HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 01:55 PM
rangers5000

vCash: 500
why would he go to toronto over new york?, unless hes a huge die hard leafs fan i see no reason why he would join that team who has very to no little chance at a cup and its not changing anytime soon

Old
06-02-2012, 01:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
why would he go to toronto over new york?, unless hes a huge die hard leafs fan i see no reason why he would join that team who has very to no little chance at a cup and its not changing anytime soon
Supposedly he's best friends with Jake Gardiner.

06-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Supposedly he's best friends with Jake Gardiner.
Id rather be on a playoff team than non playoff team with a best friend...

Old
06-02-2012, 02:00 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
I'm not disputing that though I'm simply saying why he may choose Toronto.

Along with the fact Burke draft him but I find that as a ******** excuse.

If I were him I'd personally choose the Tangers but I'm clearly bias.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
A couple of different reasons, for starters Justin Schultz was drafted by Anaheim, at the time the Ducks were under the management of Brian Burke, and coached by Randy Carlyle. Both men are now employed in Toronto, so there is some familiarity in that respect. Secondly, Justin Schultz good buddy Jake Gardiner plays for the Leafs, and their ties appear to be strong.

Quote:
“We talked about playing pro together,” said Gardiner. ”People always asked us about playing on the same pro team, our answer was always were not there yet. We definately talked about it though because we’re really good friends.”

Gardiner signed an entry-level contract with the Leafs that following March and left Wisconsin after his junior season, finishing the 2010/11 season with the Toronto Marlies.

This year, as a member of the Leafs, Gardiner has had some moderate success and for the most part surpassed the expectations put upon him at September’s training camp.

Schultz is still at Wisonsin playing out his junior year and again leads the nation in defencemen scoring with 1.60 points per game. He is still unsigned by the Ducks but by this spring it will be clear if he will go back for his senior year or not.

Although they aren’t bolstering the same blue line anymore, they stay in touch and even make plans when possible.

“I was actually talking to him a couple of days ago and I’m going to go back to Wisconsin for the All-Star break to see him and get some skating in,” said Gardiner. “It”s good working with him because we teach each other little things.”

Even though they are part of two different organizations, being just 21 years old, both should have lengthy NHL careers ahead of them; which leaves the door open for a potential reunion one day.

“We’ve joked around that someday, maybe we’ll play together again.”
http://communities.sportsnet.ca/thread/91481

Additionally, Schultz agent, Wade Arnott is based in Toronto. He also advises fellow Leafs: Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak.

Quote:
Coincidentally, according to the Orange County Register, Schultz happens to be advised by Toronto based Newport Sports Management and Wade Arnott, who oversees United States operations according to his bio on the company's website.
Finally, Toronto's AHL affiliate is in the same city as the big club, so if Schultz were to be demoted for any reason he would not have to rent out a new place, or live in a hotel.

In conclusion, Justin Schultz may not sign in Toronto, but there is legitimate reason to believe the Leafs are on his short list.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
A couple of different reasons, for starters Justin Schultz was drafted by Anaheim, at the time the Ducks were under the management of Brian Burke, and coached by Randy Carlyle. Both men are now employed in Toronto, so there is some familiarity in that respect. Secondly, Justin Schultz good buddy Jake Gardiner plays for the Leafs, and their ties appear to be strong.

http://communities.sportsnet.ca/thread/91481

Additionally, Schultz agent, Wade Arnott is based in Toronto. He also advises fellow Leafs: Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak.

Finally, Toronto's AHL affiliate is in the same city as the big club, so if Schultz were to be demoted for any reason he would not have to rent out a new place, or live in a hotel.

In conclusion, Justin Schultz may not sign in Toronto, but there is legitimate reason to believe the Leafs are on his short list.
That is compelling and looks like the Leafs will get nailed for tampering.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
The Toronto Maple Leafs are improving, and developing as good a young core as they have had in years. With Justin Schultz in the mix, their future looks even brighter. Granted, they are not as competitive today as the New York Rangers, but then again neither were the New York Rangers this time last year.

If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I would lean towards Schultz signing in Vancouver, he grew up in Kelowna, and is apparently a Canucks fan.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:40 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
The Toronto Maple Leafs are improving, and developing as good a young core as they have had in years. With Justin Schultz in the mix, their future looks even brighter. Granted, they are not as competitive today as the New York Rangers, but then again neither were the New York Rangers this time last year.

If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I would lean towards Schultz signing in Vancouver, he grew up in Kelowna, and is apparently a Canucks fan.
It depends on the make up of the person. Some players don't like playing in front of their family and friends most of the year.

