elbow pain, that would not be enough for me to accept his sub-par play.

The injury that he does have, I'm doing a complete 180, especially when the guy played 20 games with that injury.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Lol, Gaborik is not soft. You're still missing the point completely, lol.
Lol?

If Gaborik isn't soft, then no player in the NHL is soft.

He shies away from contact 95% of the time.

He absolutely CANNOT take a bump and hold on to the puck.

Any sign of contact, and he releases the puck or moves it quickly in panic mode.

He tries desperately to avoid even the smallest hits, and honestly, I think it's that mentality that ends up getting him banged up and injured sometimes. If he was more pro-active and wasn't always in a defensive position, he could take more hits and the contact wouldn't be so awkward and painful. I know hes not built like Ovechkin but he's not Zuccarello either.

He's a horrible board player because he gets pinned so easily and doesn't try to fight his way through it.

If he's not soft, I don't know that there's a single player in the league who is.

Even Semin and Kovalev could take a bump and turn their back into the player to protect the puck. Gaborik is simply unable to do anything like that.

I'm not bashing him. He is what he is. When he's jumping into open lanes and finding dead spots in the coverage, there are very few players who are more lethal at finishing plays than Gaborik.

But are we really going to pretend he's not soft? Just because he played through an injury (like most players do) doesn't mean he's suddenly some rock of a tough guy.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Deathdealer

Quote:
Lol?

Any sign of contact, and he releases the puck or moves it quickly in panic mode.

He tries desperately to avoid even the smallest hits, and honestly, I think it's that mentality that ends up getting him banged up and injured sometimes. If he was more pro-active and wasn't always in a defensive position, he could take more hits and the contact wouldn't be so awkward and painful. I know hes not built like Ovechkin but he's not Zuccarello either.

He's a horrible board player because he gets pinned so easily and doesn't try to fight his way through it.

If he's not soft, I don't know that there's a single player in the league who is.

Even Semin and Kovalev could take a bump and turn their back into the player to protect the puck. Gaborik is simply unable to do anything like that.

I'm not bashing him. He is what he is. When he's jumping into open lanes and finding dead spots in the coverage, there are very few players who are more lethal at finishing plays than Gaborik.

But are we really going to pretend he's not soft? Just because he played through an injury (like most players do) doesn't mean he's suddenly some rock of a tough guy.
true dat

Deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
true dat
I don't think I've ever seen you post a non-Gaborik related post in these message boards. You do know there's 19 other players+healthy scratches and prospects, right?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
yes,because players play games with torn rotator cuffs all the time

please,just stop.you sound so silly.

the guy isnt soft and just proved it.find me another player whos played with an injury as severe as his for the amount of time he did.you cant

Old
06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
rangers5000

he is soft, no way around it, even with a 41 goal season this guy shys away from any contact

as soon as he thinks he will get a minor hit, he backs off, hes not a board player cause he shows no signs of fighting threw it

he does not fit this team, rick nash and/or parise fit this team much better, a player like nash can scroe 40 or more with richards plus hes a big body that can play harder than gaby

and parise just fits this team, he works out with stepan in the offseason, he has played with many players on team usa, he was coached by torts as well in that same olympics, hes from the area

his dad said he would like to play with the rangers, parise himself said he wants to go somewhere best for him, this is almost a mirror image of richards last year

im 95% sure if rangers offer him a good contract he will sign, only way he goes anywhere else is if they offer him atleast 3-5 million more per year, i could see him turning down 9 mill from the likes of calgary/jersey and take 7 mill to come here

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Keirik

Quote:
Lol?

Jesus, there is so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll just start with the concept that the first Rangers games you've started watching were these playoffs? lol.

He scores plenty of goals by going into high traffic areas. He is a guy that relies on space and uses his quickness both with and without the puck. Whether it's his hands, his sniping ability, or his ability to get into space.

Just because a guy engage in physical contact doesn't make him soft. Heck, any player that can go out there with a torn shoulder during the playoffs and score 40+ goals in the NHL while being a ppg both in assists and goals isn't soft in my book.

Maybe to you the only definition of soft is anyone who doesn't play like Ryan Callahan. However, a guy that is soft doesn't accomplish what Gaborik does. A guy that is soft ends up like Erik Christensen and bounces around from team to team as an enigma.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:09 PM
district9

gaborik doesn't take contact as well as most rangers players do, but he takes it better than most of the guys with his skillset do. gaborik wasn't out there blocking shots like callahan, prust, or boyle, but neither was richards and neither did prospal while he was here. despite the one he missed which obviously led to a goal, gaborik blocks a LOT more shots than most other players at his offensive level would. while i can't find gaborik's blocked shot stat, i would be willing to say it's close to a defenseman like karlsson on ottawa for the season...

gaborik was clearly struggling through the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs. he's injury prone, that's a really rough injury. any shoulder injury with a sport like hockey is going to be rough. i had a similar injury playing lacrosse in high school (i know..different sport, different level, whatever) but i was sidelined for a month before i could even start putting forth any sort of effort to come back and play

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Keirik

Here's a stat for you. In 20 playoff games this year, Marian Gaborik had 8 block shots. In 19 playoff games, Prust also had 8.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
he is soft, no way around it, even with a 41 goal season this guy shys away from any contact

as soon as he thinks he will get a minor hit, he backs off, hes not a board player cause he shows no signs of fighting threw it

he does not fit this team, rick nash and/or parise fit this team much better, a player like nash can scroe 40 or more with richards plus hes a big body that can play harder than gaby

and parise just fits this team, he works out with stepan in the offseason, he has played with many players on team usa, he was coached by torts as well in that same olympics, hes from the area

his dad said he would like to play with the rangers, parise himself said he wants to go somewhere best for him, this is almost a mirror image of richards last year

im 95% sure if rangers offer him a good contract he will sign, only way he goes anywhere else is if they offer him atleast 3-5 million more per year, i could see him turning down 9 mill from the likes of calgary/jersey and take 7 mill to come here
edit: nevermind,i dont even know where to begin

Old
06-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Jesus, there is so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll just start with the concept that the first Rangers games you've started watching were these playoffs? lol.

He scores plenty of goals by going into high traffic areas. He is a guy that relies on space and uses his quickness both with and without the puck. Whether it's his hands, his sniping ability, or his ability to get into space.

Just because a guy engage in physical contact doesn't make him soft. Heck, any player that can go out there with a torn shoulder during the playoffs and score 40+ goals in the NHL while being a ppg both in assists and goals isn't soft in my book.

Maybe to you the only definition of soft is anyone who doesn't play like Ryan Callahan. However, a guy that is soft doesn't accomplish what Gaborik does. A guy that is soft ends up like Erik Christensen and bounces around from team to team as an enigma.
bingo

this man gets it