HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft - All purpose draft thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Mr. T

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Last I heard,Wilson was flying up the draft boards. I've never seen him play, but he's getting some big time praise. What say you?
If this guy is a physical terror that can stand in front of the net and knock in loose pucks, I wouldn't mind at all if the Pens pick him.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
His birthday is June 15th so he'll turn 20 just before the draft.

How the NHL draft works
Ya that is how I remember the rule, but it says he "can" re-enter the draft. Not that he must...

Old
06-02-2012, 12:42 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya that is how I remember the rule, but it says he "can" re-enter the draft. Not that he must...
I imagine most would prefer not to re-enter the draft if they have offers of ELC from other teams.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I don't think players "opt-in" after they've already been eligible for the draft. So, if someone drafts Straka again, he's theirs. He's 20 so still eligible for draft re-entry.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Last I heard,Wilson was flying up the draft boards. I've never seen him play, but he's getting some big time praise. What say you?
I've commented about Wilson numerous times (proof Cole doesn't read my posts! ), but basically I'm not sold on his offensive upside to see him as a 1st round selection. He's got some impressive physical tools (size, good skater for his size, physicality, etc.), but I don't know if he's got the hands, hockey sense, or creativity to be anything more than a Mike Rupp or Jared Boll.

For comparison, he hasn't shown anywhere near the puck skills, or ability to create or score that someone like Zach Kassian (another player drafted high recently with powerforward potential) showed in his junior days.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:33 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I've commented about Wilson numerous times (proof Cole doesn't read my posts! ), but basically I'm not sold on his offensive upside to see him as a 1st round selection. He's got some impressive physical tools (size, good skater for his size, physicality, etc.), but I don't know if he's got the hands, hockey sense, or creativity to be anything more than a Mike Rupp or Jared Boll.

For comparison, he hasn't shown anywhere near the puck skills, or ability to create or score that someone like Zach Kassian (another player drafted high recently with powerforward potential) showed in his junior days.
I stay away from you prospect people. I'm an x's and o's guy around here, and I trust you guys when it comes to prospects. I heard a lot of people loving this Wilson guy. In fact, the mods did a draft and he was taken about 7 spots before the Pens even drafted. Then a couple people responded saying they wanted to take him. So I was really shocked when I heard someone say they didn't want him. So I was just wondering if there was a downside that people aren't discussing.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
I sincerely hope Wilson is gone by the time the Penguins pick him. He does a lot of things really well, but his offensive ceiling is way too low to be a first rounder in my eyes. He's the kind of guy who can park in front of the net and help that way...but he's a shade above worthless with the puck actually on his stick and that's pretty important. Thankfully I don't see him lasting until the Penguins pick...there's always going to be a GM that overvalues size and grit.

I like him as a rich man's Mike Rupp comparison. Remember, Rupp was originally a top 10 pick.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
06-02-2012, 05:29 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Faksa at 16 is interesting. He's a big kid, great skating, 2-way center. It would be great having such a player in our prospect pool.

There's no chance Faksa is around anywhere near where we pick. He'll go higher than 16, so we'd have to move up a lot to do that, and I don't see that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Does anyone else like Samuelsson in the 1st? I like him more each time I watch him.

I think in this particular draft, I could see the Pens taking a flyer on a guy just because of one particular attribute: Samuelsson's bloodlines; Athanasiou's skating ability; Wilson's size/physicality; etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
I don't care what position they take in the first round except for goalie. If they think this or that person is the BPA then I hope they take them.
If there was ever a year to take a goalie in the 1st round, this is probably the year, considering we're picking outside of the top 12-14 (or anywhere you want to draw the line where the top forwards & Dmen will go). Especially if you're talking BPA strategy...

Old
06-02-2012, 05:53 PM
wej20

I was really impressed with Athanasiou's skating in the few games I've seen of him but I don't no if he has the skills to translate to an NHL player especially not a top 6 one. He relies too much on his speed which can be defended by NHL players.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I'd say the opposite, honestly. Speed is deadly in the NHL nowadays. I'd much rather have a speedy guy than one who relies on brute strength at the junior level, because that is less likely to transfer to the pro game.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:31 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
I'd say the opposite, honestly. Speed is deadly in the NHL nowadays. I'd much rather have a speedy guy than one who relies on brute strength at the junior level, because that is less likely to transfer to the pro game.
I think it's the same with both really, speed is great but if you don't have finish then it's wasted. He seems to have tested well at the combine so far which is pretty impressive considering he's listed at 6'0 179 so he should be able to put on a little more size.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Does anyone else like Samuelsson in the 1st? I like him more each time I watch him.
If his skating takes a huge jump he could be a steal but as of now that skating is just ughhh. I wouldn't be devastated but I think there will be better players available.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I don't think players "opt-in" after they've already been eligible for the draft. So, if someone drafts Straka again, he's theirs. He's 20 so still eligible for draft re-entry.
I assumed when I heard Col passed on him he would go into the draft pool again, but I heard he may become a UFA. I think my buddies mixed up jr/NCAA re-entry rules.