Honestly it's a crapshoot between 3-4 teams IMO and each team has its positives and negatives. I wouldn't be surprised with any of these teams.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:

But you quoted that he wants to be with Gardiner. Seems like he has tampered with Gardiner and the Ducks seem to know about this.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Scion

Quote:
It depends on the make up of the person. Some players don't like playing in front of their family and friends most of the year.

Honestly it's a crapshoot between 3-4 teams IMO and each team has its positives and negatives. I wouldn't be surprised with any of these teams.
I would lower the mix to 3 teams personally, I have a hard time believing that the Oilers can attract anyone to Edmonton who has a choice. Edmonton is a dump, and the weather is terrible year round, and this is coming from someone who grew up there...

Old
06-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
But you quoted that he wants to be with Gardiner. Seems like he has tampered with Gardiner and the Ducks seem to know about this.
That article came out before Schultz was even a FA, and you cannot file tampering charges against a team for comments made by a player to another player, nevermind hypothetical comments. It is also important to mention that Gardiner never mentioned playing together in Toronto specifically.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:47 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
I would lower the mix to 3 teams personally, I have a hard time believing that the Oilers can attract anyone to Edmonton who has a choice. Edmonton is a dump, and the weather is terrible year round, and this is coming from someone who grew up there...
Yea I view Edmonton as a distant fourth but even though that may be the case they still have their positives, just not as many as the other 3 teams.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:06 PM
azrok22

Quote:
That article came out before Schultz was even a FA, and you cannot file tampering charges against a team for comments made by a player to another player, nevermind hypothetical comments. It is also important to mention that Gardiner never mentioned playing together in Toronto specifically.
You could absolutely file tampering charges based on that--on the theory that the player was acting as an intermediary for management. However, that doesn't mean that the charges will be substantiated.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I hope that's true. lol

The Ducks do have good players though. It's not like they're Columbus.

I'm starting to think that there's something that he REALLY wants, that Anaheim/Ducks can't give him. Which is causing him not to want to sign there.

It isn't money. It can't be the organization because even though they weren't a playoff team, they do have players.

I really think he wants to be home or with friends...
That is my take on this situation as well.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:16 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

Quote:

Vancouver New York Toronto....is my guess.

Maybe a 4th team being a sleeper. but I dismiss the rest the league.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Scion

Quote:
Yea I view Edmonton as a distant fourth but even though that may be the case they still have their positives, just not as many as the other 3 teams.

Edmonton's selling point is that they are a good young team who should compete in the future, if that is his top priority than the Rangers and Canucks should win out because they are more competitive and offer additional pro's. For New York it is McDonagh and Stepan, and for Vancouver it is the distance from home.

No matter how you slice it, Edmonton comes out as a non-factor, IMO. The only counter point I could see is that the Oilers offer the most opportunity due to the lack of quality on their blue-line. I have a difficult time believing the: Rangers, Canucks and Leafs couldn't do the same however.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
You could absolutely file tampering charges based on that--on the theory that the player was acting as an intermediary for management. However, that doesn't mean that the charges will be substantiated.
I should have been more clear, in theory you can file tampering charges for any number of reasons, but it would be next to impossible for a team to substantiate the charges on the basis of what one player may or may not have said to another player in a private conversation(s). You obviously agree based on the bolded portion of your post.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

David Jones would be a fine addition at the right price, but I see him as a third liner on a championship team. Admittedly, I've only seen him play 10-15 games, but he seems like a shoot-first Dubinsky. Better skater, better shot, but he's not a guy who can really create offense himself. Paying him ~4 mil a year, even on a short-term deal is a mistake. We paid Dubinsky to be the same player. Unless we're completely ready to move on from Dubinsky (which I'm not, unless it's in a package for a star like Nash or Ryan), it's not a great move to sign Jones for the 3.5-4 mil he'll likely get on the open market.

David Jones as THE top priority?

Please god no.

If we sign Jones, he better be the second or third biggest move we make, behind a Parise or Nash or Suter or Ryan.

If Jones is the biggest move we make, we're going to see more of the same: a strong defensive team that struggles to score more than 2 goals a game.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

VC or NYR make the most sense for him from a future potential. NY plays a grittier/more dangerous style, so I'd say VC should be the front-runner from a health standpoint, but east is where it's at and VC can't beat NY. Oilers I'm sure are on the list, but strongly doubt he'll end up there with their recent season failures. Toronto may be on the list because his buddy plays there and he liked them growing up, but they're not even close to be contenders. They don't have anything really definite. I'm sure some guys sign places that they want to play, but with his skillset I can't imagine him passing up a youthful contender for them. NYR is also younger than VC from what I know, so he would have a higher potential to have a great career here.

NY I'm sure has the best perks of any location outside of hockey(and inside as well). He knows McD and Stepan from the past.

Pittsburgh would not surprise me at all. He had that disgusting Crosby mustache a while back and they're definitely a contender, but who wants to live in Pittsburgh.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

The Leafs have a lot more holes in the lineup than the Rangers did last year. The Rangers only needed that highly coveted #1 center to become a competitive team and they did that over the offseason by adding Brad Richards. Looking at the Leafs roster, they are in need of a #1 center, a revamped bottom 6, a #1 defender and a reliable starting goalie. If Schultz truly wants to join a competitive team for the long haul, I'd pick someone like Edmonton, Philadelphia or New York.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Scion

It hasn't been mentioned alot, but in addition to the strength of the Rangers roster, and former Wisconsin Badgers, they have an impeccable track record in developing quality players from the college ranks. Derek Stepan, Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider, Brian Boyle, and Carl Hagelin have all come through the NCAA ranks, and have flourished on the New York Rangers. That has to appeal to Justin Schultz.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
It hasn't been mentioned alot, but in addition to the strength of the Rangers roster, and former Wisconsin Badgers, they have an impeccable track record in developing quality players from the college ranks. Derek Stepan, Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider, Brian Boyle, and Carl Hagelin have all come through the NCAA ranks, and have flourished on the New York Rangers. That has to appeal to Justin Schultz.
I think that's really going to be the selling point. Success of collegiate players. Two of whom are former teammates.

Rangers have a glaring need for Schultz. One healthy RHD under contract for next season. The only thing preventing Schultz from making the leap right onto our NHL roster is himself.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
The Leafs had a lot more holes in the lineup than the Rangers did last year. The Rangers only needed that highly coveted #1 center to become a competitive team and they did that over the offseason by adding Brad Richards. Looking at the Leafs roster, they are in need of a #1 center, a revamped bottom 6, a #1 defender and a reliable starting goalie. If Schultz truly wants to join a competitive team for the long haul, I'd pick someone like Edmonton, Philadelphia or New York.
The only big different I see between the two teams (at this time last year) is Henrik Lundqvist. The Rangers didn't have a #1 center prior to Richards, and Dion Phaneuf is no more a #1 defenceman than Ryan McDonagh or Marc Staal.

The Rangers youth played a large role in allowing the Rangers to take the next step. Following a successful AHL playoffs, the Leafs youth is expected to make a similar impact, albeit to a lesser extent.

I'm not suggesting that the Leafs will finish 1st in the Eastern Conference, as they do not presently have a Brad Richards and Henrik Lundqvist, or the means to acquire one, but they aren't as far off as some have suggested in this thread. The Leafs should legitimately compete for a playoff berth next season, they are not a lost cause...

And please don't mention Edmonton and competitive in the same sentence. Drafting 1st overall three years in a row is not competitive...

Old
06-02-2012, 05:40 PM
egelband

silly to go to a team because it's a) your hometown team, b) your buddy is there, or, c) cuz it's a convenient place for your 'advisor'. he should go where it suits him best professionally. wherever that may be.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
The Leafs had a lot more holes in the lineup than the Rangers did last year. The Rangers only needed that highly coveted #1 center to become a competitive team and they did that over the offseason by adding Brad Richards. Looking at the Leafs roster, they are in need of a #1 center, a revamped bottom 6, a #1 defender and a reliable starting goalie. If Schultz truly wants to join a competitive team for the long haul, I'd pick someone like Edmonton, Philadelphia or New York.
The biggest difference I see between the two teams (at this time last year) is Henrik Lundqvist. The Rangers didn't have a #1 center prior to Richards, and Dion Phaneuf is no more a #1 defenceman than Ryan McDonagh or Marc Staal.

The Rangers youth played a large role in allowing the Rangers to take the next step. Following a successful AHL playoffs, the Leafs youth is expected to make a similar impact, albeit to a lesser extent.

I'm not suggesting that the Leafs will finish 1st in the Eastern Conference, as they do not presently have a Brad Richards and Henrik Lundqvist, or the means to acquire one, but they aren't as far off as some have suggested in this thread. The Leafs should legitimately compete for a playoff berth next season, they are not a lost cause...

And please don't mention Edmonton and competitive in the same sentence. Drafting 1st overall three years in a row is not competitive or build

Closed Thread