Straka may be there in the 4th. Maybe Shero uses Col pick to select him? This is a guy I have always liked. He is a slick, highly skilled player. I really think his injuries affected his play the last two seasons.

He also already has two years of development over anyone they could pick in that spot and he could play in the A next season.

Straka would add a big infusion of skill to the farm and is a lot closer to being NHL ready than almost any 4th rounder Shero could grab. This is one of those boom or bust, high skill picks we always clamor for on these boards..

Old
06-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Mr. T

Troy Rutowski is going back into the draft. I wonder why he and Colorado couldn't/wouldn't agree on an ELC.

He has decent size, good defensive instincts, a tiny bit of offensive and is a leader on the Winterhawks. To me, he projects to be a solid bottom pairing defender at the pro level. I think he's worth a 4th or 5th round pick.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Burgs

The Hockey News have us taking improbably named Latvian center Zemgus Girgensons at #22. Bob Errey already heard giggling with glee.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
The Hockey News have us taking improbably named Latvian center Zemgus Girgensons at #22. Bob Errey already heard giggling with glee.
I'd be happy with a Girgensons pick. Looks like a guy with decent upside and low bust risk.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
I'd be happy with a Girgensons pick. Looks like a guy with decent upside and low bust risk.
Agreed.

Unlike the past few drafts, I don't really have one guy that I'm hoping for this year. Whomever we pick, I just hope they have an above average physical component to their game. Seems that Girgensons does.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Jacob

I wouldn't be upset with Samuelsson in the 1st.. skating aside he does everything else you could ask of a player. Physical, good size, good hands, etc.

Ultimately it'd depend on who else is available, of course.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

Quote:
I was really impressed with Athanasiou's skating in the few games I've seen of him but I don't no if he has the skills to translate to an NHL player especially not a top 6 one. He relies too much on his speed which can be defended by NHL players.
I question his ability to utilize that speed in traffic. Too often, he seemed to take the outside route, instead of using his speed to drive to the net. I also don't know about his hockey sense.

Limited viewings, mind you, but he reminded me a bit of Rico Fata.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:46 PM
wej20

Quote:
I question his ability to utilize that speed in traffic. Too often, he seemed to take the outside route, instead of using his speed to drive to the net. I also don't know about his hockey sense.

Limited viewings, mind you, but he reminded me a bit of Rico Fata.
I noticed this to, though he did have one nice give and go in the memorial cup final where he passed it off to then used his speed to beat the defender to the return pass but he wasn't able to elevate the puck. I think he'd be a bit of a reach at 22nd.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

Quote:
I noticed this to, though he did have one nice give and go in the memorial cup final where he passed it off to then used his speed to beat the defender to the return pass but he wasn't able to elevate the puck. I think he'd be a bit of a reach at 22nd.
The bolded is the key. Much like Tom Wilson, I don't necessarily hate the player. I just hate the player as a 1st round pick. If these guys are still available in the 2nd or 3rd round, I'd be fine with the Pens taking a chance on them. I just think each has too many limitations to use a 1st round pick on them.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:10 PM
wej20

Quote:
The bolded is the key. Much like Tom Wilson, I don't necessarily hate the player. I just hate the player as a 1st round pick. If these guys are still available in the 2nd or 3rd round, I'd be fine with the Pens taking a chance on them. I just think each has too many limitations to use a 1st round pick on them.
Have you seen any of Daniil Zharkov? Brock thinks that he probably has the biggest upside of any forward in the draft not named Yakupov or Galchenyuk.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Have you seen any of Daniil Zharkov? Brock thinks that he probably has the biggest upside of any forward in the draft not named Yakupov or Galchenyuk.
He's projected to go late in the 2nd, I wouldn't mind the Pens picking him at 52.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

Quote:
I saw him a handful of times. It's hard to make an accurate judgment on him because all those viewings were against a bad Kingston Frontenacs team. So I don't know if he looked good because he *is* that good, or if he looked good because Kingston's defense sucks.

Having said that, he did look good. Good with the puck, nice scoring touch, and has size. He actually played pretty physical in the games I saw, but needs to use his size better when protecting the puck along the boards or driving to the net. He's also got consistency issues. One game he looked the most dominant player on the ice, the next I had to check the game sheet to even be sure he was dressed that night.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:37 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
He's projected to go late in the 2nd, I wouldn't mind the Pens picking him at 52.
Seems like he could be a really good pick at 52 if he's there. He seems like he has a lot of tools but the question is if he can use them correctly.

Closed Thread